[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier Highlights and Wojo Press Conference  (Read 14087 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Xavier Highlights and Wojo Press Conference
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »
I think people are kidding themselves if they think Wojo would turn down the Duke job.

But also think people are kidding themselves if they think Wojo will be the top candidate for the Duke job. Could be but there will be a lot of top candidates for the job. In the Duke coaching tree, I would think Capel before Wojo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2019, 09:39:08 AM »
If Coach K left, my expectation would be that Wojo would take it, but I don't think it's automatic. At the 100th banquet, Crean talked extensively about his affinity for Marquette and also how much he had come to appreciate the "grass isn't always greener" aspect of leaving a program like this for a blue blood. Wojo might go, honestly I think he'd probably go, but it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed. I think the ability to create something special exists here and might actually be easier than trying to fill K's shoes.

Crean had more success than failure at MU. His leaving was his decision. He had more failure than success at IU. He was fired. So in retrospect he questions his decision. Every guy on a successful TV sitcom wants to be in the movies. The ones who get the opportunity and succeed never look back. The ones who fail wonder why they ever left. Human nature 101.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
If Duke came calling, it would be tough for Wojo to turn it down. He would not get another shot at it.   That said, Duke is not that much bigger a school in terms of students, and Wojo might think he could build a similar program here at MU, with consistent contention for top 19 and national championships.  Why not?   Success breeds success.   He just might think he can create his own Duke at MU
But it would be very tempting. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »
It all comes down to recruiting.
When you are after a kid for two years and traveling all over the country to watch him, having to tell Mom that her meatloaf was the best you’ve ever had, texting the kid on an almost daily basis, and then........at the end of your courtship.........Duke swoops in and offers the kid. The kid says...ya know it’s Duke, it’s a blueblood.....thanks for your interest but I’m going to Duke.
So, then consider if you(Wojo) could be in Duke’s position when your brand alone means you can garnish interest from the top 20 kids in the country, exclusively by your name.
I’m sure every coach in the country would want that opportunity —to advance your agenda/life/season/career.
Secondly, it’s not KU or UNC, etc.
Wojo played at Duke. He won at Duke. He won as a coach at Duke. His legacy is closely tied to a b-ball legend. He has a love for Duke that you can hear in his interviews.
That being said, I think Wojo sees what MU is...and can be. MU is a school that has a history of success and Wojo knows we love a winner. If he wins here, he will be remembered long after he is gone.
I think he stays for awhile and gets his name in the MU bball history books.......and maybe a street named after him!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2019, 10:14:40 AM »
Wasn’t Wojo getting fired after this year?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
Wasn’t Wojo getting fired after this year?
After he had the audacity to lose to Indiana, Kansas, and SJU, yes. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
It all comes down to recruiting.
When you are after a kid for two years and traveling all over the country to watch him, having to tell Mom that her meatloaf was the best you’ve ever had, texting the kid on an almost daily basis, and then........at the end of your courtship.........Duke swoops in and offers the kid. The kid says...ya know it’s Duke, it’s a blueblood.....thanks for your interest but I’m going to Duke.
So, then consider if you(Wojo) could be in Duke’s position when your brand alone means you can garnish interest from the top 20 kids in the country, exclusively by your name.
I’m sure every coach in the country would want that opportunity —to advance your agenda/life/season/career.
Secondly, it’s not KU or UNC, etc.
Wojo played at Duke. He won at Duke. He won as a coach at Duke. His legacy is closely tied to a b-ball legend. He has a love for Duke that you can hear in his interviews.
That being said, I think Wojo sees what MU is...and can be. MU is a school that has a history of success and Wojo knows we love a winner. If he wins here, he will be remembered long after he is gone.
I think he stays for awhile and gets his name in the MU bball history books.......and maybe a street named after him!

The key question is, "Is Duke the blueblood or is Coach K the blueblood?"  Will the same recruits still flock to Duke at the expense of long-established relationships at other top conference schools if Coach K is no longer the coach?  I honestly don't know, but there's got to be a pretty good chance they won't, right?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »
Good point. I believe Duke is a blueblood brand which will take awhile to lose that distinction. I also think with Coach K possibility hand picking his successor, he will still be involved with the program in some capacity—-calling recruits, showing up at the official visit dinner, etc.
I don’t know either.