Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cal Coach to retire?  (Read 3339 times)

amen426

• Starter
Cal Coach to retire?
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »
Apparently Mike Montgomery is meeting with his AD today to discuss the possibility of retirement.

If the Martin/Wojo rumors were truly an attempt to drive down Howlands asking price-- it could certainly come back to bite us now.

Personally, I don't think the Martin/Wojo rumors were a negotiation ploy. However, I would not be shocked to see Howlands name quickly surface for the Cal opening, should Montgomery retire.

So if the administration does have interest in Howland- we may have lost our leverage.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Cal Coach to retire?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
Sources out here are saying this meeting is a mere formality. Yes, Montgomery will be retiring. Yeah, yeah, I know...sources.

Howland is a California guy, but I wonder if he burned any PAC-12 bridges during his UCLA days.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
If Marquette was gonna hire Howland, it would have happened already.  That train is gone.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
If Marquette was gonna hire Howland, it would have happened already.  That train is gone.

Absolutely. I was just commenting for those who think Cal may grab Howland. I don't think they will, but it won't matter to MU, because he's not coming to Milwaukee.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

Sadly, I have to agree.  How did we go from a Final Four coach wanting to be here to a guy who was/is about to be run out of Tennessee or a Duke assistant who has never had a HC job?

And we are supposed to believe we are a major program?  If the admin won't act like we are major, why would a coach?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »
Absolutely. I was just commenting for those who think Cal may grab Howland. I don't think they will, but it won't matter to MU, because he's not coming to Milwaukee.

I tend to agree.  The only other scenario would be if MU knows they have Howland if they want him and decided to make sure they exhaust all possibilities first.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »
I tend to agree.  The only other scenario would be if MU knows they have Howland if they want him and decided to make sure they exhaust all possibilities first.

I have come to the conclusion over the years that MU simply isn't smart enough to pull that off.  Let's keep something in mind...Buzz was a lucky accident after the first three choices turned us down.  Crean was a choice that accepted and like him or not, he did a lot.  Deane was a recommendation from the prior coach that fell apart after what everyone knew was the case going in (no recruiting ability) came to fruition.  O'neil was a great hire who the admin didn't appreciate.  Dukiet was the fourth(?) choice and that was so appalling, I can't even talk about it. 

So, we have...two choices that were, at best, the third choice (Buzz and Bob).  One definitely worked.  One, not so much.  Two good choices (Tom and Kevin).  One stayed and rebuilt the program and one could have a decade earlier but the admin f'ed it up.  And one we knew what we were getting and got it (Deane).

This is not a track record of excellence, in my opinion.  It could have been a lot worse but for the luck we had with Buzz.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
It's official. Montgomery is retiring.

Does this mean that Cal is now the top available job?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
I wonder if Randy Bennett will emerge as a candidate

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »

And we are supposed to believe we are a major program?

Yes

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
It's official. Montgomery is retiring.

Does this mean that Cal is now the top available job?

No
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback