collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Butch goes undrafted  (Read 5440 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Butch goes undrafted
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
In my mind this should go a long way toward dispelling the myth that Bo Ryan is a good developer of big men.  Here is a guy who was considered a top 20 prospect his senior year in High School.  Goes to Wisconsin.  Red shirt’s for Gods sake giving him 5 years in college and at 7’1” still goes undrafted.  I’d be willing to bet that if he had gone to the NBA right out of High School with his rep someone would have drafted him.  If I was the MU staff I would make sure that this story circulated in recruiting circles. 

AZWarrior

• All American
Re: Butch goes undrafted
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
Undrafted, eh?  I'm shocked.  Shocked I tell you.... ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 06:32:31 PM »
In my mind this should go a long way toward dispelling the myth that Bo Ryan is a good developer of big men.  Here is a guy who was considered a top 20 prospect his senior year in High School.  Goes to Wisconsin.  Red shirt’s for Gods sake giving him 5 years in college and at 7’1” still goes undrafted.  I’d be willing to bet that if he had gone to the NBA right out of High School with his rep someone would have drafted him.  If I was the MU staff I would make sure that this story circulated in recruiting circles. 

I wouldn't use Butch as an example as I think Bo got the maximum out of him----just doesn't have anymore natural ability than what he showed.

However I think a good case can be made that Bo did NOT get the max out of Stiemsma-----i think a lot was left on the table in that situation.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
agree with you there Murf. Stiemsma could have been a very very solid player in any system outside of the swing offense. His game doesn't fit into the swing offense and he had a lot of untapped potential because of this.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »

Awww. He didn't get drafted...I'm really sorry to hear that!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »
you know... I really don't understand the NBA draft

don't get me wrong, I can't stand Bucky, hate Butch, and think hes not a good player at all... HOWEVER

Kostos Koufus(spell check, too lazy to look up correct spelling) of Ohio St was a big stiff and not very good everytime I watched OSU play, yet goes in the first round... in my mind Butch isn't that much worse then this guy...

however at least NBA GMs are learning from their mistakes of the past years in thinking 7'0 projects are the way to go... 5 years ago, DeAndre Jordan of Texas A&M would have been a top 5 pick, and that 7' guy (with a 7'8" reach) from France would have been also a top 5-10 pick... at least NBA GMs are wising up a bit... and give it up for the Bucks making a fantastic trade, and then drafting Alexander which I think is a wise pick... its about time.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »
... and give it up for the Bucks making a fantastic trade, and then drafting Alexander which I think is a wise pick... its about time.

I would have to agree with you, Mayor. Although there is now a logjam at the small forward position, the talent is there. I think Joe Alexander can play multiple positions and Jefferson was a great get along with ridding ourselves of Bobby Simmons contract and Yi's handlers. The Hammond era's looking good so far...now if they can just find a way to trade Mo Willaims and Dan Gadzuric.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »
I wouldn't use Butch as an example as I think Bo got the maximum out of him----just doesn't have anymore natural ability than what he showed.

So lessee ...

You rip Tom Crean for not making a stud of Greg Clausen, a guy who was being recruited by virtually nobody but Marquette. And yet you give Bo a total pass on his failure to develop a McDonald's All-American, top-15 recruit who arguably was the most sought-after player in Wisconsin history?
Hmmm.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:52 AM »
I would have to agree with you, Mayor. Although there is now a logjam at the small forward position, the talent is there. I think Joe Alexander can play multiple positions and Jefferson was a great get along with ridding ourselves of Bobby Simmons contract and Yi's handlers. The Hammond era's looking good so far...now if they can just find a way to trade Mo Willaims and Dan Gadzuric.

Alexander will be playing the 4 and the team will just send out a smaller lineup.  This wouldn't be the first time this has happened in the league... look at the NBA finals... both teams played their best ball with the smaller lineup.

the game has changed from posting up to where quickness and athleticism matter a lot more... and that is exactly why the Bucks picked Alexander.  He is an amazing athlete

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »

However I think a good case can be made that Bo did NOT get the max out of Stiemsma-----i think a lot was left on the table in that situation.

wrong.  Bo got very little out of him.  Butch needed to get bigger and he did.  He didn't get any quicker which really is no surprise.  It is exactly why he didnt get drafted... he cant run the court and doesnt have the feet to be a good defensive player.

He probably would have been better served to attend MU and become a shooter like Mr. Novak did.  Stay skinny and fill a team's niche of a go to shooter.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »
or can we just blame the swing offense that Mr. Bo Ryan uses... that it is successful for the team, but doesn't help an individual player?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:38:11 PM »
So lessee ...

You rip Tom Crean for not making a stud of Greg Clausen, a guy who was being recruited by virtually nobody but Marquette. And yet you give Bo a total pass on his failure to develop a McDonald's All-American, top-15 recruit who arguably was the most sought-after player in Wisconsin history?
Hmmm.

don't forget murf ripping the coaching staff for not being able to more fully develop Dwight Burke's awesome array of post skills

feedback