collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Manti Te'o a fraud?  (Read 21718 times)

Pakuni

• All American

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Manti Te'o a fraud?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
Typical Notre Dame arrogance!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »
This is incredible!

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Wow, that's insane. Way to go, Deadspin!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
Wow, that's insane. Way to go, Deadspin!

Seriously, if they got their stuff right that's some outstanding journalism.
And a serious indictment on all the journalists who bought and published the story (I'm looking at you, Sports Illustrated).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
It would be awesome if this was a "conspiracy" put together to prove that the modern media does no research into the stories that they're reporting as fact. I mean, how hard would it be to find funeral info or even a record for a student being enrolled at a university at a specific time?

I can't imagine that to be the case but it would be a good defense for Hawaiian Katzenmoyer to use.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
Seriously, if they got their stuff right that's some outstanding journalism.
And a serious indictment on all the journalists who bought and published the story (I'm looking at you, Sports Illustrated).

Yes, if I was Pete Thamel, I would be extremely concerned right now. I wonder what SI and ESPN's respond is to this, if they even have one.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
Yes, if I was Pete Thamel, I would be extremely concerned right now. I wonder what SI and ESPN's respond is to this, if they even have one.

Their defense is to not mention it for at least a day, especially since it came from Deadspin.

Somewhere Lance Armstrong is riding a bike fist pumping like a maniac.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
Lazar couldn't find her, so he tipped off Deadspin.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Lazar couldn't find her, so he tipped off Deadspin.

My early favorite for 2013 Scoop Post of the Year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Notre Dame just released a statement saying Te'o was the victim of a hoax.

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:22:00 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators."

What the hell does this even mean? Didn't Te'o say he had a girlfriend and this chick was her?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »
What the hell does this even mean? Didn't Te'o say he had a girlfriend and this chick was her?

Sure doesn't seem to jibe with his story about meeting her after a game at Stanford.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

That's not going to fly. Multiple times he mentioned Lennay as his girlfriend (surely someone will ask how you can have a girl of eight months without once physically seeing her?) and the Tuisasopo connection seems pretty damning.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Hahahahahaha Notre Dame's statement is hilarious.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Hahahahahaha Notre Dame's statement is hilarious.

And people say that MU is bad at PR.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
It would be awesome if this was a "conspiracy" put together to prove that the modern media does no research into the stories that they're reporting as fact. I mean, how hard would it be to find funeral info or even a record for a student being enrolled at a university at a specific time?

I can't imagine that to be the case but it would be a good defense for Hawaiian Katzenmoyer to use.

The media? Do no research? Just report things as fact without questioning or actually sourcing them? I'm shocked at such an allegation. Shocked. /sarcasm.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
Sure doesn't seem to jibe with his story about meeting her after a game at Stanford.

Especially that whole statement from Brian Te'o that she had come to Hawaii with him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
And people say that MU is bad at PR.

At least MU would have waited until 5 p.m. Friday.

Seriously, though, what's ND's alternative here? I have no doubt Te'o came to them with this story, probably when he realized people were sniffing around his claims. Heck, it might even be true (though I very much doubt that).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
Best case scenario for Te'o at this point is that he got totally punk'd by someone and that he then significantly embellished details (i.e., made up, fabricated, lied) about the "relationship" because he thought it was a little creepy to have this kind of a "relationship" with someone he hadn't met.  That's the best case scenario...and it's not particularly good (unless, of course, you don't mind people thinking you're an idiot and a liar).  It also seems pretty unlikely.

I think there's blood in the water.  This is going to get ugly.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:55:57 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
New big head for the Notre Dame game:  Teo's fake girlfriend

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
New big head for the Notre Dame game:  Teo's fake girlfriend

Or the dude he was romanticizing with.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
Seriously, though, what's ND's alternative here? I have no doubt Te'o came to them with this story, probably when he realized people were sniffing around his claims. Heck, it might even be true (though I very much doubt that).

Two options... One, don't issue a statement. Or, issue a statement that the girlfriend story was a hoax and ND is investigating the story further. That's it.

Claiming that Te'o was a victim was extremely dumb. Especially, with the evidence that cast serious doubt that Te'o was an innocent bystander.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
I really don't get why he would decide that the best way to cover up being gay was by staging a massively public fake girlfriend/fake girlfriend's slow agonizing and untimely death. Frankly, there is no possible explanation I can think of that doesn't make Teo look like a historically big idiot.

LON

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
At least Tebow gets pictures of himself with his beards.

feedback