[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Charles Pierce, Boston Globe writer and MU grad, on the sexual assault issues  (Read 18246 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/2011/07/old_school.html

Charles Pierce, writer for the Boston Globe (also contributor to NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, SI, GQ and others) is a Marquette journalism graduate.  He calls it like it is.

"This story  (MU's sexual assault story) stinks like the Red Star Yeast plant on a hot summer's day.  The ongoing stonewall is completely revolting"

Says it looks like we apparently broke the law.  Maybe Gato can explain to him how the Tribune and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and other media outlets lied about MU personnel telling them that they broke the law but actually didn't, as only an attorney who refuses to answer questions honestly can do.

The story just doesn't die.  Good for Charlie Pierce.  Someone has a sense of morals and is not afraid to admit that his alma mater committed a major wrong in many ways.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:04:39 PM by Hoopaloop »
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

4everwarriors

• All American
Here it comes from a well respected writer. Major fit hittin' the shan. Tick, tock, tick, tock....
Down goes another head. Tick, tock, tick, tock.

Waitin' for ecompt to chime in.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:20:54 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Thank goodness for all the journalists that clearly know more about the law than the lawyers do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
The link must be broken because only one paragraph came up and it doesn't make any sense.  ::)
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

The Lens

• All American
This is just the Badger-loving Journal Sentinel staff making headlines to sell papers.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
Seriously, what does this mean? 

"And, by the way, what in the name of the FSM is going on here with the Milwaukee PD and the Milwaukee county DA? Any answer containing the phrase "Duke lacrosse case" is hereby ruled inadmissable.
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

Warriors10

• All American
He'll definitely be invited back to talk someday.

Pakuni

• All American
Yep, from his cubicle 1,000 miles away, Charlie clearly knows more about this situation than Marquette University, its employees, the Milwaukee Police Department and the Milwaukee District Attorney.
It's a conspiracy.
I just wish he could explain to me what this ongoing stonewall is all about.

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
Yep, from his cubicle 1,000 miles away, Charlie clearly knows more about this situation than Marquette University, its employees, the Milwaukee Police Department and the Milwaukee District Attorney.
It's a conspiracy.
I just wish he could explain to me what this ongoing stonewall is all about.

He also doesn't know who Broeker is, but he's sure he should be fired.

Pakuni

• All American

The story just doesn't die.  Good for Charlie Pierce.  Someone has a sense of morals and is not afraid to admit that his alma mater committed a major wrong in many ways.

What do you want done here (other than be given more opportunities to climb aboard your high horse and play Internet justice crusader)?
The university had a bad policy. It admitted it had a bad policy. It's corrected the policy and made other changes to address its errors. The AD is gone for errors he may have had nothing to do with.
What more do you want? Do you want Buzz Williams fired for the university's administration of a policy that was established at least six years before he set foot on campus?
Seriously, beyond self-aggrandizement and grandstanding, what's your goal here?

dgies9156

• All American
Charles Pierce, writer for the Boston Globe (also contributor to NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, SI, GQ and others) is a Marquette journalism graduate.  He calls it like it is.

I'm old enough to remember Charles P. Pierce as a columnist for the Marquette Tribune. Charlie is the kind of columnist who would  yell "fire" in a crowded theater and then blame the fire department for the ensuing mayhem. Anything for a story!

Look, Marquette made mistakes. It's unfortunate but mistakes are mistakes. There's mistakes of omission and comission. I tend to think that despite all the problems with our church, this one was the former rather than the latter. Let's see the policy change and, perhaps, even have an independent counsel review the compliance and issue a report beginning with the fall semester.

I believe in Marquette's values and I believe they do mean it when they say they made a mistake. It's those same values that have guided me in my life.

So, calm down Chuckie and go back to writing about the Big Dig.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Are we competing with BC for a local recruit!?!  ?-(

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Seriously, what does this mean? 

