[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who is Marquette's current biggest rival?

Louisville
49 (28.8%)
Notre Dame
26 (15.3%)
Pittsburgh
13 (7.6%)
Wisconsin
81 (47.6%)
Other
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: MU Rivalries  (Read 4882 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
MU Rivalries
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
nm
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: MU Rivalries
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »
If you read this board, I think Wisconsin is the biggest rival due to the attention the game gets.  All of your options are good ones, but the games I look forward to the most are with Louisville, because they always seem to be great games.  So I'm going with Louisville.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:25:39 AM »
blue hairs complaining that DePaul isn't a choice in 3...2...1...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
I can't believe UW-M isn't on there!

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »
Here's a fun hypothetical: Say the NCAA were to dissolve all conferences and start from scratch. All the schools are thrown into a hat to pick the new conferences, but MU is allowed one school to "pair up" with. With what school would you absolutely want MU to share a conference?

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
You mean, aside from Florida Gulf Coast?

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »
i would probably want a pairing with Memphis... because knowing calipari, he won't be in a conference with any other good teams.  so then it's a 50/50 chance at a conference title every year for us. 
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
i would probably want a pairing with Memphis... because knowing calipari, he won't be in a conference with any other good teams.  so then it's a 50/50 chance at a conference title every year for us. 
So, you would have wanted us to stay in CUSA rather than join the Big East?

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
Given the recent history of the series, gotta go with UofL.

Don't get me wrong. I hate UW. I hate ND. But after witnessing three consecutive UofL buzzer beaters at home, no MU victory brings me more joy than one over the Cards.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »
When I created the poll, I didn't list DePaul as that program has been down for so long that I don't think they could be considered our current biggest rival.  But if there is one team I would definitely to be in a conference in, I would definitely want DePaul and Notre Dame.  OK, so that's two teams but I can't pick b/w the two.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
When I created the poll, I didn't list DePaul as that program has been down for so long that I don't think they could be considered our current biggest rival.  But if there is one team I would definitely to be in a conference in, I would definitely want DePaul and Notre Dame.  OK, so that's two teams but I can't pick b/w the two.
I agree with you, though since I posited the hypothetical, I'll choose ... and I'll choose DePaul. They're down, but they will be back, someday. It may take another decade, but it'll happen. And it's important to keep a link between MU and the giant Chicago alumni base. ND likes to think they're part of the Chicago market, but they're not really.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »

I agree with you, but they did beat us last year

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
I agree with you, though since I posited the hypothetical, I'll choose ... and I'll choose DePaul. They're down, but they will be back, someday. It may take another decade, but it'll happen. And it's important to keep a link between MU and the giant Chicago alumni base. ND likes to think they're part of the Chicago market, but they're not really.

I'm sorry are you trying to say that there is more interest in Depaul than ND in Chicago?  Please.  You'd have a hard time finding a person who didn't go to depaul who knows where they play. even out of the people who went there half of them don't know.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »

I'm sorry are you trying to say that there is more interest in Depaul than ND in Chicago?  Please.  You'd have a hard time finding a person who didn't go to depaul who knows where they play. even out of the people who went there half of them don't know.
Unless MU starts playing football again (please don't hijack this thread, football supporters!) we're only talking about ND vs. DPU in hoops terms. Having lived most of my life in Chicagoland, I'm comfortable saying the interest in DePaul hoops is at the very least comparable to interest in ND hoops. The fact that DePaul plays in Chicago (sorta) tips the scales in that regard. But if local interest is truly the deciding factor, then there's more Illini fans in Chicago than ND hoops and DPU fans put together ...

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »
ND likes to think they're part of the Chicago market, but they're not really.

I have to disagree with you here.  Whenever am 720 previews the nights upcoming b-ball games ND is always listed.  They get as much attention as DePaul gets. 

On a side note, a guest on 720's sports show threw in a plug for MU saying how we were #3 in the contry based on some ranking (prospectus?).

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 12:47:11 AM »
UCLA- I have been waiting 35 years to play them.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 09:01:51 AM »
blue hairs complaining that DePaul isn't a choice in 3...2...1...

There is no way in the world that Pitt is a bigger rival than DePaul. You simply can not ignore the long standing rivalry and intertwined history of DePaul and Marquette. You can't have ND on that list and leave out DePaul. It is very difficult to argue, from a historical perspective, that DePaul isn't Marquette's "biggest" rival in terms of the history.
We Are Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »
There is no chance that ND basketball is as big in Chicago as DePaul basketball. It's just ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

DePaul has been down now for many years, but I agree with the poster above who stated that, while they may not be our fiercest rival right now (I voted for Louisville), they are our oldest rival and the rival that we should always be associated with and should always place twice a year. ND falls into this category for me, but I'm not sure ND feels the same way.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
To weigh in on the Chicago question, if one were to use media coverage as a barometer, the Sun-Times usually has the story on the ND hoops games in their "around the league" summaries, lumped in with other BE, BT, and top 25 teams. Granted, they're the top one usually, with the headline, but still just a short summary. DePaul, along with Loyola and UIC, get full stories, with boxscores.

So if that was a way to gauge things, I'd say Illinois is king here, followed by the locals (DePaul, UIC, Loyola, and Northwestern), then ND. Chicago State gets less coverage than the high schools.

I don't read the Cubune daily, but I haven't seen much by way of Notre Dame coverage there either.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
I can't believe UW-M isn't on there!

Don't worry, it is still listed on the MU wikipedia page, and everytime someone removes it, a UWM fan shows up 3 minutes later to replace it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
This thread got me thinking, and while this is hypothetical and would obviously never happen for so many reasons, I think this conference gathering would be kind of cool. It's based simply on geography and numbers (all 4 D-1 Wisconsin schools, all Chicago area D-1 schools sans Chicago St., and the Northeastern Indiana schools equals ten). I don't think I forgot anyone outside of Chicago st. in this group. This is just a hypothetical "say the NCAA blew up all conferences and lumped everyone near each other into a conference" scenario.

Marquette
Wisconsin
UW-M
UW-GB
DePaul
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Valpo
Notre Dame

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »
DePaul has been down now for many years, but I agree with the poster above who stated that, while they may not be our fiercest rival right now (I voted for Louisville), they are our oldest rival and the rival that we should always be associated with and should always place twice a year. ND falls into this category for me, but I'm not sure ND feels the same way.

DePaul may be the longest standing rival, but have they ever been the biggest rival?  They always seem to be overshadowed by some other team in each particular era.  Whether it is Louisville now, or Cincinatti in the 1990s, or Wisconsin or ND or whomever.  DePaul always seems to be 3rd or 4th at best on everyone's list, and for the MU fans that didn't grow up in Chicago its even further down.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
This thread got me thinking, and while this is hypothetical and would obviously never happen for so many reasons, I think this conference gathering would be kind of cool. It's based simply on geography and numbers (all 4 D-1 Wisconsin schools, all Chicago area D-1 schools sans Chicago St., and the Northeastern Indiana schools equals ten). I don't think I forgot anyone outside of Chicago st. in this group. This is just a hypothetical "say the NCAA blew up all conferences and lumped everyone near each other into a conference" scenario.

Marquette
Wisconsin
UW-M
UW-GB
DePaul
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Valpo
Notre Dame

I'd join that conference. Not too mention the $$$ saved not needing a private Midwest Airlines flight everywhere.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »

Marquette
Wisconsin
UW-M
UW-GB
DePaul
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Valpo
Notre Dame

I'd join that conference. Not too mention the $$$ saved not needing a private Midwest Airlines flight everywhere.

tell me you just finished hitting a bong? that conference sucks!
But I like to throw handfuls...

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »

Marquette
Wisconsin
UW-M
UW-GB
DePaul
Northwestern
UIC
Loyola
Valpo
Notre Dame

I guess you're expecting Wisconsin to play Northwestern in football 8 times?

feedback