[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: William and Mary uses common sense approach  (Read 22649 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
William and Mary uses common sense approach
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »
What a novel idea! William and Mary keeps "Tribe" nickname, but decides to change mascots! What clever bastards!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/06/22/william.mary.ap/index.html

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: William and Mary uses common sense approach
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Ingenious!  Why didn't I think of that.

Oh wait....

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:02 PM »
Would you rather be called the Warriors with a different mascot and have a hoops program on William & Mary's level, or be called the Golden Eagles and have the program at its current level?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Would you rather be called the Warriors with a different mascot and have a hoops program on William & Mary's level, or be called the Golden Eagles and have the program at its current level?

What does that have to do with anything?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

Would you rather slide down a bannister covered in razor blades or suck the boogers out of a dead person's nose?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
What a novel idea! William and Mary keeps "Tribe" nickname, but decides to change mascots! What clever bastards!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/06/22/william.mary.ap/index.html

My brother in law teaches down there.  We spoke about it months ago and how it was bungled so badly at Marquette.  He wasn't on any committee or anything at William and Mary, but when we spoke about simply changing the mascot and keeping the name he felt that many were leaning toward that notion.

Glad to see it come to fruition.  In 5, 10, 15, 20 years....with each successive year, people will not remember the Indian association.  It's what we should have done from the get-go and what we should have done a few years ago.

The image will be burned into my memory for a lifetime and could have been avoided is of the MU student (female) looking at the tv in complete stunned disbelief.

Wade also couldn't have said it better.   

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&um=1&q=%22marquette%20gold%22&ndsp=18&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iv#

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »
Would you rather slide down a bannister covered in razor blades or suck the boogers out of a dead person's nose?

;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

I'd rather be called the Warriors and have a program at Marquette's level.  Not sure why the nickname determines the level of the program, but it often does determine many other things, including the cow towing to political correctness, etc.  Otherwise, I honestly don't get your analogy at all, what does one have to do with the other?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »

So let me get this straight. . .

William and Mary first changes from the "Indians" to the "Tribe" in the 1980's, becoming one of the first schools to bow to political correctness.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5inmHVW7pfhSlwoFmep82lmheVJQgD98VQ0T00

Then, they try to pass off an "amorphous, asexual green blob" as their mascot while keeping the Tribe name?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Ebirt

NOW they have to change yet again, keeping the Tribe name, but changing the mascot to potentially a stalk of asparagus?

And this is defined here as "common sense?"

My god, we could have wound up with this:

or this. . .

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
Y'know, when I first read the part about the asparagus, my thought was, "I'll bet you could get Veggie Tales as a corporate sponsor."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
I don't think many care about the actual mascot itself, it's just some coed dancing around in a costume.  But the nickname carries on more value to many alums, just my opinion.  It's difficult to come up with a symbol for Tribe that isn't Indian.

It's very very easy to come up with a symbol or mascot for Warriors that isn't Indian.  I don't think we would have ended up with a stalk of celery or blueteaux, but even if we had I'll bet the vast majority of alums that wanted Warriors back would have taken that trade.

Just doing a quick exercise of going to google and typing in "warrior" in the images section results in 18 images...3 of them Indian, 3 soldiers, a bunch of medeval warrior types (archers, barbarian types), a few warrior priests (love that), etc.  We would have ended up with something very warrior like without the Indian imagery.  No problem at all in my opinion.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »

The General has taken on a new command.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
I don't think many care about the actual mascot itself, it's just some coed dancing around in a costume. 

So TallTitan is actually a chick?

AH is going to be pissed at you. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »

Well - I suppose we could count that as a warrior too.  Oh...that wasn't your point ???

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »
I like the WoW move to bring back the Warrior Nickname. Each player can change their name to an Avatar... just think of the options we would have on the jumbo-tron...