"And, by the way, what in the name of the FSM is going on here with the Milwaukee PD and the Milwaukee county DA? Any answer containing the phrase "Duke lacrosse case" is hereby ruled inadmissable.

Did he seriously invoke the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
Not to mention the worst error of the entire article...Red Star Yeast closed their Milwaukee plant years ago.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
i actually think the yeast plant odor wasn't that bad.  reminded me a little bit of when my ma would bake.  it was the slaughter house stink that was bad when the wind blew in from the south-southwest. or the alewive stink from the lake-i think it was the alewives ::)?? sometimes it seemed to come from the uwm sorority region ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:37:15 AM by wyzgy »

GGGG

• All American
Agreed.  The Red Star smell reminded me of Milwaukee.  Not unpleasant.

The "smell of death" from the stock yards (which have also closed) was terrible though.

🏀

• All American
Can we get an official ruling on what the smell is in Milwaukee then? Is it the lake?

Hards Alumni

• All American
Agreed.  The Red Star smell reminded me of Milwaukee.  Not unpleasant.

The "smell of death" from the stock yards (which have also closed) was terrible though.

I miss the yeast smell.

I do not miss the stock yards.

ecompt

• All American
You want me to chime in, 4ever? Fine. Here goes.
As a journalist, Charlie has a right to his opinion. I often do not agree with him, and I don't agree 100% with him here. But I admit there are people here (gato, pakuni, to name a few) who clearly know more I than do. I was upset and disgusted by the reports, but like Charlie I am hundreds of miles away from campus and don't know exactly what happened here. That's why I have deliberately not chimed in with my view, which could very well be misinformed. It's obvious the school made mistakes and it has admitted them. Will The JS continue to fan the flames? Absolutely. It's a UW paper, and news like this sells papers. 

MUCam

• All American

Says it looks like we apparently broke the law.  Maybe Gato can explain to him how the Tribune and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and other media outlets lied about MU personnel telling them that they broke the law but actually didn't, as only an attorney who refuses to answer questions honestly can do.

You take an opinion blog posting that includes the language "apparently broke the law," and you attempt to use that as support for your position that MU did in fact break the law? Wow.

Remind me to hire you as my attorney should I ever need one. This type of logic and reasoning is untouchable.

Hards Alumni

• All American
You want me to chime in, 4ever? Fine. Here goes.
As a journalist, Charlie has a right to his opinion. I often do not agree with him, and I don't agree 100% with him here. But I admit there are people here (gato, pakuni, to name a few) who clearly know more I than do. I was upset and disgusted by the reports, but like Charlie I am hundreds of miles away from campus and don't know exactly what happened here. That's why I have deliberately not chimed in with my view, which could very well be misinformed. It's obvious the school made mistakes and it has admitted them. Will The JS continue to fan the flames? Absolutely. It's a UW paper, and news like this sells papers.  

The Journal Sentinel has a big picture of Buzz Williams on the sports page that says, "Undesireable No. 1" above it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:09:07 AM by Hards_Alumni »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
I miss the yeast smell.

I do not miss the stock yards.

I tell people you can always tell which direction the wind is blowing in Milwaukee by the smell.  The three choices were stockyard, yeast and chocolate.  You mean all of them are now shut down?

reinko

• All American
The Journal Sentinel has a big picture of Buzz Williams on the sports page that says, "Undesireable No. 1" above it.

Saw that too.

NersEllenson

• All American
You take an opinion blog posting that includes the language "apparently broke the law," and you attempt to use that as support for your position that MU did in fact break the law? Wow.

Remind me to hire you as my attorney should I ever need one. This type of logic and reasoning is untouchable.

Cam - The reality is, is that the original poster, Hoopaloop, is basically the reincarnation of Chicos - so viewed from that lens....the content and thought process shouldn't come as a surprise.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I miss the yeast most of all. When I was out of Milwaukee for any amount of time, I'd always drive through the Valley. That yeast smell was the smell of home.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback