[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Signs Football Has Peaked In Popularity  (Read 23040 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
More Signs Football Has Peaked In Popularity
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
NFL Kickoff Scores 21.8M Viewers, Down Double-Digits From 2016 – Update
http://deadline.com/2017/09/patriots-chiefs-nfl-kickoff-game-ratings-down-nbc-1202163914/

NFL’s opening night was a TV ratings disaster
http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/nfls-opening-night-was-a-tv-ratings-disaster/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cmo-today-empty-department-stores-as-marketing-irma-hits-florida-and-nfl-ratings-publishers-weigh-privacy-regulations-1505132289
NFL’s kickoff game Thursday night, with 21.8 million people watching the Kansas City Chiefs beat defending Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots, compared with 25.2 million for last year’s NFL kickoff game. Some suggest those stats imply viewer appetites for football could be waning, but others say Hurricane Irma could explain the dip, as people opted to keep up-to-date with the catastrophic storm as it hurtled toward Florida, CNN reports. Here’s a piece of interesting context, though. ESPN said ratings for Thursday night’s U.S. Open women’s semifinal were up 33% compared with 2016, suggesting the weather didn’t negatively impact viewership of that match too much.

The Uncertain Future of High School Football in America
The country wrestles with how to keep Friday Night Lights alive
https://www.wsj.com/graphics/high-school-football-uncertain-future/?mod=e2tw

The Colin Kaepernick Effect: CBS Study Says Protests Were Factor in NFL Ratings Decline
https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/08/31/colin-kaepernick-nfl-ratings-cbs-study-sean-mcmanus
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:58:34 AM by 1.21 Jigawatts »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: More Signs Football Has Peaked In Popularity
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
Interesting topic. Maybe we should discuss this ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:42:22 PM »
Good
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
Likewise, I see no reason to discuss this topic.  It would be like starting a thread to discuss that the sun is hot, or that urinals are not good places to eat lunch, or that Bill Cosby is a sex offender... sure, you might find some people to debate with you, but do you really want to argue with a moron (or someone who doesn't mind a little piss with their fruit cup)?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »
'Tough start' for NFL season — ratings down 13% in Week 1
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tough-start-nfl-season-ratings-13-week-1-145729365.html

Nielsen had to delay its release of the television ratings for Week 1 of the new NFL season due to Hurricane Irma. Now the Week 1 ratings are out—and they aren’t good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
Good
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
C'mon, death spiral.     Without Kaepernick, who will the NFL scapegoat for bad ratings?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
C'mon, death spiral.     Without Kaepernick, who will the NFL scapegoat for bad ratings?

Michael Bennett is killing the NFL ;D

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »

From the link above ... Hurricanes and Stephen King!

It’s worth noting that on the same NFL opening weekend, the Stephen King clown movie “It” was smashing box office records, which may call into question the notion that the NFL ratings dip is strictly due to people being glued to cable hurricane coverage.

The NFL is the clown movie.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/13/the-nfl-is-seriously-concerned-with-empty-stadiums/

Second half kick-off of last week's 49er game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
Awesome.  It being San Francisco, I wonder how many are staying away because of how Kaepernick is being treated.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:30:46 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 08:54:53 AM »
I saw some follow up tweets saying the reason that was so empty was due to it being directly in the sun (poor design of the stadium it sounds like) and coming back from halftime. I think it was overstated.

However, the TV ratings are interesting. I'm curious to see if it's a trend. The primetime games have been mostly snoozefests so far.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
I think it's safe to say that NFL is post peak. It's still enormous and may bounce back or level off though.

MLB slipped a generation ago and it's fine. NFL might just be going through the same generational shift.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
I think it's safe to say that NFL is post peak. It's still enormous and may bounce back or level off though.

Agreed, and it'll be interesting to see where it is in 15-20 years. Seems like a lot of parents are keeping their kids out of it. It'll take time to see a big shift, but as fewer kids grow up in the sport, I imagine the popularity will wane somewhat.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
I went to a high school game last night.  Catholic high school, daughter's former school, son's future high school.  Defending state champs, 16-1 over the last two years.  Less than a thousand fans at the game, both teams combined.  The band had more players than either team.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »
I went to a high school game last night.  Catholic high school, daughter's former school, son's future high school.  Defending state champs, 16-1 over the last two years.  Less than a thousand fans at the game, both teams combined.  The band had more players than either team.

yeah, but did they stand, raise their fists, or kneel for the national anthem??
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »
A couple of kids on the bench of the Catholic  high school took a knee during the anthem.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
BTW, crowds at both LA games are apparently terrible today.  But USC had a huge crowd in LA just last night.  And there were big crowds at a lot of the college games yesterday.

So is this a "football" thing?  Or an "NFL" thing?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »
A couple of kids on the bench of the Catholic  high school took a knee during the anthem.

Dang them prayers

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »
The San Francisco photo may be a bit misleading. In Chicago, we have been Bears season ticket holders for 22 years. That's not uncommon here either as the fans either are buying food, going to the bathroom or mistimed their return.

Also, the 49ers and Rams, along with the Bears, Browns and Jets have the five worst teams in the NFL right now. The McCaskeys had an enormous number of empty seats last year in the last three home games. Given where things are going, this year should be no different.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
BTW, crowds at both LA games are apparently terrible today.  But USC had a huge crowd in LA just last night.  And there were big crowds at a lot of the college games yesterday.

So is this a "football" thing?  Or an "NFL" thing?
I think it is an NFL thing.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »

I think you are correct.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

LA just keeps on trying to drive the square peg thru the round hole.  Hopefully someone is still paying the bills for San Diego county credit union stadium.  The aztecs now play there and that ain't gonna cut it

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 09:31:28 PM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/09/17/redzone_is_the_cause_of_and_solution_to_all_of_the_nfl_s_problems.html

Maybe the NFL needs to move beyond the "two games at noon, one game at 3:30" mode of broadcasting.  There are college games on every network on Saturday.  I can watch whatever one I want.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »
The San Francisco photo may be a bit misleading. In Chicago, we have been Bears season ticket holders for 22 years. That's not uncommon here either as the fans either are buying food, going to the bathroom or mistimed their return.

Also, the 49ers and Rams, along with the Bears, Browns and Jets have the five worst teams in the NFL right now. The McCaskeys had an enormous number of empty seats last year in the last three home games. Given where things are going, this year should be no different.

Browns don't have an empty stadium though.  And they are better than the Bengals.