[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is going to Prep School?  (Read 22470 times)

radome

• Team Captain
Re: Who is going to Prep School?
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »
pretty sure that is not the case.
Hards_alumni, could you elaborate? Is the old LOI still good or what part is off the mark?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
Isn't the date a player can sign an LOI tied to his HS class, as opposed to the year he will enroll in college? Because as this case would seem to indicate the two do not necessarily need to be the same. One of those players who signed an LOI is currently in his Senior year of HS, that doesn't necessarily mean he will be enrolled in college next year. I'm not sure what the rule is, but it it certain that the signed LOI would become invalid because of a year of prep school?

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
Isn't the date a player can sign an LOI tied to his HS class, as opposed to the year he will enroll in college? Because as this case would seem to indicate the two do not necessarily need to be the same. One of those players who signed an LOI is currently in his Senior year of HS, that doesn't necessarily mean he will be enrolled in college next year. I'm not sure what the rule is, but it it certain that the signed LOI would become invalid because of a year of prep school?
That would explain it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »
Believe me, in the Chicago prep basketball scene, you definitely want to try and get in tight with the Irvin family...especially in light of their vocal disappointment with DePaul's recent hiring of Oliver Purnell...they control some of the top talent Chicago has to offer...

As for Smith, he hasn't fallen off one bit.  During the State Tournament there was an article in the Chicago Sun Times that basically heralded Reggie Smith as being one of the best all-around players in the city of Chicago...

It'd be a real shame to miss out on his talent and the Mac Irvin pipeline...

No, I meant if he falls off while in prep school.  I know he had a very good year this year.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
His AAU season / AAU coach would be the key influence on swaying him if he explodes or if he falls off enough to not believe he could get playing time here (unlikely).  If he still comes here he will sign in the early signing period, with none or very little of the prep season underway to have an effect.  If for some reason he would wait until the spring signing period next year we would have all but lost out.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »

No, I meant if he falls off while in prep school.  I know he had a very good year this year.

Yeah, I definitely misread that...my bad...

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
That would explain it.

Except that's not the case.  If one of our currently committed/signed recruits goes to prep school his currently signed NLI is voided.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »
Link to this rosiak report? ?

If this is true its gonna be sweet to go to Madness and see 3 huge guys (Otule, Mbao, Gardner) in Marquette Unies
Warrior in the class of 2011.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »
Link to this rosiak report? ?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/92722969.html

It was just further down in the topic list.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »
Maybe someone could take some time off and get a job at a local scrap yard like Stanley Robinson.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
Maybe someone could take some time off and get a job at a local scrap yard like Stanley Robinson.

;D

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »
Except that's not the case.  If one of our currently committed/signed recruits goes to prep school his currently signed NLI is voided.
So it is basically a verbal until a new LOI?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
It's not even that. Don't count on the player ever wearing a Warrior uni.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
It's not even that. Don't count on the player ever wearing a Warrior uni.

Agreed.  If I were recruited by MU...selected MU...signed by MU...and then it was suggested that I go to prep school instead, MU would not be high up on my list after that year of prep school.

Now, if I went to prep school for academic reasons instead?  Maybe...

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »

Agreed.  If I were recruited by MU...selected MU...signed by MU...and then it was suggested that I go to prep school instead, MU would not be high up on my list after that year of prep school.

I guess I am too trusting. I assumed academics but I can appreciate what you indicate if it is suggested.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »
So it is basically a verbal until a new LOI?

I guess you could say that, but it comes along with the fact that no other coaches can contact him or recruit him directly until the existing NLI is voided.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
;D

Where else are you going to learn to scream after every dunk or layup?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »

I don't know who Mac Irvin is and I don't really care.

But if Smith falls off the map, why would we want him?  Similarly, if he explodes, he might want to go elsewhere.

Sultan - I think others have pretty much told you who Mac Irvin is, and it should be clear to you now why you should care who he is.  It would be idiotic for Buzz to screw over the first Mac Irvin player he signs, and Buzz is no idiot.  Bottom line is that if it is Smith who is going to prep school, it is not because Buzz is suggesting he go to work on his game for 1 year - It will only be because Smith didn't qualify academically.  I would bet just about everything I had, that if it is Smith going to prep school - it will only be because he didn't qualify academically.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
Sultan - I think others have pretty much told you who Mac Irvin is, and it should be clear to you now why you should care who he is.  It would be idiotic for Buzz to screw over the first Mac Irvin player he signs, and Buzz is no idiot.  Bottom line is that if it is Smith who is going to prep school, it is not because Buzz is suggesting he go to work on his game for 1 year - It will only be because Smith didn't qualify academically.  I would bet just about everything I had, that if it is Smith going to prep school - it will only be because he didn't qualify academically.

I would second that bet, Ners.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

I agree with you.  I just don't think MU should be beholden to re-offer if he goes prep.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
I don't believe they are beholden to reoffer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
I don't believe they are beholden to reoffer.

I know they aren't legally beholden.  I mean even ethically beholden.  Or even beholden because of the Mac Irvin connection.

I am very confident that if Reggie goes prep, he will never play for MU.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
I guess you could say that, but it comes along with the fact that no other coaches can contact him or recruit him directly until the existing NLI is voided.

Perhaps.  It depends on the reason for going to prep school. 

If the player is denied admission by MU, or he doesn't meet NCAA requirements, the NLI is void at that point--not a year later. 

Check out the NLI reference guide (2nd link at this site:)
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli/document+library

If MU denies admission or the player doesn't qualify under NCAA rules, it means its open season for other coaches until the fall signing period.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2010, 04:26:27 PM »
A kid can take summer school classes all the way through summer before being denied by the NCAA or MU.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »

I read Rosiak's article a couple nights ago, but I don't recall anything that indicated or implied that someone was being told to go to prep school.  In fact, the way it was presented led me to believe that someone wasn't qualifying and that the prep school route would be "Plan B" for the recruit, not for MU.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.