[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looks like Todd's Back  (Read 11271 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Looks like Todd's Back
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
16 points in the second half Wednesday. Less than 50 points twice already this season - once (Florida) in an uptempo game. this team has a SEVERE lack of offensive firepower. We have 3 guys in the rotation (Otule, Anderson and D Wilson) who can only score on uncontested layups, 2 who can score on dribble penetration (Junior and Vander) but can't shoot, 1 who can only shoot but maybe not at this level (Thomas) and 1 enigma Jamil) who can score inside/outside but disappears for long, long stretches every game. Not enough Data yet on Lockett, but everything (shooting %, turnovers) suggests he's not a reliable scorer either. Our one reliable scorer is Davante, and even he has significant limitations.

Todd Mayo is not an All American. On last year's team that had 2 go to scorers he was a guy you could ride if he was hot and sit if he wasn't. This year's team doesn't have that luxury. Mayo is the ONLY true inside/outside aggressive threat we have. Once he's rounded into shape, we need big minutes and big production from him.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:33:44 AM by Lennys Tap »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
Lenny's man, you need a job at ESPN. Concise and precise analysis.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Basically, Todd is a welcomed addition, can only help.  I am sure he can get his shot against a zone anytime he will want.  If he hits a few, the teams will have to go man.  He
can be a difference maker.  Hope he is in playing shape.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »

No.  He was reinstated yesterday.  But even if I buy your Monday argument, you weren't "correct."  Your statement was that if he wasn't on the team by Wednesday, he wouldn't be on the team at all.  You can't possibly know if that was the case if he was eligible Monday.  At best you can say your statement was "unproven."

Ok words semantics time.  He began practicing with the team Monday.  He was "reinstated" yesterday.

When was he "eligible?"  Answer Monday.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
Ok words semantics time.  He began practicing with the team Monday.  He was "reinstated" yesterday.

When was he "eligible?"  Answer Monday.

You've been playing fast and loose with words lately....have you found any evidence yet where people you accused of saying MU was going to the Dukiet days when Buzz was hired?  Semantics?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »
Ok words semantics time.  He began practicing with the team Monday.  He was "reinstated" yesterday.

When was he "eligible?"  Answer Monday.

OK...because you are being completely obtuse, I went back to find your original statement.  This is what you said:

"If he is eligible and does not come back by Wednesday, then he is never coming back.  If he is still ineligible, then he is never coming back anyway.  Their is no reason to hold of on reinstating him after Wednesday unless you do not want him back."

He was not "reinstated" until after Wednesday.  (Using your word from above.)  

Therefore you were wrong.  You *can* admit that sometimes you know...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me who on our team is a better scorer than Mayo?  I bet you cant... this is a big deal

Welcome back Todd!

DG, he should get 10-15 shots a game.  But getting Todd back is huuuuuuge.  There maybe isn't a better shooter. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

OK...because you are being completely obtuse, I went back to find your original statement.  This is what you said:

"If he is eligible and does not come back by Wednesday, then he is never coming back.  If he is still ineligible, then he is never coming back anyway.  Their is no reason to hold of on reinstating him after Wednesday unless you do not want him back."

He was not "reinstated" until after Wednesday.  (Using your word from above.)  

Therefore you were wrong.  You *can* admit that sometimes you know...

He started practicing on Monday (because he was eligible to) and was reinstated on Thursday, not Wednesday, because Todd's mother flight was cancelled and the meeting between her, Todd and Buzz was pushed back a day.

So, I was wrong.  Happy now?

And what is your point in constantly bringing this up?  Did you cancel her flight so you could be proven correct?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
The team has been missing a guy who can "create his own" in the half court.  Todd is that type of player.  We don't move to national championship contender with his return, but I think we move into a solid 7-10 seed range with potential to do some damage in the tournament depending on matchups.  Not bad for a down year after losing two NBA draft picks.  And with the incoming talent our future's so bright we gotta wear shades.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 11:54:09 AM »
Great news, but he isn't Jimmy Chitwood.    A valuable piece, though, one that was missing.  

Now that's a traditional we could use.

Chitwood has snuck back into the NCAA.  He's playing for Butler under the name Rotnei Clark.  Chitwood always did his best work in Hinkle Fieldhouse

Moderators: Excellent job combining all the threads about this topic into one; i.e. the original from amgine, and the following ones by PaintTouches and (finally) Hunt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:58:21 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
It's interesting that a Freshman who averaged eight points and three rebounds in 20 minutes wouldn't get people excited about what kind of improvement will come to his game in his second season now that his position is wide open.
Wow, you're saying Vander quit the team?  When did that happen?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »
Mayo is BY FAR the most talented perimeter player MU has on its roster.  Can anyone here say they feel more confident a good outcome will happen when the ball is in the hands of any of our other perimeter players?  Mayo can score at the basket, mid range, and from the 3.  Off the dribble, step back jumpers...basically the whole repertoire of an offensive game.

Todd has serious game.  Let's hope things all go smoothly from here on out - because the guy is an All Big East type of talent.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
Wow, you're saying Vander quit the team?  When did that happen?

I think at this level Vander is more of a 3. I would expect Otule's minutes to drop as a result of Todd's return. MU will find that they are better smaller once they get into conference. I think Jamil will play a lot at the 5 once the conference gets going when Gardner is not in.

Cadougan
Mayo
Blue
Wilson
Gardner

I hope we see a lot of this lineup going forward.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
I think at this level Vander is more of a 3. I would expect Otule's minutes to drop as a result of Todd's return. MU will find that they are better smaller once they get into conference. I think Jamil will play a lot at the 5 once the conference gets going when Gardner is not in.

Cadougan
Mayo
Blue
Wilson
Gardner

I hope we see a lot of this lineup going forward.

you'd need to sub D for O on this lineup as you'd have a tough time getting any rebounds or defending anyone close to the rim with those 5. but i agree that's our best looking offensive 5.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
It's interesting that a Freshman who averaged eight points and three rebounds in 20 minutes wouldn't get people excited about what kind of improvement will come to his game in his second season now that his position is wide open.

I would put a qualifier on the freshman-to-sophomore improvement, Mayo wasn't a typical freshman. He is really old for his age and also has a background where he played with elite talent. A lot of times there is a huge struggle for freshmen because they physically haven't matured and they aren't used to the level of competition. That's one of the reasons why Mayo didn't improve a lot throughout the year like a typical freshmen.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »

He started practicing on Monday (because he was eligible to) and was reinstated on Thursday, not Wednesday, because Todd's mother flight was cancelled and the meeting between her, Todd and Buzz was pushed back a day.

So, I was wrong.  Happy now?

Yep.

And what is your point in constantly bringing this up?  Did you cancel her flight so you could be proven correct?

Just to be a dick.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »
Wonder where Mayo was able to practice if he wasn't allowed to play in a Marquette gym.  Does anyone know?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Wonder where Mayo was able to practice if he wasn't allowed to play in a Marquette gym.  Does anyone know?

I would guess he probably played games over at the Helfaer Rec. Maybe subbing in where Dylan Flood was playing last year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.