'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is Next?  (Read 22648 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Who is Next?
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »
So, in last week.  Nunn, Jones, Washington and Johnson moving on. 

Nope.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
We have lots of guards.....which is good, great!

Why not Embiid?  With his athleticism and ability, image a true big that could keep up, play by play, with Buzz's desired level of intensity.  And contribute.

What am I missing, other than he's a relative newcomer to the scene?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »
We have lots of guards.....which is good, great!

Why not Embiid?  With his athleticism and ability, image a true big that could keep up, play by play, with Buzz's desired level of intensity.  And contribute.

What am I missing, other than he's a relative newcomer to the scene?

A lot of marquee programs want him, so he's gonna be a challenge to get.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:30:31 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Why not wait till 30% of the transfers next year just like this year with Lockett, MU is stacked the following year with veterans:

Gardner/Otule
Wilson/Taylor
Blue/Anderson/McKay
Mayo/Thomas/Burton
Wilson/Wilson

Wheres the playing time for another player anyway, take a transfer

2014 better be good, no center, no back-up power forward

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »
A lot of marquee programs want him, so he's gonna be a challenge to get.

No different than many of the guards we go after.

I understand that there are fewer really good bigs.

However, we will have two of the best serviceable bigs in the game this year....a track record of growing success with bigs being a critical part. 

With his connection to Milwaukee, we have an in. 

Buzz, get 'er done!

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »
Why not wait till 30% of the transfers next year just like this year with Lockett, MU is stacked the following year with veterans:

Gardner/Otule
Wilson/Taylor
Blue/Anderson/McKay
Mayo/Thomas/Burton
Wilson/Wilson

Wheres the playing time for another player anyway, take a transfer

2014 better be good, no center, no back-up power forward

I'm pretty sure McKay is a power forward, fwiw. We also have Ferguson at the 3.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
We are still in the running for Washington.

Not anymore. Committed to NC State.
Rough week on the recruiting trail.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »
Not really a bad week for recruiting.  The recruits see a stacked team in 2013-2014, playing time will be tight for a freshman, so you hold 1 scholy and wait for a transfer in spring
for 2014 where there will be time for a center to walk in and start or a solid power forward to give you a rotation of 3 bigs.  2013 or 2014 is a big recruiting year losing Gardner, Otule
and Wilson.  MU will only have Mckay, Taylor and Juan Anderson and he really is a small forward.  So they will need to recruit some bigs.  Probably will then need a 2 guard as well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
Not really a bad week for recruiting.  The recruits see a stacked team in 2013-2014, playing time will be tight for a freshman, so you hold 1 scholy and wait for a transfer in spring
for 2014 where there will be time for a center to walk in and start or a solid power forward to give you a rotation of 3 bigs.  2013 or 2014 is a big recruiting year losing Gardner, Otule
and Wilson.  MU will only have Mckay, Taylor and Juan Anderson and he really is a small forward.  So they will need to recruit some bigs.  Probably will then need a 2 guard as well.

I don't see how you describe a week that starts with you losing out on your top target (Nunn) and ends with several other targets committing elsewhere (Kam Williams, EC Matthews) or backing out of visits and dropping interest in MU (Darin Johnson) as anything but a bad week.
It happens. When all is said and done, you're going to recruit a lot more kids than you sign. But let's not sugarcoat things. It was a rough week when it comes to recruiting.

I understand what you're saying about recruiting bigs, but the fact Buzz and staff continue to go after so many wing players tells me they believe otherwise.

As for holding the scholie for spring, when was the last time MU didn't find a scholarship available in the spring that wasn't there in the fall? History says they'll have at least one available in the spring regardless.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »
I don't see how you describe a week that starts with you losing out on your top target (Nunn) and ends with several other targets committing elsewhere (Kam Williams, EC Matthews) or backing out of visits and dropping interest in MU (Darin Johnson) as anything but a bad week.
It happens. When all is said and done, you're going to recruit a lot more kids than you sign. But let's not sugarcoat things. It was a rough week when it comes to recruiting.

I understand what you're saying about recruiting bigs, but the fact Buzz and staff continue to go after so many wing players tells me they believe otherwise.

As for holding the scholie for spring, when was the last time MU didn't find a scholarship available in the spring that wasn't there in the fall? History says they'll have at least one available in the spring regardless.

It was a rough week for sure...perhaps a pre-cursor of things to come on the recruiting trail moving forward?  Wonder if this is just coincidental?  Or, perhaps if some of the passion for MU that once existed has been reduced, and we are now seeing this manifested.  But hey, I'm already in the tin foil club so nothing shocking about this post.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
Or, perhaps if some of the passion for MU that once existed has been reduced, and we are now seeing this manifested. 

Passion by whom?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
It was a rough week for sure...perhaps a pre-cursor of things to come on the recruiting trail moving forward?  Wonder if this is just coincidental?  Or, perhaps if some of the passion for MU that once existed has been reduced, and we are now seeing this manifested.  But hey, I'm already in the tin foil club so nothing shocking about this post.

Posts like these don't exactly help your case in that regard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »

Passion by whom?

Don't you see ... LW has made life so bad for Buzz that he's no longer passionate about Marquette, and therefore no longer signs every recruit he wants.
Or something.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
Don't you see ... LW has made life so bad for Buzz that he's no longer passionate about Marquette, and therefore no longer signs every recruit he wants.
Or something.
I do not think Larry williams has anything to do with it. However, I do think the status of the Big East hurts, the lost of several assitansts, and MU having to self-report itself to NCAA all are negative factors that could lower the passion of potential recruits coming to MU.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
Posts like these don't exactly help your case in that regard.

Obviously I don't really care.  Harder to sell something you lose some passion for.  Think recruits/parents ever ask if a coach will be at a school for the entire time of their 4 years?  Perhaps it is just a little harder to answer that question now days.  Not that I expect you to acknowledge this possibility, but perhaps others who don't have their head completely in the sand might consider.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 01:43:33 PM »

Nunn saw playing time being a premium next year, does not like to challenge, so he went elsewhere.  Small 2 guards are a replaceable.  Duane Wilson can play the 2 if needed, like
to see a taller 2 guard in the future.  The other recruits, oh well.  Buzz now knows he can start spending more time with Looney and Stone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
LOL, so your theory Ners is that the reason we are losing out on some recruits is because Buzz isn't recruiting that hard.  And that he isn't recruiting that hard because he has lost his "passion" for Marquette.  And that he has lost this passion because of LW.

Hey, whatever fits your narrative.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
If Buzz or any coach was ever going to just half-ass it, I'd rather see them resign. Buzz may be frustrated, I don't know because he doesn't keep me in the loop, but based on what I know of him, I don't think he would ever half-ass anything. I have more faith in him than that.

When have we ever not missed guys? Last year it was the same before we added TJ Taylor. The year before we had to settle late for Gardner and Mayo. Before that, we missed quite a few before getting Jae Crowder late. Maybe it's early to start panicking.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

Think recruits/parents ever ask if a coach will be at a school for the entire time of their 4 years? 

Maybe he should have considered this before he chased the SMU job. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »
If Buzz or any coach was ever going to just half-ass it, I'd rather see them resign. Buzz may be frustrated, I don't know because he doesn't keep me in the loop, but based on what I know of him, I don't think he would ever half-ass anything. I have more faith in him than that.

When have we ever not missed guys? Last year it was the same before we added TJ Taylor. The year before we had to settle late for Gardner and Mayo. Before that, we missed quite a few before getting Jae Crowder late. Maybe it's early to start panicking.

+1

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
Maybe he should have considered this before he chased the SMU job. 

Yeah, he chased it but SMU said they didn't want him  ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
Exactly.  We have a real nice class coming in.  Also, two of the players who might be leading scorers on this year's team are relatively low-rated spring signings.  (Gardner and Mayo.)  No reason to worry.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »

TJ Taylor doesn't fit that model--he committed to us more than a full year in advance--in May 2011 for the 2012-13 season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »
LOL, so your theory Ners is that the reason we are losing out on some recruits is because Buzz isn't recruiting that hard.  And that he isn't recruiting that hard because he has lost his "passion" for Marquette.  And that he has lost this passion because of LW.

Hey, whatever fits your narrative.

I wouldn't expect those who work in PR departments at universities, to have an understanding of being a salesman - which is basically what coaches are.  When a very successful salesperson suddenly becomes micro-managed, publicly reprimanded by a new management team - it is quite easy for one's attitude and enthusiasm to be affected.

You've got to be all in to compete in the competitive world of business and high major hoops - having your happy messed with is not a good thing.  And I do LOL at PR spin doctors who have zero responsibility for generating revenue or being measured in a tangible, quantifiable way to understand what it takes to get up and grind, sell, sell and sell, every day...with your livelihood dependent upon your ability to produce.

But hey, whatever fits your head in the sand narrative.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
Sultan is part of the 47 percent.

feedback