[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

NIL Future by Pakuni
[Today at 10:19:01 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:41:14 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Packers got jobbed on that last play...FACEMASK all the way  (Read 21911 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Packers got jobbed on that last play...FACEMASK all the way
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »
No, a simple grasp of the facemask is not a punishable offense. Twisting and yanking calls for a 15 yard penalty.

no, you're wrong.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
While it's unfortunate that they missed the calls...  it doesn't change the fact that Aaron missed another easy homerun ball on first down.  Oh and the defense only made 2 stops in 60 minutes.

Also, can anyone tell me what the Packers defense was ranked this season? I ask because the announcers were going off prior to the game about them "thriving" in Caper's new system.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
I can't agree with the people that state the facemask had no impact on the play.  First off, they call that foul, the Packers get 15 yards, still retain the ball, and who knows the outcome.

Also, when he pulled on the facemask, Rodgers fell back, kicking the ball in the air for the LB to catch the ball in mid-air, making the run that much easier to the endzone.

The officials were awful, missed two hits on Rodgers on that last series that should have been flagged.  Or Fitzgerald just shoving our DBs to the ground.  The hold on Jenkins that they ended up calling a roughing the passer.

Just brutal, thanks NFL.  Either have the Tom Brady rule or don't, can't call it once and then skip it the rest of the game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
no, you're wrong.

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_patriots_journal30_07-30-08_J2B1JLU_v9.3e83d1b.html

"Also, the five-yard facemask penalty has been eliminated. If a player clearly pulls, twists or grabs an opponent’s facemask, it will be flagged as a 15-yard penalty. Placing a hand on an opponent’s facemask and then letting go is no longer a foul.

No apology will be necessary.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 11:20:42 AM »
Remember that the face masks that used to be 5 yards for simply grasping the face mask is no longer a penalty.  Sorry but that is not a penalty.

It looked to me like he had it for at least 2 seconds, I'd call that enough for a face mask.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
I can't agree with the people that state the facemask had no impact on the play.  First off, they call that foul, the Packers get 15 yards, still retain the ball, and who knows the outcome.

Also, when he pulled on the facemask, Rodgers fell back, kicking the ball in the air for the LB to catch the ball in mid-air, making the run that much easier to the endzone.

The officials were awful, missed two hits on Rodgers on that last series that should have been flagged.  Or Fitzgerald just shoving our DBs to the ground.  The hold on Jenkins that they ended up calling a roughing the passer.

Just brutal, thanks NFL.  Either have the Tom Brady rule or don't, can't call it once and then skip it the rest of the game.

Hmmm...

He hit Rodgers. Hard. That's why his feet went flying up in the air. Not sure tugging on the mask suddenly made him kick the ball. Seems like a reach.

With this said, I still understand why your pissed.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
It looked to me like he had it for at least 2 seconds, I'd call that enough for a face mask.

The picture is very misleading.  When you see it live, he brought his hand down across his facemask, grasping it briefly, but then letting go.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
The Packers got cheated and Capers is clearly a defensive genius.

Don't Packers fans hate Dallas almost as much as the Vikings?  Rooting rules should have you guys cheering for your division.  Say it with me.. SKOL, VIKINGS, LET'S GO!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LON

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »

Don't Packers fans hate Dallas almost as much as the Vikings?  Rooting rules should have you guys cheering for your division.  Say it with me.. SKOL, VIKINGS, LET'S GO!!!

There was a poll (maybe ESPN sportsnation) of MN residents and 82% (82% !!!) thought that the Vikings would lose to the Cowboys...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
As many times as I see the replay, I still think the refs made the wrong call. How they missed it is beyond me.

Majikowski was over the line!   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »
no, you're wrong.

He's actually right

» Incidental facemasks: The foul for incidental grasp and release of the facemask has been eliminated. Twisting, turning or pulling the facemask will remain a 15-yard personal foul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809f6279&template=with-video&confirm=true

The question becomes if it was incidental.  Looked to me like he had it for about 2 seconds, that's more than incidental in my mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 12:27:27 PM »
While it's unfortunate that they missed the calls...  it doesn't change the fact that Aaron missed another easy homerun ball on first down.  Oh and the defense only made 2 stops in 60 minutes.

Also, can anyone tell me what the Packers defense was ranked this season? I ask because the announcers were going off prior to the game about them "thriving" in Caper's new system.

I believe the Packers had a top 3 defense per the rankings.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
He's actually right

» Incidental facemasks: The foul for incidental grasp and release of the facemask has been eliminated. Twisting, turning or pulling the facemask will remain a 15-yard personal foul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809f6279&template=with-video&confirm=true

The question becomes if it was incidental.  Looked to me like he had it for about 2 seconds, that's more than incidental in my mind.

I'll concede and apologize then... but with the caveat that the message probably didn't get to the officials or they plain ignored it earlier in the game.

I remember a certain incidental face mask on Warner from Jenkins that was flagged for 15 yards.

IMHO, you either call it all or none... I realize calling penalties is extremely subjective, so why not eliminate the subjectivity of this call?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »

I remember a certain incidental face mask on Warner from Jenkins that was flagged for 15 yards.

Technically....  I thought they called roughing the passer for the blow to the head, not a facemask.  Jenkins arm did seem to knock him on the head.  

I agree on the hold, I don't remember the severity of the push off, but most Tier 1 WR seem to get away with multiple fouls like that every game.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:47:22 PM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »
Technically....  I thought they called roughing the passer for the blow to the head, not a facemask.  Jenkins arm did seem to knock him on the head.   

As he was being held, while Fitzgerald was tackling Charles Woodson. I thought that was the worst series of calls/non-calls in the game, and it happened all on one play.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 01:14:57 PM »
No, a simple grasp of the facemask is not a punishable offense. Twisting and yanking calls for a 15 yard penalty.

wrong. they are all 15 now.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
Face mask
(offense, defense, or special teams)   Grasping the face mask of another player while attempting to block or tackle him. For NFL and NCAA, the grasping and pulling/twisting must be intentional to be penalized. One arm in front of the body, forearm extended vertically. The hand is closed into a fist in front of the face and pulled downward.  15 yards, automatic first down.

seemed like a pretty secure grasp and pull down of the facemask to me
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

LON

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
seemed like a pretty secure grasp and pull down of the facemask to me

That's what I saw...

Look at Rodgers' face, his eyes are now trying to see through his forehead pad, if that's not pulling, then I don't know what is.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »
wrong. they are all 15 now.

^This is correct.  What used to be classified as an incidental facemask is now a 15 yard penalty.

That being said, we gave up 45 points on defense and got two stops all day (one aided by two Cardinals runs, for whatever reason).  Can't say we deserved to win.

I learned what I needed to know. Rodgers is a baller and will be good in GB for a long time.  The team will learn from this.

That overthrow to Jennings will replay in my head for the next eight months, though.

Still, a 21 point comeback in a little under two quarters to force overtime in a road playoff game, while abolishing nearly every single game playoff record for a Packer QB? Are you kidding me?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
^This is correct.  What used to be classified as an incidental facemask is now a 15 yard penalty.

Please see above.  Multiple links show that you are incorrect.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »

Please see above.  Multiple links show that you are incorrect.

regardless, its hands to the face, or hitting the QB in the head with your hand.

BOTH are penalties.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »

I would love to see the Queens get to the Superbowl and extend their record for Superbowl futility. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
Remember that the face masks that used to be 5 yards for simply grasping the face mask is no longer a penalty.  Sorry but that is not a penalty.

It's a penalty for sure the way they've been calling it the past few years. Either illegal contact or faskmask, your choice. That said, I hate that they do call and glad they didn't. Wished the Packers would've won and they call it more consistently, but I won't complain about a no-call.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
Technically....  I thought they called roughing the passer for the blow to the head, not a facemask.  Jenkins arm did seem to knock him on the head.  

I agree on the hold, I don't remember the severity of the push off, but most Tier 1 WR seem to get away with multiple fouls like that every game.

I thought the hold was blatant...as it was happening I basically said "Damn, he's going to get called for the hold" which he was a second late.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
If the situation was reversed and a Packers' game-winning TD was called back due to a questionable facemask penalty, I highly doubt that you would all be on here talking about how it was the correct call.

Face it, the Packers got beat by a better team. Deal with it, you bunch of whiners.  :'(

feedback