[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2012 HS Grads Recruiting  (Read 4249 times)

willie warrior

• All American
2012 HS Grads Recruiting
« on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
Wow--I started a post on who we were after, and a couple hours later Mr. Ferguson commits. It is probably just coincidence, but you cannot rule out Karma.

Should we now start a thread on Phil Nolan and hope that Karma is in play? What do other people know about this guy, skills, etc., and our chances?

Mr. Nolan, come on down!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

KipsBayEagle

Re: 2012 HS Grads Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
Its gonna be tough to have any idea what we're gonna do for the 2012 class until we find out how those last two 2011 schollies are going to be handled.  I think the ferguson commit is not gonna help with J.P. though, since that would make essentially 5 top 100 swing guys

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
Its gonna be tough to have any idea what we're gonna do for the 2012 class until we find out how those last two 2011 schollies are going to be handled.  I think the ferguson commit is not gonna help with J.P. though, since that would make essentially 5 top 100 swing guys

True, but not necessarily a death knell unless JPT plans on being a one-and-done, which is no guarantee. If he committed today, he'd be a freshman when Williams was a senior, Wilson and Mellow were juniors, and Anderson was a sophomore. Considering how Buzz rotates, that would probably give him some time as a freshman and plenty of opportunities by his second season. If he thrives on competition and earning his time, Marquette is still a great fit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
And if you think he has talent in front of him at MU...think about the talent in front of him at UNC or Duke.  If he's as good as advertised, he'll be playing anyway.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »

GGGG

• All American

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »

Yeesh...

Well...he is tall.

That's the one thing I was thinking when I saw that also....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »

Yeesh...

Well...he is tall.

Looks like he's playing against a bunch of 7th grade kids and not exactly dominating.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
Regarding the Nolan video -  You cannot just look at the player you see now - you have to be able to project - and it is harder to do with a big, than it is a wing or guard.  In recruiting bigs more than any other position you are looking for a lot of potential.  Nolan, in my view, though the video might suggest differently - shows he has a LOT of potential for a 15 or 16 year old kid that is 6'10". His body, coordination, shot form at his age and size look really good.  Yes he missed a lot of shots around the basket - but showed pretty good hands, just a matter of strength and him catching up with his body..from a coordination perspective...but the tools are all there..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
Regarding the Nolan video -  You cannot just look at the player you see now - you have to be able to project - and it is harder to do with a big, than it is a wing or guard.  In recruiting bigs more than any other position you are looking for a lot of potential.  Nolan, in my view, though the video might suggest differently - shows he has a LOT of potential for a 15 or 16 year old kid that is 6'10". His body, coordination, shot form at his age and size look really good.  Yes he missed a lot of shots around the basket - but showed pretty good hands, just a matter of strength and him catching up with his body..from a coordination perspective...but the tools are all there..

Personally, I think Nolan should be our top target for 2012 now that we have a proven scorer to help fill the void of DJO's graduation. By the time Nolan gets here, Otule will be a senior and Gardner a junior. That will give him a year to apprentice, adjusting to this level while we have a great 1-2 punch up front. By his sophomore year, he can contribute more behind DG, and finally be ready to take over as a junior. From a timing perspective, he's set up perfectly to slot right in as an important piece, and I really think he might be that legitimate 4-star big man we've been hoping for. I would love JPT, but I think Nolan might be more important from a long-term perspective, especially as he's less likely to declare after his freshman or sophomore year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
Personally, I think Nolan should be our top target for 2012 now that we have a proven scorer to help fill the void of DJO's graduation. By the time Nolan gets here, Otule will be a senior and Gardner a junior. That will give him a year to apprentice, adjusting to this level while we have a great 1-2 punch up front. By his sophomore year, he can contribute more behind DG, and finally be ready to take over as a junior. From a timing perspective, he's set up perfectly to slot right in as an important piece, and I really think he might be that legitimate 4-star big man we've been hoping for. I would love JPT, but I think Nolan might be more important from a long-term perspective, especially as he's less likely to declare after his freshman or sophomore year.

Good points..and I agree.  The only modification I might make would be that in looking at the complexion of MU's roster - I don't think it is IMPERATIVE that MU use both of its open 2011 scholarships.  This might be a unique case where Buzz banks 1 scholarship - so he can still go after the local star - JPT - and also go after a big for 2012 such as Nolan.  I just think that Tokoto could be that rare, local talent, that you make an exception for and bank a scholarship for in the hopes of landing him..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
Nolan is an interesting prospect. If he continues to develop, he will be a good one.

Hopefully he has found a school to say at for good. 3 schools in 3 years so far...not a good thing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Good points..and I agree.  The only modification I might make would be that in looking at the complexion of MU's roster - I don't think it is IMPERATIVE that MU use both of its open 2011 scholarships.  This might be a unique case where Buzz banks 1 scholarship - so he can still go after the local star - JPT - and also go after a big for 2012 such as Nolan.  I just think that Tokoto could be that rare, local talent, that you make an exception for and bank a scholarship for in the hopes of landing him..

I hate to say it, but with the current climate of recruiting, I could see Buzz filling the 2011 scholarship and going for JPT anyway. I don't like the idea, but scholarships are year-to-year contracts. We've already seen players back out (Maymon, Smith) after suiting up, and the university has the same right.

If Tokoto wants to come, my guess is we will find the room, regardless of how many scholarships are filled. I don't like the idea of it, but it's become common practice elsewhere, and for a local talent like that, I think some fans would look the other way (while others would cry "Newbill" at the top of their lungs).

I don't want Buzz to do that, but I can't see leaving a scholarship open for 2011. The way the game is today, you maximize your talent at all times. Sometimes, for better or worse.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »
nolan is so raw. I hope he can get some coaching,hes robotic,looks like hes playing for everyone else he need to play tough competition in his age group or above and find his identity.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »

Unfortunately during that year of not playing his freshman year everyone on the board will cry that he was a poor choice, not made for the big east, or unhappy with his playing time and ready to transfer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
Looks like he's playing against a bunch of 7th grade kids and not exactly dominating.

Very traditional 7th graders too.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »
As the old saying goes, you can't teach/coach height. He is ranked fairly high in his class--around 89 and 16th in his position by Rivals. Not saying he is the best, but he is close to 7 feet, has potential and is from Wisc.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
As the old saying goes, you can't teach/coach height. He is ranked fairly high in his class--around 89 and 16th in his position by Rivals. Not saying he is the best, but he is close to 7 feet, has potential and is from Wisc.

Basically, he's O'Tule in the 2012 class. But willie, you think O'Tule sucks, so why would you want another?

Is it the goggles?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
Basically, he's O'Tule in the 2012 class. But willie, you think O'Tule sucks, so why would you want another?

Is it the goggles?

Otule has developed nicely, but Nolan is a much bigger prospect than Otule. Consensus top 100 type player, 4-star prospect. He's not a Quincy Miller type guy, but he's definitely a couple steps above where Otule was when he came in, as a potential high-upside two-star.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »

Is it the goggles?
Real bright, Pal, comparing Nolan to Otule. What is the age difference, maybe 21 to 17? And I don't get the goggle question--maybe that is your way of being a comedian?
Never said Otule sucks. Have said he was a non factor in several games, which is true.