'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Women in Big East Championship  (Read 9525 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Women in Big East Championship
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 08:58:17 PM »
Luke Fischer has struck again.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
That’s pretty bad.  Feel bad for the ladies.

9 for 19 from line.  20 to 8 offensive boards for DePaul.

Airball by Sandy’s sister, who missed three layups in second half.

Question.  Is that their style of play, just run down the court, no shot clock management?  Man, they had lead but not use clock, just run down and shoot. 

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:16 PM »
Wow that looked familiar.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »
Wow. Tough loss.  JB, freethrowsmatta

9-19 at the line including an air ball from the player of the year.....and lose by 1.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 09:05:29 PM »
I've watched the women a few times now, and they play like they don't have a coach.  They just run up and down, take the first shot they come across even if its a long 2 with plenty of shot clock.  They are solely reliant on their talent.  I get it I get it that FT % isn't high on the list of importance when it comes to winning or losing most times, but it absolutely was the biggest reason tonight.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:19 PM »
Women's NCAA has the stupid advance the ball on a timeout rule, like the NBA? Gross.  I hope that doesn't come to men's.

I pray it does.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 09:09:27 PM »
I've watched the women a few times now, and they play like they don't have a coach.  They just run up and down, take the first shot they come across even if its a long 2 with plenty of shot clock.  They are solely reliant on their talent.  I get it I get it that FT % isn't high on the list of importance when it comes to winning or losing most times, but it absolutely was the biggest reason tonight.

Thats first game I watched and why I asked the question.  Believe they had 4 point lead and each time they had the ball, they shot within like 10 seconds.  Then the coach wasted a timeout, which if they had, would have given them the ball at half court.  The airball was just embarrassing for the shooter, felt terrible for her. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
That’s pretty bad.  Feel bad for the ladies.

9 for 19 from line.  20 to 8 offensive boards for DePaul.

Airball by Sandy’s sister, who missed three layups in second half.

Question.  Is that their style of play, just run down the court, no shot clock management?  Man, they had lead but not use clock, just run down and shoot.

Yes that's their style of play.  And while it was hard to get used to at first, they seem to have more trouble in a slow it down style when trying to kill some clock.

Way too many missed free throws and poor execution near the end.  With 10 seconds to go, I said just don't give  up a 3 or the AND 1 so at least all they can do is tie and they give up the AND 1.  They should have won that game and now it's 6 days until Selection Monday and there's a long time to stew on this loss.  This loss cost them any chance they had of hosting games at the Al also. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »
Thats first game I watched and why I asked the question.  Believe they had 4 point lead and each time they had the ball, they shot within like 10 seconds.  Then the coach wasted a timeout, which if they had, would have given them the ball at half court.  The airball was just embarrassing for the shooter, felt terrible for her.

Yeah I was really upset they had burned all their timeouts at the end - sure would have been nice to have advanced the ball there.

I've never seen Hiedeman shoot a free throw like that in her 4 years at MU...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
Yeah I was really upset they had burned all their timeouts at the end - sure would have been nice to have advanced the ball there.

I've never seen Hiedeman shoot a free throw like that in her 4 years at MU...

To paraphrase the great Gary Gaetti: "It's hard to shoot a free throw with both hands around your neck."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
It's obvious the women's team has the "yips" just like the men's team does..both went on late season slides, both can't hold late leads...there's obviously demons in the Al somewhere that is inflicting both programs right now
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 09:23:10 PM »
I pray it does.

I pray it doesn’t.  Dumbest rule in sports
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »
It's obvious the women's team has the "yips" just like the men's team does..both went on late season slides, both can't hold late leads...there's obviously demons in the Al somewhere that is inflicting both programs right now

The women’s team has had a rough go of injuries.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »

I completely disagree.

Davenport was their only post threat and went down with an ACL injury on Feb. 22nd (and I really think they win that game vs. Butler if she doesn't go down with that injury).  Dani King got hurt on March 1st and missed a game and despite what she said I don't think she's 100% still.  And Blockton probably isn't quite 100% yet after her injury. Yes they should have won this game and didn't execute well enough to do so but I don't think it was a late season slide.  Davenport was the player they could least afford to lose and outside of the game at Creighton I think they've done a pretty good job of adjusting to life without her until the last few minutes of this game.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »

I personally have liked the changes in the Women's game with going to quarters, eliminating the 1 and 1 and allowing the advancing of the ball late in the game with the timeout.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
The women’s team has had a rough go of injuries.

Not having Davenport killed them tonight.  There was no answer for Stonewall inside

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 09:36:33 PM »
Not having Davenport killed them tonight.  There was no answer for Stonewall inside

That and missing 10 free throws - they were 9 of 19 from the line.  I can't remember the last time they've shot that poorly from the line.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 10:12:52 PM »

Preach. I don't understand how that rule was ever created.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 10:17:18 PM »
Wow that looked familiar.

I didn't catch the game, but taking a look at the recap, it looks like it was eerily similar to the last 4 men's games. That's a tough one to lose, but at least they have the regular season championship to hang their hats on this year. And having the BEPOY can help take the sting off a little too.

Best of luck in the NCAAs!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »
I personally have liked the changes in the Women's game with going to quarters, eliminating the 1 and 1 and allowing the advancing of the ball late in the game with the timeout.

I don’t understand how form 98% of the game it is a territorial game of advancing the ball past half court and shooting a basketball, but the last two minutes if you have a timeout, all of that is thrown away. 

For no other reason to make it exciting, but you have just disadvantaged the other team as a result.  We ‘re putting excitement over the fundamental aspect of the game they just played the other 38 minutes.  Getting to advance a ball not because you did anything athletic, or even anything at all except call a timeout.  Ugh.  Bad bad bad
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:52 PM »

This is the style they play with and it has venefitted them greatly for tge last two years. Dont come on here and say u dont watch them n the criticize tgeir style if play.  Makes u sound like a total idiot.  They lost the game by missing FTs.  Missed both on a tech n all 3 on a foul on a 3.  Additionally they lost their center and a top all time rebounding girl in Davenport.  Van klunen is very poor and Anderson should get more time imo.  Depaul doesnt control tge paint like that with Davenport in the game.  Natisha is POY but Davenport may have been their MVP
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2019, 11:13:28 PM »

Correct on that Krieger called two timeouts in a row with a minute left.  Blew her two remain in one crack.  Hurt them after the offensive tebound n then with 5 secs left.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 11:15:09 PM »
Womans slide also while possibly their most important player blows a knee out 2-3 weeks ago

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 05:50:01 AM »
This is the style they play with and it has venefitted them greatly for tge last two years. Dont come on here and say u dont watch them n the criticize tgeir style if play.  Makes u sound like a total idiot.  They lost the game by missing FTs.  Missed both on a tech n all 3 on a foul on a 3.  Additionally they lost their center and a top all time rebounding girl in Davenport.  Van klunen is very poor and Anderson should get more time imo.  Depaul doesnt control tge paint like that with Davenport in the game.  Natisha is POY but Davenport may have been their MVP

Davenport was very underrated in my opinion and many people did not realize her importance to the team.  They didn't really miss a beat at all when last year's BE POY and all-time leading scorer Allazia Blockton went down with an injury for 5 games but I knew it would be different when Davenport was lost for the season.  They have no other reliable post players this year.  If only McCoy could have played this year too.  But there's nothing that can be done about Davenport's injury or McCoy's illness - they have to go on with what they have.  Hopefully they can still make a run in the NCAA Tournament.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 07:07:31 AM »
Davenport was very underrated in my opinion and many people did not realize her importance to the team.  They didn't really miss a beat at all when last year's BE POY and all-time leading scorer Allazia Blockton went down with an injury for 5 games but I knew it would be different when Davenport was lost for the season.  They have no other reliable post players this year.  If only McCoy could have played this year too.  But there's nothing that can be done about Davenport's injury or McCoy's illness - they have to go on with what they have.  Hopefully they can still make a run in the NCAA Tournament.

This team with a healthy Davenport, McCoy, and Blockton would have a legit shot at the Final Four.