[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where did you stand on the hire before and where do you stand now?

Didn't like it and still don't
24 (19.4%)
I've liked it the whole time
32 (25.8%)
Didn't like it but I've changed my mind
19 (15.3%)
Ambivalent
29 (23.4%)
Ambivalent at first but now sold
20 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Author Topic: What's Your Post Presser Stance?  (Read 7383 times)

drewm88

• All American
What's Your Post Presser Stance?
« on: April 08, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
I will admit I was disappointed we didn't get the marquee name. Was willing to give Buzz a chance though, and this press conference made me feel more confident.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: What's Your Post Presser Stance?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
He definitely started to fire up towards the end.  He was getting more and more comfortable.  We cannot expect the world today, but he did a nice job.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »
I was bummed at first that we didnt get a well known coach, but I am definitly excited now. I feel like the program for the time being is in good hands. I cant wait to see what sort of staff he puts under him and am looking forward to seeing how he puts together our team in the future.

Big things... I see big things for the future.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »
He is my alma mater's coach and starting at 3 PM EST today I officially liked him the whole time.  Go get 'em, Buzz!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
I listened to it on the radio, and he projects a humbleness with passive tenacity. I personally love to hear a coach being humble, sure beats being a cocky, tanned self-gloater.

I personally enjoyed, "Well coach, it's cold up there. Then you're probably not tough enough to play for us."

86Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
Would love to see him name a good experienced guy as his #1 asst----not sure who that would be but like the thought of it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »
It's still ridiculous. You just watched a guy who can't believe that somebody just handed him a winning lottery ticket.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
I wanted so badly to be impressed and psyched after watching the press conference. Instead, it brought me back to how I felt about the program while I was in school during the Dukiet days: Small-time. Between Cottingham and Buzz (can't get used to referring to a grown man as Buzz) it had the feel of a small time school putting on a press conference. I like Buzz's obvious passion, but his numerous apologies for forgetting people etc.. was polite and personable, but also had the feel of a guy in way over his head.

We'll see, but not the impressive start I was hoping for.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
I wanted so badly to be impressed and psyched after watching the press conference. Instead, it brought me back to how I felt about the program while I was in school during the Dukiet days: Small-time.

This is bull sh*t. If you have been to any of the MU games since we joined the BEast, you would know that we are not a small-time team. Just becuase we have a coach of lesser noteriety than you wanted, does not make us less of a program. We are not a small program, we are not in a small, meaningless conference, (i am fighting the urge to write We are Marquette, to end this sentence). The coach isnt the household name we were looking for, but he is still our coach now. If you cant get on board with that, you are not an MU basketball fan and you should turn in all your blue and gold.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »
WOW-a little edgy JayBilasWho???

I am, and have been, a huge Marquette fan for the past 20 years. I will still spend far more time than I should following the team through the offseason, next season and into the future. Your response is a little ridiculous. The fact my gut reaction to the press conference as I watched it online was "small-time" doesn't mean the program, conference etc....are small-time. You are making a big leap there. In fact, my negative reaction was probably due to the fact I believed we had made it to the big time competing in a power conference like the BEast. I guess that belief led me to believe we'd end up with someone with a little more of a track record than what we got.

It was obvious that neither Cunningham nor Buzz had done this before. That doesn't mean he won't ultimately be a good coach or that I have to turn in all my Warriors gear; it was just an observation of the press conference and my reaction to it. The Dukiet era was soooo depressing; I don't want to go back down that road. Given the competition in the BEast, it'd be easy to get buried quick if we aren't up to the challenge. Buzz will ultimately be judged on how the team does--end of story.

Lighten up, Jay.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
Williams is inheriting a squad of experienced players (4 seniors 4 juniors), all of whom had significant playing time together as a team.  With the assistance of a good coaching staff, the team should be fine for 2008-2009 season. The true barometer will be the 2009-2010 season with the seniors departed, but who will be the incoming freshmen?  This freshman class will determine his and the programs fate.  But again, this was the reason he was hired as the head coach, so we can all monitor his recruiting skills. The benefit of doubt will be in form the first year, but then the true test will commence.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »
I've thought it would be a solid hire the whole time.  And as you can see by my new signature, I'm now even more of a fan.  Congrats Buzz!
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
He's the coach now.  I support him.  Let's go MU.  

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »
He's a recruiter... a salesman...he's supposed to make you feel all warm inside...

I wasn't sold at first but I have hope. I hope it works out and I think we'll be okay...

I support him

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
WOW-a little edgy JayBilasWho???

I am, and have been, a huge Marquette fan for the past 20 years. I will still spend far more time than I should following the team through the offseason, next season and into the future. Your response is a little ridiculous. The fact my gut reaction to the press conference as I watched it online was "small-time" doesn't mean the program, conference etc....are small-time. You are making a big leap there. In fact, my negative reaction was probably due to the fact I believed we had made it to the big time competing in a power conference like the BEast. I guess that belief led me to believe we'd end up with someone with a little more of a track record than what we got.

It was obvious that neither Cunningham nor Buzz had done this before. That doesn't mean he won't ultimately be a good coach or that I have to turn in all my Warriors gear; it was just an observation of the press conference and my reaction to it. The Dukiet era was soooo depressing; I don't want to go back down that road. Given the competition in the BEast, it'd be easy to get buried quick if we aren't up to the challenge. Buzz will ultimately be judged on how the team does--end of story.

Lighten up, Jay.

It was a small-time press conference and the most small-time hire of any Division 1 school in years. Please...what major conference school hired a guy with as little experience as the guy we got? Our #1 assistant for 9 months was named our head coach. If it'd been last year, would it have been Rabideaux or Sichting? How about Pannagio the year before that?

Doc Rivers, my ass! This was a crappy hire and, instead of creating excitement, has create angst!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »
I am very sold on Buzz now.  One part that stood out for me was when Emmett Prosser asked a question and Buzz answered it.

Buzz noticed that Prosser didn't feel he got enough out of the answer so Buzz let Prosser expand on the question until Prosser was satisfied with a full answer.

I like his attitude.

Welcome Buzz!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
Buzz noticed that Prosser didn't feel he got enough out of the answer so Buzz let Prosser expand on the question until Prosser was satisfied with a full answer.

Hah - I didn't hear the question, so I didn't know it was Prosser talking.  But I caught the first answer and then the "You don't look satisfied with the answer.  What else do you want to know? Go ahead an ask." (or something to that extent) .  At which point i didn't hear the follow-up, and Buzz basically said. you have to recruit fast people for the big east. 

He is *very* polite, but I don't think he'll let people walk all over him either.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
Agreed, rocky. If nothing else, his personality beats Crean's. At least he seems genuine. I was at the conference and was impressed.

The best part of it was that I walked about 2 blocks with Father Wild (I'm a student, he doesn't know me, it was just coincidence). Anyway, I said "It must have been hard to be caught off-guard by Crean." His response: "Yes, it was shocking and rude. I was very, very upset that Tom did not contact the players and they found out while watching television. Even Tom would admit he dropped the ball on that."

So, in short, my post-presser stance: Father Wild didn't mince words for once, Tom Crean sucks in my view more than ever, and I'm glad Buzz made the comments about how the first thing he did was tell the team and then later that night call the recruits. At least Buzz isn't a d-bag.

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »
The quote that wins me over - "I don't care about reputation, I care about character".....something we obviously were missing with TC.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Bs - that story about Fr. Wild is great! The truth always bubbles to the surface

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »
Bs - that story about Fr. Wild is great! The truth always bubbles to the surface

My guess is Crean would say the same thing, he definitely blew it in  how it was handled.  And yes, MU was shocked which is sad because you should NEVER be shocked and always have the short list...always.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
I believe TC has had several chances to admit that -- both in print articles and on the radio, but has chosen to simply talk about himself.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »
Wow. We're all over the place.

I can only imagine what the MU Faithful worldwide is thinking.
SS Marquette

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »

My guess is Crean would say the same thing, he definitely blew it in  how it was handled.  And yes, MU was shocked which is sad because you should NEVER be shocked and always have the short list...always.

I was just very surprised at how candid Fr Wild was with me. Chico's--I thought it was so interesting how he said "Even Tom would admit he dropped the ball," because i really wonder if Crean would admit wrongdoing. He has hardly even acknowledged the MU players in any interviews i've read since his transfer. Anyway, chalk one up for Wild.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
He's had plenty of opportunity to admit it publicly but chooses instead to make it look like we were nothing when he got here and should be thanking him for taking a dump on the people he worked for