[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill  (Read 17097 times)

amgine

• Walk-On
DJ Newbill
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Saw DJ Newbill's name come across the bottom line on ESPN and was surprised to see the numbers he is putting up.  Glad to see he is doing so well. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/53149/dj-newbill

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »
He's had a better college career than Vander has...or Jamil Wilson for that matter....too bad he never made it to MU...cause he's a player.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »
He's not shooting at a very good %, but it's still good to see him playing some high major ball and getting a lot of playing time regardless.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
He's obviously a solid player that would have contributed at MU, but individual stats on bad teams can be deceiving. See, for example, Trent Lockett.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Different players: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&p1=vander-blue

Newbill's shooting percentages aren't as good.
Turns the ball over enough to rank 80th. 
If you look at everything from the link above, I'd take Blue.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »
Of course you'd take Blue.  Anyone with an IQ higher than a snail takes Blue.  DJ Newbill has played one full year for Southern Mississippi, and about a dozen games for a B10 bottom feeder that has played one team of significance so far this year.  (NC State...where he went 6/12 with five turnovers.)

I'm glad he's landed on his feet, but "a better college career than Vander?"  A three year contributor for a team that has gone to back to back Sweet 16s?

Cmon...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:07:14 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »
Glad to see his life wasn't ruined after all.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
Of course you'd take Blue.  Anyone with an IQ higher than a snail takes Blue.  DJ Newbill has played one full year for Southern Mississippi, and about a dozen games for a B10 bottom feeder that has played one team of significance so far this year.  (NC State...where he went 6/12 with five turnovers.)

I'm glad he's landed on his feet, but "a better college career than Vander?"  A three year contributor for a team that has gone to back to back Sweet 16s?

Cmon...

He is also the only scoring option for a bottom feeder who's only other scorer is on a medical redshirt with a shredded ACL.  This is another case of statistics confirming the color of the sky is green.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »
Was this guy supposed to come to MU? I forgot the story on him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
Was this guy supposed to come to MU? I forgot the story on him.

He committed to Marquette in 2010 with the Vander/Gardner class. Around August, Jamil Wilson announced his intention to transfer from Oregon. Shortly thereafter, it was learned that Newbill was not admitted to Marquette because he had never submitted his application. The Newbill camp, led by one of his coaches posting profusely on this forum, ripped Buzz and our staff saying they were running Newbill off. Wilson got the scholarship that would have went to Newbill, Reggie Smith announced he was transferring a couple months later (would have opened up that spot for DJ) but by then Newbill was already playing at Southern Miss. After one year at Southern Miss he transferred closer to home to Penn State, sat out a year, and now is one of their leading players.

In terms of recruiting rankings, he was the lowest rated player in that class and seemed to be another wing guard/forward, which we had many of. Suffice to say, he was expendable. Not sure exactly how it went down, but that's what I remember.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Glad to see his life wasn't ruined after all.

LOL. Good one, Pakuni.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »

Cmon...

I would have thought snails were pretty low on the list with regard to IQ, but apparently not..because if you feel Blue has been a better college player thus far than Newbill - you sir aren't very bright.

Care to look at rebounding numbers?  Assists?  And 3 year contributor??  Vander's played 2 full seasons.  You consider Vander's freshman year contributing?  If you want to play the competition card - I'll be glad to break out Vander's Big East stats from his first 2 years...pretty sure that would paint an ugly picture.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:50 PM »
***Sigh***

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
I would have thought snails were pretty low on the list with regard to IQ, but apparently not..because if you feel Blue has been a better college player thus far than Newbill - you sir aren't very bright.

Care to look at rebounding numbers?  Assists?  And 3 year contributor??  Vander's played 2 full seasons.  You consider Vander's freshman year contributing?  If you want to play the competition card - I'll be glad to break out Vander's Big East stats from his first 2 years...pretty sure that would paint an ugly picture.

Yes because we ALL KNOW that the Big East is similar to Conference USA when it comes to competition.

This isn't even a debate worth having because it is dumb.  You are looking at the stats of a guy who played one year for a mediocre mid-major team, and a handful of mostly bad non-conference games for a poor Big Ten team that is lacking quality scorers.  You are comparing them to a guy who is playing in his third year at the highest level of college basketball...two years as a starter.

The best part about this is that I would bet you anything that you have never seen Newbill play.  You wouldn't recognize the guy if he walked into your living room.  You are just reading the stats and saying "Hey, he must be better because he scores more!!!"  (Or more accurately, "I need to say something bad about Vander to save some face because I have been proven completely wrong about the guy...I know...I'll compare him to DJ Newbill.")

DJ F*cking Newbill.  The legend that never dies on Scoop.

Inanity.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:47:36 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
Sultan, why do you bother?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »

Damn good question.  Not going to bother with this thread unless someone else makes a decent argument.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

Yes because we ALL KNOW that the Big East is similar to Conference USA when it comes to competition.

