[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Does having a clean program matter

Yes
149 (83.2%)
No
13 (7.3%)
I have no morals, cheat away
4 (2.2%)
You ain’t trying if you aren’t cheating
13 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Author Topic: Clean program matter?  (Read 14042 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Clean program matter?
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
Best buds?  Hmm, words never came out of mouth or even remotely implied....imagine you exaggerating again.  Shocking. 

I'll say this, Al had plenty of disagreements with the NCAA on a number of issues. Most are well know, but he also served as AD at Marquette and understood the benefits of the NCAA, too.  He wanted to improve it.  He also for 20 years called games on NBC and then CBS (as well as the MU basketball TV network) and provided great enjoyment, including during the tournament. He enjoyed the tournament.  It wasn't 100% anti-NCAA based on what I heard and saw.

Not sure what you "heard", but Al did not like the NCAA, period. Nuance all you want, but he was no fan.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
I believe there was a fair deal of bravado from Al in regards to feelings on NCAA. No doubt that was not a fan, but had no problem making a bundle remaining in the game for couple of decades after coaching career ended. The NCAA was not a fan of Al, which made the situation bigger. But, bottom line, Al had no problem making a bundle calling games after coaching career ended.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2019, 02:37:59 PM »
I believe there was a fair deal of bravado from Al in regards to feelings on NCAA. No doubt that was not a fan, but had no problem making a bundle remaining in the game for couple of decades after coaching career ended. The NCAA was not a fan of Al, which made the situation bigger. But, bottom line, Al had no problem making a bundle calling games after coaching career ended.

One has nothing to do with the other. NBC/CBS employed Al, not the NCAA. Al loved college hoops, just not the fellas who ran it. Besides, Al never missed an opportunity to make money.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2019, 02:45:39 PM »
Not sure what you "heard", but Al did not like the NCAA, period. Nuance all you want, but he was no fan.

Well I heard based on working with him.  Maybe you worked with him too, maybe into the 2000's (he died in 2001, I had the pleasure of working with him 1996-99).  There was plenty he didn't care for, but it wasn't 100 percent as you stated....period.  The NCAA is the org so many love to hate, Al was an AD and had to work as a member of that organization.  Try to make it better.  I believe he was ticked at the NCAA as it related to men's basketball, in particular the various committees.  As an AD, that doesn't mean he was universally against the mission or how it benefited track, soccer, volleyball or you name it.  He also made a ton of money on the NCAA years after he left as a member of a NCAA institution.

Absolutes are dangerous....period.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:29:00 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
I was accused of being Chicos once early on which is hilarious given our occasional conversations in the superbad. I think there's a group that can't understand why anyone would like or even tolerate Tom Crean, so they assume any TC apologists are Chicos.

All that being said,  WarriorDad is totally Chicos.

LOL.  Ok, whatever you say.  You are correct on part one with TC.  Incorrect on part two.  Totally. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »
79Warrior

Al loved making hay, not so sure on Al loving college hoops.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »
79Warrior

Al loved making hay, not so sure on Al loving college hoops.

Goose,

Perhaps the coaching part. He was burned out on that. He did like doing the games on television. Ran into him several times as I was working for ABC back then and we crossed paths occassionally.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »
This. The people who hate Crean on here are ridiculous about it. Hes by far our third most successful coach.

Second.  Making the Final Four elevates him.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
Second.  Making the Final Four elevates him.

Don't want to open up that debate again but point is there is a pretty big step up from Hank and O'Neil to Buzz and Crean in my opinion.
Maigh Eo for Sam

connie

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
I have been spending way too much time with a bunch of North Carolina people recently.  You know, the program whose fraud was so large it basically outstripped the jurisdiction of the NCAA.  Sure there is the "I'm so ashamed" in private, but it didn't seem to adversely affect their enjoyment as their team was crushing Duke.  That table full of powder blue sweatsuit wearing NC fans were having the time of their lives rooting for their team.   I suspect that reaction would be pretty universal, all the holy card pictures on here to the contrary.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Goose

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:18 PM »
79 Warrior
Al loved the attention and the dough. If MLB paid him more he would have loved the MLB. I feel fairly confident in my feelings regarding Al.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »
Speaking of running a clean program. Does anyone know what this is all about:

https://marquettewire.org/4009566/sports/mens-lacrosse/mens-lacrosse-loses-third-straight-with-key-contributors-suspended/

Seems like Coach Amplo is walking the walk when it comes to running a clean program.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »

https://marquettewire.org/4009566/sports/mens-lacrosse/mens-lacrosse-loses-third-straight-with-key-contributors-suspended/

Seems like Coach Amplo is walking the walk when it comes to running a clean program.

The men’s team won today at Robert Morris

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »

19 players suspended?!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »

I must say the Marquette Lacrosse team has quite the high impression out here.
Last week, I took my daughter to an accepted students reception for the College of Charleston in someones home in New Canaan, CT.  (She's still figuring out next year with MU at the top of list.)  One of the parents said his other kid plays lacrosse for Jacksonville St. (The Coach was a Providence Coach when he was getting recruited and he just followed him the Jacksonville.)  Marquette was his other choice.  Raved about MU as a great up-and-coming lacrosse program and that it was very tough decision for his son.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
Considering members here highlighting what Pearl has done with no regard to his show cause penalty, or assistants involved in FBI probe, there is vocal minority that doesn't care if we win dirty.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »

Yeah, 29-40 sounds about right to me.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust