[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill  (Read 17088 times)

amgine

• Walk-On
DJ Newbill
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Saw DJ Newbill's name come across the bottom line on ESPN and was surprised to see the numbers he is putting up.  Glad to see he is doing so well. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/53149/dj-newbill

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »
He's had a better college career than Vander has...or Jamil Wilson for that matter....too bad he never made it to MU...cause he's a player.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »
He's not shooting at a very good %, but it's still good to see him playing some high major ball and getting a lot of playing time regardless.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
He's obviously a solid player that would have contributed at MU, but individual stats on bad teams can be deceiving. See, for example, Trent Lockett.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Different players: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&p1=vander-blue

Newbill's shooting percentages aren't as good.
Turns the ball over enough to rank 80th. 
If you look at everything from the link above, I'd take Blue.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
Of course you'd take Blue.  Anyone with an IQ higher than a snail takes Blue.  DJ Newbill has played one full year for Southern Mississippi, and about a dozen games for a B10 bottom feeder that has played one team of significance so far this year.  (NC State...where he went 6/12 with five turnovers.)

I'm glad he's landed on his feet, but "a better college career than Vander?"  A three year contributor for a team that has gone to back to back Sweet 16s?

Cmon...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:07:14 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »
Glad to see his life wasn't ruined after all.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
Of course you'd take Blue.  Anyone with an IQ higher than a snail takes Blue.  DJ Newbill has played one full year for Southern Mississippi, and about a dozen games for a B10 bottom feeder that has played one team of significance so far this year.  (NC State...where he went 6/12 with five turnovers.)

I'm glad he's landed on his feet, but "a better college career than Vander?"  A three year contributor for a team that has gone to back to back Sweet 16s?

Cmon...

He is also the only scoring option for a bottom feeder who's only other scorer is on a medical redshirt with a shredded ACL.  This is another case of statistics confirming the color of the sky is green.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »
Was this guy supposed to come to MU? I forgot the story on him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
Was this guy supposed to come to MU? I forgot the story on him.

He committed to Marquette in 2010 with the Vander/Gardner class. Around August, Jamil Wilson announced his intention to transfer from Oregon. Shortly thereafter, it was learned that Newbill was not admitted to Marquette because he had never submitted his application. The Newbill camp, led by one of his coaches posting profusely on this forum, ripped Buzz and our staff saying they were running Newbill off. Wilson got the scholarship that would have went to Newbill, Reggie Smith announced he was transferring a couple months later (would have opened up that spot for DJ) but by then Newbill was already playing at Southern Miss. After one year at Southern Miss he transferred closer to home to Penn State, sat out a year, and now is one of their leading players.

In terms of recruiting rankings, he was the lowest rated player in that class and seemed to be another wing guard/forward, which we had many of. Suffice to say, he was expendable. Not sure exactly how it went down, but that's what I remember.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Glad to see his life wasn't ruined after all.

LOL. Good one, Pakuni.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »

Cmon...

I would have thought snails were pretty low on the list with regard to IQ, but apparently not..because if you feel Blue has been a better college player thus far than Newbill - you sir aren't very bright.

Care to look at rebounding numbers?  Assists?  And 3 year contributor??  Vander's played 2 full seasons.  You consider Vander's freshman year contributing?  If you want to play the competition card - I'll be glad to break out Vander's Big East stats from his first 2 years...pretty sure that would paint an ugly picture.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:50 PM »
***Sigh***

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
I would have thought snails were pretty low on the list with regard to IQ, but apparently not..because if you feel Blue has been a better college player thus far than Newbill - you sir aren't very bright.

Care to look at rebounding numbers?  Assists?  And 3 year contributor??  Vander's played 2 full seasons.  You consider Vander's freshman year contributing?  If you want to play the competition card - I'll be glad to break out Vander's Big East stats from his first 2 years...pretty sure that would paint an ugly picture.

Yes because we ALL KNOW that the Big East is similar to Conference USA when it comes to competition.

This isn't even a debate worth having because it is dumb.  You are looking at the stats of a guy who played one year for a mediocre mid-major team, and a handful of mostly bad non-conference games for a poor Big Ten team that is lacking quality scorers.  You are comparing them to a guy who is playing in his third year at the highest level of college basketball...two years as a starter.

The best part about this is that I would bet you anything that you have never seen Newbill play.  You wouldn't recognize the guy if he walked into your living room.  You are just reading the stats and saying "Hey, he must be better because he scores more!!!"  (Or more accurately, "I need to say something bad about Vander to save some face because I have been proven completely wrong about the guy...I know...I'll compare him to DJ Newbill.")

DJ F*cking Newbill.  The legend that never dies on Scoop.

Inanity.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:47:36 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
Sultan, why do you bother?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »

Damn good question.  Not going to bother with this thread unless someone else makes a decent argument.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

Yes because we ALL KNOW that the Big East is similar to Conference USA when it comes to competition.

This isn't even a debate worth having because it is dumb.  You are looking at the stats of a guy who played one year for a mediocre mid-major team, and a handful of mostly bad non-conference games for a poor Big Ten team that is lacking quality scorers.  You are comparing them to a guy who is playing in his third year at the highest level of college basketball...two years as a starter.

The best part about this is that I would bet you anything that you have never seen Newbill play.  You wouldn't recognize the guy if he walked into your living room.  You are just reading the stats and saying "Hey, he must be better because he scores more!!!"  (Or more accurately, "I need to say something bad about Vander to save some face because I have been proven completely wrong about the guy...I know...I'll compare him to DJ Newbill.")

DJ F*cking Newbill.  The legend that never dies on Scoop.

Inanity.
Agh....Southern Miss was 22-10 in C-USA DJ's freshmen year....and I watched a number of their games..would recognize him immediately...nice try though.  He's a big, physical guard, who would bother the hell out of Vander....which by all accounts he did at MU's Elite Camp prior to MU signing him...

How do you reconcile (or make excuses as you always do for Vander) for his lack of rebounding, assists and blocks this year?  He's improved 1000 fold offensively (thank God), but has fallen off significantly in the areas that were his only redeeming areas his first 2 season - defense and rebounding.  Furthermore, Vander isn't a lock down defender by any means...he's good for getting beat off the dribble a few times a game as it is..

Here's Newbill and Vander's freshman years...but go ahead...chalk it up to competition level...Vander had the benefit of playing with 3 NBA players on the team his freshman year and was a complete afterthought for teams and still was awful...DJ Newbill was a focal point for teams to stop..as a freshman, and of course this year, as he has no supporting cast at PSU.  But go ahead, ignore the stats...as you always do...instead relying on your "basketball IQ."

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&devonte-newbill=2010-2011&p1=vander-blue

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
I'll simply suggest that if Vander Blue were to announce he intends to transfer, programs far better than Penn State would be seeking his services.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »

I agree - he makes idiotic point after idiotic point.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
I'll simply suggest that if Vander Blue would to announce he intends to transfer, programs far better than Penn State would be seeking his services.

And..considering he couldn't transfer to a Big East school due to the Marquette issue...and wanted to play in a high major league...closer to home...that might explain why he's at Penn State...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
Ners, I will back off on you not knowing what Newbill looks like.

The rest isn't worth my time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Ners, I will back off on you not knowing what Newbill looks like.

The rest isn't worth my time.

Fair enough...yet I'd have to say to make the statement like its hands down/no contest...Vander is a clear cut better player up to this point in their respective careers is a huge stretch.

I suspect Newbill will post better numbers than Blue this year, and next as well...and the Big 10 and Big East are at least comparable in quality this year....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
And..considering he couldn't transfer to a Big East school due to the Marquette issue...and wanted to play in a high major league...closer to home...that might explain why he's at Penn State...

The A-10 has some nice programs in his area ... oh,wait you said high major league.  Nevermind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
Fair enough...yet I'd have to say to make the statement like its hands down/no contest...Vander is a clear cut better player up to this point in their respective careers is a huge stretch.

I suspect Newbill will post better numbers than Blue this year, and next as well...and the Big 10 and Big East are at least comparable in quality this year....

Having "a better college career" and/or putting up better numbers is not the same thing as being a better basketball player. DJ Newbill is a nice player who's having a nice career so far and putting up some solid numbers, numbers that may even be better than Blue's but so what? Germantown's own Ben Averkamp has put up better numbers than Blue and having an outstanding career for Loyola. Does that mean MU really missed the boat on him and he'd be putting up 16ppg for MU this season? How about Keifer Sykes at GB? He has better numbers than Blue. Does that make him a better player? Sammy Mejia and Wesley Matthews had very similar college numbers. Does that mean they're equal players?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
He committed to Marquette in 2010 with the Vander/Gardner class. Around August, Jamil Wilson announced his intention to transfer from Oregon. Shortly thereafter, it was learned that Newbill was not admitted to Marquette because he had never submitted his application. The Newbill camp, led by one of his coaches posting profusely on this forum, ripped Buzz and our staff saying they were running Newbill off. Wilson got the scholarship that would have went to Newbill, Reggie Smith announced he was transferring a couple months later (would have opened up that spot for DJ) but by then Newbill was already playing at Southern Miss. After one year at Southern Miss he transferred closer to home to Penn State, sat out a year, and now is one of their leading players.

In terms of recruiting rankings, he was the lowest rated player in that class and seemed to be another wing guard/forward, which we had many of. Suffice to say, he was expendable. Not sure exactly how it went down, but that's what I remember.

Around August?  Just how cruel do you think Buzz is?  More like June.  He gave Newbill a couple of months to try and get a new gig.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 11:41:03 PM »
Having "a better college career" and/or putting up better numbers is not the same thing as being a better basketball player. DJ Newbill is a nice player who's having a nice career so far and putting up some solid numbers, numbers that may even be better than Blue's but so what? Germantown's own Ben Averkamp has put up better numbers than Blue and having an outstanding career for Loyola. Does that mean MU really missed the boat on him and he'd be putting up 16ppg for MU this season? How about Keifer Sykes at GB? He has better numbers than Blue. Does that make him a better player? Sammy Mejia and Wesley Matthews had very similar college numbers. Does that mean they're equal players?

Why are you bringing logic into this discussion.  Message boards are for rampant speculation and wild personal beliefs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:33 AM »
Around August?  Just how cruel do you think Buzz is?  More like June.  He gave Newbill a couple of months to try and get a new gig.

They're both summer months :D

And can I echo the "Sultan, why do you bother?" comment? There is no point arguing with someone who doesn't even understand the premise. Ignore is truly your best friend. This site becomes much more enjoyable when you click that button. And imagine if everyone did it...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:51 AM »
You made that comment before regarding a certain poster.  I was considering that when I commented on this poster's response to Sultan.  This dude (not Sultan), kept going on, and on, and on..... In a couple of threads.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
Is this debate for real? 

DJ Newbill is fine, Blue is far superior.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
Is this debate for real? 

DJ Newbill is fine, Blue is far superior.

Only "real" because several took Ner's bait and ran with it.  Other than that, no debate to see here.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »
Only "real" because several took Ner's bait and ran with it.  Other than that, no debate to see here.

Moral of the story: Don't feed the trolls... even if they don't know they are trolling.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 08:53:20 AM »
You made that comment before regarding a certain poster.  I was considering that when I commented on this poster's response to Sultan.  This dude (not Sultan), kept going on, and on, and on..... In a couple of threads.

Well there is no going on and on and on....if other posters...such as Sultan and Brew don't continue going on and on and on with their posts...and these are simply opinions being debated..point/counterpoint..so not sure what's to get offended about?

May want to check history a little and see how BrewCity discredited Gardner while championing Blue over and over and over in a debate with me and couldn't let it go....Brew also championed Otule's value over Gardner for quite awhile...the reality is, at the end of the day...Brew and Sultan are Blue's biggest backers....which is fine...but they refuse to acknowledge the reality of his MU performance..or performance benchmarked against other players....Blue was awful as a freshman....serviceable (at best) as a sophomore.....and is now playing at a caliber worthy of being a starter.  His scoring is up, yet the things he did well his first 2 years when he couldn't put the ball in the basket are way down - rebounding, assists, blocks.  Is he really this amazingly complete player?

Seems funny many want to point to how good Vander is this year, when the only thing that has improved is his scoring, yet they also want to discredit scoring as a stat, and say there are so many other things involved in evaluating a players value...see Lockett thread.  At the end of the day, your best players are your highest scorers.  Period.  You can have a glue guy of course and those are necessary on a team, but lets not act as if the glue guy makes/breaks a season.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »

And can I echo the "Sultan, why do you bother?" comment? There is no point arguing with someone who doesn't even understand the premise. Ignore is truly your best friend. This site becomes much more enjoyable when you click that button. And imagine if everyone did it...

The feeling is mutual Brew...btw...that avatar is a little weird for a grown man....

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »

I'm imagining this site wouldn't exist.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
Comparing Newbill to Blue is utterly stupid and is the height of trolling.

It was never a choice of Blue or Newbill.  Blue was the centerpiece of that recruiting class.

The only possible comparison is Newbill vs. Wilson, because Newbill not enrolling cleared that roster spot for Wilson.

Wilson was indispensible last year.  We don't finish 2nd in the BE and get to the Sweet 16 without him.

If we are going to use the hindsight machine....then Jamail Jones should have been encouraged to find another school so Newbill could have stayed on the team.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
Well there is no going on and on and on....if other posters...such as Sultan and Brew don't continue going on and on and on with their posts...and these are simply opinions being debated..point/counterpoint..so not sure what's to get offended about?

May want to check history a little and see how BrewCity discredited Gardner while championing Blue over and over and over in a debate with me and couldn't let it go....Brew also championed Otule's value over Gardner for quite awhile...the reality is, at the end of the day...Brew and Sultan are Blue's biggest backers....which is fine...but they refuse to acknowledge the reality of his MU performance..or performance benchmarked against other players....Blue was awful as a freshman....serviceable (at best) as a sophomore.....and is now playing at a caliber worthy of being a starter.  His scoring is up, yet the things he did well his first 2 years when he couldn't put the ball in the basket are way down - rebounding, assists, blocks.  Is he really this amazingly complete player?

Seems funny many want to point to how good Vander is this year, when the only thing that has improved is his scoring, yet they also want to discredit scoring as a stat, and say there are so many other things involved in evaluating a players value...see Lockett thread.  At the end of the day, your best players are your highest scorers.  Period.  You can have a glue guy of course and those are necessary on a team, but lets not act as if the glue guy makes/breaks a season.

A guy who’s finding his scoring touch isn't going to dish the ball as much as he used to.  There's a limited number of possessions in a game... his shooting percentage has gone up, resulting in a lower assist percentage. His overall offensive efficiency has gone up season to season, which would indicate that he is truly a more well-rounded offensive player.  

In terms of rebounding, that can be explained by the fact that 1) this is the best shooting % team he's been a part of here, and 2) there’s been more big men on the floor at any given point in time this season than the past two years.  Last year blue was called on to rebound more, and he did.  This year there isn’t that need anymore. There’s no need for your guards to crash the boards if you have bigger guys able to do that dirty work for you.  The guards would be better off getting back on D.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »
I'll simply suggest that if Vander Blue were to announce he intends to transfer, programs far better than Penn State would be seeking his services.
In August there are not a lot of programs that have available scholarships. He was also an under the radar player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »
In August there are not a lot of programs that have available scholarships. He was also an under the radar player.

While Newbill announced he was transferring FROM USM in August, and TO Penn State less than a week later,  I think it is safe to say that the idea of transferring was in the works earlier than that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
A guy who’s finding his scoring touch isn't going to dish the ball as much as he used to.  There's a limited number of possessions in a game... his shooting percentage has gone up, resulting in a lower assist percentage. His overall offensive efficiency has gone up season to season, which would indicate that he is truly a more well-rounded offensive player.  

In terms of rebounding, that can be explained by the fact that 1) this is the best shooting % team he's been a part of here, and 2) there’s been more big men on the floor at any given point in time this season than the past two years.  Last year blue was called on to rebound more, and he did.  This year there isn’t that need anymore. There’s no need for your guards to crash the boards if you have bigger guys able to do that dirty work for you.  The guards would be better off getting back on D.

Thank you for at least making an argument with some thought/rationale put into it....but when I see a player like Newbill scoring more points, out rebounding Vander at a 3 to 1 rate, out assisting Vander at a 2 to 1 rate...just makes me think the guy is at least as good as Vander..if not better.  To the bolded above....it would be tragic if Blue's offensive efficiency did not improve year over year...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »
Thank you for at least making an argument with some thought/rationale put into it....but when I see a player like Newbill scoring more points, out rebounding Vander at a 3 to 1 rate, out assisting Vander at a 2 to 1 rate...just makes me think the guy is at least as good as Vander..if not better.  To the bolded above....it would be tragic if Blue's offensive efficiency did not improve year over year...

Again, Newbill is the LONE SCORER on a bad basketball team that played one of the softest NC schedules this year.  Compare Newbill's supporting cast to Vander's supporting cast and you will see Vander doesn't have to/ isn't expected to rebound, score, or assist as much as Newbill has to.  Newbill doesn't have a Gardner, Wilson, Anderson, or Otule to clean up the boards and he certainly doesn't have JC or Wilson to provide the assists.

This is why offensive efficiency is such a better comparison statistically because it normalizes the team side of basketball for the most part.

The fact that you are debating Newbill is better than Vander tells me you aren't really interested in the debate, you just dislike Vander.  That's your call, but why not just say that and then move on a save everyone the inane debt?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »

Blue is scoring more points per 40 minutes with a higher efficieny than Newbill, but don't let facts get in the way.

Do you think Lockett is a better player than Blue? His stats for a bottom-feeder team last year are comparable to Vander and DJ's stats this year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »

Jake Thomas put up better numbers than Vander during his freshman and soph seasons. By your logic, one could argue that he's a better player than Vander.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »
I blame Buzz.

Obviously guys with less talent (than Blue) have gone to other schools and have become better players.

Buzz needs to be held accountable!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
This is an interesting argument/discussion.

On one hand, I agree that on bad teams somebody has to get the points, rebounds, etc. (see Trent Lockett)

OTOH, I would be interested in how Vander and Newbill stack up according to offensive efficiency, which should mitigate some of the bad team/good numbers advantage Newbill has.

So, what say the sabermatricians?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
This could be a top 5 in the most ridiculous threads ever. Which means it will probably go 20 pages.

Newbill and his Philly coach are gone, why does Ners care other than to take another shot at Blue. It was not a case of Vb or Newbill anyway, it would have been Newbill or Wilson.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
I blame Buzz.

Obviously guys with less talent (than Blue) have gone to other schools and have become better players.

Buzz needs to be held accountable!

I also blame LW, cause he's a domer.  And FP.  And Cottingham.  And Scott Walker.  And the fiscal cliff.  And the Mayan calendar.  And...

Guns, I am with you.

Didn't anyone read Rocky's sage advice on some of the wisdom being put forward on this thread?  I, for one, am going to follow Brew's advice too.  Click.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
I'm imagining this site wouldn't exist.
+1000

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
WHAT!?!?  How can this be true?  I've watched us clank shot after shot after shot.  Is it because we are relying less on 3-point shooting overall and more on our interior game?  The impression I get (and has been discussed ad nauseum here) is that we can't shoot for you-know-what.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
This is an interesting argument/discussion.

On one hand, I agree that on bad teams somebody has to get the points, rebounds, etc. (see Trent Lockett)

OTOH, I would be interested in how Vander and Newbill stack up according to offensive efficiency, which should mitigate some of the bad team/good numbers advantage Newbill has.

So, what say the sabermatricians?

According to bama's Value Add, Blue is the #1224 player in the country this year, Newbill is #3050.

According to offensive efficiency, Blue is currently at 100.4 and Newbill is at 97.1

Blue's ORtg trend: 89.1, 95.6, 100.4
Newbill: 113.0, 97.1

Complete tangent but something I thought interesting nonetheless when compared to Blue is McNeal's ORtg trend: 87.7, 93.7, 104.4, 108.6

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »
For the record...I don't dislike Vander....but I'm not seeing his production/performance as a freshman and sophomore through Gold colored glasses.  He's improved TREMENDOUSLY over his freshman and sophomore years.  Quite frankly, I'm startled and thrilled by the level of his improvement.  He's turned himself into a quality, Big East, guard - and I had serious doubts about his ability to do so after watching his first 2 years.  So kudos to Vander for putting in the work and becoming a good player.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
WHAT!?!?  How can this be true?  I've watched us clank shot after shot after shot.  Is it because we are relying less on 3-point shooting overall and more on our interior game?  The impression I get (and has been discussed ad nauseum here) is that we can't shoot for you-know-what.

Yep, because our 3 pt shooting is down we seem like we're not shooting well.  Our points per posession is equal to last year's, but more of those points are coming from 2's as opposed to 3's.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
According to bama's Value Add, Blue is the #1224 player in the country this year, Newbill is #3050.

According to offensive efficiency, Blue is currently at 100.4 and Newbill is at 97.1

Blue's ORtg trend: 89.1, 95.6, 100.4
Newbill: 113.0, 97.1

Complete tangent but something I thought interesting nonetheless when compared to Blue is McNeal's ORtg trend: 87.7, 93.7, 104.4, 108.6

Thanks, Juanaman. To summarize, Bama's value added puts Blue well above Newbill (though neither are in the top 1000) and Blue's current ORtg is slightly higher. In Newbill's defense, his overall ORtg is much higher but was accomplished against lesser competition.

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »
Newbill impressive tonight against Badgers.  Announcers remarked that MU may want a re-do on Newbill.  The legend grows...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
Newbill impressive tonight against Badgers.  Announcers remarked that MU may want a re-do on Newbill.  The legend grows...

12 points, 8 rebounds and 4 turnovers with a minute to go. 

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 01:49:21 AM »

I was impressed by him also. He's got some skills and is really athletic, he threw down two really nice dunks with a Wisconsin big right in his face. Granted, it was my first time seeing Newbill play, but he sure looked good enough to me that he'd at the very least be in the playing rotation on this current Marquette squad. Maybe as say a nice combo guard off the bench, taking away Derrick Wilson's minutes and also some two guard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 02:15:48 AM »
And the Badgers took 26 free throws to Penn State's 1...yep..no mistake...Wisconsinn 26 FT attempts, Penn State 1..at the Kohl.   Wow.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:11 AM »
Here's Newbill and Vander's freshman years...but go ahead...chalk it up to competition level...Vander had the benefit of playing with 3 NBA players on the team his freshman year and was a complete afterthought for teams and still was awful...DJ Newbill was a focal point for teams to stop..as a freshman, and of course this year, as he has no supporting cast at PSU.  But go ahead, ignore the stats...as you always do...instead relying on your "basketball IQ."

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&devonte-newbill=2010-2011&p1=vander-blue

Ok the stats don't lie.  Here is Vander's freshman year versus Trent Lockett at ASU.  In every single category Lockett had better numbers than Blue.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=trent-lockett&p1=vander-blue&trent-lockett=2009-2010&vander-blue=2010-2011

And Lockett open up an even bigger gap over Blue when both of their sophomore years are compared

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=trent-lockett&p1=vander-blue&trent-lockett=2010-2011&vander-blue=2011-2012

So if you're right, and the numbers don't lie while competition does not matter, then Lockett would should be running rings around Blue.

How's that working out?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:55:25 AM by AnotherMU84 »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »

So if you're right, and the numbers don't lie while competition does not matter, then Lockett would should be running rings around Blue.

How's that working out?

Vander is a bit of an outlier, as his offensive game this season is totally different than the last two years.  If he so much as touched the ball in an offensive possession by the middle of his freshman year, we were pretty much guaranteed not to score (that is only slightly an exaggeration, as it seemed that way to me so I tracked it for a half of a game and it was only 60% less likely or something.  I only did it for a half because it is not a fun thing to do when watching a game).  Last year he added the ability to pass effectively a little bit (rather than just get rid of the ball before he turned it over) and cut down his turnovers per time he touched the ball, and this year he has added the ability to score with some efficiency, which is a huge leap forward.  I don't doubt that Trent Lockett the freshman and sophomore was a better offensive player than freshman and sophomore Blue. 

As for the main topic, I'm happy that Newbill has found a place where he fits in and is productive.  I always thought it was a little squirrelly that he didn't enroll at MU, but unfortunately that is the way of college basketball.  I seriously doubt he is really as good as Blue right now, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »
In 1983-84, BYU's Devin Durrant averaged 27.9 points. Michael Jordan "only" averaged 19.6 for North Carolina.

Ipso fatso, Durrant was better.

(Plus, word is, Jordan refused to slap five with Cecil Exum!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
And the Badgers took 26 free throws to Penn State's 1...yep..no mistake...Wisconsinn 26 FT attempts, Penn State 1..at the Kohl.   Wow.

I watched the game specifically to see Newbill.  And the free throw disparity had nothing to do with referee bias...it had to do with Penn State taking a bunch of jump shots and UW pounding it inside.

BTW, I thought Newbill looked like a pretty decent player.  Would like to see what his game is like when he's got better talent around him.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »

I watched the game specifically to see Newbillto hopefully cure my insomnia.  And the free throw disparity had nothing to do with referee bias...it had to do with Penn State taking a bunch of jump shots and UW pounding it inside.

BTW, I thought Newbill looked like a pretty decent player.  Would like to see what his game is like when he's got better talent around him.
Fixed it For You

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »
Truth be told, everytime I started to doze off, I turned to the Fiesta Bowl.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »
Truth be told, everytime I started to doze off, I turned to the Fiesta Bowl.

You watched a meaningless bowl game?   ;D

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
Watched the last 4 minutes of the game...Newbill was nothing special at all.  As fore the dunks....well, Todd Townsend had a couple monster dunks in his career as well....

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
Let's face it, Bo ball is boring to watch.  That's his style.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »
VERSUS BUCKY THIS SEASON:

Player ... Pts ... FG ... Reb ... Ast ... Stl ... TO

Newbill ... 12 ... 6-15 ... 8 ..... 4....... 1 ..... 5

Blue ....... 17 ... 7-14 ... 5 ..... 2 ...... 4 ..... 0

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
VERSUS BUCKY THIS SEASON:

Player ... Pts ... FG ... Reb ... Ast ... Stl ... TO... Outcome
Newbill ... 12 ... 6-15 ... 8 ..... 4....... 1 ..... 5..... L
Blue ....... 17 ... 7-14 ... 5 ..... 2 ...... 4 ..... 0....... W

Updated.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
hey guys, i check in from time to time to see you guys chat...... happy new year......

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
hey guys, i check in from time to time to see you guys chat...... happy new year......

Now what about those Philly guys and their glocks in the Gameday Chat?

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
just to set a few things straight, newbill decided to transfer closer to home was set in motion way before aug. it happened in aug. becuz he helped usm's apr. and was in summer school there. (one must be eligible to play where a player leaves in order to be eligible and receive an athletic schollie where they are going) plus newbills mother was sick. she pass last september. he had offers from all the local schools but we advised him to stay out the city due to the violence and turf wars. philly is a very tuff place to live in for an inner city kid. another thing, when dj was coming out of high school the high school dropped the ball on helping him with his paper work for mu, clearinghouse, & sending sat score to the proper places, after i left the team, i had dj gather everything and i sbmitted it. you see i wasnt just dj's coach i was and i still am a father figure, mentor, and pastor to this young man. again when i came on this site, it was based on dj coming to mu. we had no, i repeat no idea that dj was to be released for another player. i notice someone said on here that i came at coach buzz on this site, never happened. it was a sad thing but life goes on. i still wish buzz and mu success to this very day. but at the end of the day God knows the truth of the matter. you guys just speculate, not one of you had any connection to the story. and guy stats dont determine whose a better player, the blue/newbill debate can go on forever and we still wont determine who is better. but we can pray for and support these young men as they endeavor to help their perspective team win every game they play in. so with that being said, again have a happy new year....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
just to set a few things straight, newbill decided to transfer closer to home was set in motion way before aug. it happened in aug. becuz he helped usm's apr. and was in summer school there. (one must be eligible to play where a player leaves in order to be eligible and receive an athletic schollie where they are going) plus newbills mother was sick. she pass last september. he had offers from all the local schools but we advised him to stay out the city due to the violence and turf wars. philly is a very tuff place to live in for an inner city kid. another thing, when dj was coming out of high school the high school dropped the ball on helping him with his paper work for mu, clearinghouse, & sending sat score to the proper places, after i left the team, i had dj gather everything and i sbmitted it. you see i wasnt just dj's coach i was and i still am a father figure, mentor, and pastor to this young man. again when i came on this site, it was based on dj coming to mu. we had no, i repeat no idea that dj was to be released for another player. i notice someone said on here that i came at coach buzz on this site, never happened. it was a sad thing but life goes on. i still wish buzz and mu success to this very day. but at the end of the day God knows the truth of the matter. you guys just speculate, not one of you had any connection to the story. and guy stats dont determine whose a better player, the blue/newbill debate can go on forever and we still wont determine who is better. but we can pray for and support these young men as they endeavor to help their perspective team win every game they play in. so with that being said, again have a happy new year....

Happy new year to you too. Never take anything you read on a message board to seriously, especially when it comes to someone you're personally connected with.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »

What Marquette issue?  He never enrolled, hell, he never even applied to Marquette.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
Happy new year to you too. Never take anything you read on a message board to seriously, especially when it comes to someone you're personally connected with.

+1 (I'll take the high road.)

Sorry to hear of his mother's passing and good to see it's working out for DJ. Kudos to you for your work with him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear of DJ's mother's passing, it's a tribute to her that DJ continues on in such an outstanding manner.  Happy New Year to you and DJ.  I'm sure that DJ is fortunate to have others like yourself looking out for him at this difficult time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
...such as Sultan

Are you not aware that Sultan is a highly respected poster. And that he refs kid basketball? How dare you question his expertise.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2013, 07:44:56 AM »
Will be interesting tonight: former MU recruit takes on former MU coach
SS Marquette

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
We have different definitions of interesting.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt