'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hey Student Section!  (Read 19551 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Hey Student Section!
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:20 AM »
There is no need to get rid of it. We just need to refine it and make it better. When in unison, it sounds pretty good.

Nope, it's lame. Come up with something original and not so high school-y.

Sincerely,
A Grumpy 30-something

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »
There is no need to get rid of it. We just need to refine it and make it better. When in unison, it sounds pretty good.

Refine it? How? Half the students don't do it, and it falls apart after the 5th chant of "I believe that we will win".

It works for Utah State, not us. I was never really a fan of it. I just think there is room for more.

We got basically three cheers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
"I Believe" was cool once. There's not enough students to keep it cool every game.

Bring it back for a game if you want, that would be alright.

If you could get something with the "We are Marquette" chant similar, you got something.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
Buzz and the coaching staff needs to get on this organized cheer for the recruits.  It's clearly a recruiting tool that he is not utilizing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
Buzz and the coaching staff needs to get on this organized cheer for the recruits.  It's clearly a recruiting tool that he is not utilizing.

I understand this is said sarcastically but, honestly, if coaches thought that chants from the student section would help recruiting, you'd see coaches out there working with the students before every single game.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
That's all he ever said, his comments were misread.
Actually, it's not.  Unless you count what he said after Wade and I called him out on it.  Saying you personally know every recruit MU is after isn't the same as saying you personally know which recruits MU is after.

It wasn't misread.  It may have been mistyped by esard.  He may not have typed what he meant.  But it wasn't misread.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Never liked the "We are Marquette" chant.  The "I believe" chant is very cool when done right.  Please don't jump around.  Ever.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
Never liked the "We are Marquette" chant.  The "I believe" chant is very cool when done right.  Please don't jump around.  Ever.

Jump Around was great last year when the Wisconsin game was in hand and whoever is in charge of the Bradley Center music just trolled all the Badger fans in attendance.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
"I Believe" was cool once. There's not enough students to keep it cool every game.

Bring it back for a game if you want, that would be alright.

If you could get something with the "We are Marquette" chant similar, you got something.

Cool for big games.  But I agree vs Grambling probably not worth it except for practice for the freshmen. 

But the bottom line is you guys aren't the drunk energetic students.  You guys are the slightly buzzed alumni debating between blue and gold sweaters and whether you can wear jerseys so if you don't like it then re-enroll at MU get student tickets and complain about it then.  But till then you all had your chance at annoying chants now it's our turn. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
Cool for big games.  But I agree vs Grambling probably not worth it except for practice for the freshmen. 

But the bottom line is you guys aren't the drunk energetic students.  You guys are the slightly buzzed alumni debating between blue and gold sweaters and whether you can wear jerseys so if you don't like it then re-enroll at MU get student tickets and complain about it then.  But till then you all had your chance at annoying chants now it's our turn. 

Be careful. You may end up working for one of us before too long  ;)

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
Refine it? How? Half the students don't do it, and it falls apart after the 5th chant of "I believe that we will win".

It works for Utah State, not us. I was never really a fan of it. I just think there is room for more.

We got basically three cheers.
Improve it by increasing awareness among students...I feel like half the student section doesn't even know when to do the cheer. The "I Believe" chant does sound pretty good when done right.

Do you have any ideas?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
Cool for big games.  But I agree vs Grambling probably not worth it except for practice for the freshmen.  

But the bottom line is you guys aren't the drunk energetic students.  You guys are the slightly buzzed alumni debating between blue and gold sweaters and whether you can wear jerseys so if you don't like it then re-enroll at MU get student tickets and complain about it then.  But till then you all had your chance at annoying chants now it's our turn.  

Honestly, I agree with this.  Our student section is just fine.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
Be careful. You may end up working for one of us before too long  ;)

Haha I'm hoping the pro boxing thing lasts long enough for everyone to forget about things said on this board when I was a student. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
After you graduate, you can start bashing the students and wear turtlenecks & t-shirts tucked into your jeans.

It's great.

+1000

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »

Pretty sure I've always said the student section is fine...

I was in the same boat and was one that tried to organize the student section in my days. It's pretty much pointless though, there's too many students that really don't want to be a 100 percenter, and that's fine too.

My least favorite part of the student section was and always will be the general admission. Every year there are kids that deserve to be up front because they put effort and time into making that section better. I wish MU would try to work something out to keep those one timers that decide to show up early and steal seats out of 104.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »

I was in the same boat and was one that tried to organize the student section in my days. It's pretty much pointless though, there's too many students that really don't want to be a 100 percenter, and that's fine too.

My least favorite part of the student section was and always will be the general admission. Every year there are kids that deserve to be up front because they put effort and time into making that section better. I wish MU would try to work something out to keep those one timers that decide to show up early and steal seats out of 104.

Only the first part of my post was meant for you.  Outside of that I was more going after every person who's critical of the student section. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
I understand this is said sarcastically but, honestly, if coaches thought that chants from the student section would help recruiting, you'd see coaches out there working with the students before every single game.

That's not true. Many coaches DO think chants from the student section help recruiting. The issue is that the coach (and the school in general) cannot publicize/work with/etc students re: a recruit.

It's not done because it's not allowed.

-------
Anyway, I want We Are Marquette, Let's Go Warriors or insults only.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »

They tried an assigned seating scenario in the late 90's.

It might work better now, but back then, it didn't encourage frosh. to attend (they had the worst seats), and encouraged upper classmen to show up late (because they could stroll into the lower bowl and take their seat).

The team is obviously better now, so maybe you could do something different. But, GA is really the easiest and best way to get the most dedicated fans up close.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »
Please don't jump around.  Ever.

This one bugs me.  We, along with nearly every other professional sports arena, were doing Jump Around long before anyone in Madison.  The fact Badgers fans think they somehow own this is laughable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »
Honestly, I've long believed that one of the primary reasons that the MU student section can leave something to be desired is because the BC sells alcohol. Even as an underage student in the late 90s/early 00s, it wasn't very hard to get beer at games. The sale of alcohol brought with it a decent chunk of students who wouldn't normally attend games but wanted to go out and drink. It also leads to students constantly running back and forth to the concessions i.e., not paying attention to the game. On top of that, it's hard enough to get one drunk college kid to follow directions, let alone a whole section of them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »
Honestly, I've long believed that one of the primary reasons that the MU student section can leave something to be desired is because the BC sells alcohol. Even as an underage student in the late 90s/early 00s, it wasn't very hard to get beer at games. The sale of alcohol brought with it a decent chunk of students who wouldn't normally attend games but wanted to go out and drink. It also leads to students constantly running back and forth to the concessions i.e., not paying attention to the game. On top of that, it's hard enough to get one drunk college kid to follow directions, let alone a whole section of them.

Students are a lot richer today. Even allowing for inflation, no way could we have paid Bradley Center beer prices. We were known to sneak in a pint of cheap whiskey, though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
This one bugs me.  We, along with nearly every other professional sports arena, were doing Jump Around long before anyone in Madison.  The fact Badgers fans think they somehow own this is laughable.

Well seeing as the first version of it was originally performed at a frat party in Madison I doubt that we or anybody else were playing that before them. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Students are a lot richer today. Even allowing for inflation, no way could we have paid Bradley Center beer prices. We were known to sneak in a pint of cheap whiskey, though.

Not sure if it's richer so much as specials aren't what they used to be so students are more used to paying Bradley center prices. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
Jump Around was great last year when the Wisconsin game was in hand and whoever is in charge of the Bradley Center music just trolled all the Badger fans in attendance.

+1000

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »

Wait a second, I hope you're not in favor of having the BC stop selling booze? That would be terrible.
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback