Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of season contract extension for wojo?  (Read 15559 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: End of season contract extension for wojo?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2019, 08:46:26 AM »
You wanted him gone after the IU an Kansas games.   I think it is safe to assume you have judged.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
Pretty sure eye'm knot da only won. Game 3 of the losing streak and he duzant have an answer four the same mistakes made vs. Nova or Creighton. Caught wit his pants down and know point guard. Tell me watt y'all cee in Chartouny dat warrants a D1 schollie, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
Would you all of have fired a guy with an overall record of 85-65, Conference record of 28-42, 2 NCAA's (1 Win), and 1 NIT appearance after 5 years?

Wojo is 96-65, 43-46, 2 NCAA's (0 wins yet), and 1 NIT appearance.

By the way guy one was National Runner-Up in year 6.

Just curious who this coach is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2019, 08:50:57 AM »
You wanted him gone after the IU an Kansas games.   I think it is safe to assume you have judged.

Yeah, it's been a fun season so far Wojo-judgment-wise for some of our fun Scoopers.

After IU/KU, he had to go.

After 8-game winning streak/first Nova game, all kinds of mea culpas.

Now, he's gotta go again. We went 23-4 despite him, 0-3 because of him. Good stuff!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
C'mon Nads, ewe no ball well enough ta reelize da party's over. Da book is out on how ta beet MU and Wojo duzant have da roster or adjustments needed to make a minnow's splash in the Tourney, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:36 AM »
And this is where I completely disagree with you.    Nearly every team has a rough patch in conference.    The coaches there develop a book and a plan on how to beat teams seeing them twice a year.     Who has MU lost to outside the Big East?   IU at Assembly Hall in the first road game of the year and Kansas when they were ranked #1.    MU has beaten K-State, Louisville, Buffalo, Wisconsin.    Now, granted, the scouting reports are going to get better as the year goes on and anybody MU plays is going to theoretically know the template to beating MU.    But do they have the personnel?    Do they really understand what happens when Sam or Markus gets a step near the 3 pt line?

For all of the kvetching, MU is 15 minutes away from being 26-4.    MU is still one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the country.   MU has still been much improved defensively, even in the losses.    MU still has Howard.   I am not saying MU wins the championship or goes out in the first round.  #crapshoot.    What I am saying is I like our chances as much as I like all but a few teams in the country because of what MU has and what they have accomplished.     Losing 3 straight the way MU has sucks.   But in all 3 games, MU led after 35 minutes.    Teams that haven't seen or played MU are not going to be able to do what these last 3 teams have done.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
Just curious who this coach is.

Coach K.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »
Team can finish no worse than 2nd in the Big East.  Going to NCAA tournament.  Possible that every player of significance back next year, he will receive a raise and extension.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

burger

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
WOJO makes $1.75......

He is in the lower tier of Big East  Coaches......

Add a year extension and bump his pay to $2.25 across the board......

That is where Willard is at......(Scarey)

Even scarier......have a seat......Ewing makes what?????any guesses.....

PS.....Highest in the Big East.....Will follow up in an hour or 2 with the answer......

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »
Team can finish no worse than 2nd in the Big East.  Going to NCAA tournament.  Possible that every player of significance back next year, he will receive a raise and extension.

firing Wojo after a 2nd place finish (even in a down year for the Big East), being ranked top 10 for a few weeks during the season and making the tourney, probably as a 5 or 6 seed, 96 (likely more) wins in five years after taking over a cesspool of an environment, program trending upwards, would scare off potential coaches.  There are jobs with the reputation of being a place you can't win, MU would get the reputation that expectations are WAY too high and unreasonable.

I know we fired Deane who had 100 wins in five years but that was justified because the program trajectory was trending downward. Once he got his own guys on the roster he was under .500 and recruiting was brutally bad (one signee during the 1998-99 signing year: Krunti Hester, ranked top 20 in Indiana). Wojo has trended upwards. Wojo is not getting fired.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
Barring some unforeseen calamitous event, there is zero chance that Wojo is fired any time soon.    There is a chance, however small,  that Duke tries to grab him when K retires.    Ergo, the statement is completely true.   
I thought you meant if Duke was looking for a coach now. There is a 0% chance Wojo would get the job if they were; hence as of today he is closer to being fired than being Duke's next coach.

Coach K isn't going to retire for 5+ years. I'd love for Wojo to be the top candidate in the future because it will mean he has continued to grow as a coach and MU will have had big success. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
Every year has played out as expected for the most part. Really not sure why we would be firing Wojo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
I thought you meant if Duke was looking for a coach now. There is a 0% chance Wojo would get the job if they were; hence as of today he is closer to being fired than being Duke's next coach.

Coach K isn't going to retire for 5+ years. I'd love for Wojo to be the top candidate in the future because it will mean he has continued to grow as a coach and MU will have had big success.
there is a better chance in this off-season that K retire than Wojo gets fired.  Both approach absolute zero.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
And this is where I completely disagree with you.    Nearly every team has a rough patch in conference.    The coaches there develop a book and a plan on how to beat teams seeing them twice a year.     Who has MU lost to outside the Big East?   IU at Assembly Hall in the first road game of the year and Kansas when they were ranked #1.    MU has beaten K-State, Louisville, Buffalo, Wisconsin.    Now, granted, the scouting reports are going to get better as the year goes on and anybody MU plays is going to theoretically know the template to beating MU.    But do they have the personnel?    Do they really understand what happens when Sam or Markus gets a step near the 3 pt line?

For all of the kvetching, MU is 15 minutes away from being 26-4.    MU is still one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the country.   MU has still been much improved defensively, even in the losses.    MU still has Howard.   I am not saying MU wins the championship or goes out in the first round.  #crapshoot.    What I am saying is I like our chances as much as I like all but a few teams in the country because of what MU has and what they have accomplished.     Losing 3 straight the way MU has sucks.   But in all 3 games, MU led after 35 minutes.    Teams that haven't seen or played MU are not going to be able to do what these last 3 teams have done.

Superbly stated.

C'mon Nads, ewe no ball well enough ta reelize da party's over. Da book is out on how ta beet MU and Wojo duzant have da roster or adjustments needed to make a minnow's splash in the Tourney, hey?

Nads due knot no dat ... and neether doo yoo. Nads don't hafta goh bak and find wat ewe wuz sayin' after IU and KU, due eye? Pretty shoor it wuzn't a predikshun of 23 winz & sekund in BEast. (Ouch. My brain hurts now.)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 05:25:26 PM »
firing Wojo after a 2nd place finish (even in a down year for the Big East), being ranked top 10 for a few weeks during the season and making the tourney, probably as a 5 or 6 seed, 96 (likely more) wins in five years after taking over a cesspool of an environment, program trending upwards, would scare off potential coaches.  There are jobs with the reputation of being a place you can't win, MU would get the reputation that expectations are WAY too high and unreasonable.

I know we fired Deane who had 100 wins in five years but that was justified because the program trajectory was trending downward. Once he got his own guys on the roster he was under .500 and recruiting was brutally bad (one signee during the 1998-99 signing year: Krunti Hester, ranked top 20 in Indiana). Wojo has trended upwards. Wojo is not getting fired.
Yessir, Wojo over the past several games is "trending upward" Yesiree Bob!!!!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »
Superbly stated.

Nads due knot no dat ... and neether doo yoo. Nads don't hafta goh bak and find wat ewe wuz sayin' after IU and KU, due eye? Pretty shoor it wuzn't a predikshun of 23 winz & sekund in BEast. (Ouch. My brain hurts now.)

Watt happened 2 months ago don't meen stink. How wee lookin' in March, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 06:13:16 PM »
I am not a huge Wojo fan by any stretch (but warming up to him), but there is no way he deserves to be fired.   If anything, as a young coach this is when we should start evaluating him.  I think the next three to four years will tell us what kind of coach he will be.  The one thing I would love is to have a long term coach at our school.  This rebuilding thing every five or so years is kinda ridiculous.  Let's keep Wojo and if in the next three to four years he substantially under performs, then look to move on.

Besides, kinda silly to fire a winning coach who is getting better with each passing year unless you have a for sure thing that is going to replace him.  At this point I don't think that is the case.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 06:18:18 PM »
WOJO makes $1.75......

He is in the lower tier of Big East  Coaches......

Source?

#FakeNews #Lies
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »
Because Duke is likely going to want a coach from the K tree.    Because Brey isn't coming, Snyder has too much baggage, and Wojo is more successful than Collins.   

why is Duke likely to want a member of the K family tree?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »

Watt happened 2 months ago don't meen stink. How wee lookin' in March, hey?

Just sayin' that your prediction record ain't the greatest, ho?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2019, 08:23:11 PM »
Yes, contract extension....doesn't he have a rollover year added auto?  I think I said they would be a second place Big East team, that's what it looks like.  No off court issues, good recruits coming in, ranked most of the year.  Is this even a question?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
Yes, contract extension....doesn't he have a rollover year added auto?  I think I said they would be a second place Big East team, that's what it looks like.  No off court issues, good recruits coming in, ranked most of the year.  Is this even a question?

It shouldn't be. But we lost more than zero games this season and we aren't going to the final four and we didn't win the big east. So, people want blood.

Oh, and also the same people who haven't liked wojo for years get to pile on again.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2019, 08:45:38 PM »
So yo, I like him bedder dan Crean. Butt, he lives in a result driven world. Know style points four "he's tryin' hard," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »
So yo, I like him bedder dan Crean. Butt, he lives in a result driven world. Know style points four "he's tryin' hard," hey?

23-7 results upsetting to you tho?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
For me, coaches need to win in March. November, December, January, and February no matta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback