[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why Marquette?  (Read 8097 times)

thelost

• Walk-On
Why Marquette?
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »
What made you want to go to Marquette... its top 2 on my list now and was wondering if one thing made you want to go there?

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Re: Why Marquette?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:56:20 PM »
I liked the city campus and the fact that the Jesuits are quite possibly the greatest educators on earth.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:59:46 PM »
Plus the smaller campus is nice. I dont wknow what COllege Station is like. But Milwaukee has a lot to offer as a city for any college student.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:16:37 PM »
Great Jesuit school in an urban setting that was far enough from my home in the Chicago suburbs, but not too far that I can't bring home laundry for my mom every so often.  :D

Seriously though, for me, it's just one of those things that is hard to explain.  It's been great having a very good major sports team to watch (thank god I didn't go to SLU).  I love the city.  There is always something to do but at the same time you are not overwhelmed by the size of the city as you could be at other places (Fordham for me).  Most importantly, it is a top notch education.  The vast majority of my professors have been amazing and truly want to see every student succeed.  You are not a number, ever.  Professors are very welcoming and almost everyone I have had (even in one of my classes with about 150 students) knows all of their students by name.  It always nice to note that the school is getting more difficult to get into, which means the collective value of every MU student's degree goes up a little bit as Marquette continues to build on its great name.  It's difficult to determine, but you just have to go to the place that you think is best/right for you.

That all may sound like some MU marketing blurb or something, but to be honest with you, when I first got here I wasn't sure if this was the place for me.  I didn't mind being here and I loved the people I met, couldn't have lived with a better group of guys on McCormick 9.  In hindsight though, I couldn't have made a better decision.  I love it here.  The people are great and it's just a place that becomes home to you.  I'm a junior and it's weird just thinking that I will be graduating in a year.  The school really becomes a part of you.

That's my advice.  Best of luck with your decision, but just do what you feel.  For me, it's really a hard thing to explain.  It's a feeling.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:18:58 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

thelost

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:34:04 PM »
thanks anymore responses would be nice... i discovered the school on total accident with my dad. My brother goes to ND and we were bringing his car home so we made a trip out of it and went to 6 games (a brewers game obviously) and stopped by the campus and it felt like home and met my educational standards

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 11:47:18 PM »
This is an easy one...80 degree weather and bikini  clad co-eds in flip flops everywhere....wait a minute wrong school.......maybe it was because of the overreactive message board fans when Marquette doesn't go 32-0 in hoops......

For me:

My situation was playing a sport, good jesuit education, wanted to go away from home for new experience,....good size school, not too big, not too small, a lot of high school kids I believe have a tough time with this aspect of college choice.  I would never have gone anywhere smaller than MU.  I also had known someone well who attended MU and had a positive experience there.   

If you do go to MU, the two best pieces of advice I can give you.

1)  Get involved in the things you think you might like, regardless of what they are...if you like them...great...if you don't you'll find something else that you will enjoy.  Your close friends at MU often times are the kids you meet your first two years in your dorm, and your activities and interests are often times formed at these times too.

2)  Take the time to find out about professors before choosing classes.  Ask around.  Who has a strong/good reputation as a professor? ...not just an easier grader... Don't also just take classes to fit your schedule....if there is a supposed interesting but challenging class with a good prof at some inconvenient day and time...even if it is hard or challenging...take it.

Try to visit your top handful of schools if you can...and do so while school is in session.  And go to places central to activity....the Union, a class....a game or whatever....and get a feel for the schools and compare.   

Curiosity?  Where are you from? ....and what type of high school expereince did you have? Where else are you looking?   I have spent a lot of time at many colleges and Universities.......and might know some in your consideration. 

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 11:53:20 PM »
As far as I am concerned, greatest school in U.S., absolutely wonderful people here. I would never have gone anywhere else. And Milwaukee is great.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:55:10 PM by HoopDreams »
Tradition Never Graduates..

thelost

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 12:19:04 AM »
austin, tx a top 100 high school rated by newsweek

looking at A&M and texas as well, from my brothers experience going out of state would be nice and marquette has made the most since so far because most public schools out of state arent any better than A&M or texas so ive been looking at private

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:59:52 AM »
I'm from Chicago and at the time was considering a school in the south....TAMU, Auburn or Ole Miss.    In the process I was applying for what I feel to be the best scholarship on earth (Evans) and I was therefore limited to schools I could pick.   Most of them were Big 11 schools and I hated the thought of going to one.  I'd die if I ever had to wear Illini Orange.  I then picked MU as my top choice was rewarded the scholarship. It was the single greatest decision I ever made in my life.

I strongly recommend anyone that even considers MU to do their best to go.  If I ever have kids, I'll do the same to them.     

caltruda

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 01:17:41 AM »
Also as a person who went to college out of state (I went to high school in NJ), the biggest selling point for me was the fact you could get right into areas that were part of your major the day you set foot on campus. I was a broadcasting major and I was able to interact and participate with the TV, radio station and newspaper in my first semester. Additionally, the professors I had were aggressive in steering us towards internships, etc.

I also was accepted at Missouri, but decided not to go because you had to essentially re-apply to the J-school after two years of general courses (note: that was as of 1991) as opposed to Marquette, where I was in Basic TV production my fall semester freshman year.

And being from the New York metropolitan area, having downtown Milwaukee less than two miles away was a huge draw for me as well.

Either way, best of luck in your selection process and hope you'll join the blue and gold.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:15 AM »
There are a couple reasons I can give off the top of my head. First, the people at MU are outstanding. From professors to the Jesuits, there are some wonderful individuals who are always available for help. MU students are a different breed as well, from my experience they are some of the most well-rounded and thoughtful people. The core curriculum really helps develop this, you have to learn how to think in several different areas, and because of this you will develop a base of knowledge in several areas.

MU is a small school that feels big-time. You will likely see someone you know on your way to class everyday (which I might add is a much, much shorter walk than UT or A&M- comes in handy during the winter). You get smaller class sizes, and a more tight-knit campus that you would see at small schools, and D1 athletics and nationally ranked programs academically that you would see at bigger schools. It really is the best of both worlds. And, there is nothing like a sold-out Bradley Center for a big game :)

Best of luck with your decision... keep us posted on your choice. Hopefully we'll be able to welcome you to the Marquette family!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 06:37:48 AM »
When the drinking age was much lower inthe old days ;), I came for a weekend.   The first night was a unbelievable floor party.  I took a schollie exam the next day with a hangover.   The second night I played basketball until 3 am at the rec center.    Two sets of great people.   The jesuits are really great.  The size of the school felt right to me. I genuinely liked Milwaukee and the fact there was so much to do just off campus or a short bus ride away.   Coming from Michigan, I could get home by Amtrak, plane, or bus if my folks couldn't get me.   Other than when I was paying off my student loans, I have never regretted it for an instant.   Good luck to you in your decision.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 07:22:29 AM »
I discovered Marquette despite my attempts not to.  I had my heart set on going to Penn State, my dad went there and I was raised Blue and White.  I wasn't even really looking at other schools, and really didn't know much about MU other than there basketball program had faded from what it was.  My cousin went to tour Marquette and my mom made me go with.  Turned out to be one of the best things she ever did.

One of the decisions was because I wanted to play soccer in college and couldn't do that at PSU but MU had room.  More importantly though, was the "big city" living which meant there was more to do.  The smaller classes sizes and almost one on one profesor access was very appealing.  I never had one class that I didn't feel I couldn't talk to my prof after class or at their office to get more help.  Plus as I was told by someone on my tour Marquette held their own when it came to partying.  Could have gone to Penn State but I realized I just prefered a little bit smaller of a school that wasn't in the middle of nowhere.  Marquette was some of the best experiences of my life.  Highly recommend it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 08:23:46 AM »
I had quite a few cousins who were going there at the time I was starting to look at colleges during sophomore year of high school.  Junior year I went to a basketball game and walked around campus.  Campus was certainly totally diffferent than what I was used to(grew up in an ND family), but I really liked it, and had a gut feeling of comfort and felt like I belonged there.

Marquette also offered the Les Aspin Center for government in DC, and I knew all along that I wanted to major in political science, so it was a natural fit.  Also, Marquette had a lot of study abroad programs as well.

I also wanted a mid-size school that had big-time Division 1 athletics, but not one with 40,000 students and a massive campus.  And, I did like the fact that Marquette's campus, while small, was very well-kept and that I had big-city options for fun in Milwaukee.

Marquette provided me with an outstanding education and allowed me to grow as a person.  I am extremely thankful for the experiences that I had at Marquette and am very proud of my alma mater, and the future is indeed very bright for MU.

Make your own decisions, but you really can't go wrong with a Marquette education.  I don't know if you will find an MU graduate who didn't love Marquette.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »

I chose MU for a few reasons:

#1 I came from a private catholic highschool, so going to a private college seemed like the next step.

#2 The size was right, I looked at Minn. and UW, but both felt like I would have been lost. I wasn't always the most dedicated student, so I was a little nervous about going to such a big school. I actually liked that MU took attendance and that the classes were small. I felt like it would keep me accountable. I'm not a huge partier, but I had a feeling that going to UW would have been a short experience because I probably wouldn't have gone to class.

#3 The campus is the EXACT OPPOSITE of how I grew up. I grew up in a rather rural setting, which l loved, but college (and MU specifically) offered me a chance to go somewhere that was totally different. College is the best time to move because you will automatically get a new peer group when you get there.

#4 I'm really glad that I came to MU because I met some amazing people. MU obviously is full of kids from upper-middle class and upper class familes, but it is also full of a lot of kids from working class families (like me). I also liked that the school really wasn't snotty like some others. Most of the kids were dressed very casually, and not many (if any) kids werre driving around campus in their new cars. Also, Greek life was not very big at all, which I also liked. I never really liked the idea of the whole "greek thing".

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 08:46:39 AM »
My dad grew up in Cali and worked in Philadelphia and had no ties to MU.  He would always say marquette was a good jesuit school and had a nice basketball program.  My dad passed away when I was a HS junior and regardless to say my interest in college waned.   However, in recalling my Dad's advice, I took the plunge to enroll in Marquette after graduating from St Joes Prep in Philly.  It was a culture shock to say the least, but I was very impressed with the kids and teachers willing to give you the extra attention that is missing in large schools.  I almost flunked out my Frosh -Soph years, but started to focus in my Junior and Senior years.

I reflect fondly on my days at MU and probably why I return here every week as we all have this connection.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Cheese_Ed

• Walk-On
  • Sniff my dairy air.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »
If you grew up in Austin (where I live now), you're going to find Milwaukee one helluva cold slap in the face come Nov-Mar (or Oct-Apr).  Then if you come home for summers you be back just in time for 102 degree June-Aug  ;D.

I love the city of Milwaukee and tolerated the weather while I was there.  I grew up in Wis. but soon after graduation I had to migrate South.  I believe that last winter I was there (93-94) it hit -60 with windchill.

The quality of education is certainly high.  The urban setting is a plus for some, a drawback for others.  The cost is going to be much higher than a state school in TX, if that's a concern... plus you have a long commute home.

A tough choice, picking a school.  I had good times, and I'm hooked on MU BBall, but I'm not sure I'd go the same route if I had to do it all over.   ???  I do have other complaints besides the weather, but a lot of comes down to personal preferences, I think.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
I was stationed at Ft. Hood TX for the past 4 years and have to say that the central texas area is really nice.  The party scene at College Station is great (And you know that Austin isn't too far away either...yeah 6th St.) and having a football program adds to the draw of the university. (Woooop! or whatever they say in Aggie land)  With that being said I had a great time in Milwaukee and would do it all the same if I had to make the decision again.  The class size is a big draw because when you're sitting in a Fluid Mechanics or Thermodynamics class not understanding what's going on you can easily talk with the professor during or after class.  Milwaukee is definitely what you make of it and it keeps improving with new business and buildings.  Even though I live in Atlanta now I still look forward to visiting the campus and catching MU games at the BC.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 09:30:42 AM »
What made you want to go to Marquette... its top 2 on my list now and was wondering if one thing made you want to go there?

Two reasons: Cheese and Beer.
We Are Marquette

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »
Ahh yes the sweet smell of yeast...depending on which way the wind was blowing you could get your "pavlovian" senses tingling for beer

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »
Fluid Mechanics.......headache forming.....ahhhh!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
Milwaukee is definitely what you make of it...

I agree with that completely.

I visited a lot of friends at different schools all across the country, and I liked them all.

Some were better than others... but if you are a person who is active and likes to be involved, you will find plenty of people and activites at any school that you go to.

It doesn't matter if you like going out to the bar, or if you are on student government, as long as you are social and get involved, you should have a good/fun social experience.

I would recomend joining a club sport when you get to any campus. Even if you only play for 1 year, you will make some friends who might not live next door to you in your dorm. There nothing wrong with dorm friends, most of my friends were made that way, but joining a club sport (or other club) can help expand your network which is helpful for new students.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
Ahh yes the sweet smell of yeast...depending on which way the wind was blowing you could get your "pavlovian" senses tingling for beer

It's either yeast (mmm... beer...) or the tannery, which is not so pleasant.

Cheese_Ed

• Walk-On
  • Sniff my dairy air.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »

It's either yeast (mmm... beer...) or the tannery, which is not so pleasant.

Back in the day we had a 3rd aroma on some days - the burned chocolate smell of the Ambrosia Choc. Factory.

You know, Jeffrey D's old workplace.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »

I visited a lot of friends at different schools all across the country, and I liked them all.

Some were better than others... but if you are a person who is active and likes to be involved, you will find plenty of people and activites at any school that you go to.

It doesn't matter if you like going out to the bar, or if you are on student government, as long as you are social and get involved, you should have a good/fun social experience.

I would recomend joining a club sport when you get to any campus. Even if you only play for 1 year, you will make some friends who might not live next door to you in your dorm. There nothing wrong with dorm friends, most of my friends were made that way, but joining a club sport (or other club) can help expand your network which is helpful for new students.

Such is life. One of the best things about Marquette was learning that if you were with a good group of people who were your honest friends, you could have fun anywhere, even in the middle of one of Milwaukee's ghettos. Looking back I feel sorry for people who never got to experience what I did at Marquette. These are the same people who now never want to try anything new, only want to go to popular places, and never want to live on the edge a little bit. I've had more fun in dive bars and at house parties than I've ever had at fancy bars or in the trendiest clubs.
We Are Marquette

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 12:39:52 PM »
austin, tx a top 100 high school rated by newsweek

looking at A&M and texas as well, from my brothers experience going out of state would be nice and marquette has made the most since so far because most public schools out of state arent any better than A&M or texas so ive been looking at private

Marquette will be and feel much smaller to those two schools of course.  The positives are always seeing a familiar face, yet new people too.....much more early involvement in your studies, with your professors....t.a.'s aren't teaching your classes.  Basketball unites a lot of kids, even kids who never had much interest in it prior to attending MU.  It creates a nice positive buzz much of the time.  MU is very urban as well....very safe, but urban with nearby access to a major city stuff. 

The size of MU is much more similar to ND that you mentioned.  Atmosphere however is very different.  ND is an isolated campus, South Bend doesn't really cater to ND students and there isn't much to do or see away from the campus and school.  ND is a great school, great campus, high profile athletics and football......but outside of football, there isn't nearly as much to do than at MU or nearby MU.  Weather will be comparable at both schools.  Weather never bothered me much in college.....since yes....college?  No.  You are way too busy to care about weather.  Summers and fall are nice btw....Winter and Spring not so much.

You can hit the ground running with professor access, classes that you want unlike big state schools, internships many extra cirricular choices etc...it's just up to you to take advantage of all of it.  The Jesuit and religious component is there if you want it and isn't overbearing if you don't want it. 

It's a good choice.  It is a radically different choice than UT or A&M.   

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »

Such is life. One of the best things about Marquette was learning that if you were with a good group of people who were your honest friends, you could have fun anywhere, even in the middle of one of Milwaukee's ghettos. Looking back I feel sorry for people who never got to experience what I did at Marquette. These are the same people who now never want to try anything new, only want to go to popular places, and never want to live on the edge a little bit. I've had more fun in dive bars and at house parties than I've ever had at fancy bars or in the trendiest clubs.

Agreed!

I love that MU is kinda slummy off of campus (although getting less slummy).

It creates interaction between all types of people. You have to learn to be comfortable in different types of places, and you better check your "better than some people" attitude at the door if you try to hang with any locals.

We used to order our kegs in spanish because they gave to us cheaper that way. You will experience diversity if you step off of campus... and I think that was a big part of the appeal for me. It was WAY different than my neighborhood growing up.

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:57 PM »
Not one thing, but a combo of many...
- Smaller class sizes means you actually get to know your professors (imagine that!)   :o
- MOST classes are actually taught by profs, not teaching assistants
- Jesuit/Catholic well-rounded education (having to take Theology, Philosophy and Science classes as a BUAD major was cool!)
- Urban campus with plenty to do (Arts, Museums, Major sporting events, malls, restaurants, internships, coops, etc)
- Big city with a small town feel (not the arrogance of Chicago, LA, New York)
- Small campus (10 min walk from one end to the other)
- Advisors who actually "force" you to try and graduate in 4 years
- Big-time college basketball (football didn't bother me too much as I am a Florida State fan)
- Big enough where you don't know everyone but small enough where you know a lot of people
- Highly motivated, but not overly competitive student body (not a lot of backstabbing to get ahead - MU students watch out for each other, for the most part)
- Party/drinking/social scene is on par with or better than ANY other school in the nation   ;D
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »

Agreed!

I love that MU is kinda slummy off of campus (although getting less slummy).

It creates interaction between all types of people. You have to learn to be comfortable in different types of places, and you better check your attitude at the door if you try to hang with any locals.

Hell, we used to order our kegs in spanish because they gave them to us cheaper that way.

You will experience some serious diversity if you step off of campus... and I think that was a big part of the appeal for me. It was WAY different than my neighborhood growing up, and I liked that.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
When picking a school, I came to the conclusion that I wanted an urban environment in a big Midwest city, a major university, and a Catholic school. Marquette fit all of those perfectly, and it "felt right." At this point, I have more reasons to love it.

There is so much to do on campus: Athletics, intramurals, student groups of any type (hobbies, service, religious, issue-based, etc.), speakers/presentations, movies, events. There is ALWAYS something happening.

There are plenty of parties to find.

Lake Michigan is a 15 minute walk.

There is tons of stuff to do off campus: Brewers, Bucks, Admirals, Concerts (The Rave is the #1 concert place in the state, and it's next to campus.), Museums, Parks, Bars, etc.

It's a friendly place in general.

There are students here from all over the country.

Public Safety (the equivalent of Campus Police) exists for the sake of the students. Their concern is making sure you are safe, not cracking down on drunk freshman.

Classes are small, and the professors are happy to help outside of class.

Religion on campus is accessible and actually enjoyable.

It is very easy to get involved. There are many options and opportunities, and everything is very low-pressure. Nothing is "clique-y" at all. It isn't just hard-core people that make up the student groups.

Divison 1 athletics. Awesome.

Hope it helps and hope to see you next year.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 08:05:41 PM »
I liked MU a lot...but Austin, TX??  Are you kidding me?  I would have gone there in a second. In fact, I just told my mom I wished I had gone there.  She laughed and goes "hook 'em." 

MU: Very Cold Weather and No Football.  Texas?  Hot weather, beautiful girls, and incredibe sports.

If you ask me, go to Texas. 
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »
I liked MU a lot...but Austin, TX??  Are you kidding me?  I would have gone there in a second. In fact, I just told my mom I wished I had gone there.  She laughed and goes "hook 'em." 

MU: Very Cold Weather and No Football.  Texas?  Hot weather, beautiful girls, and incredible sports.

If you ask me, go to Texas. 

yea, and be one of 40,000+ other students on campus with no identity.  AWESOME.   ::)

I would assume the original poster of this thread is from Texas considering A&M and UT are on his list.  If what you want is to get lost in a sea of people, enjoy year-round warm weather, watch football and not know who the heck your profs are - by all means, attend UT or A&M.  Great opportunity for you.

If on the other hand you like having 4 distinct seasons, don't really care about attending live college football games (I would argue that most MU students have some favorite team that they watch with passion on Saturdays), like knowing who your professors are and want to attend college in a great metropolitan area with the opportunity for internships, professional sporting events and GREAT restaurants, then choose Marquette.

My only advice would be make sure you visit all three campuses and talk with the students.  You'll know after your visits what school "feels" right.  For your sake, I hope that school is Marquette.  If not, enjoy school in Texas.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

thelost

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 10:16:39 PM »
yea, and be one of 40,000+ other students on campus with no identity

that is one of my biggest problems of texas and A&M and why i want to go to a smaller school, but baylor just isnt me and i could get into tech without attending another day of school

Marquette just felt right when my father and i visted back in the fall. we have A&M football tickets (dad went to A&M mom texas bro ND) and nothing compares to an A&M game, but then the basketball team took off this year and watching them was fun so im sure basketball at marquette would satisfy my sports needs. i like the urban setting since ive grown up in austin (something A&M doesnt really have) and i would like a change of scenery, plus a majority of my friends will go to A&M and texas and i wouldnt mind starting over. I still have time and just wanted to see what others thought of  Marquette. Thanks! Maybe one day ill see some of yall around

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 11:42:16 PM »
yea, and be one of 40,000+ other students on campus with no identity

that is one of my biggest problems of texas and A&M and why i want to go to a smaller school, but baylor just isnt me and i could get into tech without attending another day of school

Marquette just felt right when my father and i visted back in the fall. we have A&M football tickets (dad went to A&M mom texas bro ND) and nothing compares to an A&M game, but then the basketball team took off this year and watching them was fun so im sure basketball at marquette would satisfy my sports needs. i like the urban setting since ive grown up in austin (something A&M doesnt really have) and i would like a change of scenery, plus a majority of my friends will go to A&M and texas and i wouldnt mind starting over. I still have time and just wanted to see what others thought of  Marquette. Thanks! Maybe one day ill see some of yall around

Just an FYI kid...U of Wisconsin is 80 miles West of Milwaukee and a good spot for a Saturday weekend football game and 50,000 person school fix, Austin like college town that time in the fall when you get the college football itch.  ND is also as you are likely aware...is approx 3 hour trip from Milwaukee. 

thelost

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 11:50:46 PM »
do many people go to wisconson games or nd games? i had wondered about that considering i could easily meet my brother to watch a nd game some weekend

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »
do many people go to wisconson games or nd games? i had wondered about that considering i could easily meet my brother to watch a nd game some weekend

It's not the same as having it be "your" school, not close.  However....Madison for a weekend or overnight jaunt is a lot of fun.  It was voted #1 party school in the country by playboy.....and happens to be a strong academic school similar to UT. 

More kids will know people at Madison and drive their for a weekend or game.  Halloween is big there.  Less would be heading to Notre Dame.  Chicago, a 1-1.5 hr drive South, and home of many MU kids, is considered the "home" market for Notre Dame and it is covered well there. 

MU has a lot of students who grew up with people who attend Wisconsin.....etc...so it would be more common there.  They are one of the best places in the Big 10 to see a game. 

At MU hoops is everything......more than half of the undergrad student body has season tix....4100 plus....you will not find that anywhere else.  So as you say ...you get your sports fix......

Milwaukee itself is a pro sports town....Packers, Bucks, Brewers.  Marquette has a prominent place in Milwaukee.  You will not have a shortage for sports or athletic opportunities. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 09:10:14 AM »
I'm not a big college football guy, but that is probably a product of MU not having football... BUT, it was always kind of fun to not have a specific team to follow in college football because I could just enjoy the games and not be obsessive like so many of us are about hoops.

I just watch football casually and root for the underdog and just enjoy the games... hoops is a different story as we all live and die with MU hoops and everything that effects MU (preseason rankings, conf. RPI, holiday tourneys, scheduling, recruiting, etc. etc.).

Austin is a great town though, so I think you have some good options and I don't think either is "wrong choice"... just different. I know I could have gone to a lot of different schools and had a great experience... it just so happens that I chose MU.... and I'm glad I did.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »
thelost:

Here's a perspective from a Milwaukee native, Marquette double grad, and father of four.  Two of my kids are out of college, one in, and one going through what you are going through--looking at options. 

Come to Marquette.  Staying in Texas would be easy and comfortable for you, and you'd be successful I'm certain, but here is an opportunity that doesn't come around in life very often:  an opportunity to see and be in a different part of the world, outside of your current environment or culture, or whatever you want to call it, and you won't regret it.  Not one of the young men and women that my children know who have gone to Marquette have regretted it.  Not one.  Many have transferred TO Marquette from places like De Paul, Creighton, St. Louis, etc. 

You will get a solid education, a world outlook that emphasizes service to others (that's the Jesuit part), and you will help diversify the student body.  That is a plus, in my opinion, since there won't be many kids from Texas on campus--most of the students are from Wisconsin/Illinois/Michigan.  That works to your advantage. 

None of my kids went to Marquette, although the last one is considering it.  And despite my love for the place (all my siblings attended, three of us with two degrees and my brother is a full professor at MU) I'm glad that my kids got the heck out of smallwaukee and their comfort level.

Plus, you will learn to hate ND, even if your brother attends.  Good Luck. 

Ludum habemus.

rocky2298

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 11:51:39 AM »
Because the fishing is world class on Lake Michigan :P