collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 02:26:40 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Packers got jobbed on that last play...FACEMASK all the way  (Read 21915 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Packers got jobbed on that last play...FACEMASK all the way
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:13:11 PM »

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:22:55 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Re: Packers got jobbed on that last play...FACEMASK all the way
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:20:46 PM »
I personally love the fact that this picture was up on the NFL mainpage (and still is)

www.nfl.com

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
Thinking the same thing, so what would be the call there?  I think the fumble was before the facemask.  Does the fumble return get called back?  If so, spot foul  ?-(  15 yards from the 25 or so, get them back to the 40.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »
if it was before they recovered it (which it was) i believe it would have remained packer ball. if it was after they recovered it then it would still be holding or something.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
I think it was a fine no call because it happened after the fumble and really had no bearing on the play.  The helmet-to-helmet that wasn't called a couple plays earlier was much worse.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
if it was before they recovered it (which it was) i believe it would have remained packer ball. if it was after they recovered it then it would still be holding or something.

Thanks, now I can go to bed even more mad.

Crotch punch of weekend for sports.  Reminds me of two years ago when I witnessed in person MU getting gimped @ UCONN, then raced home to watch the Pack lose against the Giants in OT.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
If their defense could have made one stop all game, they would have won. Forget about the facemask.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »
Let's not forget about Crosby's missed field goal

It's God awful that the men in stripes failed to do their job when it mattered most but it's just as bad that Mason Crosby couldn't do his job (and hasn't done it all F-ing season) and the packers defense failed to do it's job too.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:21:47 PM »
Crosby hasn't been good this year. No question. But to rag the guy for missing a 54-yarder is stupid. Neal Rackers, on the other hand, owes Michael Adams (of all people) his job.

I said it in the other thread, but I thought this was a poorly-officiated game all-around. Several missed calls and phantom calls both ways. Ultimately, though, it came down to defense (as stupid as that sounds). The Cardinals defense forced 3 turnovers, including the game-winner. Without those, it might have been another blowout win for the Pack.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »
Of course the Packers could have played better, but an obvious foul is an obvious foul.

ESPN has it up now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/8719/did-missed-face-mask-cost-the-packers

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:18 AM »
I wish I could say they got jobbed on just that non-call at the end of the game, and not throughout.

But I can't.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 08:07:54 AM »
Remember that the face masks that used to be 5 yards for simply grasping the face mask is no longer a penalty.  Sorry but that is not a penalty.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
The non-call on the play before was worse...Berry (I think...) for ARI went helmet to helmet on Rodgers after he threw the ball. It would have offset the holding on Colledge and given GB an automatic first down. In a time where QBs are probably over protected...it was pretty blatant, and an easier call to make than the facemask.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »
The fitzgerald vs woodson (non)call was worse.

The facemask is obvious, but really didn't have any effect on the actual play.

The fitzgerald vs woodson play created a touchdown.

Great game by Aaron. He's fantastic, and if the Packers address a couple of personnel issues in the off season, I think they could be very good next year.

IMO they need:

- Improved pass rush (probably means finding another linebacker who is a better pass rusher, or possibly a D-lineman, but there aren't a lot of great D-line pass rushers in a 3-4 scheme)
- Offensive line (so many guys were moved around to cover for injuries. If they could solidify the line with a free agent signing and/or a high draft pick, it would help their depth immensely)
- Impact return man (possibly Blackmon if he comes back healthy)
- Running back (Grant is good, but most really good teams have 2 quality backs)
- improved secondary (see if they can bring in some youth because Woodson and Harris aren't getting any younger)

LON

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »
The fitzgerald vs woodson (non)call was worse.

The facemask is obvious, but really didn't have any effect on the actual play.

The fitzgerald vs woodson play created a touchdown.

Great game by Aaron. He's fantastic, and if the Packers address a couple of personnel issues in the off season, I think they could be very good next year.

IMO they need:

- Improved pass rush (probably means finding another linebacker who is a better pass rusher, or possibly a D-lineman, but there aren't a lot of great D-line pass rushers in a 3-4 scheme)
- Offensive line (so many guys were moved around to cover for injuries. If they could solidify the line with a free agent signing and/or a high draft pick, it would help their depth immensely)
- Impact return man (possibly Blackmon if he comes back healthy)
- Running back (Grant is good, but most really good teams have 2 quality backs)
- improved secondary (see if they can bring in some youth because Woodson and Harris aren't getting any younger)

I think they should go get Cribbs...gives us an awesome PR/KR and also can run some Wildcat (if they so choosed)...

He doesn't want that much money

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
The Wildcat is a novelty act.  Packers have a real quarterback so they should stay away from it.

They need help on the offensive line and in the secondary.  I'm glad they are trying to resign Pickett too.  And as good as Jones looked this year at OLB, another linebacker would be good too.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I think they should go get Cribbs...gives us an awesome PR/KR and also can run some Wildcat (if they so choosed)...

He doesn't want that much money

I don't think he is a FA, and I can't see the new GM being stupid enough to let their most valuable offensive weapon leave.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:37 AM »
O-line definitely tops the list, followed closely by LB and secondary help. I'll take my chances with Blackmon and the guys they have been using for the return game (they have no reason to run the wildcat when you have their receivers and quite possibly the best TE in the league.). I agree another running back (with some speed) would be nice.

If they could somehow get Capers a set of balls, that would be nice too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
O-line definitely tops the list, followed closely by LB and secondary help. I'll take my chances with Blackmon and the guys they have been using for the return game (they have no reason to run the wildcat when you have their receivers and quite possibly the best TE in the league.). I agree another running back (with some speed) would be nice.

If they could somehow get Capers a set of balls, that would be nice too.

But that is where Harris injury really killed the Packers.  You can't blitz a lot out of the secondary when you have no depth back there.  He tried doing that at the end on the Cardinals final drive, but Warner was just slicing them up.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

But that is where Harris injury really killed the Packers.  You can't blitz a lot out of the secondary when you have no depth back there.  He tried doing that at the end on the Cardinals final drive, but Warner was just slicing them up.

I agree with the Harris thing. Problem is, Warner sliced them up the previous 58 minutes as well. They never got near him or frankly gave him anything to think about other than waiting for his receiver to come free 15 yards down the middle of the field. Capers lost his nerve, just as he did against Pittsburgh, and went away from the things that made them a great defense the second half of the year.

LON

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
Al Harris is a bump and run CB, not a zone CB...he is too old to play that type of cover corner.

EDIT:  It was the communication problems on the stacked sets that did in the secondary, that and the lack of any pressure.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:28:03 AM by LancesOtherNut »

LON

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
Remember that the face masks that used to be 5 yards for simply grasping the face mask is no longer a penalty.  Sorry but that is not a penalty.

I thought they changed it to any grasp of face mask, incidental or not, was an automatic 15 yard penalty from the spot of the foul?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
I thought they changed it to any grasp of face mask, incidental or not, was an automatic 15 yard penalty from the spot of the foul?

they did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:46 AM »
No, a simple grasp of the facemask is not a punishable offense. Twisting and yanking calls for a 15 yard penalty.

feedback