collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baseball Stadiums  (Read 21335 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Baseball Stadiums
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »
No different then White Sox fans or Cubs fans having to travel, or Indians fans in Columbus.   I get what you're saying, but I love that they are building an outdoor stadium.  Those fans will just have to make their trips in May through September instead of April.

Chicago is a much different market than Milwaukee or Minneapolis/St. Paul. The Indians as well - plus the Jake is a much older / newer stadium.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2009, 11:46:57 PM »
Your evidence of this is what?

Some might argue the Minnesota Vikings.  The Old Met was a tough place to play, especially in December and January.   But playing a game where the weather conditions are perfect (aka a dome), equalizes it for the road team.  Don't get me wrong, the Metrodome is very very loud, and that is an advantage in and of itself.  But I've always felt weather was a bigger opponent than noise.

I don't think the Vikings are as tough as they used to be.  In the old days they were gritty, played in a tough place and had no problem going to Chicago or Minnesota to do the same. 

There's an interesting article actually at Pro Football Weekly from a few years ago that analyzes dome advantage.  They compiled the data since 1982 to 2006 and determined that there is actually a "HOME DOME DISADVANTAGE".  Of course, they also state that many of the teams (Falcons, Lions, etc) are awful teams and may have been just as awful if they had outdoor stadiums.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »
Chicago is a much different market than Milwaukee or Minneapolis/St. Paul. The Indians as well - plus the Jake is a much older / newer stadium.

Understood, still think baseball was meant to be played outside, not in a mall. I don't care for the domes, never will.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
I don't think the Vikings are as tough as they used to be.  In the old days they were gritty, played in a tough place and had no problem going to Chicago or Minnesota to do the same. 

So you mean they aren't as good as they used to be.

Bad is not soft, bad is bad. Has very little to do with being gritty.

If you don't like domes as a fan, fine, but keep that soft stuff outta here. There is just nothing to support it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »

This is just a bad football chiche.  While I do think that a dome means that you have to adjust your offensive and defenseive philosophies, such as Indianapolis' high powered attack on turf and Pittsburgh's grind it out on that crappy field they use, that doesn't equate to "tough" or "gritty."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2009, 08:16:34 AM »
Cosign on the Vikings went downhill with the Dome.

Pre-dome, the Vikings were the Purple People Eaters with 4 (albeit losing) trips to the Superbowl. 

Post-dome, we've had great talent, got to the NFC champ game once, but otherwise, been sub-mediocre in the playoffs.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »

Pre-dome, the Vikings were the Purple People Eaters with 4 (albeit losing) trips to the Superbowl. 

Post-dome, we've had great talent, got to the NFC champ game once, but otherwise, been sub-mediocre in the playoffs.

Of course that loss in the NFC Champonship came to another dome team. Maybe the Georgia Dome had some holes in it or something to make the Falcons better.

They have had the talent to be decent, and the coaching to be bad, nothing more. They could play on the moon and that wouldn't change.

Funny, the Packers playd at the very same Lambeau Field they play in today throughout the 70's and 80's and were beyond bad, and most assuredly not tough or gritty. Then during the 90's and into the 00's, they somehow became gritty and tough again, just like in the 60's. I'm sure its just coincidence that they had guys named Favre, White, Sharpe, Freeman, Butler, Holmgren...I guess those guys were just tougher than guys named Whitehurst, Hood, Huckelby, Campbell, and Infante.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2009, 08:43:27 AM »

Correlation without causation.  They moved into the dome about the same time Bud Grant retired and was replaced by a series of coaches like Les Steckel, Dennis Green and Mike Tice. 

They've lost three times in the NFC Championship game by the way since moving to the Dome.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »
Well excuuuuuuse me.  Didn't you know we are in an era of truthiness?  Stop showing me facts!  ;)

feedback