Or we could always bring back:

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 10:00:49 PM »
some people in the athletics office will never let Blueteaux out of retirement unless it's the last year they are at MU, and then it's even a very very slim chance. TT knows who I'm talking about.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 08:27:03 AM »
The problem with Blueteaux wasn't the concept...it was the execution.  If they would have gotten a loveable Philly-fanatic type, or something like the Golden State Warrior mascot, it would have been OK.  But instead they instead got something that looked like a mangey, flea-ridden Grover with a gay little baret on his head.

And this ignores the issue that DiUlio was hell-bent on changing the name no matter what.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »
And this ignores the issue that DiUlio was hell-bent on changing the name no matter what.

I've heard for years that Shalala was instrumental in getting DiUlio to change the name, including that she would not be able to continue playing MU pursuant to Big 10 rules.  Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »
I've heard for years that Shalala was instrumental in getting DiUlio to change the name, including that she would not be able to continue playing MU pursuant to Big 10 rules.  Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

None.  He was apparently influenced by a couple tribal leaders in northern Wisconsin.  However, I think it was mostly driven by DiUlio's desire to shake things up when he got to MU.  Father Raynor was a wonderful, caring President who helped the University grow leaps and bounds.  But MU suffered from a malaise at the end of his tenure - poor enrollment, small endowment, infrastructure issues, etc.

DiUlio was brought in to shake things up and this was one of his battles.  He ended up picking too many of them, like his desire to divert Wisconsin Avenue, and pissed too many people off so he was let go.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 09:08:02 AM »
I think having Blueteaux walking around the Bradley Center for a couple games a year would be a HUGE crowd pleaser.

"Retro Mascot Days"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
I think having Blueteaux walking around the Bradley Center for a couple games a year would be a HUGE crowd pleaser.

"Retro Mascot Days"

I agree! I think it would be hilarious. Of course, the perspective of some on this board is that the name "Warriors" cannot be separated from former incarnations of our mascots.

By that reasoning, these people cannot separate Blueteaux from "Warriors." Therefore, Blueteaux=Racist.

Perfect logic.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »

None.  He was apparently influenced by a couple tribal leaders in northern Wisconsin.  However, I think it was mostly driven by DiUlio's desire to shake things up when he got to MU.  Father Raynor was a wonderful, caring President who helped the University grow leaps and bounds.  But MU suffered from a malaise at the end of his tenure - poor enrollment, small endowment, infrastructure issues, etc.

DiUlio was brought in to shake things up and this was one of his battles.  He ended up picking too many of them, like his desire to divert Wisconsin Avenue, and pissed too many people off so he was let go.

Completely agree

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »
I agree! I think it would be hilarious. Of course, the perspective of some on this board is that the name "Warriors" cannot be separated from former incarnations of our mascots.

By that reasoning, these people cannot separate Blueteaux from "Warriors." Therefore, Blueteaux=Racist.

Perfect logic.

I actually agree with you on this one.

However, you seem to imply that what "some on this board" think matters.

I don't think that that MU gives a rip about what the people on this board think. We can b*tch all we want, but MU won't care to listen until it benefits them in a significant way (most likely, in $$).

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
it would have to be a new Blueteaux costume as both of the old ones are in the University archives and are in now shape to be worn. They are in pretty poor condition so maybe when Sesame Street on Ice is in town, someone could talk them into letting MU borrow a Grover outfit.  :D

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
it would have to be a new Blueteaux costume as both of the old ones are in the University archives and are in now shape to be worn. They are in pretty poor condition so maybe when Sesame Street on Ice is in town, someone could talk them into letting MU borrow a Grover outfit.  :D

I actually think Cookie Monster bears a closer resemblance:

Grover is way too svelte to play Blueteaux:

Ludum habemus.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »
Blueteaux looks like the aborted fetus that Cookie Monster and Grover would create.

Didn't DiUlio (for lack of a better word) suck? A few profs regarded him in a not so wonderful light. Kind of suggested he ran MU into the ground before Wild took over. Little fund raising, zero campus expansion. Thought I do think Closing down Wisc ave would have been tremendous. I'd still support that. Thoughts on DiUlio from the elder scoopers?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »
For lack of a better word, sucked.  The way he approached whole nickname thing was indicative of how he approached everything.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
I wonder if there is anyone that could make a positive case for DiUlio. 

