[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean - Technicals  (Read 3040 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
Crean - Technicals
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
While I'm not one to believe a coach getting technical is a benefit, I thought Crean should have gotten one last night. In the first few minutes right in front of the bench, Seton Hall clearly got away with basket interference.  The MU bench reacted to it, but it didn't do much good as a goaltending by SH went uncalled a few minutes later.
IMO, time is overdue for Crean to back up his team and not just accept the bad calls that MU has been getting.  I think it would be justified in light of the Georgetown game when nothing went our way and I think last night was the ideal time as we were playing an inferior opponent at the beginning of (hopefully) 4 game tournament. As far as I'm concerned it was a missed opportunity for Crean to send a message to the officials that he's not a pushoever.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

reinko

• All American
Re: Crean - Technicals
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »
i thought gonzalez deserved a technical for his antics on the sidelines throughout the entire game...i swear everytime you looked over there he was on the court...dude needs a valium

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:11:08 PM »
Al is probably rolling over in his grave watching TC "work" the sidelines.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
While I'm not one to believe a coach getting technical is a benefit, I thought Crean should have gotten one last night. In the first few minutes right in front of the bench, Seton Hall clearly got away with basket interference.  The MU bench reacted to it, but it didn't do much good as a goaltending by SH went uncalled a few minutes later.
IMO, time is overdue for Crean to back up his team and not just accept the bad calls that MU has been getting.  I think it would be justified in light of the Georgetown game when nothing went our way and I think last night was the ideal time as we were playing an inferior opponent at the beginning of (hopefully) 4 game tournament. As far as I'm concerned it was a missed opportunity for Crean to send a message to the officials that he's not a pushoever.

Honestly, I don't see the benefit in having Crean receive a technical. It can potentially cost MU two points, which in a close contest, can make all the difference. Also, I disagree with the school of thought that if a coach receives a technical foul, the refs will then start to make calls in your favor. I haven't seen any evidence to back up that claim.

Finally, the reason that the goaltending calls were missed is because last night's crew is old, out of shape and therefore, out of position. Crean getting a technical foul is not going to make them younger, faster and in better shape.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »
Sometimes I wonder what Crean is watching while prancing back and forth. I have a hard time believing that you can intelligently break down what is happening on the court when you're doing shuttle runs in front of the bench for two hours.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
Agreed, I think Crean is a great coach....but if you read some books about Lombardi, the players say he wasn't worth to much during the game.  His famous quote, "what the h*ll is going on out there", wasn't rhetorical.

I think the same can be said of Crean, his substitutions need to be questioned as well....Fitz should never play over 10 minutes a game unless he's hitting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

Al also thought TC is the best coach we've had in several decades....but yes, Al did work the sidelines, also cost us some games as a result and won others as a result.  Some would argue 1974 National Title game his technical was major contributor...others would not.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
Some would argue 1974 National Title game his technical was major contributor...others would not.

I think Al himself said he cost the team the game. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
Some would argue 1974 National Title game his technical was major contributor...others would not.

I think Al himself said he cost the team the game. 

I think it was Amoroso's fault.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:19:41 PM »

Al also thought TC is the best coach we've had in several decades....but yes, Al did work the sidelines, also cost us some games as a result and won others as a result.  Some would argue 1974 National Title game his technical was major contributor...others would not.

Al really thought that?  Did he say that to you?  To the press? Al passed away in 2001.  He saw TC coach a team to the NIT in 2000 and then half of the non post season 2001 season.  I have a hard time believing he call TC the BEST COACH we had in SEVERAL decades.  Better than Rick?  Hank?  Kevin?  I know Al believed the program was dying a slow death with Mike and I would guess he would have enjoyed TC's passion and enthusasm for MU but where did you ever hear him say TC was a better coach than Rick, Hank or Kevin?  Just b/c TC eclipse their MU performance after Al passed away, you think you can say that?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »
McGuire liked Crean because Crean came to visit him. It had nothing to do with his coaching. He didn't like O'Neill because O'Neill wouldn't give him the time of day.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:45:10 PM »

Al really thought that?  Did he say that to you?  To the press? Al passed away in 2001.  He saw TC coach a team to the NIT in 2000 and then half of the non post season 2001 season.  I have a hard time believing he call TC the BEST COACH we had in SEVERAL decades.  Better than Rick?  Hank?  Kevin?  I know Al believed the program was dying a slow death with Mike and I would guess he would have enjoyed TC's passion and enthusasm for MU but where did you ever hear him say TC was a better coach than Rick, Hank or Kevin?  Just b/c TC eclipse their MU performance after Al passed away, you think you can say that?

He said it to those in the office and again to the press.  Based on watching his practices, his committment, his energy, etc.  That is correct. 

Hank Raymonds also said it....in fact multiple times.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I know the argument on technicals is that you're giving away two points, but I also think there's a time when you've got to let the zebras know you're not going to put up with their incompetence. In the Gtown game, the non-goaltend by Hibbert, the phantom block on Burke...Al would have gone nuts. When we're being outshot 18-1 from the foul line in the first half at Syracuse, I don't mind if TC goes nuts. He treats these guys like they're his friends and they're not. The first time Goat Boy throws one of our guys into the first row on a rebound attempt, TC should go crazy. If he doesn't, the refs will think he doesn't mind.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:25:22 PM »

Dude, I like how you can make a comment about Al rolling over in his grave and then jump on Chico for something Al actually said on record. I guess you are the keeper of all things Al.

I would bet that Al probably wouldn't give two sh*ts about Crean's sideline behavior.

While we are invoking Al, let me say something that is probably going to be wildly unpopular. Al was a great coach and the perfect coach for the school and the era, but that was the 70s. I'm not sure Al would be that successful today.

I think it is probably time to stop shooting every coaching decision through the what would Al do prism.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
I know the argument on technicals is that you're giving away two points, but I also think there's a time when you've got to let the zebras know you're not going to put up with their incompetence. In the Gtown game, the non-goaltend by Hibbert, the phantom block on Burke...Al would have gone nuts. When we're being outshot 18-1 from the foul line in the first half at Syracuse, I don't mind if TC goes nuts. He treats these guys like they're his friends and they're not. The first time Goat Boy throws one of our guys into the first row on a rebound attempt, TC should go crazy. If he doesn't, the refs will think he doesn't mind.

I thought TC probably should have had a word with the refs after the James intentional call. I think he should try to avoid technicals though. IMO, they hurt more than they help. You can definitely push the limits though.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »
McGuire liked Crean because Crean came to visit him. It had nothing to do with his coaching. He didn't like O'Neill because O'Neill wouldn't give him the time of day.

Nothing to do with it?  What do you think they talked about in theses visits?  ... possibly coaching?  just putting it out there, you can pick it up or throw it back.  But i'd venture to guess that coaching might have come up.