[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is going to Prep School?  (Read 22476 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Who is going to Prep School?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:15 AM »
Whoever is going to prep school, their chances of eventually ending up at MU have to be much improved if they end up at the new prep program at St. John's Military In Delafield, WI. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:24 AM »
I don't mind either him or Newbill going to Prep school because we are loaded at guard, plain and simple.

Are we really? I know that we have been for the past 5 years or so, but today, I'm not so sure about that...

DJO: Proven commodity, no doubt, but definitely a 2.
Cadougan: Never really settled last year after the injury, I expect him to be vastly improved, but we won't really know until November-December.
Buycks: Very streaky last year, only showed flashes, needs to provide more as a senior.
Blue: Top recruit could add a lot, or could struggle to adjust as a Freshman.
Newbill: Seems to be in great shape, but unheralded recruit...great find by Buzz, or a guy who won't shine for 2-3 years?
Smith: May not be here, if this thread is accurate, but even if he is, he's still a Freshman that won't be expected to contribute much.
Frozena: Beloved by the fans, but won't be expected to provide any regular contribution outside of practice.

Can other guys drift back there? Sure. Maybe Butler and Jones can help fill gaps when we play big. But when you look at it, I'd say there are a lot more questions in the backcourt than there are in the frontcourt. At least up front, we know we have solid contributors in Fulce and Butler, a JuCo All-American in Crowder, and a reportedly much improved Otule. In the backcourt, we have one proven starter, one unproven Sophomore, one streaky Senior, and a gaggle of Freshmen. Oh, and Frozena.

I do believe that Cadougan will do well. I do expect Buycks to be more settled. I do believe that Blue will be a contributor as a Freshman. And I do think that Newbill and/or Smith can get some meaningful minutes. But those are all just one man's belief. We are nowhere near as well set in the backcourt as we were last year, when we had two senior starters and two JuCo All-Americans joining the fold.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »
Last year who did we have besides Acker, Cubi, DJO, and the not too frequent Buycks? We have at least the same amount of guards as last year, and if you go with the unproven logic on Newbill even though I wasn't sold on him at first just think how little anyone knew about DJO. In Buzz I trust

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 12:57:10 AM »
I never minded Buycks last year.  He played good defense and had the ability to create his own shot.  He was not a huge 3 point threat, but hopefully he works on it.  He got passed because DJO emerged as a player and Cubillan and Acker passed him.

I think Buycks will be great next year, and I would not put starting at PG past him to be honest.  I think he gets minutes at the two in a three guard offense.  There is no way he wants to lose lots of minutes to freshman as a senior.  He could be the most competitive player in practice.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:31 AM »
Reggie Smith isn't going to prep school. He will be at Marquette in July

Are you just speculating or do you have a reliable source and know this FOR SURE? If so, how do you know this?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 02:51:12 AM »
Last year who did we have besides Acker, Cubi, DJO, and the not too frequent Buycks?

We had two seniors who we knew could both handle the ball well. Acker and Cubillan both exceeded expectations, but we knew going in that we would be relying heavily on them. And DJO and Buycks came in as JuCo All-Americans, which meant that while we wouldn't necessarily expect them to be stars, we would expect them to be solid contributors.

This year, DJO is a proven contributor. Buycks probably carries the same expectation that Acker and Cubillan would have brought in last year. And other than that, we pretty much have a group of freshmen and one soph that got limited time. And despite Blue's high profile, I still don't expect more out of him and Newbill than I would a pair of JuCos like DJO and Buycks that had proven they could succeed at a higher level than high school.

As I said, I think we'll be fine, but to say decisively that we are loaded at guard is not even remotely a proven statement. Loaded at guard was when we had the big three and both Acker and Cubillan coming off the bench (and look at how that broke down when James got injured). I trust Buzz. I think we will again surprise people, and that we can challenge for the Big East title. But I also realize that there are a lot of unknowns, especially in the backcourt.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:54:18 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »
I never minded Buycks last year.  He played good defense and had the ability to create his own shot.  He was not a huge 3 point threat, but hopefully he works on it.  He got passed because DJO emerged as a player and Cubillan and Acker passed him.

I think Buycks will be great next year, and I would not put starting at PG past him to be honest.  I think he gets minutes at the two in a three guard offense.  There is no way he wants to lose lots of minutes to freshman as a senior.  He could be the most competitive player in practice.

buycks was ok. i was always so tense when he had to ball because i felt like he turned it over so frequently. i felt like when he had the ball he was good for a deep 2-pointer, an and-1 style lay-up, or a turnover. i'm nervous if he's an option for pg to be honest with you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 08:00:03 AM »
Are you just speculating or do you have a reliable source and know this FOR SURE? If so, how do you know this?

It's the same poster who claimed he talked with Mbao (but he spelled it wrong) and said that he wasn't coming back.  Don't hold your breath with this one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
Is it safe to assume that 1) If it is Reggie, that 2) He is headed to prep school due to not qualifying?  I thought Buzz was pretty high on him at the siging period, and that Reggie was really excited to be a Warrior.  If a kid can't qualify to be a player in their first year, why would the player be mad and not want to come to the original school?  I guess the player could feel the school should have Prop 48'd him, like we did with D-WAde - where you still give him the scholarship even though he's ineligible to play.

My guess is that Buzz told him (up front) if he didn't qualify for MU, that he would ask him to go play a year at a prep school - and probably asked Reggie if he was okay with this..up front.  I don't see Buzz wanting to jack around a Mac Irvin player, as I'm sure that is a relationship he wants to continue to cultivate.  And Buzz is no idiot when it comes to relationship managment.

The BE doesn't allow Prop 48s.

If he is going to prep school, it's because of qualification issues.  The only other choice is to spend two years at a junior college.

Why are people thinking that this is some pre-arranged deal, and that if he goes to pre school that both parties would still be interested next year?  My guess is that it would be very unlikley that Smith ever gets here if he isn't here in July.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »

If he is going to prep school, it's because of qualification issues.  The only other choice is to spend two years at a junior college.

Why are people thinking that this is some pre-arranged deal, and that if he goes to pre school that both parties would still be interested next year?  My guess is that it would be very unlikley that Smith ever gets here if he isn't here in July.

My guess, fond memories of the McGuire years, in the days before Junior College coaches moved up to Division I assistant jobs and brought their best player with them.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »

Based on your answer above, I don't see any reason why both parties wouldn't still be interested next year?  Again assuming it is Smith, and he didn't qualify, and the Big East doesn't allow Prop 48's - what other option did MU or Smith have?  None, right?  It isn't Buzz's or MU's fault if a player doesn't qualify, nor is it either party's fault the Big East doesn't allow Prop 48s.  I don't see why the player would be bitter toward the coach or school, or why Buzz would be bitter toward the player?  Plus, throw in the Mac Irvin connection, and that certainly wouldn't be a relationship Buzz would want to tarnish, by "wronging" one of Mac Irvin's players.  I just don't see why it couldn't work 1-year down the road - nor do I think it is unlikely (if MU is offering a borderline qualifier), that they have an up-front contract (verbal agreement) that states - Hey, if for some reason you dont' qualify, are you okay with going to a prep school for 1-year?  We still like you as a player, want you - but are you willing to go that route if necessary - since we can't Prop 48 you as the Big East doesn't allow it?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »
I know that it is not usual for a prep school player to come back to the original LOI school, but we do not have a usual coach.  How many players (see Fulce) followed Buzz through three schools?  Buzz seems like a relationship guy.  He seems to have the best interests of the players in mind.  I would not be surprised if our prep schooler remains our Warrior.  I for one am really excited about all of the new class, so I am hopeful all of the men become Warriors.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »
No one has speculated that one of the other incoming freshmen might be going the prep school route.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 09:14:44 AM »
Many students go to a post grad prep program like Hargrave or Lawrenceville for reasons other than academics. Some, who are graduating from HS at 17 go for the extra year of growth and maturity and in some cases to improves their chances for a scholarship at a bigger time program. If they go this route they can enter college with 4 years of eligibility and are not considered  prop 48 if they were prepping for non-academic issues.

JUCO and the loss of a year of eligibility for whomever is the person under consideration for this is not the only possibility here. It's called a sign and place and happens every day in major college athletic programs, especially football.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »
Prop 48 hasnt existed for something like 10 years.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:03 AM »
Just throwin this out there, but a recruit could potentially commit and then subsequently go to prep school.  The reason being that this way he wouldn't have to deal with other schools and recruiters constantly calling him and what not.  Then once he starts at the prep at the end of summer/early fall he only has to deal with that for a month or two before he re-signs a NLI to again play for the same school, since the old one would be voided.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »
No one has speculated that one of the other incoming freshmen might be going the prep school route.

That's because Jones is by all accounts an excellent student, and he already went the Montverde route for his senior year so it wouldn't make much sense for him to go prep.  I would be absolutely floored if Blue went prep, considering how involved he is already (seemingly on campus constantly) and the sentiment from Rosiak's recent wrap-up.  Crowder will be on campus no question.  The only one that would make even an ounce of sense is Vander since he's still young, but you don't send someone that talented to prep school if he's qualified just because he's a bit young for his grade.  That leaves the two relative unknowns in Newbill and Smith for people to speculate on.  Who knows, it might even be Gardner, but then the LOI was completely unnecessary to sign at this juncture, same with Newbill.  Smith seems to be the most logical candidate taking all of that into account.

Regardless of who it is that goes prep, I just hope it's at one of Buzz' Texas specials with a couple 2011 studs he can buddy up with and bring along to MU.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
I know that it is not usual for a prep school player to come back to the original LOI school, but we do not have a usual coach.  How many players (see Fulce) followed Buzz through three schools?  Buzz seems like a relationship guy.  He seems to have the best interests of the players in mind.  I would not be surprised if our prep schooler remains our Warrior.  I for one am really excited about all of the new class, so I am hopeful all of the men become Warriors.

Is it too soon for a player to sign a 2011 LOI?  Because if that's the case, maybe our prep bound recruit enrolls at a prep school and inks his 2011 LOI to Marquette?

Is that even a possibility?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
Is it too soon for a player to sign a 2011 LOI?  Because if that's the case, maybe our prep bound recruit enrolls at a prep school and inks his 2011 LOI to Marquette?

Is that even a possibility?

Not until the early signing period in November.  A lot can happen between now and then, so this won't be a failsafe route for us to take.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 10:43:43 AM »
Based on your answer above, I don't see any reason why both parties wouldn't still be interested next year?  Again assuming it is Smith, and he didn't qualify, and the Big East doesn't allow Prop 48's - what other option did MU or Smith have?  None, right?  It isn't Buzz's or MU's fault if a player doesn't qualify, nor is it either party's fault the Big East doesn't allow Prop 48s.  I don't see why the player would be bitter toward the coach or school, or why Buzz would be bitter toward the player?  Plus, throw in the Mac Irvin connection, and that certainly wouldn't be a relationship Buzz would want to tarnish, by "wronging" one of Mac Irvin's players.  I just don't see why it couldn't work 1-year down the road - nor do I think it is unlikely (if MU is offering a borderline qualifier), that they have an up-front contract (verbal agreement) that states - Hey, if for some reason you dont' qualify, are you okay with going to a prep school for 1-year?  We still like you as a player, want you - but are you willing to go that route if necessary - since we can't Prop 48 you as the Big East doesn't allow it?

I don't know who Mac Irvin is and I don't really care.

But if Smith falls off the map, why would we want him?  Similarly, if he explodes, he might want to go elsewhere.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
Irvin is Smith's AAU coach who reguarly has the top talent in Chicago and is reportedly very influential down there.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »
Irvin is Smith's AAU coach who reguarly has the top talent in Chicago and is reportedly very influential down there.

Exactly...Mac Irvin 17U roster...according to ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5066721

Players that MU is/was involved with:
Blackshear
Shaw
Sam Thompson
Dre Henley
Mychal Henry

That is a crap load of talent on one team.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »

I don't know who Mac Irvin is and I don't really care.

But if Smith falls off the map, why would we want him?  Similarly, if he explodes, he might want to go elsewhere.

Believe me, in the Chicago prep basketball scene, you definitely want to try and get in tight with the Irvin family...especially in light of their vocal disappointment with DePaul's recent hiring of Oliver Purnell...they control some of the top talent Chicago has to offer...

As for Smith, he hasn't fallen off one bit.  During the State Tournament there was an article in the Chicago Sun Times that basically heralded Reggie Smith as being one of the best all-around players in the city of Chicago...

It'd be a real shame to miss out on his talent and the Mac Irvin pipeline...

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »
So, if what Rosiak is saying is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, then we basically have a verbal from someone heading to prep school (even if they already signed an LOI), with the requirement to sign a new LOI (or resign or honor the old signing or whatever you call it) during the Fall signing period. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 03:53:20 PM »
pretty sure that is not the case.