If it's out there, I'd really like to hear it.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
I wonder if there is anyone that could make a positive case for DiUlio. 

If it's out there, I'd really like to hear it.

I'll try

He really knew how to spend a crapload of money on his own coronation as President.  He was good at that.

That's all I got

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
I'll try

He really knew how to spend a crapload of money on his own coronation as President.  He was good at that.

That's all I got

Ask some of the long-in-the-tooth profs about how he damn near bankrupted the faculty retirement fund with his grandiose vision
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 01:48:14 PM »
If all of his decisions were questionable and, eventually, dismissed...doesn't it make you wonder why we have to live with the most ridiculous of all? Golden Eagles? Are you freaking kidding me? It's still absolutely unfathomable to me.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »
Blueteaux looks like the aborted fetus that Cookie Monster and Grover would create.
 Thought I do think Closing down Wisc ave would have been tremendous. I'd still support that.

Just curious, but why? I love having Wisconsin in the middle of campus. Makes it feel a lot more connected to downtown.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
If all of his decisions were questionable and, eventually, dismissed...doesn't it make you wonder why we have to live with the most ridiculous of all? Golden Eagles? Are you freaking kidding me? It's still absolutely unfathomable to me.

Here's the million dollar question (just for fun):

Would you take back TC for another 15 years if MU changed the name back?

(obviously these 2 topics aren't related, but some people hate Crean and the nickname with such great passion).

Orrrr, what if MU went back to Warriors, but somehow TC received ALL of the credit. Could you live with that?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
The first one is a good question. I would probably say yes. Although he's a very close second, there is absolutely nothing worse than our nickname. Nothing.

The second one is too out there. He'd never get credit for something everybody's been clamoring for...but he'd damn sure try.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Just curious, but why? I love having Wisconsin in the middle of campus. Makes it feel a lot more connected to downtown.

It'll never happen now because of the buildup on campus west of 16th Street.  The idea was that WI Avenue would be diverted south to Clybourn and back up to Wisconsin Avenue east of campus.

DiUlio wasn't a good President.  However, it is not fair to say that Marquette's problems in that era were all due to him.  Toward the end of the Raynor era, there was problems with fund-raising and enrollment.  The University became a little too inbred.  It needed someone from the outside to give them new ideas.  DiUlio was just the wrong person for the job.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
The first one is a good question. I would probably say yes. Although he's a very close second, there is absolutely nothing worse than our nickname. Nothing.

The second one is too out there. He'd never get credit for something everybody's been clamoring for...but he'd damn sure try.

Fair enough.

Just trying to gauge the hatred.

1. GE's is #1
2. TC

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »

its one of the handful of pipe dreams i'd like to see MU undertake. I think that MU would have a more "campus" feel to it. plus students would have to play real life Frogger during passing time. I just find that wisconsin ave splits the campus in two, and if we didnt have to have the road there we shouldnt

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
Here's the million dollar question (just for fun):

Would you take back TC for another 15 years if MU changed the name back?

(obviously these 2 topics aren't related, but some people hate Crean and the nickname with such great passion).

Orrrr, what if MU went back to Warriors, but somehow TC received ALL of the credit. Could you live with that?

Only the Tan One would take credit for getting the Warrior nickname back after foisting   " Gold " on us.

For the record 2002, I am not a TC hater.  My beef with him is he signs a 10 year contract, with all the protection that goes along with that, then skates after 2 years.  MU made a major commitment and he puked all over it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »
Only the Tan One would take credit for getting the Warrior nickname back after foisting   " Gold " on us.

For the record 2002, I am not a TC hater.  My beef with him is he signs a 10 year contract, with all the protection that goes along with that, then skates after 2 years.  MU made a major commitment and he puked all over it.

No problem.

I don't want to appear as his constant apologist. The dude is not above criticism. MU committed to him, and he bailed.

That sucks.

We all know that.