[Today at 04:03:00 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by barfolomew
[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Unofficial "Buzz to ______" Archive  (Read 64684 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: CBS Sports Believes UCLA Will Court Buzz Williams
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »
With the recruiting class he has and the talent he has coming back he would be a moron to leave for UCLA. If he leaves he would be just as bad as Crean and he would have done it for the same reasons. It's clear and simple. If he is a man of his word, and he really will stay as long as we'll have him then we are happy and lucky to have him. If he leaves than I think the last two coaches have created a PROGRAM that is bigger than a COACH.

As Parrish and Goodman (national writers at least not to this point called out by lab warrior as card carrying members of the tin foil hatters) have reported, Buzz was not hired by his current bosses and his relationship with his AD is less than warm and fuzzy. There's more to feeling "wanted" than $$$.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »

If he does leave, it is what it is, Marquette is not a preferred destination compared to a bluebood bball school  (but I am sure the lunatic, unwarranted LW hatorade will be in full force)....

Without question.  A cottage industry in and of itself.  The t-shirts are probably on the press now ready to be run and the pitchforks & torches at the ready.

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] Buzz Williams-to-UCLA chatter has begun
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
I don't get the logic of UCLA is a better program than Marquette, so if the coach of Marquette is offered the UCLA job, then e would for sure take it.  

This is Gary Parrish in a nutshell.  He basically guaranteed that buzz would take Arkansas or Oklahoma based on that logic.  You'd have to think Buzz was contacted ahead of Lon Kruger so it didn't work out.

I would guess that Buzz values home and religion over prestige.  I actually was surprised he didn't want to go home to a private school paying big money when SMU came calling even given the drop in prestige.  I'm less worried about UCLA given the past few years.  I'd be more worried about Kentucky, KU, or Texas.

Even if Buzz does want to leave some day, there is something to be said for staying at MU for Vander and Jamils senior year and then a few years to develop this great recruiting class.  He would have a built up track record like Crean to weather some bad times. If he jumped now, he would be in danger of a quick hook like his old friend Billy G at Kentucky.  

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
The funny thing is that this is exactly the crap the Buzz was talking about in his post game press conference after the Butler game.  About how internet types are ruining journalism.  This is just another example.  Mike Hunt taking speculation by CBS writers as a story.  

Hey how bout you write a story, then I’ll write a story about your story and put my name at the bottom of it and call it a day.  Nice work Hunt.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »
Without question.  A cottage industry in and of itself.  The t-shirts are probably on the press now ready to be run and the pitchforks & torches at the ready.
You act like this is a done deal Chicos.  Is it?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »

What?  No.  It's just speculation with no evidence to back it up.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
Since I have access to the internet, and I am a fool, I would like to break the "story" that MU is interested in Ben Howland as its new Men's Basketball Coach since Buzz is leaving for UCLA.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »
I've watched enough House of Cards to know that someone with an agenda is feeding him false information.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2013, 09:02:30 AM »
There was a much more obvious tell in his press conference indicating the likelihood of him going anywhere is zilch... but no one else has picked up on it?  Geez... I want to play no-limit poker with all of you guys.
drop some knowledge on me
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »
Or Keno Davis, Rob Lowery, or Brad Brownell.

Oviuosly we'll move forward and make the best of it but a coaching search is not as easy and certain as u make it out Chicos.  Xavier, nc state, wake forest, Georgia tech know too well. I don't take for granted our success/ successful coaches.

And Shaka Smart?  Highly unlikely

You are correct, it is not easy, but I have confidence considering the university has done rather well with 5 of the last 6 men's basketball hires. 

MU moving into a new conference in which it should be a championship contender year in and year out is also a positive for us.  In the Big East, it was easy to find an excuse not to come to MU with Syracuse, Uconn, Louisville, etc, etc, blocking an easier path to success.

Shaka Smart...from Wisconsin...never say never.  Dream big.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
You act like this is a done deal Chicos.  Is it?

Chicos  can't wait to gloat. Just read the last game thread to find out his motive,  God forbid IU wins the NC he will become even more insufferable.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:12:19 AM by hairyworthen »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

Loyalty is a two way street though.  Yeah MU pays him a lot of money, and gave him the resources to outbid Illinois for a top-notch assistant.  That's good.  

Now MU changes some academic policies for the entire University, and it impacts the basketball team.  MU now requires its athletes as freshmen to live in a regular dorm.  The University fired one of his best friends.  (I'm not bringing any of these things up to debate them, just pointing out how Buzz might feel peeved at his current bosses.)

Look, I have heard enough speculation and rumors and honestly I have no idea how Buzz feels.  I have decided this year to just let it roll.  What happens, happens and there isn't really anything I can do about it.

And yet despite those changes, MU wins the Big East and is in the Sweet 16 again.  No front page BS on the Chicago Tribune or other stuff.  If his friend didn't lie, he would still be at MU.

If he thinks the academic clamps are tougher at MU, he's going to just love the criteria at UCLA.  1/3 of the kids on the MU roster right now won't be admitted at UCLA.  That's not a dig at MU, that's showing the criteria at UCLA for their programs.   

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
And yet despite those changes, MU wins the Big East and is in the Sweet 16 again.  No front page BS on the Chicago Tribune or other stuff.  If his friend didn't lie, he would still be at MU.

If he thinks the academic clamps are tougher at MU, he's going to just love the criteria at UCLA.  1/3 of the kids on the MU roster right now won't be admitted at UCLA.  That's not a dig at MU, that's showing the criteria at UCLA for their programs.   

MU's academic clamps???!!! You mean the ones that are allowing him to have a top 5 NATIONALLY RANKED recruiting class NEXT YEAR, right?! Please.

The wisdom (or lack there of) and common sense (or lack there of) on this board and by reporters is just astounding. No...I take that back. In the case of reporters, it's pure laziness.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »

That's bullsh.t Chicos.   UCLA does not have strict academic restrictions for basketball or football.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
I am going to enjoy this week and hopefully the week after this one cheering on the Warriors. This team, led by it's coach, has become a lot of fun to watch. While we might not be the best basketball to watch they sure make it exciting. Whatever happens after the season is over is going to happen regardless of what I want to happen. Having a coach even being speculated as a potential UCLA coach means the program is doing great.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »

Of course not, but that will be the reaction here.  There are people on this board that think basketball should be a professional sport without university oversight and Buzz should have no boss.  That is not hyperbole, I will gladly link the posts of said posters who have said that.  Don't give him a boss, let him do what he wants, get out of his way, etc, etc, etc.  Again, that's the irony if he goes to a place like UCLA.....he'll be wearing "oversight" like a pair of underwear.

I don't think Buzz is a big enough name for UCLA fans, but it depends how many names they strike out with to ultimately answer that.   A UCLA co-worker sent me an email last night after the Ben Howland firing was made official.  He ended it with "your coach's name is seriously BUZZ"?  99% of UCLA fans have no idea who Buzz Williams is, but if they strike out enough.  I also don't think he is a good fit for the culture.

But, It's UCLA, It's UCLA and that has a draw to many. Excellent school, one of the world's best and more banners than anyone.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
I am going to enjoy this week and hopefully the week after this one cheering on the Warriors. This team, led by it's coach, has become a lot of fun to watch. While we might not be the best basketball to watch they sure make it exciting. Whatever happens after the season is over is going to happen regardless of what I want to happen. Having a coach even being speculated as a potential UCLA coach means the program is doing great.

Wise words.   I'll leave all this stuff alone until some VCU douche starts posting here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »
I don't get the logic of UCLA is a better program than Marquette, so if the coach of Marquette is offered the UCLA job, then e would for sure take it.

I said yesterday and truly believe that while UCLA is a bigger job, it is not a better job. UCLA likes to pay their coaches on the cheap, Marquette is happy to give big contracts once you prove you deserve them. UCLA hasn't been in the top-25 in attendance since 1983, Marquette has been in the top-25 every year since 2002. UCLA is disappointed with anything less than a Final Four every year, Marquette is happy to make the Sweet 16.

More money, better fan support, lower expectations. The only possible edge you have at UCLA is recruiting, but clearly Buzz can recruit to Milwaukee.

Buzz has turned down Oklahoma, Arkansas, SMU, and Texas A&M. I don't think he's going to leave just because the job is in the South. Will he leave for a blue blood? Maybe, but it would have to be the right fit. I could see Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, or maybe Texas, but I'm not sure all of them would be interested in Buzz (mainly not sure about Duke and UNC). UCLA just doesn't fit his personality.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
You are correct, it is not easy, but I have confidence considering the university has done rather well with 5 of the last 6 men's basketball hires. 

Really? Majerus (great future coach who wasn't ready), Dukiet (disaster), KO, Deane (mediocre), TC and Buzz. That's one grand slam (Buzz), a couple of doubles (KO and TC) two misses (Rick and Deane) and one disaster (Dukiet). You're a much easier grader than me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
MU's academic clamps???!!! You mean the ones that are allowing him to have a top 5 NATIONALLY RANKED recruiting class NEXT YEAR, right?! Please.

The wisdom (or lack there of) and common sense (or lack there of) on this board and by reporters is just astounding. No...I take that back. In the case of reporters, it's pure laziness.

NIV, that's EXACTLY my point.  The anti-LW, anti-Pilarz, leave Buzz alone, let him do whatever he wants crowd doesn't realize that they are allowing Buzz a ton of wiggle room which has resulted in great on the court success, great recruiting class.  But there are people here that will say Buzz has been restricted too much on who he can go after.  I say nonsense, I'm in agreement with you.   Despite the "friction", the program and university are better off for it.  The off the court BS has stopped, the team is doing better than ever and the talent coming in next year the best in years.  Everyone wins and the "anti LW" crowd can pound sound as far as I'm concerned.

I'm hoping Buzz is here for at least 5 more years...it would be nice to have a coach here for 10 years.....it's been since Al McGuire.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2013, 09:17:23 AM »
And yet despite those changes, MU wins the Big East and is in the Sweet 16 again.  No front page BS on the Chicago Tribune or other stuff.  If his friend didn't lie, he would still be at MU.

Actually, that is not true.  It is likely why he lied in the first place.

If he thinks the academic clamps are tougher at MU, he's going to just love the criteria at UCLA.  1/3 of the kids on the MU roster right now won't be admitted at UCLA.  That's not a dig at MU, that's showing the criteria at UCLA for their programs.    

I would love to hear who those third are.  I mean, as long as we are mindlessly speculating, we might as well go all in right???

JD

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
C**t is as bright as a burnt out lightbulb.

Isn't he the same cat who asked buzz the same question in the presser after Roger was shut down for asking the question just 2 minutes earlier?  Buzz replied with something like "you're my boy, but i'm not telling you"

I wish Buzz would rip into Hunt after we win this Thursday, but that's not like Buzz, he probably likes Hunt writing this bulls*it, so he has some leverage with LW.  But who knows.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »

Goose, you are right on the money. We should be soaking this in, I know I am. Unfortunately there are certain posters who like to stir sh.t and look for every opportunity to discredit the current coach.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
The off the court BS has stopped,

You are as bad as the f*cking Badger board with the "off the court BS."  There was *one* incident that wasn't handled correctly by the University, because the University's own policies were screwed up.  It wasn't an indictment of the basketball coach.

Seriously, do you lack for attention in your life that you need to constantly spew over-the-top statements??  You are a piece of work.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2013, 09:21:27 AM »
That's bullsh.t Chicos.   UCLA does not have strict academic restrictions for basketball or football.  

Actually it is anything but BS.  You don't know what you are talking about.  I have a number of friends in the UCLA athletic department and compared to MU's, they are much stricter.  I've spoken to Dan several times over the years about his challenges as an AD in that conference with the academic requirements they have.  The culture at UCLA is that Stanford can win with high academic standards, so can we.  There is no escaping it.  There have been many So. Cal recruits they don't get involved in because the kids won't make it.

feedback