[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Offseason Thread  (Read 22287 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: NFL Offseason Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
Hey, thank you. I always respect your NFL analysis, and entirely missed the RG3 stuff today.
What do you think about MUBurrow's comments on Sean?  That franchise has gone through so much.

Much appreciated, thank you Sir.

Saints stuff is surprising, not shocking. I don't think Gregg Williams coaches ever again in the league. Not that he'll be suspended for life, between his age and now soured reputation, I think he never coaches again.

The Payton stuff...I don't think (right now at least) they could legally terminate him. Losing Vitti for 6 games hurts as well, as he was their assistant head coach. Who coaches the team now? Vitti would be this year's head coach, but he'll be gone for the first 6 games.

That said, I can't see them letting Payton go long term for now. Brees still has to sign (he has an exclusive franchise tender). Brees loves him, and my guess is he re-signs knowing Payton will be back next year.

I'm going to boldly predict Colts take RG3 over Luck. In the craziest of crazy NFL offseasons I've ever seen, I think this would be the icing on the cake.

Also of note from today in the NFL, possibly moving trade deadline from Week 6 to Week 8, and adjusting injured reserved rule to allow players injured in Week 1 to be placed on IR and return after Week 8 of the same season.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »
Tebow to Jets has been finalized.  Worked through the earlier snag.  Still makes no sense.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
Terry Malone, the tight ends coach for the Saints, is the younger brother of Kevin Malone, who was on Marquette's freshman team in the 70's.  Great family.   Detroit folks, I think
Ludum habemus.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »
Also of note from today in the NFL, possibly moving trade deadline from Week 6 to Week 8, and adjusting injured reserved rule to allow players injured in Week 1 to be placed on IR and return after Week 8 of the same season.
I am pulling this from the Green Bay Press Gazette, but here is their interpretation of the IR rule change:

"* Adding an injured reserve category in which if a player is carried on the roster through the first weekend of the regular season, that player could be placed on a reserve list and be allowed to practice six weeks later and play two weeks after that. It would be limited to one player per season."

Looks like the injury can occur after Week 1, but the player needs to be on the roster through the 1st weekend.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, didn't know it was one player per season either.

Question for Pack fans...was the interest in Tebow by GB real? Couldn't fathom that for a second. You have the best player in the NFL on your roster, and while you do need a back up QB, still couldn't imagine Tebow there.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »

Question for Pack fans...was the interest in Tebow by GB real? Couldn't fathom that for a second. You have the best player in the NFL on your roster, and while you do need a back up QB, still couldn't imagine Tebow there.

I have to imagine any actual interest would have been as a short-distance h-back/tight-end guy or to put him with McCarthy/Clemnts and build up his trade value as a QB. Pure speculation on my part though, who knows if there was ever any actual interest.

brewcity'77

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
Man oh man, what wild day in the NFL.

Can't believe Tebow picked the Jets over Jags, on so many different levels, blows my mind.

I don't think Tebow had any say in what team he was traded to.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
I don't think Tebow had any say in what team he was traded to.

The internets would seem to disagree with you.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »
Tebow to Jets has been finalized.  Worked through the earlier snag.  Still makes no sense.

It makes some sense.  Jets o-coordinator is tony sparano, who loves him some wildcat, which tebow can run very effectively since it is basically a read-option offense.  it doesn't make sense to pair him with emotionally fragile mark sanchez, however, who will probably whine about having to split time with tebow if they actually do run the wildcat a handful of times/game. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
Jets want a rule change to allow for bounce passes.  Tebow and Sanchez would be unstoppable.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »
Jets want a rule change to allow for bounce passes.  Tebow and Sanchez would be unstoppable.

Hahahahahaha
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »
Michael Bush (formerly Oakland) signed by the Bears. Forte and his agent are VERY unhappy about the situation - Forte currently has the franchise tag, but hasn't actually signed "the dotted line." Could be a holdout situation this summer. Damnit.

Paging Phil Emery... PAY HIM!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

No kidding, I don't know what the bears are thinking on this one. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
Michael Bush (formerly Oakland) signed by the Bears. Forte and his agent are VERY unhappy about the situation - Forte currently has the franchise tag, but hasn't actually signed "the dotted line." Could be a holdout situation this summer. Damnit.

Even before this signing, my guess is that Forte was going to holdout, unless he signed a long-term deal. Adding Michael Bush doesn't change that part of the equation. That's why the Bears signed Bush, they needed some insurance.

BTW - What is the deal with Forte? I would have thought that the deals signed by Lynch and Foster would have set the market for him.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
Even before this signing, my guess is that Forte was going to holdout, unless he signed a long-term deal. Adding Michael Bush doesn't change that part of the equation. That's why the Bears signed Bush, they needed some insurance.

True on the needed insurance. But he was definitely pissed off even further with a 4 year deal going to Bush

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »
Have no idea but have the Bears offered Forte a long term deal?  If they have was it a fair deal?  Is there an agent in his ear?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
Have no idea but have the Bears offered Forte a long term deal?  If they have was it a fair deal?  Is there an agent in his ear?

Allegedly there have been long term deals put on the table, but not quite what Forte is asking in terms of $$.  I think, like a previous poster noted, he's asking for more than the likes of the Foster and Lynch contracts. Not sure about the agent.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »

My understanding is they would not trade a high pick for him.  Likely more interested if Denver did not find a taker and it was either after he was cut or in a fire sale. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
Packers signed Jeff Saturday.  Two year deal.  Good signing...can draft a center for the future.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »
Packers signed Jeff Saturday.  Two year deal.  Good signing...can draft a center for the future.

I like that signing.  Gives time to focus the draft on D and getting/developing a C with a middle round pick.

brewcity'77

• Walk-On
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »
I like that signing.  Gives time to focus the draft on D and getting/developing a C with a middle round pick.

I think Zeitler (Wisc.) might be an option since TT was at their pro day

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »
so the vikings just signed Jerome Simpson to a 1 year contract, scratch that, it's really only a 13 game contract since he caught a 3 game suspension for dealing pot.

hey Jaybee, how smart is your newest wide receiver if he gets arrested for having 2.5 pounds of pot shipped UPS to his house and then lets the cops search his house even though he has another 6 pounds and scales laying around?

gotta be pretty desperate for wideouts up dere huh?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »

Splendid wisecrack +100!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
Excited for the draft tonight, still don't like the new format, loved the all day Saturday rounds 1-3, but oh well.

Can't recall a draft with this much hot air, really ramped up this year. Bears probably go D end, Pack outside LB, Lions secondary, Vikes ??.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
Excited for the draft tonight, still don't like the new format, loved the all day Saturday rounds 1-3, but oh well.

Can't recall a draft with this much hot air, really ramped up this year. Bears probably go D end, Pack outside LB, Lions secondary, Vikes ??.

I'm a huge football fan, but can't stand how overhyped the draft is. I don't blame McShay or Kiper for doing what they do as I definitely would for the $$, but all the analysis is a joke. At least 1/2 of the guys picked in the 1st round won't amount to anything more than journeyman players in the league if that--those are just the odds, but those guys talk in such absolutes about everyone of them it's as if they can't imagine any of them being busts.

Agreed Dish, the Pack definitely needs to shore up the defense. Would be pretty surprised if it wasn't an OLB with the 1st pick. Hopefully they look for help on the DL and Safety the next couple days and maybe also pick up a RB late with some hidden potential.

feedback