collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: IU loses 2 Scholies  (Read 10384 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
IU loses 2 Scholies
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »
Is this why Holman was throwing plants?  Crean knew letting him out would cost him a scholie and he was telling him he could not?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/...tory?id=3471480

Giving up two scholarships for this season as being "proactive" for next year's APR.

It's total b.s. by Crean and IU.  The truth is they can't get anyone else for the '08-'09 season anyway, so "giving up" two scholarships now is meaningless - a sham.

They then want to be back in good graces for the Class of '09.  If the NCAA committee can't see through this ruse, then it's dumber than dumb.

For even trying to pull such a transparent fast one, I hope the NCAA nails IU's sorry ass to the wall.  The more I read about IU (and Crean), the more nauseated I get.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: IU loses 2 Scholies
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »
superbar?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »
During the offseason I have a hard time understanding what belongs here?  Why is this Superbar material but not "Austin Rivers to FL?"  Once you start recalssifying in July, their will be nothing left on this board. 

Save the reclassiying for after midnight October 17.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
I laughed when I read this as well.  If I were working for the NCAA and reviewing this case I'd almost be insulted that IU pulled the crap they did (or allowed for it to be pulled) and then is trying this option as an out.  It may do more harm than good in the long run.

Do you think the NCAA would ever go easy on IU because of their name and importance ($$$) to NCAA basketball ?-(

I wouldn't think so from their history of handling issues like this, but...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »
IU stinks now.  They will be lucky to win five games next year.  Greenspan was axed and they offered up another scholie to keep the NCAA off them.  They are in a panic over their situation.

From the NCAA's standpoint, why not hammer them?  They are not good and are not about to be good.  As of now they have no five-star recruits to attract attention.  So, it's a great time to make an example of them percisely because "it's Indiana!"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »
IU did the proactive thing and is showing they're ready to change by hiring Squeaky Crean (I made that one up  :D) and cleaning house (bye, bye AD).

I think they hope that these moves will make them look more favorably in the eyes of the NCAA committee.

And, anything that is IU/Crean (non-MU) related DOES belong in the SuperBar.

Austin Rivers is still a prep...so technically, it's related to MU recruiting.  ;)
SS Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »
The NCAA's not going to hammer them because they sell tickets, have a great basketball tradition and are angels compared to some of their Big Ten brethren.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »
Tne NCAA will probably out them and probation for one year, which is meaningless, because they will not make the tournament anyways.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »
"giving up" two scholarships now is meaningless - a sham

The NCAA will probably put them and probation for one year, which is meaningless, because they will not make the tournament anyways.

What alternatives do you propose?  The NCAA dishes out the punishment in response to the infraction or violation.  In men’s basketball, under the Academic Progress Rate (APR) rules, two scholarship losses is the maximum penalty.  So Indiana self-punishes at the max rate in the year following the APR shortfall -- why is that wrong?

The same thing for probation.  It will occur -- IF it occcurs -- the year following the violations.  Why is that wrong?

Are you proposing that the NCAA bank the penalties for a time when they will hurt more?  I can just see it, four or so years from now, Indiana is about to win the Big Ten tournament and get the automatic bid, so the NCAA decides "let's drop that NCAA tournament ban on them now."

That is just not how this works.

The reality is that with the housecleaning IU has done, there are no more student-athletes to punish, no coaches to punish, and no athletic administrators to punish.  IU is prepared to take its lumps, but to criticize them for taking pro-active measures is silly.  Every school is expected to do that and every school does it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »
Actually giving up two scholies and ban from the tourney does hurt IU.  And, it makes coach's idea they will win the Big Ten in four years less likely.

As it stands now, IU has a rag-tag bunch of three-star athletes, mostly Freshman.  No one on the current roster is remotely clsoe to an Eric Gordon.  Like I've said repeatedly, they look like a five win team next year.

What about the next few years?  Unless Crean runs off some guys (entirely possible but at a risk of IU's repuation given they are now under the microscope), he's only got two spots for his 09 team.  And with a ban against post season, don't expect him to sign to McDonald's AAs (like Motta just did as OSU) becuase they know they cannot particiapte in the big dance.

This loss of scholies and potential loss of a tourney bid means IU can START the process of re-building in three years.

I'm not suggest Crean cannot re-build IU into a power.  I'm suggesting these sanctions turn a 2 to 3 year process into a 5 to 6 year process.  So, it does hurt.  THey risk is after being down 5 to 6 years, many will forget you were a power in the first place.  See MU in the 1980s, see UM now.

Buzz's 6-year deal will be up before IU will be back.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »
Superbar!!!!!!!!  >:(
But I like to throw handfuls...

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 12:13:42 PM »
Actually giving up two scholies and ban from the tourney does hurt IU.  And, it makes coach's idea they will win the Big Ten in four years less likely.

As it stands now, IU has a rag-tag bunch of three-star athletes, mostly Freshman.  No one on the current roster is remotely clsoe to an Eric Gordon.  Like I've said repeatedly, they look like a five win team next year.

What about the next few years?  Unless Crean runs off some guys (entirely possible but at a risk of IU's repuation given they are now under the microscope), he's only got two spots for his 09 team.  And with a ban against post season, don't expect him to sign to McDonald's AAs (like Motta just did as OSU) becuase they know they cannot particiapte in the big dance.

This loss of scholies and potential loss of a tourney bid means IU can START the process of re-building in three years.

I'm not suggest Crean cannot re-build IU into a power.  I'm suggesting these sanctions turn a 2 to 3 year process into a 5 to 6 year process.  So, it does hurt.  THey risk is after being down 5 to 6 years, many will forget you were a power in the first place.  See MU in the 1980s, see UM now.

Buzz's 6-year deal will be up before IU will be back.

It'll hurt IU now, but not in the long run.

Look at it this way: They've decided to take ALL of their lumps in 1 to 2 seasons than have it spread out over 3 to 4 (or more).

They'll be fine, but I really do want teams like Northwestern to beat up on them!
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
Players transfering in the future would effect the four year moving average and could result in additional loss of scholarships.Giving up the two now is trying to circumvent the penalty, which should occur next year. If NCAA accepts this Indiana gets away with not being penalized, since they will not use the scholarships this year anyways and will use them next year when they should not be allowed to.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »
IU will ultimately not get the penalty that many of you here are hoping for.  Let's not forget that IU self reported all of these violations.  They could have buried them under the rug like so many schools do and hoped they never got caught, they didn't.

Clearly they lacked institutional control, the academics were a disgrace and the foxes were guarding the hen house, but because they self reported they are going to get a lot of love for that.  The self imposed penalties, whether you guys like them or not, will be counted as a plus for them.  Just the way it is.  The NCAA is also filled with IU graduates as it's about an 1 hour from campus....that will also help them.  Is what it is.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
Their biggest mistake was bringing in a known cheater like Sampson. One thing they don't have to worry about with Crean is there is cheating. He may be self-serving and a self-promoter but he will run a clean program and his kids will graduate. I just hope they graduate with records of 12-17 every year. :D

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 06:02:53 PM »
Their biggest mistake was bringing in a known cheater like Sampson. One thing they don't have to worry about with Crean is there is cheating. He may be self-serving and a self-promoter but he will run a clean program and his kids will graduate. I just hope they graduate with records of 12-17 every year. :D

I think his kids will graduate more than previously experienced at IU, but I think there will still be transfers especially early if Crean decides to ink top talent but numbskulls.
SS Marquette

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
their team has been destroyed.  They will suck for the next two years, they reported and penalized themselves as well as firing their coach midseason while their team was contending for a conference title.  There is no reason for the ncaa to not be easy for them and take it into account.  If they hired any other coach in the country no one here would care.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »
IU hired Sampson and made its own bed.  Let the NCAA dogs round these guys up.  Self-reporting is BS because the phone calls were reported by many others.  Total lack of institutional control.  The NCAA has to play its hand here or it will look foolish.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »
Ahhh not so fast Iu self reported minor violations, then the NCAA snooped around and found major!!  correct Iu is trying to take the loss of schollies this year instaed of next year when they should be given, they should not be allowed to get away with that.  Also, Tommy Naismith cannot run off too many of his 3 star guards as that will only further affect what has to be a horrendous APR.  Used to be an IU fan i will now root against them 30 times  ayear, and will for the first time in my life root for UW...well at least a couple times a year

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:38:45 PM »
NCAA Rules must be followed for all schools, and if there are violations and impending penalties, the NCAA commitee must dole them out as they see fit.  Self - imposed penalties are transparent - they are meant to head off more stringent penalties the school thinks might come down from the NCAA.

The NCAA committee should impose what they feel is a fair penalty regardless of what the university has already done. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »
When the NCAA came out last week and raised the ante by saying that IU would also be investigated for
"failure to supervise", they gave the signal that this will be a major investigation with potentially major penalties.

From the NCAA standpoint this will be a good situation to come down hard on as a deterrent to other programs from similar abuses, as the IU BB program is one of the most visible around!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »
From the NCAA standpoint this will be a good situation to come down hard on as a deterrent to other programs from similar abuses, as the IU BB program is one of the most visible around!

I agree.  If this was last year's team, top 10 with a lottery pick in Eric Gordon, then all the "its Indiana" arguments would apply.  But this is a terrible team that will finish 11th in the big 10 this year and probably next.  It is the perfect time to "hammer" a high profile program to show that the NCAA means business.

Chico, yes the NCAA is headquartered in Indianapolis and yes they have lots of IU alum on their staff.  But its not the staff that makes this call, it is an executive committee and their alligence in to the NCAA and its rules, not IU.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 11:45:44 AM »
Even if the IU grads were in a position of decision making on this, they would in all probability recuse themselves. Even if they did stick around and be part of the decision, they would go out of their way to show that they don't have an IU bias at the very least-----that is if they wanted to keep their jobs.

Careers are more important than aiding one's alma mater when they are wrong!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
Ahhh not so fast Iu self reported minor violations, then the NCAA snooped around and found major!!  correct Iu is trying to take the loss of schollies this year instaed of next year when they should be given, they should not be allowed to get away with that.  Also, Tommy Naismith cannot run off too many of his 3 star guards as that will only further affect what has to be a horrendous APR.  Used to be an IU fan i will now root against them 30 times  ayear, and will for the first time in my life root for UW...well at least a couple times a year

Would the NCAA have looked further if IU hadn't self-reported at first.  Answer = NO.

There are very few investigators at the NCAA and they don't go around knocking down doors to turn things up. 

Seriously, you should go seek some help if you have that much of a hang-up on any individual person, especially one that ran a very clean program at your alma mater at MU, graduated almost all of his kids and returned MU to winning ways.  Yeah, do he's a jerk ....by your rationale a really nice guy that cheats his ass off would be ok because he didn't rub you the wrong way.  Whatever.

jce

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »
superbar?

Agreed.  It is really getting annoying to see all IU updates posted to the main board.

feedback