collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU loses 2 Scholies  (Read 10383 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: IU loses 2 Scholies
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
Would the NCAA have looked further if IU hadn't self-reported at first.  Answer = NO.

There are very few investigators at the NCAA and they don't go around knocking down doors to turn things up. 

Seriously, you should go seek some help if you have that much of a hang-up on any individual person, especially one that ran a very clean program at your alma mater at MU, graduated almost all of his kids and returned MU to winning ways.  Yeah, do he's a jerk ....by your rationale a really nice guy that cheats his ass off would be ok because he didn't rub you the wrong way.  Whatever.
  Actually, chicos, IU's "self-reporting" came after numerous incidents of recruits and parents and other reps who said they had calls with Sampson that were not initiated by the recruits ( also reported in Indiana newspapers).  IU really had no choice but to investigate.  And, that my friend, is where the rub comes into play.  IU hired Sampson while he was under the NCAA radar and the IU failed miserably in supervising Sampson when they should have been watching his every move.  Then you have the academic fiasco on top.  Lets face it, IU is in a tough spot and deserves to face whatever comes.  The IU admin made its own bed and forgot to clean it and make it up on a regular schedule.  I say shame on IU.  "Self-reporting" here is a real misnomer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »
  Actually, chicos, IU's "self-reporting" came after numerous incidents of recruits and parents and other reps who said they had calls with Sampson that were not initiated by the recruits ( also reported in Indiana newspapers).  IU really had no choice but to investigate.  And, that my friend, is where the rub comes into play.  IU hired Sampson while he was under the NCAA radar and the IU failed miserably in supervising Sampson when they should have been watching his every move.  Then you have the academic fiasco on top.  Lets face it, IU is in a tough spot and deserves to face whatever comes.  The IU admin made its own bed and forgot to clean it and make it up on a regular schedule.  I say shame on IU.  "Self-reporting" here is a real misnomer.

I don't disagree at all that they failed miserably at watching over Sampson.  My point is and remains that IU still self reported the violations to the NCAA, not the other way around.

Let's put it this way....the press broke stories on Bush and others at USC and to this day NOTHING has happened.  IU, however, was already looking into some of the issues that the press reported about Sampson when the press released those stories (IU was already acting...they had hired an independent law firm in Indy which revealed their report in October of 2007) and thus I don't concur with your statement.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sports/hh/ks/?sid=226

The Herald Times has a nice timeline in the left margin of the link below

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sports/hh/ks/?sid=233

The incident you reference actually took place in February of 2008, but IU had already had the ball rolling months previously with the NCAA in October. 

IU will get what they deserve, but they certainly self reported and the NCAA will chalk that up as a positive for them.   Does it all really matter?  They're going to be bad for two years and then they'll start to make progress....much like MU was pretty bad the first two years under Crean (though this IU team will be much worse) and then year three things will improve drastically for them.   

I'd be shocked if the NCAA gives them any appreciable punishment beyond year two...maybe one scholarship in year three.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:52:56 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »
IU hired Sampson and made its own bed.  Let the NCAA dogs round these guys up.  Self-reporting is BS because the phone calls were reported by many others.  Total lack of institutional control.  The NCAA has to play its hand here or it will look foolish.

+1.  When IU got rid of Knight, I was all for it as his time was up.  But to get rid of Knight, who ran a clean program and graduated players, only to bring in Sampson who did neither, was beyond terrible. The NCAA should throw the book at IU for bringing in a guy who dirtied a clean program and a guy who couldn't care less about his players graduating.  It's shameful and a disgrace.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
+1.  When IU got rid of Knight, I was all for it as his time was up.  But to get rid of Knight, who ran a clean program and graduated players, only to bring in Sampson who did neither, was beyond terrible. The NCAA should throw the book at IU for bringing in a guy who dirtied a clean program and a guy who couldn't care less about his players graduating.  It's shameful and a disgrace.

Let's not get overboard....there was a guy named Davis in between.  At the end of the day, we're also talking about phone calls here.  There are transgressions and there are transgressions.  "Throwing the book" is typically used for programs paying players (i.e. Michigan) or having someone else take tests for athletes (i.e. Minnesota), etc.

By the way, when I was at IU Knight's team would run practices in August and September AS A TEAM which is illegal per NCAA rules.  How did they get away with it?  They would use a football.  I kid you not.  They would run fast break drills throwing a football without using a basketball and thus it was a "football practice".

Breaking the rules or just being creative?  You decide