[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Anyone else getting real, REAL tired of NFL Live dominating ESPN?  (Read 7827 times)

🏀

• All American
I don't care to hear Trey Wingo talk about the schedules. I'm tired of hearing what the Jaguars or whatever team need to make themselves better.

It's baseball season, let's hear some of it. Let's put a freaking game on!

muarmy81

• All American
Re: OT: Anyone else getting real, REAL tired of NFL Live dominating ESPN?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
What about "the Houston texans are on the clock"!!  Did anyone else think that "being on the clock" a month before the draft was a little ridiculous?  How many times between now and then are teams going to change their minds on who they'll draft?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:54:30 PM »
It's not just the NFL coverage, although that's bad enough. It's ESPN in general! Everything in sports now revolves around ESPN. Who cares?

Would anybody in their right mind EVER go to ESPN Zone for dinner? Their magazine absolutely sucks. The entire phenomenon is ridiculous.

ESPN's sensationalism has now extended to the once-great Sports Illustrated. This is now a magazine that claimed after Katrina sports "would never be the same." And now it's got global warming (!) on the cover?!?! Are you kidding?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »
Agreed Rico. The magazine used to be quality too. They were on the right track with the different size, great space of great pictures.

Not to disrespect Jackie Robinson, but how many times do we have to see that Stu Scott(Loathed by MarqPTM) narrated spot every commerical break?

It's a shame no sports channel will go up against them. Comcast/Fox Sports just can't cut the cheese next to them.

I really wish CNN/SI would have made it.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:38:41 PM »
I can't stand their website either.  If you want to read anything you've got to be an "insider".  With regards to their baseball coverage...they're starting to get better but I for one can stand to not watch another yankees or red sox game.  It seems like everytime they have a game it's either one of those teams playing somebody else and if they're playing each other...Look out it's a primetime affair!  I know there's a ton of yankee fans and a ton of Red Sox fans but for the rest of the sporting world not living on the east coast we'd like to see some other teams.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »
they will show every Dice-K game, thats for sure.  I too, am sick of the constant NFL coverage, they wonder why NFL and football is the biggest sport in America, thats because we get it shoved in our face 24/7 we have no other choice.  Champions League is in their knockout rounds now, and they hardly show that, I guess ESPN figures showing the game is good enough.  And although I am an avid PTI/ATH watcher, I am sick of the same stories on there over and over, yes Barry Bonds is a dick, and yes he will break the record, go onto something new.  Yes NBA teams are tanking games, and yes besides Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio and Detroit no one else has a shot of winning it, move on to something new.  It is gross how much they can talk about the same subjects without being yelled at by ESPN.  Im amazed I don't know how much Dice K weighed when born, if its not the Yankees or the Red Sox, its not worth it for ESPN when it comes to baseball. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »
Actually, Mr. Mayor -- ESPN has shown clips of DiceK in what looked like high school. They are going on and on about him and...oh by the way... Seattle's Rodriquez has a FREAKING NO-HITTER GOING!!!

It's unbelievable. ESPN is a joke

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
ESPN is the 800lb Gorilla.  With no one there to challenge them, they set the pace and the agenda.  It won't change unless viewers leave and that's not happening.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:56:31 PM »
I can honestly say I haven't watched much of anything other than a game on the 4-letter network in a long time. An occasional snippet of ESPN News is about it for me, other than games.
GO WARRIORS!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »
King Felix should snub ESPN for the rest of his life.

At one point, one of the announcers said that Felix is taking nothing away from Dice-K as he has been as impressive under the stressful conditions of playing his first game at Fenway.

I also enjoyed Orel hating the gyroball term, and instead calling it a fork-screw, change-screw, fast-screw, and many others all in one night.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:07:42 PM »
ESPN sucks. The only reason people watch it is of necessity to catch college or NFL games. Sadly, though, I wish the NHL were on there because then people could find the games instead of on channel 3482. Gary Bettman for ya.

I soooo wish CNN/SI made it. I think if they came out today, they would. Any network that has a blowhard like Sean Salsbury on blows. Plus, they are friggin' hypocrites for getting rid of Reynolds on Baseball Tonight for 'inappropriate contact' (a hug) of a former intern; but when Salsbury sends photos of his junk via cell phone to numerous women at the HQ and quietly disappears for a month and is welcomed back...I'm sorry, that's garbage.

From a college hoops and sports in general standpoint, they are a necessary evil and you have to try and tolerate them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:22 AM »
ESPN sucks. The only reason people watch it is of necessity to catch college or NFL games. Sadly, though, I wish the NHL were on there because then people could find the games instead of on channel 3482. Gary Bettman for ya.

I soooo wish CNN/SI made it. I think if they came out today, they would. Any network that has a blowhard like Sean Salsbury on blows. Plus, they are friggin' hypocrites for getting rid of Reynolds on Baseball Tonight for 'inappropriate contact' (a hug) of a former intern; but when Salsbury sends photos of his junk via cell phone to numerous women at the HQ and quietly disappears for a month and is welcomed back...I'm sorry, that's garbage.

From a college hoops and sports in general standpoint, they are a necessary evil and you have to try and tolerate them.

Niv...you mean this

http://www.joesportsfan.com/jsfpics/columns/salisburypump.jpg

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 07:47:53 AM »
Solid work Chico!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:10:58 AM »
Gald to see so many share the feelings I have had for years...outside of a college or NFL game, I find ESPN virtually unwatchable. How guys like Chris Berman and Stuart Scott have jobs is completely beyond me. Even as it relates to the above mentioned games, more often than not I find myself searching my remote control for the mute button.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
I guess a lot of you guys hate ESPN. Obviously though you all like it during basketball  season. If it were not for ESPN the opening rounds of the tournament would not be televised. If it were not for ESPN the only baseball that we woudl get every week is the game of the week on Fox. Now when it comes to Yankees Red Sox I guess that means I am more of an east coast guy because i love that series, then again one of side of my family is from Boston and the other the Bronx. I am a huge football fan and a draft junkie so that all appeals to me. If you gusy want to complain about ESPN and about getting another viable option then why don't' you watch VErsus as much as possible until they get their ratings high enough to buy sports other then the NHL and Mountain West Sports. AS long as I get my college football 5 nights a week I am okay.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
It's baseball season, let's hear some of it. Let's put a freaking game on!

There is plenty of it -- including an hour long show leading up to sportscenter named -- err -- Baseball Tonight.  Even after that, sportcenter is dominated by baseball highlights.  Frankly, I wish they'd push baseball to the back of sportcenter when baseball tonight precedes the show -- i just saw that stuff.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »
Two-Thirds of ESPN's audience is on East Coast time.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »
I guess a lot of you guys hate ESPN. Obviously though you all like it during basketball  season. If it were not for ESPN the opening rounds of the tournament would not be televised. If it were not for ESPN the only baseball that we woudl get every week is the game of the week on Fox. Now when it comes to Yankees Red Sox I guess that means I am more of an east coast guy because i love that series, then again one of side of my family is from Boston and the other the Bronx. I am a huge football fan and a draft junkie so that all appeals to me. If you gusy want to complain about ESPN and about getting another viable option then why don't' you watch VErsus as much as possible until they get their ratings high enough to buy sports other then the NHL and Mountain West Sports. AS long as I get my college football 5 nights a week I am okay.

don't get me wrong, I am a sports junkie, and I do watch ESPN a lot.  But I have a hard time enjoying PTI and ATH when they just banter about the same subjects over and over, and their arguments could be made by 1st graders.  I love the NFL draft, and if they would have started coverage now instead of 2 months ago, I would love it, but holy cow, it gets rammed down your throat, THE ST. LOUIS RAMS ARE ON THE CLOCK!, enough already.  Enough Dice-K, he is 1-1 with a 2.57 ERA, thats good, but Ive had enough of it.  I understand that the Sox vs Yankees are the main rivalry, but they could show a different series, why not show possibly a Brewers v Cubs game, or a Mets v Braves, or other rivalries, there are plenty of them.  I might as well get ready for the Bonds tracker in a couple of months, let me scream now, I HATE BARRY BONDS!
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »
There are plently of channels to catch baseball. TBS, WGN, FOX, and your local Comcast/Fox Sports affilate. However, I would like to see other teams out of my market.

The NFL draft is over two weeks away. They started their NFL crap a couple weeks ago. It's too much.

I personally am not a fan of ESPN during basketball season. I'd rather see games on CBS and ABC than ESPN.

I would love to see a weekly program about the farm leagues. It could be done real nice, and don't worry the precious SOX and YANKS can get even more coverage.

CNN/SI was great.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 06:32:23 PM »

I personally am not a fan of ESPN during basketball season. I'd rather see games on CBS and ABC than ESPN.

In case you didn't know ABC SPORTS is ESPN now. They have plenty of different football games on. They have a different team every weekend on the Sunday night game. Sure they care about those rivalries but they are catering to the casual sports fan. Most of the people on these boards seems to be more then Stu the casual fans. If I had the money I would have the extra innings package and that is what MLB wants. So ESPN doesn't' get the pick of the litter of games anymore. ESPN is also trying to compete with the NFL network in terms of coverage. Like I said before I could talk college and pro football for months Adan draft time is the only time of year when you are doing both at the same time. Yes,  I have ESPN insider, and I am a complete junkie when it comes to this stuff. IN fact I don't think ESPN's cavalcade of info is enough for me. Which is why I look for these boards. Hell I even watch the MLS. ESPN has changed since I remember it. There is too much human interest and not enough stats and analysis. I miss the old half hour Sportscenters where all it was was stats and scores. But if you want that now you can tune into FOX for the final score.

R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »
Yes, of course, ESPN owns ABC Sports. Or is it the other way around? Either way making that statement does nothing for your post.

I don't know where you read and think I care about football or the teams that are on.

It's mid-afternoon the sport of the spring and summer is baseball. And there happens to be 3-4 games on during the mid-afternoon that would lead into Rome, ATH, and PTI very nicely.

Instead, I am stuck watching NFL draft coverage a month before the draft. Mel Kiper can stick it up his    .

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:18 AM »
ESPN is full of themselves, and I would love to see them get back more into reporting and broadcasting sports, not making themselves the story. It would be nice if they had solid competition, but that is a long way away because they have built themselves into a complete sports brand. ATH is just bad (although better with the current host than the original), PTI is usually good, and as for Sportscenter, I watch it while doing other things so I can ignore the boring crap.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 10:24:31 AM »
It's mid-afternoon ... I am stuck watching NFL draft coverage

Sounds like you need a summer job, takes care of that ESPN problem right away  ;D

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 01:56:04 PM »

The NFL draft is over two weeks away. They started their NFL crap a couple weeks ago. It's too much.

They started NFL draft coverage the day after the Superbowl.   Everyday since the Superbowl ESPN has bombarded us with NFL Live twice a day.    There's no need for that.    Minus the few days leading up to the draft, I really wish football would get out of my life until August.   The amount of attention it gets during the season is nauseating.    They're going beyond beating a dead horse. 

feedback