'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on recruiting  (Read 6188 times)

tower912

• All American
Buzz on recruiting
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
On Homer's show today, Buzz said "I'm not running anyone off, but you have to earn the right to be here."     This after discussing whether Otule, Fulce, or EWill produced adequately and whether or not they had bought completely into the concept of getting better every day.  I, like many other's, including an unnamed source from within MU, thinks somebody is going to prep school.    But I can't help but think from that quote that if somebody isn't doing things Buzz's way, not trying to get better every day, not going to class, not behaving in a mature fashion, that Buzz will cut him loose.    But he will do it honestly and openly.  ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
Re: Buzz on recruiting
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
What I took from his comments on Joe, Chris, abd Erik was that although none of them have produced much on the court yet they are all doing what they need to do in the classroom, in the weight room, in practice and as representatives of Marquette.

I think his point was that as long as players do that there will always be a place for them at Marquette.

I think his point is you have to earn your scholarship every day at Marquette.

He also said that everybody knows what is expected here when they are being recruited.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
seems like whoever the incoming person is is struggling academically or perhaps even with character issues. As Buzz says you need to earn it

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »
I, too, interpret his comments as 912 has. The translation, however, is the players know what is expected of them and they better do it or we'll find someone who will. Back in the day, Al would never pull a scholarship out from under a player. Felt he didn't want that reputation or the negative recruiting that it would result in.
The college scene has changed ($$$) and so has the pressure on coaches to win. Therefore, it is somewhat a matter of semantics, but, while Buzz has laid out the ground rules, I also know he won't hesitate to cut a player who doesn't buy into program.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:51 PM »
pretty much agree with everyone is saying, but Buzz treads a slippery slope a bit too.  While I do like the expression that everyone needs to take care of their business to keep their spot, thats the kind of thing that can get manipulated, misconstrued, or mean different things to different people.  I trust Buzz and believe he is a guy of his word, so I don't particularly worry about him using those words in a negative way.  More than anything, I think he does really care for his players as people.  But out of full fairness and disclosure, those are the kinds of words that if said by a coach we thought less of, would be criticized here as leaving an out to run someone off.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
I, too, interpret his comments as 912 has. The translation, however, is the players know what is expected of them and they better do it or we'll find someone who will. Back in the day, Al would never pull a scholarship out from under a player. Felt he didn't want that reputation or the negative recruiting that it would result in.
The college scene has changed ($$$) and so has the pressure on coaches to win. Therefore, it is somewhat a matter of semantics, but, while Buzz has laid out the ground rules, I also know he won't hesitate to cut a player who doesn't buy into program.

Yes it is, funny how many people had such a different view a few years ago but have changed it now for some reason.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:40:41 AM »
Yes it is, funny how many people had such a different view a few years ago but have changed it now for some reason.

Yeah, I wonder why?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:51 AM »

Would you agree that one of those individuals was honest and the other was not?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:36 AM »
On Homer's show today, Buzz said "I'm not running anyone off, but you have to earn the right to be here."     This after discussing whether Otule, Fulce, or EWill produced adequately and whether or not they had bought completely into the concept of getting better every day.  I, like many other's, including an unnamed source from within MU, thinks somebody is going to prep school.    But I can't help but think from that quote that if somebody isn't doing things Buzz's way, not trying to get better every day, not going to class, not behaving in a mature fashion, that Buzz will cut him loose.    But he will do it honestly and openly.  ::)

Yes.  I think you are correct.  However, by all accounts Otule, Fulce and EWill are players that have bought into the program, are good team players and take their academics seriously.  Unless that statement is false about one of those guys listed above, they are still going to be on the team regardless of their production on game day.  IMO, none of these three are leaving.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »
What I took from his comments on Joe, Chris, abd Erik was that although none of them have produced much on the court yet they are all doing what they need to do in the classroom, in the weight room, in practice and as representatives of Marquette.
Hmmm...does this mean that Mbao wasn't included in the list of doing what they need to on the show or was he mentioned but not included in the summary above?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:02 AM »
Would you agree that one of those individuals was honest and the other was not?

Only person qualified to answer that question would have spent every minute with both individuals.

I'm going to put my money down on that person not being in existence.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
Hmmm...does this mean that Mbao wasn't included in the list of doing what they need to on the show or was he mentioned but not included in the summary above?

+1 - - He did mention Joe, Chris and Erik as being players who were still here who haven't contributed really much of anything - as examples of players who haven't been "Buzzcut" for lack of production.  Buzz had also said about 6 weeks ago, that they needed to get Mbao back from his knee injury and see where he was within the next 4-6 weeks.  I posted at that time,  that this timframe ironically coincided with the spring signing period.  I get the feeling that Buzz is less than pleased with Mbao's commitment to the program/game/rehab of his knee.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
Only person qualified to answer that question would have spent every minute with both individuals.

I'm going to put my money down on that person not being in existence.

The only way to perceive if a person is honest (or dishonest) is "to spend every minute" with them? So nobody SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME can be deemed either? What a crock.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
Yep, still think Mbao is on notice.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 10:08:08 AM »
Yep, still think Mbao is on notice.

Gotta think you're right on this.

I read that he was still nursing the hand and knee injuries. That's like 4 months later. Either the docs screwed up and he should have had surgery, or he's not rehabbing it well.

Just find it hard to believe that a knee sprain could keep a D1 athlete limited for 4 months.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
How if Fulce even mentioned in this discussion? He was a solid contributor and has done everything asked of him as far as I can tell! Otule has been injured and Buzz talked all year about how hard Williams was working.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:46 AM »
I agree , Fulce really contributed some valuable minutes late this year and I, for one, look forward to watching him play more minutes this year. Don't think he should be in the discussion

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
How if Fulce even mentioned in this discussion? He was a solid contributor and has done everything asked of him as far as I can tell! Otule has been injured and Buzz talked all year about how hard Williams was working.

Fulce has been Buzz's "guy" for years.  They almost have a father/son relationship if you will.  I'd assume it's probably just some tough love from Buzz.  I think he's criticizing him so he improves if that makes sense.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »

Fulce had his knee problem last year, and it was so bad that around the end of the 2008-09 season there was a real possibility that Joe would never play again, but Joe kept up with the program, evidently so has Otule through two frustrating years lost to injury, and evidently so has Williams although he had to be frustrated to getting so little playing time.

Remember, Buzz was giving examples of how players who weren't contributing much or anything on the court could still earn their right to be at MU, he was not giving examples of players who were in danger of losing their free ride.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
The only way to perceive if a person is honest (or dishonest) is "to spend every minute" with them? So nobody SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME can be deemed either? What a crock.

Funny, that didn't stop you from making claims of honesty and dishonesty about other folks in the past.   <snicker>

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »
does anyone have a good link to this interview?  the one on espn plays for about 20 seconds and then cuts out.

feedback