[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Radio Show  (Read 13022 times)

amgine

• Walk-On
Buzz Radio Show
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
Can anyone share highlights from the show with Homer tonight?

MU82

• All American
Re: Buzz Radio Show
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
I haven't heard Buzz's show, but a poster on another thread said Buzz himself used the word "debacle" to describe Marquette's performance in the loss.

Doesn't Buzz know that nobody is supposed to cast a negative light on anything Buzz is involved in. That's chicken little behavior!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »
Listening to the podcast now... not happy with the movement offensively. Didn't think they got the ball in the right positions to score. Here's the link- http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=71&c=766&f=2127363
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:40:08 PM by MUfan12 »

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
Will try to recap from memory, but forgive me if I don't get it all and I am sure I am unintentionally adding my own take on the points a little bit:

1st. Homer is back.  God bless him and glad to hear his voice.  Jokes were made that OSU blame falls on his shoulders since he left the show in his partner Thunder's hands.  Homer took the blame and is planning on doing play-by-play at BMOBC for tomorrow's game;

2. OSU loss very embarrassing, but you are  not going to beat anyone with 20 turnovers and your starters/leaders combining for 10 baskets.  A lot of bad shots were taken and not enough ball movement.  Couldn't get "angles" to get the ball to the post.  Unlike other years we will likely be getting paint touches by passing it into the paint this year rather than having it driven into the paint.  If games are typically 70 possessions and you cough it up 20 times, your down to 50 possessions and you are going to have to make a ton of your shots in order to stay in the game;

3. Homer started with De Wilson and Buzz said that he needs to be better, but it is not all on him.  Buzz mentioned that whoever plays point (specifically mentioning De Wilson, J. Dawson, J. Wilson), that they need to create ball movement and either drive, drive & dish or draw a foul (all he considered "finishing" which was the term Homer was focusing on).  Buzz was quick to say we can't lay this all on De Wil and that they will need to get 30 solid min. at point from whoever is playing point.  Buzz said that J. Wilson may play some point and that he is talented enough to do so, but said that J. Wilson is better starting at the 4 (both defensively and offensively) and then working his way to other positions as the game goes on;

4. Conversation moved over to Davante and Buzz seemed a bit more miffed about his play.  Noting its easier to get an unknown to play above their expected ability than a known to play above their expected ability.  Noted that Davante had "8" rebounds (I think it was really 6) and that would normally be great, but only 1 was an offensive rebound.  Buzz said Ox needs to be more a part of the game by grabbing more offensive rebounds and needs more energy on both sides of the court.

5. Deonte Burton is a man child discussion was had.  Buzz noted that going into the OSU game Deonte had more shots than any other MU player (which surprises all I think).  He will get better and may see more time, but needs to focus on good shots and not averaging a shot every minute of play as his stats indicated going into the OSU game.

6. We have a real tough schedule and are going to need guys to step up for offense, but in doing so they need to learn what is a good shot.  Buzz firmly believes Southern is going to win its conference and that we have our work cut out for ourselves on the other OOC schedule.  He mentioned that he is looking forward to getting to our regular referees in Jan./Feb. who he suspects will be more consistent by then on their call making.  I am only adding that point because I think J. Burr is the worst ref ever and can't stand how he always seems to impact whatever game he is calling.  I don't make it a point to know refs names, but I know his... which is not a good thing.  Hope the Big East comes to that same conclusion and/or that he is limited to coaching games near his NY home and not many of our games.  

If espn540 has a pod cast it is worth the listen as it will help sooth the painful memories of the OSU game.  Buzz did mention that he has received a ton of emails, texts, VMs etc. from people telling him he is a horrible coach. I hope that is not true and that its fodder he is using to motivate himself.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
Will try to recap from memory, but forgive me if I don't get it all and I am sure I am unintentionally adding my own take on the points a little bit:

1st. Homer is back.  God bless him and glad to hear his voice.  Jokes were made that OSU blame falls on his shoulders since he left the show in his partner Thunder's hands.  Homer took the blame and is planning on doing play-by-play at BMOBC for tomorrow's game;

2. OSU loss very embarrassing, but you are  not going to beat anyone with 20 turnovers and your starters/leaders combining for 10 baskets.  A lot of bad shots were taken and not enough ball movement.  Couldn't get "angles" to get the ball to the post.  Unlike other years we will likely be getting paint touches by passing it into the paint this year rather than having it driven into the paint.  If games are typically 70 possessions and you cough it up 20 times, your down to 50 possessions and you are going to have to make a ton of your shots in order to stay in the game;

3. Homer started with De Wilson and Buzz said that he needs to be better, but it is not all on him.  Buzz mentioned that whoever plays point (specifically mentioning De Wilson, J. Dawson, J. Wilson), that they need to create ball movement and either drive, drive & dish or draw a foul (all he considered "finishing" which was the term Homer was focusing on).  Buzz was quick to say we can't lay this all on De Wil and that they will need to get 30 solid min. at point from whoever is playing point.  Buzz said that J. Wilson may play some point and that he is talented enough to do so, but said that J. Wilson is better starting at the 4 (both defensively and offensively) and then working his way to other positions as the game goes on;

4. Conversation moved over to Davante and Buzz seemed a bit more miffed about his play.  Noting its easier to get an unknown to play above their expected ability than a known to play above their expected ability.  Noted that Davante had "8" rebounds (I think it was really 6) and that would normally be great, but only 1 was an offensive rebound.  Buzz said Ox needs to be more a part of the game by grabbing more offensive rebounds and needs more energy on both sides of the court.

5. Deonte Burton is a man child discussion was had.  Buzz noted that going into the OSU game Deonte had more shots than any other MU player (which surprises all I think).  He will get better and may see more time, but needs to focus on good shots and not averaging a shot every minute of play as his stats indicated going into the OSU game.

6. We have a real tough schedule and are going to need guys to step up for offense, but in doing so they need to learn what is a good shot.  Buzz firmly believes Southern is going to win its conference and that we have our work cut out for ourselves on the other OOC schedule.  He mentioned that he is looking forward to getting to our regular referees in Jan./Feb. who he suspects will be more consistent by then on their call making.  I am only adding that point because I think J. Burr is the worst ref ever and can't stand how he always seems to impact whatever game he is calling.  I don't make it a point to know refs names, but I know his... which is not a good thing.  Hope the Big East comes to that same conclusion and/or that he is limited to coaching games near his NY home and not many of our games.  

If espn540 has a pod cast it is worth the listen as it will help sooth the painful memories of the OSU game.  Buzz did mention that he has received a ton of emails, texts, VMs etc. from people telling him he is a horrible coach. I hope that is not true and that its fodder he is using to motivate himself.

Nice summary....although I'd say Buzz is definitely concerned about the Point Guard play, and rightfully so.  Think we will get to see more and more of John Dawson.  In his statement he said whoever is playing point - Derrick, John or Jamil - "if" Jamil plays any point....he add the "if" Jamil plays any point....no if statement on Dawson...sounds definitive that he'll get more PT.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
Agreed.  Got the same impression.  Sounds like we will see more platooning at PG with De Wilson, Dawson and (although not mentioned) possibly Du Wilson once healthy.  Buzz also referenced the advantage the new rules give teams with good guards and how he watched Izzo do something he hasn't seen MSU do until now related to his guards.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:32:33 PM by MARQCAT »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »
Agreed.  Got the same impression.  Sounds like we will see more platooning at PG with De Wilson, Dawson and (although not mentioned) possibly Du Wilson once healthy.  Buzz also referenced the advantage the new rules give teams with good guards and how he watched Izzo do something he hasn't seen MSU do until now related to his guards.  

What is Du Wilson's timetable to return?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »
He mentioned that he is looking forward to getting to our regular referees in Jan./Feb. who he suspects will be more consistent by then on their call making.  I am only adding that point because I think J. Burr is the worst ref ever and can't stand how he always seems to impact whatever game he is calling.  I don't make it a point to know refs names, but I know his... which is not a good thing.

I went I the game with a friend and my wife watched at home. Right after the opening tip, she sent me the two word text "Jim Burr". She's a keeper.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »
Yep--more of the same:
Buzz:"I will be riding with Derrick all year. He is the man."
Buzz: "Jamil may play some point." Another TO machine being developed.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »
Yep--more of the same:

Yeah we should probably fire him.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »
Yeah we should probably fire him.

Willie is a complete clown. "More of the same", haha, its only been three games. Imagine how insufferable he would be if we had a coach and program that was worth bitching about.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:36 AM »
Willie is a complete clown. "More of the same", haha, its only been three games. Imagine how insufferable he would be if we had a coach and program that was worth bitching about.

+1 I wonder how he would have felt about Dino

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »

1)  nice to hear Buzz is concerned on PG play

2)  who are the ass clowns that would send a email to Buzz that he is a horrible coach

3)  Jim Burr is so bad that my wife who is not even a casual basketball fan can recognize him and name him

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
Buzz brought up an interesting wrinkle to the PG situation. Said the whole team needs to "pace up" when it comes to getting into the offense. Said it's taking them too long to initiate offense, and part of that is guys not getting to their spots fast enough.

He tried deflecting some of the blame off of Derrick, but still didn't sound thrilled with his play thus far. I'll be watching them closely tonight to see if I can spot any subtle changes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
Yep--more of the same:

A direct quote, eh?  Taken from your daydream?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
Nice summary....although I'd say Buzz is definitely concerned about the Point Guard play, and rightfully so.  Think we will get to see more and more of John Dawson.  In his statement he said whoever is playing point - Derrick, John or Jamil - "if" Jamil plays any point....he add the "if" Jamil plays any point....no if statement on Dawson...sounds definitive that he'll get more PT.
I did not listen to the show, so I do not know the context he said it it. However, the fact that he said Jamil might play some point can be an indication that he does not have confidence in Dawson. We know Derrick is going to start and play significant minutes. Jamil playing point will more likely take from Dawson's time, not Derrick's.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
I did not listen to the show, so I do not know the context he said it it. However, the fact that he said Jamil might play some point can be an indication that he does not have confidence in Dawson. We know Derrick is going to start and play significant minutes. Jamil playing point will more likely take from Dawson's time, not Derrick's.

Ding! Ding! Ding! This is exactly what happened for a brief stint vs OSU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
Homer started with De Wilson and Buzz said that he needs to be better, but it is not all on him.  Buzz mentioned that whoever plays point (specifically mentioning De Wilson, J. Dawson, J. Wilson), that they need to create ball movement and either drive, drive & dish or draw a foul (all he considered "finishing" which was the term Homer was focusing on).

Thanks for the recap, and I thought this was the most relevant thing coming out of it.

Buzz knows that any team with aspirations of winning a conference championship and advancing deep into the NCAA tournament must have more than a "caretaker" PG who just tosses the ball around the perimeter. A PG on a true contender has to be a dynamic part of the offense who, as Buzz says, "either drives, drives & dishes or draws a foul."

I'm still hoping Derrick can be this PG but he has shown no evidence in his 2+ seasons of being it, so I'm not especially optimistic. And Buzz certainly doesn't seem to be singing Dawson's praises. And who knows when Duane is going to be ready and if Buzz even will deem him PG material. And we shouldn't expect much from Jamil at PG.

So this will be an interesting development all season -- and the single most important factor in deciding if we're an OK team, a good team or a great team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
Davante isn't playing hard every game, every possession, according to Buzz.    Glad to know I am not hallucinating.   I thought that he reacted poorly to getting his 2 fouls at the end of the first half.   I thought he was taken out of the game, and I thought it was self-induced as much as tOSU induced.  And Jamil hasn't played well either.    So the problem was not just DeWilson.    According to Buzz.   And STjr is almost all physically recovered, but not up to game speed.   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:07:48 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
Dear NCAA,

Please offer Jim Burr some sort of "early" retirement package.

Signed,
Anyone Who Has Seen a College Basketball Game
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
Yep--more of the same:

Willie's mom always said, "if you can't say something douchy, don't say anything at all."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
More of the same is accurate. Buzz has slurped DWilson for three years. And has also previously talked about JWilson playing the point...CLOWN.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »
So is Val Ackerman/Fox going to set something up so all the Big East Coaches have their own weekly TV show?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
Hope Buzz was kidding about Burton.  He's been one of the few bright spots this season.  Love his energy and aggressive offensive moves to the basket.  Wish Jamil and Juan would play more like Burton.  Certainly hope Burton plays more minutes.  He's a 6'5" bull!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
More of the same is accurate. Buzz has slurped DWilson for three years. And has also previously talked about JWilson playing the point...CLOWN.

In all seriousness, willie, I'm trying to figure out why you bother being a fan. You seem to get no enjoyment out of it.

If you look at posts from most others (including me), sure, we sometimes question strategy, we want to successfully recruit better big men and we occasionally experience the angst and frustration that goes with fandom.

But to constantly rip and wail and tear down -- especially given this extremely successful recent run that Buzz has given us -- I don't know how that can be fun for a person.

And being a fan of a sports team is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
In all seriousness, willie, I'm trying to figure out why you bother being a fan. You seem to get no enjoyment out of it.

If you look at posts from most others (including me), sure, we sometimes question strategy, we want to successfully recruit better big men and we occasionally experience the angst and frustration that goes with fandom.

But to constantly rip and wail and tear down -- especially given this extremely successful recent run that Buzz has given us -- I don't know how that can be fun for a person.

You'll have to forgive willie.  He still thinks its the 70s.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
Hope Buzz was kidding about Burton.  He's been one of the few bright spots this season.  Love his energy and aggressive offensive moves to the basket.  Wish Jamil and Juan would play more like Burton.  Certainly hope Burton plays more minutes.  He's a 6'5" bull!

I agree with Buzz in that Burton hasn't seen a shot he doesn't like.  When every possession is valuable against really good teams, you don't want turnovers or bad shots.  Once Burton understands the difference between a good shot and a bad shot, his time on the floor will increase.  I fully expect Burton to be a very solid contributor as the year progresses.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »

He's not a fan. He's (likely) a bored, lonely guy who enjoys getting a rise out of people on message boards.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »

See above for why Willie does it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
He's not a fan. He's (likely) a bored, lonely guy who enjoys getting a rise out of people on message boards.

Sorry Mustache, but  am having fun, and definitely not bored. I love MU basketball and want the best for them. And I do not constantly tear them down, like a few suggest. Those are the same people that think that any criticism means the criticizer is irrational, or a racist, or from Mars or whatever. And those same people continue to look at all their pets through rose colored slurp glasses. Thou shalt think like them.

But just to prove that I do not enjoy getting a "rise out of people", I will from hereon slurp with the other rose colored glass wearers, starting right now:

In Buzz I trust.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 01:34:54 PM »
Sorry Mustache, but  am having fun, and definitely not bored. I love MU basketball and want the best for them. And I do not constantly tear them down, like a few suggest. Those are the same people that think that any criticism means the criticizer is irrational, or a racist, or from Mars or whatever. And those same people continue to look at all their pets through rose colored slurp glasses. Thou shalt think like them.

But just to prove that I do not enjoy getting a "rise out of people", I will from hereon slurp with the other rose colored glass wearers, starting right now:

In Buzz I trust.

Condescension is even worse than negativity for negativity's sake.

Don't do us any favors.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »
I know what you mean. Nothin' worse than tryin' to drive in bad weather with condescension on your windshield, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
Ding! Ding! Ding! This is exactly what happened for a brief stint vs OSU.

Care to make a wager on who plays more minutes at the point this year?  Dawson or Jamil??  You could be right, I could be wrong - but I feel pretty confident Dawson is going to get some good PT as the season moves along..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »
Care to make a wager on who plays more minutes at the point this year?  Dawson or Jamil??  You could be right, I could be wrong - but I feel pretty confident Dawson is going to get some good PT as the season moves along..

The point wasn't that Jamil is going to play more minutes than Dawson at the point (though it's likely). I was agreeing with the notion that Jamil's minutes at the point will take away from Dawson's time, not from DWil's.

Not sure how we'd measure that stat anyway.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
I know what you mean. Nothin' worse than tryin' to drive in bad weather with condescension on your windshield, hey?

You need a better blower

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
The point wasn't that Jamil is going to play more minutes than Dawson at the point (though it's likely). I was agreeing with the notion that Jamil's minutes at the point will take away from Dawson's time, not from DWil's.

Not sure how we'd measure that stat anyway.

Good point - it would be hard to measure I guess.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I don't think Buzz's preferred lineup has Jamil at the point...but it has been whispered before.  Ultimately will depend on how well Dawson does in practice to where Buzz feels he's big game ready.  From listening to the podcast, it definitely seems clear that Buzz wants to get a lot more out of the PG situation than what was shown against OSU - and with good reason.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »

How many minutes a game do you think Dawson is going to average this year?

How many DNPs will he have?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
What if Duane Wilson becomes healthy?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
It would be nice to read sn update on Duane Wilson.  Who is responsible st MU for announcing the injury report?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
It would be nice to read sn update on Duane Wilson.  Who is responsible st MU for announcing the injury report?

