[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WSJ Ranking of Colleges and Universities  (Read 2924 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
WSJ Ranking of Colleges and Universities
« on: September 06, 2023, 01:45:31 PM »
WSJ rankings came out:

56. Marquette University
79. University of Wisconsin - Madison

8-)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: WSJ Ranking of Colleges and Universities
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 02:29:56 PM »
Now broadcast this everywhere and spread articles of why it's a better ranking than US World News
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 03:57:10 PM »
Better than Harvard of the Midwest?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »

My wife tells people that one of the things that impressed her when we first met was that I am an alumnus of Marquette, which she refers to as "the Harvard of the Midwest".
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 04:20:00 PM »
Get it right, you sound like an MU grad. ::)

Harvard is the UW-Madison of the East Coast.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 02:46:26 AM »
2024 College Free Speech Rankings

Presented by College Pulse and the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), the 2024 College Free Speech Rankings is a comprehensive comparison of the student experience of free speech on their campuses. These rankings are based on the voices of over 55,000 currently enrolled students at over 250 colleges and are designed to help parents and prospective students choose the right college.

https://rankings.thefire.org/

#230 Marquette, rated as poor

#248 (last place) Harvard University

Larry Summers, former President of Harvard

@LHSummers
I am proud to be on @TheFIREorg's advisory board as it does vitally important work standing up for open debate on college campuses. I was dismayed to discover that
@Harvard ranks last out of 248 schools in their free speech rankings.

@LHSummers

While I am sure that the procedures can be challenged, @Harvard clearly needs reforms to protect free speech and insure a culture of open debate.  I hope this will be a leadership priority going forward.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 05:36:37 AM »
Get it right, you sound like an MU grad. ::)

Harvard is the UW-Madison of the East Coast.

and berkeley of the left coast
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 08:40:38 AM »

Presented by College Pulse and the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), the 2024 College Free Speech Rankings is a comprehensive comparison of the student experience of free speech on their campuses. These rankings are based on the voices of over 55,000 currently enrolled students at over 250 colleges and are designed to help parents and prospective students choose the right college.

@LHSummers
I am proud to be on @TheFIREorg's advisory board as it does vitally important work standing up for open debate on college campuses. I was dismayed to discover that

@LHSummers

While I am sure that the procedures can be challenged, @Harvard clearly needs reforms to protect free speech and insure a culture of open debate.  I hope this will be a leadership priority going forward.
I think if I had to come up with a top 100 list of places in America where free speech is embraced, college campuses would be about 101, but just right before Evangelical churches.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 09:01:38 AM »
I think if I had to come up with a top 100 list of places in America where free speech is embraced, college campuses would be about 101, but just right before Evangelical churches.

Are you spending a lot of time on college campuses and evangelical churches?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 10:45:47 AM »
Are you spending a lot of time on college campuses and evangelical churches?

That's where the babes are.

Efficient Frontier

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 02:20:13 PM »
My wife tells people that one of the things that impressed her when we first met was that I am an alumnus of Marquette, which she refers to as "the Harvard of the Midwest".
I am sure your wife is an exceptional woman. However this take is baffling to me.

I say this with an unblemished record of staunch MU support.

I wouldn’t want MU to be Harvard. Crimson basketball sucks.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »

Spoken like someone with either no knowledge of college campuses or no knowledge of free speech. Possibly both.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023, 04:53:22 PM »
I am sure your wife is an exceptional woman. However this take is baffling to me.

I say this with an unblemished record of staunch MU support.

I wouldn’t want MU to be Harvard. Crimson basketball sucks.

I never said anything to the contrary. If she wants to think and say that, who am I to say"What?" ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 04:55:12 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 05:57:43 PM »

@LHSummers

@LHSummers

Uh huh.

"The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression is funded by donations from individuals, foundations, and businesses. While FIRE does not disclose its donors, tax filings confirm donations from the John Templeton Foundation ($2.5 million in 2016), 8 the J. P. Humphreys Foundation ($1.15 million in 2019), 9 and the Charles Koch Foundation ($1 million in 2019)."

https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/foundation-for-individual-rights-and-expression-fire/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2023, 09:14:17 AM »
Spoken like someone with either no knowledge of college campuses or no knowledge of free speech. Possibly both.

Yeah I would argue that we have done a poor job as a society with understanding what free speech means.

First, free speech does not mean you can say whatever you want without consequence.

Second, free speech does not mean you can say whatever you want in whatever setting you want.

In my experience, the issues with free speech on college campuses usually fall into one of the two categories above. Sure there are incidents where people shout one another down to prevent them from saying anything - those are unfortunate, uncivil and need to be addressed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2023, 09:38:27 AM »
Right, the very term free speech has been corrupted by a certain faction to mean, as they use the term, that every private entity should be forced to platform their views, that any criticism of their expressed views impinges on their free speech, and there should be absolutely no consequences when they express their hateful and/or batsh!t crazy ideas.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2023, 10:35:13 AM »
Sure there are incidents where people shout one another down to prevent them from saying anything - those are unfortunate, uncivil and need to be addressed.

And bluntly, someone shouting someone else down (as long as its not the university itself), is someone using their free speech in response to someone else's free speech.  It is uncivil but it is still a form of free speech.
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 10:51:20 AM »
Uh huh.

"The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression is funded by donations from individuals, foundations, and businesses. While FIRE does not disclose its donors, tax filings confirm donations from the John Templeton Foundation ($2.5 million in 2016), 8 the J. P. Humphreys Foundation ($1.15 million in 2019), 9 and the Charles Koch Foundation ($1 million in 2019)."

https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/foundation-for-individual-rights-and-expression-fire/

I'm less concerned with FIRE's donors than the methodology of this "study."
How much stock ought we put in a study based on the results of a self-selecting online poll?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 10:54:49 AM by Pakuni »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2023, 01:49:40 PM »
And bluntly, someone shouting someone else down (as long as its not the university itself), is someone using their free speech in response to someone else's free speech.  It is uncivil but it is still a form of free speech.

Shouting down speakers is mob censorship: Part 14 of answers to arguments against free speech from Nadine Strossen and Greg Lukianoff
https://www.thefire.org/news/blogs/eternally-radical-idea/shouting-down-speakers-mob-censorship-part-14-answers-arguments

Shouting down a speaker to stop an event from proceeding is mob censorship, full stop. It gives the shouters the power to dictate what anyone else is able to say or to hear. The idea that a group — or even a single individual pulling a fire alarm or banging a cowbell — can decide what others can and cannot listen to is incompatible with pluralism. It replaces the free exchange of ideas with a system of “might makes right,” and it is especially egregious for this to happen in the university context where the free exchange of ideas and the freedom to seek out any information is most important.

This is so obvious that, I believe, those who make this argument either do so in bad faith, or have not thought through the implications of this position. For example, no one would argue that one has a right to go to a university orchestra concert and play electric guitar from their seat. It is equally hard to imagine that those sympathetic to shout-downs at Yale and Hastings would make the same argument if, for example, a pro-choice speaker was shut down by rowdy pro-life protestors, or if a student shouted down his professor for the duration of class. And yet all of these examples logically follow from the asserted free speech “right” for some audience members to take over an event.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2023, 02:42:16 PM »
Shouting down speakers is mob censorship: Part 14 of answers to arguments against free speech from Nadine Strossen and Greg Lukianoff
https://www.thefire.org/news/blogs/eternally-radical-idea/shouting-down-speakers-mob-censorship-part-14-answers-arguments

Shouting down a speaker to stop an event from proceeding is mob censorship, full stop. It gives the shouters the power to dictate what anyone else is able to say or to hear. The idea that a group — or even a single individual pulling a fire alarm or banging a cowbell — can decide what others can and cannot listen to is incompatible with pluralism. It replaces the free exchange of ideas with a system of “might makes right,” and it is especially egregious for this to happen in the university context where the free exchange of ideas and the freedom to seek out any information is most important.

This is so obvious that, I believe, those who make this argument either do so in bad faith, or have not thought through the implications of this position. For example, no one would argue that one has a right to go to a university orchestra concert and play electric guitar from their seat. It is equally hard to imagine that those sympathetic to shout-downs at Yale and Hastings would make the same argument if, for example, a pro-choice speaker was shut down by rowdy pro-life protestors, or if a student shouted down his professor for the duration of class. And yet all of these examples logically follow from the asserted free speech “right” for some audience members to take over an event.

Time and place, dear Heisey. If someone is disrupting a scheduled event in a controlled space (like an orchestra concert or a professor teaching a class), they can and should be removed. If someone is saying something or an event is taking place in a public space, those around have every right to use their free speech to respond. FIRE knows this, and claims to support free speech, but they use ridiculous comparisons like playing over an orchestra or shouting during class time to try to use false parallels to push a certain agenda.

And I resent the assertion that I wouldn't make the same argument if a pro-choice speaker was being shouted down by an anti-abortion speaker in a public space. I would commend them for using their free speech to respond to free speech.
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2023, 03:36:18 PM »
Time and place, dear Heisey. If someone is disrupting a scheduled event in a controlled space (like an orchestra concert or a professor teaching a class), they can and should be removed.

And that's the type of shouting down I was talking about.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »
Time and place, dear Heisey. If someone is disrupting a scheduled event in a controlled space (like an orchestra concert or a professor teaching a class), they can and should be removed. If someone is saying something or an event is taking place in a public space, those around have every right to use their free speech to respond. FIRE knows this, and claims to support free speech, but they use ridiculous comparisons like playing over an orchestra or shouting during class time to try to use false parallels to push a certain agenda.

And I resent the assertion that I wouldn't make the same argument if a pro-choice speaker was being shouted down by an anti-abortion speaker in a public space. I would commend them for using their free speech to respond to free speech.

Orchestra concerts or a professor teaching classes are in public spaces (assuming a public university).  So, why can't they be shouted down?

A political candidate in a concert hall that requires a ticket to get into is also a public space. In other words, the same place and entry method (valid ticket) as the orchestra concert. But in this circumstance, it is allowable to shout them down.

So, yes, I need more explanation.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2023, 03:42:15 PM »
So, MU is better than UW-Madison. Discuss.  ;)

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2023, 03:51:31 PM »
Orchestra concerts or a professor teaching classes are in public spaces (assuming a public university).  So, why can't they be shouted down?

A political candidate in a concert hall that requires a ticket to get into is also a public space. In other words, the same place and entry method (valid ticket) as the orchestra concert. But in this circumstance, it is allowable to shout them down.

So, yes, I need more explanation.

There is a difference between a "public space" that is accessible to the public with little or no regulation involved, and a government-owned space.

Here is a good summary

https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/access-public-property

feedback