[Today at 09:49:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I am not often jealous of UWM fans, but...  (Read 5518 times)

MUEng92

• All American
I am not often jealous of UWM fans, but...
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=4/12/2007&id=21953

There fans will actually be able to hear their games on the radio when they are 10-40 miles from campus.  Novel idea!

When is that super jump in power going to happen at 1290 again?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Couldn't agree more
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »
I know Nelligan gets paid the big bucks to make these strategic decisions, but I'll never understand this deal in it's current state. 

I spoke to another former Exec. Producer of MU Radio Network and the two of us still don't get it.  We're obviously missing something and since we no longer are involved that is not surprising.  The landscape has changed and we are clearly armchair QB'ing this decision from 1000's of miles away.  That being said, we didn't get it then and we don't get it now.  I've heard the "upside" arguments but have yet to see any of them bear fruit.  The coverage is spotty or regressed in parts of the state, it's no longer on a signature station of such importance.

Someone please explain why this deal was done and why it made financial and/or branding sense?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: I am not often jealous of UWM fans, but...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:54:57 PM »
the one thing don't get that we do is more play on the radio 24-7. By being tied to a sports network, MU does get a lot of marketing coverage with 1510/1290. Infact, Good Karma does a fantastic job of merchandising (they are one my companies favorite station groups to work with) their marketing partners. Plus, at night, 1130 doesn't get that far outside of MKE country.
But I like to throw handfuls...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:35:32 PM »
I kid you not, there were games this year after which I could not hear the postgame show at all. Nothing.

I think this goes back to the other thread concerning ESPN. I think Nelligan probably thought the ESPN "brand" was worth something. In reality, when the station has zero power, it's worth nothing. I wish we had never left WISN.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:58:17 PM »
I kid you not, there were games this year after which I could not hear the postgame show at all. Nothing.

I think this goes back to the other thread concerning ESPN. I think Nelligan probably thought the ESPN "brand" was worth something. In reality, when the station has zero power, it's worth nothing. I wish we had never left WISN.

Considering your feelings for our coach you should have been happy with the first part.

As for the second part, I think you are spot on. The Big East loves to be hooked up with ESPN and this deal gave one of its prominent basketball members a wife in its local ESPN station.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
Considering your feelings for our coach you should have been happy with the first part.

You're right about that, but I like to see if the guy bothers to show up at all or if he thinks nothing of leaving Homer and Mac hanging.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:33:50 PM »
Why would anyone be jealous of UWM. That is ridiculous. So they have radio station like but Marquette's deal is worth more and can be heard by more people.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 06:49:12 PM »
it's a case of sloppy seconds to me...

plus...uwm is no longer receiving bo ryan or bruce pearl recruits...which means...they're not receiving recruits...looks like a desperate deal on the part of WISN.
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »
Actually, UWM does have some nice guys coming in with transfer torre Johnson as well as Kevin Johnson and tim flowers from the two-time Illinois state champs as well as a couple others.  By the year after next, the Panthers will be a very good mid-major team.  By the way, I'm obviously an MU guy, so I'm calling 'em the the way i see 'em.  some of you posters have no clue!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:51 PM »
I would love to know how much UW-Milwaukee had to pay WISN to get on the air.  I would be very surprised if WISN put them for free or put them on with a revenue share, that would be silly on their part. 

Most likely they sold the time to UW-Milwaukee along with the ad inventory so that UW-Milwaukee will now try to recoup the costs (maybe turn a profit like the MU radio network) by selling the ad time.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »

You're right about that, but I like to see if the guy bothers to show up at all or if he thinks nothing of leaving Homer and Mac hanging.

This kind of reminds me of people who listen to Stern, Imus, Rush, Al Frankin, Belling or any other controversial or extreme political host.

1/2 are listening because they like what they hear, the other 1/2 are listening because they hate it so much that they can't turn it off.

You dislike him SO much that you get off when you feel like he makes a mistake, whether it be game coaching, practice coaching, recruiting, radio shows, public speaking, book signing, Hummer driving, etc.

Man, I really wonder what that guy did to you... he drives you so crazy that you HAVE to watch/listen just to see if he does more stuff you don't like.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:12:18 PM by 2002mualum »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »
Why would anyone be jealous of UWM. That is ridiculous. So they have radio station like but Marquette's deal is worth more and can be heard by more people.

Super, MU is making more money, while I am only able to hear every 6th word Homer says during a nighttime game broadcast.

Unless we are somehow talking about getting thousands of MU fans to all take up residence within 6 blocks of the 1510/1290 studios, I don't understand how there would be more listeners to MU games.  Granted I am focusing on being able to just turn on any radio at home to listen to the game vs. having to go down to my basement to listen to the game over the internet.  If we are strictly talking about radio coverage in the HOME FREAKING MARKET, there really is no discussion.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 11:31:25 PM »
MUENG...exactly.  I know the supposed tie in with other sports content on that station and the wonderful marketing "synergies", but if no one can hear you it doesn't make a bit of difference.

It's like having 5 great marketers in a room flowing with ideas but they have a $10 budget and can't get the message out.  Doesn't do a bit of good.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 12:42:28 AM »
It is a little ridiculous that I can listen to the Cubs games (AM 720), Sox games (AM 1000) and Bears games (AM 780) ALL Chicago based stations from my apartment/car in Milwuakee but when I try to put on a Marquette game I get static. We should just convince a Chicago station to take us on... we'd get better coverage that way haha

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 07:24:50 AM »
And actually, Spartan, I used to be able to pick up MU games in Chicago on 1130.

Incidentally, DePaul's radio situation isn't much better. They were on The Score what seemed like every other game (no consistency) and their color guy, former DePaul great Dave Corzine, had some kind of throat problem this year and listening to him was very difficult.

Believe it or not, I think Northwestern might have the best radio deal among teams in Chicago. I hear them on WGN all the time, however I believe it's tied into their football telecasts.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 07:54:44 AM »
UWM being on WISN ...remids me of the old saying....If a tree falls in the woods....

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »
The funny thing is, I got 1510 as far west as Eau Claire a couple of weeks ago, but obviously most of the games are on 1290.

I don't think it was a terrible move by MU to switch stations, but I hope/assume 1510 will become a 24hr station soon (maybe by this season?)

The marketing, coverage and promotion they receive is 1000 times better than WISN... just need to get the signal ironed out and this could be a very good long term partnership.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »
I do wonder .. when this was announced last fall, there was commentary about 1510/1290 that said they had a FCC permit to boost their signal .. were working out the details .. getting a second hampster to power the antenna.  Something like that.  I wonder where they are with that story.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »

How many times has he not shown up? For a guy who's pegged as being so PR-concerned I'm surprised he'd let his emotions get the better of him and not be in PR mode to do the post game. Seems to me no matter what the outcome of the game -- no matter how high or how low -- he'd show up because all he cares about is his public image, right?