I've heard Du Wilson will be back practicing Mid-December...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
How many minutes a game do you think Dawson is going to average this year?

How many DNPs will he have?

Hard to say, after only seeing 26 minutes of him in 3 games....but my guess will be 10-15 minutes per game...as for DNP's - some of that will depend on how good Duane Wilson comes back, and if he's ready...yet I have a strange feeling Dawson might very well have been showing as much as Duane Wilson in the early part of camp..

I'll give Dawson 5 DNP for the year.  What are your estimates?  You've already made it clear you think Derrick Wilson is the answer at Point Guard and will get a lions share of the minutes..

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »
Hard to say, after only seeing 26 minutes of him in 3 games....but my guess will be 10-15 minutes per game...as for DNP's - some of that will depend on how good Duane Wilson comes back, and if he's ready...yet I have a strange feeling Dawson might very well have been showing as much as Duane Wilson in the early part of camp..

I'll give Dawson 5 DNP for the year.  What are your estimates?  You've already made it clear you think Derrick Wilson is the answer at Point Guard and will get a lions share of the minutes..

I don't think Dawson will see more than 10min in any meaningful game. I think his numbers will look similar to Jake last year. He's going to have more than 5 DNPs.

I also don't think he'll ever play more minutes than Derrick this season.

And just to be clear, I don't think Derrick is "the answer" at PG, but he's the best PG on this roster right now... and he's not the biggest problem on offense.

As far as Dawson, I think he could be a really good college player... but he's not there yet. If he was, Buzz would play him.

Dawson's not the best PG since Diener. He doesn't throw passes like Magic Johnson. He didn't play 15min. against OSU. And I think his performance against Grambling was an aberration, not an indication of what he can do against top teams.

THIS GUY IS REALLY HIGH ON DAWSON.

I agree that Saturday is not the time to elevate Dawson - hell he may not start all year - but I suspect he'll be playing more minutes than D-Will as the year goes on.  WAY more upside.

Okay self proclaimed "sophisticated" basketball mind - come back and talk sh$t when Dawson takes over the role sooner than later - or even if he doesn't start - watch the minute usage between the two guards...Dawson will begin to get more...and you'll see him on the floor during crunch time...which is saying a lot for a freshman.  Only way he doesn't is if Buzz feels a deep loyalty to the veteran.

Starting a freshman in an environment like what Saturday will be - isn't necessary when you have the vet Derrick who is serviceable....should be telling to see if Buzz gives Dawson minutes against OSU to get a true pulse on how high he is on Dawson...you see even 15 minutes out of Dawson on Saturday - Buzz likes him a lot.

We can asterisk it all we want, but the reality is both Dawson and Derrick are playing against the same crappy team...and Dawson has looked immensely better than anything I've seen from Derrick in his 2 years here - and I hate to pile on our kids as I they all work their ass off and are just kids.

Now yes, it is Grambling - but I'll tell you what - Dawson has the look of a better point guard than we've had here since Diener.  Yes...a huge statement...but he's making passes that are Magic Johnson good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »
And just to be clear, I don't think Derrick is "the answer" at PG, but he's the best PG on this roster right now... and he's not the biggest problem on offense.

If guys were making open shots, no one would be complaining about DeWil's play.

And thanks for posting those quotes...hilarious. The best is "I hate to pile on our kids as I they all work their ass off and are just kids" from a guy who spent 3 years piling on Vander Blue and continues to do so today. Once Ners dislikes a guy, they are forever on the hate pile. On the plus side, once he likes someone, they can do no wrong.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »

Except trying to play a basketball game with condescension on the court.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
If guys were making open shots, no one would be complaining about DeWil's play.

But guys weren't making open shots, which is when a good team needs a good PG to just take over. Junior wasn't a great PG but he was a pretty good one, and he had a decent sense of when he had to make something happen on offense.

"If guys were making open shots" kind of speaks to those who contended that our team would be so good everywhere but the PG spot that all we would need is a guy who would take care of the ball and make safe passes. But we obviously need more than that. Last year's team was not a very good shooting team, and this year's certainly appears to be worse.

Again, it isn't Derrick Wilson's fault that he is only as good as Derrick Wilson. Buzz, the cheerleader of the DWill Fan Club, recognized that last game and gave Derrick a heaping helping of bench time down the stretch.

Buzz's actions speaks louder and clearer than anything we can say here on Scoop.