Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How much do recruiting rankings matter?  (Read 3298 times)

Marcus92

• All American
How much do recruiting rankings matter?
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
FiveThirtyEight looks at how Virginia and Texas Tech built their current rosters. Neither team depends heavily on highly-rated recruits -- but the Red Raiders have just one Top 100 player according to the RSCI rankings.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/virginia-and-texas-tech-didnt-need-flashy-recruits-to-get-to-the-title-game/
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: How much do recruiting rankings matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:42:24 AM »
Recruiting rankings are important on a macro-level.  They are insignificant on a micro-level.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »

Most important is doing your recruiting Homework.  Ranking are only a Menu. I'm very interested in seeing how Dexter contributes based on his rankings in his career at MU.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »
I get it, but these teams are also massive outliers. Most years, the teams playing this weekend have numerous top-100 recruits. Not always, but more often than not.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
Consistently grab top 100 guys typically equals consistent success. Consistantly grab mid level 3 stars and you can expect to not be that great often. Sure there are outliers but yeah.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »
Rankin's no matta. Watt is important iz hoo da hell else iz recruitin' da playa. If your in wit Dook, UK, and da like, u bee hittin' da write kidz. Beetin' out mid-majors and lower results in suckin' ass, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
Rankin's no matta. Watt is important iz hoo da hell else iz recruitin' da playa. If your in wit Dook, UK, and da like, u bee hittin' da write kidz. Beetin' out mid-majors and lower results in suckin' ass, aina?

Always sucks to land a Jarrett Culver.

But why can't we get their coach, who was basically less of a coach than Culver was as a prospect?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

We may never sign another recruit if we just offer players that Duke & UK are also offering.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:32 PM »

Yep, if Wojo gets you, it means you suck. Unless you are a Hauser. And the Hausers don't like him. And if Wojo does accidentally land a decent recruit, he ruins them by "de-motivating" them. Neither individual players nor the overall team ever improve under Wojo, America's worst coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 04:14:01 PM »
Wojo has proven to be an excellent recruiter. The jury is still out on his ability to put those pieces together into a team. Each year thus far, we have had at least one if not several truly glaring deficiencies (even to a casual observer).

I think this coming season will tell a lot. I've got faith in Wojo. Getting these top players to sign is the hard part, IMO.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
IMO, recruiting rankings matter if very high on the list. If you are a top four recruiting class, there should be success with that class. Predicting how at 12 ranked class is going to perform is hard to judge. Would add, if the coach has history of winning with 12 ranked classes, it carries a more weight.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
OG Anunoby is one of my favorite examples in recent years. He was ranked a consensus 3 star. 294th in class.  Ended up being drafted by the Toronto Raptors in the first round after two seasons with Indiana.
https://247sports.com/Player/OG-Anunoby-34775/high-school-56746/

I am sure there are many more examples like this.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »
What is the backstory on why you speak like this?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »

Minored in gibberish at MU. Likes to use it in case he travels where it's spoken.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 06:12:30 PM »
Rankings are an important barometer of success. While not infallible, the coaches racking up the better ranked classes are the same ones who win. Consistently.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »
Minored in gibberish at MU. Likes to use it in case he travels where it's spoken.

He has the skill set to turn it off and on at will, and is more than capable of writing in a normal, flowing, descriptive manner. At times his gibberish is funny. Other times..um no. Sometimes his shtick gets right to the point..other times, meh.

Did anyone ever see that 60Minutes feature years ago where certain Dental patients somehow start speaking in a strange accent from a locale they’ve never even visited, let alone lived at? One lady from middle America all of a sudden starting speaking in a heavy English accent.

I wonder if it affects message board literary styles.  If it does....I wonder if Doc was a test patient once at the MU Dental School and a fellow student and future colleague performed minor oral surgery without sterilizing the instruments?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 08:06:27 PM »

Scoop doesn't discriminate against the mentally challenged? 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 12:49:35 AM »
He has the skill set to turn it off and on at will, and is more than capable of writing in a normal, flowing, descriptive manner. At times his gibberish is funny. Other times..um no. Sometimes his shtick gets right to the point..other times, meh.

Did anyone ever see that 60Minutes feature years ago where certain Dental patients somehow start speaking in a strange accent from a locale they’ve never even visited, let alone lived at? One lady from middle America all of a sudden starting speaking in a heavy English accent.

I wonder if it affects message board literary styles.  If it does....I wonder if Doc was a test patient once at the MU Dental School and a fellow student and future colleague performed minor oral surgery without sterilizing the instruments?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 01:14:13 AM »

At 12:33am, on another thread, I called out a bad comparison the chemtrail pilot made between Katin Reinhardt and Markus Howard.

At 12:36am, he posted a GIF of a fighter jet crashing and burning with the pilot thankfully ejecting. While I thought just maybe “crash” was admitting it was a bad analogy.... I now see that it was directed at me.

I thank you for your service to our great country, sir.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 05:30:25 AM »
At 12:33am, on another thread, I called out a bad comparison the chemtrail pilot made between Katin Reinhardt and Markus Howard.

At 12:36am, he posted a GIF of a fighter jet crashing and burning with the pilot thankfully ejecting. While I thought just maybe “crash” was admitting it was a bad analogy.... I now see that it was directed at me.

I thank you for your service to our great country, sir.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »
Recruiting rankings are highly based on the players offensive ability. Virginia & Texas Tech built their teams on defense. Wojo is an offensive coach and I do not see him ever having an elite defensive team. That is surprising considering he was a defensive player.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
Recruiting rankings are highly based on the players offensive ability. Virginia & Texas Tech built their teams on defense. Wojo is an offensive coach and I do not see him ever having an elite defensive team. That is surprising considering he was a defensive player.

Virginia’s offense is elite tbh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback