collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.  (Read 23250 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: MU Lacrosse Recruit loses scholly over racist Instagram post.
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
Or hasn't seen enough fads come and go.   It is great for high school girls, but a waste of time for adults.
My father-in-law admits that way back in the day he said color TV was a fad. I'd put this prognostication on par with that one.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
My father-in-law admits that way back in the day he said color TV was a fad. I'd put this prognostication on par with that one.

You can find all sorts of articles calling the internet a fad back in the 90s. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 03:19:58 PM »
The source for a lot of my information is, "The Defense News Early Bird Brief".
It is a news complier.  It gives a wide prospective of what is going on.  To be a few weeks ahead of the news, I also recommend the Christian Science Monitor.

Appreciate your recommendations. Did I make it seem like I was questioning your sources for information though? I apologize if that's the case I only questioned your belief of social media being a fad and the belief that teens will always fall in line because there's strong adults.
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
Appreciate your recommendations. Did I make it seem like I was questioning your sources for information though? I apologize if that's the case I only questioned your belief of social media being a fad and the belief that teens will always fall in line because there's strong adults.

Thanks for the opportunity to share the Defense Daily Brief, formerly The Early Bird.  It is shocking how little we know, while frequently holding so many beliefs.  Never have a problem responding to a sincere question about sources.   

Teens mostly talk with teens.  Why adults spend so much time on social media seems strange to me.  I don't have enough time to keep up with real media, and I'm retired. 

While I write I listen to Julie Mason, Press Pool on SERIUS radio.  I'm not a luddite, but I'm not impressed with change for the sake of change.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:47:00 PM by vogue65 »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »
No loss. Talk about stoopid!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

As Wags says, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how people consume and share information these days.  I mean, how do you think people push out breaking news these days?  Email?  TV?  Smoke signals?

No, it almost always goes out via Twitter.  And Facebook.  And Instagram.  And it quickly is shared and talked about long before it gets up onto a website or onto traditional media like television.  And hours before it goes out in print anywhere.

Saying that it's a fad, or best left for teenage girls, is a woefully ignorant statement.

It may be "woefully ignorant", but is it true?

Please give me a reason why I should spend my time searching amature news, propagandists, and foreign misinformation shops? 

Yesterday I watched hours of junk videos.  Dark images, swish pans, sky, smoke, flash bangs, crowds, horses, and repeated video of teenagers stealing footware.  Most of that was by "professional" media. 

I'm not saying that amature news isn't a large phenomenon,  I'm just saying that most of it is a waste of time.  When people realize that, it will fade away.  That makes it a fad by definition.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »

Please give me a reason why I should spend my time searching amature news, propagandists, and foreign misinformation shops? 

Yesterday I watched hours of junk videos.  Dark images, swish pans, sky, smoke, flash bangs, crowds, horses, and repeated video of teenagers stealing footware.  Most of that was by "professional" media. 

I'm not saying that amature news isn't a large phenomenon,  I'm just saying that most of it is a waste of time.  When people realize that, it will fade away.  That makes it a fad by definition.

Again I deleted all social media but I will say it's great for finding local businesses/events in your area and staying connected to them. Beyond that it's worthless but worthless and addicting are different than a fad.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2020, 04:05:32 PM »

You can do what you want to do.  I really don't care.  (Maybe learning how to spell "amateur" would be a place to start.)

But what you are saying about social media is the same thing people were saying about the internet in the mid-90s.  It didn't go away.  Neither will social media.  It may evolve into something similar, and the specific vehicles may change, but it's here to stay.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 04:11:39 PM »
First the plane crashes and social media has visuals.
Then the rumors about the casualty count, weather, probable cause, blah, blah, blah.

Then the legitimate journalist's do their thing.
Then automation recreation of the accident.
Then a story about the pilot's experience and plane maintenance etc..
Then the black box story from legitimate news.
Then nothing for a long time.
Then the story about the legal suits.
Then nothing for a year.
Then in a few industry media the official TSB report.

So explain the importance of the "social media"?
Don't waste my time.  That sounds a little personal, sorry.  Social media is first on the scene, but that is not that important. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:13:47 PM by vogue65 »

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »
Then the rumors about the casualty count, weather, probable cause, blah, blah, blah.

Then nothing for a year.

Don't waste my time.  That sounds a little personal, sorry.  Social media is first on the scene, but that is not that important. 

Wags talked about it above.  I'm not going to waste your time.  If you don't want to consume it...don't.  Others do and it's not going away.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »
Don't waste my time.

You've posted 30+ times since Saturday and 10 times in the last 8 hours, often repeating yourself over and over again, so it would appear you have a lot of time to waste.  8-)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »

You can do what you want to do.  I really don't care.  (Maybe learning how to spell "amateur" would be a place to start.)

But what you are saying about social media is the same thing people were saying about the internet in the mid-90s.  It didn't go away.  Neither will social media.  It may evolve into something similar, and the specific vehicles may change, but it's here to stay.

You sound like a lawyer.  Find a mistake, a date, a lack of a signature, and avoid the point.  Thank God I don't have to work with them these days.

The internet is functioning very, very well with the research surrounding Covid19.  It was developed for scientists to communicate world wide (world wide web, www).  Also for defense.

Now, because of all the platforms, we have peole using it for nonsense.  Hay, spend your life, your time as you wish, "I really don't care" either.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2020, 04:27:24 PM »

Wags talked about it above.  I'm not going to waste your time.  If you don't want to consume it...don't.  Others do and it's not going away.

Who said it's going away?  Not unlike click bate, someone is doing it.  Professional wrestling is not going away.  There is a lot of entertainment that is not going away.  There I go again being condescending.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »

Then nothing for a year.

As a consumer,  I would watch the visuals on social media. I probably wouldn't follow the story after that. So what was the importance of "traditional media"?

If it was a story I was more invested in, I probably would follow the coverage via traditional media. But those stories a very few compared to the stories that I might be interested enough to hear about but not follow. I think that mindset applies to most people in my generation and the younger generations, as well as many in the older generations.

Also, news isn't the only value that social media brings. As Galway pointed out, its great for advertising businesses. I have literally never read a review of a restaurant in the newspaper and I can't think of a time where a television or radio ad actually convinced me to go to a specific restaurant. But anytime I'm thinking about going to a new restaurant, or if I'm looking for a place to eat in a new city, I look at the reviews posted on the restaurant's social media accounts.

If "being a waste of time" makes something a fad then I can think of a lot fads that have withstood the test of time. Watching sports, video games, television, reading for fun, music, hiking, drinking socially....list goes on and on
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »
Who said it's going away?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fad?s=t

fad[ fad ]
noun
1. a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

If you believe social media is waste of time, bad for humanity, etc, I don't think anyone would argue with you. I think what people are reacting to is your use of the word fad. By definition, a fad is something temporary that fades away after a short time. I think most people believe that social media is here to stay for the long haul
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:33:50 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »
You've posted 30+ times since Saturday and 10 times in the last 8 hours, often repeating yourself over and over again, so it would appear you have a lot of time to waste.  8-)

Glad to see you are keeping track.  Are you OCD?  Or is that just another form of intimidation?
Are you the monitor?
I'm not qualified?

I am guilty of a lot of things, but repeating myself is not one of them.

My defect is my creativity, hard to fit into corporate Ametica.  As a retired person I can be myself.  Don't smoke or drink, keep your numbers under control, and someday enjoy your retirement.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »
Who said it's going away?

Uhh....you did.

When people realize that, it will fade away.  That makes it a fad by definition.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2020, 04:46:41 PM »
Who said it's going away?  Not unlike click bate, someone is doing it.  Professional wrestling is not going away.  There is a lot of entertainment that is not going away.  There I go again being condescending.

Have you ever met muguru?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »

Uhh....you did.

Oh boy, you got me, shoot me.

There are fads and there are fads.  Going away vs. slowly going away, vs. completly going away, vs. growing, found useful, contributing to society.

Look at architectural fads, they come and go and we still mostly live in houses.

Cathederal ceilings, island kitchens, sunken living rooms, pools, vinyl siding all fads.  Central air, generators, ice in the door, bells and whistles.  How about glass block, one of my favorites.

Social media vs. real media by real journalists.  Somehow we got off into the internet vs. social media. 

How many posts is that?  Sarcasm, another failing.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2020, 04:52:48 PM »
Have you ever met muguru?

No, most of my M.U. friends have passed.  My freshmen and senior roommates, my girl friend, 3 years, my best friend, all passed.

Muguru is a familiar name, to be honest I have never met any of you guys.  The mid 60's seems like a long time ago.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fad?s=t

fad[ fad ]
noun
1. a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

If you believe social media is waste of time, bad for humanity, etc, I don't think anyone would argue with you. I think what people are reacting to is your use of the word fad. By definition, a fad is something temporary that fades away after a short time. I think most people believe that social media is here to stay for the long haul

Thank you.

What word do you suggest?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »
Oh boy, you got me, shoot me.

There are fads and there are fads.  Going away vs. slowly going away, vs. completly going away, vs. growing, found useful, contributing to society.

Look at architectural fads, they come and go and we still mostly live in houses.

Cathederal ceilings, island kitchens, sunken living rooms, pools, vinyl siding all fads.  Central air, generators, ice in the door, bells and whistles.  How about glass block, one of my favorites.

Social media vs. real media by real journalists.  Somehow we got off into the internet vs. social media. 

How many posts is that?  Sarcasm, another failing.

Pretty sure central air is here to stay, kin.   ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »
Um....in before the lock.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2020, 08:22:48 PM »

everyone knows that locks are a fad...duh, eyn'a? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »

Locking threads is such a pre-covid fad....