This isn't even a debate worth having because it is dumb.  You are looking at the stats of a guy who played one year for a mediocre mid-major team, and a handful of mostly bad non-conference games for a poor Big Ten team that is lacking quality scorers.  You are comparing them to a guy who is playing in his third year at the highest level of college basketball...two years as a starter.

The best part about this is that I would bet you anything that you have never seen Newbill play.  You wouldn't recognize the guy if he walked into your living room.  You are just reading the stats and saying "Hey, he must be better because he scores more!!!"  (Or more accurately, "I need to say something bad about Vander to save some face because I have been proven completely wrong about the guy...I know...I'll compare him to DJ Newbill.")

DJ F*cking Newbill.  The legend that never dies on Scoop.

Inanity.
Agh....Southern Miss was 22-10 in C-USA DJ's freshmen year....and I watched a number of their games..would recognize him immediately...nice try though.  He's a big, physical guard, who would bother the hell out of Vander....which by all accounts he did at MU's Elite Camp prior to MU signing him...

How do you reconcile (or make excuses as you always do for Vander) for his lack of rebounding, assists and blocks this year?  He's improved 1000 fold offensively (thank God), but has fallen off significantly in the areas that were his only redeeming areas his first 2 season - defense and rebounding.  Furthermore, Vander isn't a lock down defender by any means...he's good for getting beat off the dribble a few times a game as it is..

Here's Newbill and Vander's freshman years...but go ahead...chalk it up to competition level...Vander had the benefit of playing with 3 NBA players on the team his freshman year and was a complete afterthought for teams and still was awful...DJ Newbill was a focal point for teams to stop..as a freshman, and of course this year, as he has no supporting cast at PSU.  But go ahead, ignore the stats...as you always do...instead relying on your "basketball IQ."

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&devonte-newbill=2010-2011&p1=vander-blue

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
I'll simply suggest that if Vander Blue were to announce he intends to transfer, programs far better than Penn State would be seeking his services.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »

I agree - he makes idiotic point after idiotic point.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
I'll simply suggest that if Vander Blue would to announce he intends to transfer, programs far better than Penn State would be seeking his services.

And..considering he couldn't transfer to a Big East school due to the Marquette issue...and wanted to play in a high major league...closer to home...that might explain why he's at Penn State...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
Ners, I will back off on you not knowing what Newbill looks like.

The rest isn't worth my time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Ners, I will back off on you not knowing what Newbill looks like.

The rest isn't worth my time.

Fair enough...yet I'd have to say to make the statement like its hands down/no contest...Vander is a clear cut better player up to this point in their respective careers is a huge stretch.

I suspect Newbill will post better numbers than Blue this year, and next as well...and the Big 10 and Big East are at least comparable in quality this year....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
And..considering he couldn't transfer to a Big East school due to the Marquette issue...and wanted to play in a high major league...closer to home...that might explain why he's at Penn State...

The A-10 has some nice programs in his area ... oh,wait you said high major league.  Nevermind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
Fair enough...yet I'd have to say to make the statement like its hands down/no contest...Vander is a clear cut better player up to this point in their respective careers is a huge stretch.

I suspect Newbill will post better numbers than Blue this year, and next as well...and the Big 10 and Big East are at least comparable in quality this year....

Having "a better college career" and/or putting up better numbers is not the same thing as being a better basketball player. DJ Newbill is a nice player who's having a nice career so far and putting up some solid numbers, numbers that may even be better than Blue's but so what? Germantown's own Ben Averkamp has put up better numbers than Blue and having an outstanding career for Loyola. Does that mean MU really missed the boat on him and he'd be putting up 16ppg for MU this season? How about Keifer Sykes at GB? He has better numbers than Blue. Does that make him a better player? Sammy Mejia and Wesley Matthews had very similar college numbers. Does that mean they're equal players?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
He committed to Marquette in 2010 with the Vander/Gardner class. Around August, Jamil Wilson announced his intention to transfer from Oregon. Shortly thereafter, it was learned that Newbill was not admitted to Marquette because he had never submitted his application. The Newbill camp, led by one of his coaches posting profusely on this forum, ripped Buzz and our staff saying they were running Newbill off. Wilson got the scholarship that would have went to Newbill, Reggie Smith announced he was transferring a couple months later (would have opened up that spot for DJ) but by then Newbill was already playing at Southern Miss. After one year at Southern Miss he transferred closer to home to Penn State, sat out a year, and now is one of their leading players.

In terms of recruiting rankings, he was the lowest rated player in that class and seemed to be another wing guard/forward, which we had many of. Suffice to say, he was expendable. Not sure exactly how it went down, but that's what I remember.

Around August?  Just how cruel do you think Buzz is?  More like June.  He gave Newbill a couple of months to try and get a new gig.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback