[Today at 02:58:54 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WSJ College Rankings  (Read 1724 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
WSJ College Rankings
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:04:09 PM »
We are 158th in the Wall Street Journal Rankings . The rankings are based on outcomes rather than acceptance difficulty. They don't divide by size the way US News Does so we are competing against all the liberal arts colleges as well.

There are many schools who we look down on that are far ahead of us in this ranking.

I suggest Dr. Lovell spend more time raising endowment money.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-top-u-s-colleges-1475030404
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
Re: WSJ College Rankings
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:49:49 AM by forgetful »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:01:13 AM »
We are 158th in the Wall Street Journal Rankings . The rankings are based on outcomes rather than acceptance difficulty. They don't divide by size the way US News Does so we are competing against all the liberal arts colleges as well.

There are many schools who we look down on that are far ahead of us in this ranking.

I suggest Dr. Lovell spend more time raising endowment money.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-top-u-s-colleges-1475030404

Stanford is #1 with an overall score of 92.

As noted above, MU is 158 with an overall score of 62.9.

But as always is the case with these measures, dozens and dozens of schools are really interchangeable.

Overall score of 64.9 is 127
MU score of 62.9 is 158
Overall score of 60.9 is 193

So 86 schools are packed within a 4 point range, all about 30ish points behind Stanford.  Any school in this range can move up or down 50 spots in the next year or two.

Regarding lots of schools we look down to ahead of us, this list as dozens of small east coast liberal arts schools very high on the list.  And these schools rank behind us (randomly picked by me based on a quick scan using name recognition) ....

Arizona
Iowa
Loyola
TCU
Baylor
Colorado
FSU
St Johns
Providence
Georgia
George Mason
Soth Carolina
Rutgers
Depaul
Auburn
Seton Hall
St. Joes (PA)
Kansas
Oklahoma
Iowa State (MU is better than "MU-west"!)
Oregon State
Missuori (the other MU)
Alabama

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:15:45 AM by Jesse Livermore »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:21:43 AM »
The Big East

Georgetown, 29
Nova  116
Creighton 133
Butler 154
MU  158
Xavier  229
Providence  235
Depaul  270
Seton Hall  283
St. Johns 402

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »

(They don't divide by size the way US News Does so we are competing against all the liberal arts colleges as well.)

Which means what?  That the small liberal arts colleges send more graduates to graduate schools or better graduate schools?

Marquette gave me a big brake and for that I will be forever grateful, no matter what the ranking.  I'm sure my experience is not unique.  Now that MU has become a preppy want-a-be I suppose things have changed.   

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
I was hoping that the WSJ would lend its name to a system with a more sensible methodology.  Unfortunately, I was wrong. 

11% of a school's ranking is based on how much money it is spending per student (nothing like incentivizing schools to continue to increase expenses and tuition).  8% is based on the average number of research papers the faculty members have published (this adds absolutely no value to undergrad students).  10% is based on a penis-measuring survey of reputation among academics (whereas reputation among employers might actually be relevant).  And 10% is based on the skin color of the person sitting next to you in biology class. 

That's almost 40% of the metric that is worthless.  That said, Marquette probably falls right about where it deserves. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »

(They don't divide by size the way US News Does so we are competing against all the liberal arts colleges as well.)

Which means what?  That the small liberal arts colleges send more graduates to graduate schools or better graduate schools?

Marquette gave me a big brake and for that I will be forever grateful, no matter what the ranking.  I'm sure my experience is not unique.  Now that MU has become a preppy want-a-be I suppose things have changed.
The ranking put in place a methodology which put its emphasis on outcomes rather than elite admissions. I guess an outcome would be going to a fancy graduate school.

You went back in the days when MU's primary purpose  was  to give people a big break. We are now a much different institution and we need to compete as such. By the way this is not a unique circumstance. For example,many years ago most of the Big Ten schools occupied a different niche and had a different student base then they do today.

The reality is we can and do compete, my beef with the administration is we don't market ourselves well . We also need a much bigger financial base to recruit students and teachers.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »
Right or wrong, for every person who reads the WSJ rankings, there are probably 1,000 who read the US News rankings.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »
Right or wrong, for every person who reads the WSJ rankings, there are probably 1,000 who read the US News rankings.

Right. 

I mean, correct. 

No wait, left.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
Overall score of 64.9 is 127
MU score of 62.9 is 158
Overall score of 60.9 is 193

So 86 schools are packed within a 4 point range, all about 30ish points behind Stanford.  Any school in this range can move up or down 50 spots in the next year or two.

I think you meant 66 schools within a four point range, although based on the numbers it's actually 67.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
Forget it...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:37:37 PM by buckchuckler »