[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Offseason 2018  (Read 4495 times)

wadesworld

• All American
NBA Offseason 2018
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
With what I assume are most people on this sites' favorite NBA teams in their offseason now I figured I'd start a thread because I think this could be a gigantic offseason with a couple new "super teams."  Thought I'd start with some superstar players that I think realistically could move this offseason and where I think they might end up.

LBJ: 1) Houston 2) Philly 3) LAL (if Paul George is going there AND they can somehow find a way to sneak Chris Paul away from Houston...)
Paul George: 1) LAL 2) Philly

Quite positive KD stays with GS.  I think CP3 stays in Houston and LBJ joins him, but wouldn't be entirely shocked if they went to LA together, especially if the Rockets can only take 0 or 1 game off of GS.  I think the Pelicans resign Boogie, but actually don't think they should.  I think Houston would be nuts not to match any offer sheet Capella gets.

I think the most likely situation for Kawhi is the Spurs somehow convince him that they're the best spot for him going forward and lay out a plan to get some help that he buys into, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kawhi ended up on the Celtics for a package of something like Rozier, Smart, and one of Brown/Tatum.  And I think you could see Marc Gasol traded, though I'm not sure where (please Bucks...).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA Offseason 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 11:34:40 PM »
As far as the Bucks offseason goes:

Pipe Dream Coaching hire: Jay Wright accepts a blank check and the opportunity to coach Giannis.
Who I'd like that I think they could realistically get: 1) Monte Williams, 2) Doc, 3/4) Kevin McHale/David Fizdale
Who I think they'll hire: Fizdale or Jeff Van Gundy.  I don't think these owners care one bit about anything beyond getting a recognizable name in that spot.

Pipe Dream Moves: This one's not even worth mentioning because it's more than a pipe dream, but I'd give up anybody not named Giannis to see Giannis and Kawhi playing next to each other.  A package of Bledsoe, sign and trade Jabari, Thon, and a pick for Kawhi.  I don't think that gets Kawhi and I'm not sure you can even make a package that includes a sign and trade, but it'd be awesome.  This one is also a pipe dream but at least could be worth if to both teams, Marc Gasol for a sign and trade Jabari, Thon, and a pick.  I wouldn't give up Middleton to get Gasol and I don't see why the Grizz would want Bledsoe when they have Conley.

What I want to happen that could be realistic: 1) Find quality pieces in a sign and trade for Jabari.  Not sure what that would be, but some sort of shooter. 2) Find someone who would take on one of Delly's or Henson's (preferably) contracts if we give them Bledsoe.  3) Get out of Telle's contract.  4) Sign Danny Green.  Wouldn't hate Wesley Matthews for the right price either.

What I think the Bucks actually do: 1) Match an offer sheet someone gives to Jabari.  2) Get out of Telle's contract.  3) Make very minor moves that make no difference.  4) Roll out essentially the same lineup going into next season and have the 4th or 5th best team in the East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:46:52 AM »
The Bucks are pretty much toast.  Giving out contracts to Delly, Henson, and Snell have completely hamstrung the Bucks.  To think, they could have preserved cap space to lure a max level player to play with Giannis.

Don't think the Spurs move Leonard for that package.  Tatum, Brown, and a pick might do it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
I think the most likely situation for Kawhi is the Spurs somehow convince him that they're the best spot for him going forward and lay out a plan to get some help that he buys into, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kawhi ended up on the Celtics for a package of something like Rozier, Smart, and one of Brown/Tatum.  And I think you could see Marc Gasol traded, though I'm not sure where (please Bucks...).

Several local articles - and a couple of national ones - suggest that if the Hornets decide they won't be able to sign Kemba after this season (his walk year), they might be interested in some kind of Kemba-for-Kawhi deal that obviously would include other players and maybe a third team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
I think the Bucks should look at Mike Budenholzer.

I'm also wondering if tinkering around the edges is all the Bucks should try to do at this point for next year.  They year after they have Bledsoe's contract coming off the books, and the other contracts will be much more appetizing by that point as well. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
I think the Bucks should look at Mike Budenholzer.

I'm also wondering if tinkering around the edges is all the Bucks should try to do at this point for next year.  They year after they have Bledsoe's contract coming off the books, and the other contracts will be much more appetizing by that point as well.

Very much agree, except I think everyone feels like we're on a 3 year clock with Giannis and in reality that is a 2-2.5 year clock.  So the above plan asks you to throw away 1 year of the clock.  That's a big gamble unless you believe Giannis will never leave.

I do like your Bud idea.  I'm convinced it is Doc and that really scares me.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
The Bucks are pretty much toast.  Giving out contracts to Delly, Henson, and Snell have completely hamstrung the Bucks.  To think, they could have preserved cap space to lure a max level player to play with Giannis.

Don't think the Spurs move Leonard for that package.  Tatum, Brown, and a pick might do it.

I can't imagine the Celtics giving up both Brown and Tatum for Kawhi going into the last year of his contract unless Kawhi agrees to an extension.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »
Very much agree, except I think everyone feels like we're on a 3 year clock with Giannis and in reality that is a 2-2.5 year clock.  So the above plan asks you to throw away 1 year of the clock.  That's a big gamble unless you believe Giannis will never leave.

I do like your Bud idea.  I'm convinced it is Doc and that really scares me.

Part of my hope is that a competent coach/scheme allows the players to fit better together. It wouldn’t be a championship roster, but also wouldn’t feel like they are punting a year. Like you said, I’m not sure Doc is the right guy for the job.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
I can't imagine the Celtics giving up both Brown and Tatum for Kawhi going into the last year of his contract unless Kawhi agrees to an extension.

I agree, wades. The Celtics would be insane to do that. Those 2 might be All-Stars for years and Kawhi is coming off this weird injury in which he comes off looking like a pud. Plus he's due $20M+ each of the next 2 years. That's a lot of question marks to acquire even for a team that wouldn't be giving up two potential studs.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »

Can't imagine the Celtics would ever trade both Brown and Tatum for a player who just missed an entire season due to injury.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »
As far as the Bucks offseason goes:

Good thoughts, Wades. I have similar thinking. Doc seems like the coach that makes the most splash and has a good "back to where it began" story, but I'm not sure he's as good a fit for this team as a quieter hire like Monte Williams of Fizdale. They're both younger guys that seem like a really good fit for the Bucks relatively young, awkwardly fitting pieces.

I also see them retaining Jabari.  With the cap sheet as it sits, that would basically spell the end of them ever pairing another big contract with Giannis, yes? (At least without dealing otherwise very good contracts like Middleton?)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 02:29:06 PM »
I don't know enough about how the cap works to really answer that.  I know many teams are now "over the cap" just like the Bucks, but I don't know what that means regarding flexibility.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »
Can't imagine the Celtics would ever trade both Brown and Tatum for a player who just missed an entire season due to injury.

I agree but I don't think the Spurs are just going to give Kawhi away either.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
I agree but I don't think the Spurs are just going to give Kawhi away either.

They probably won't. So they'll have to find a different trading partner.

Doc seems like the coach that makes the most splash and has a good "back to where it began" story, but I'm not sure he's as good a fit for this team as a quieter hire like Monte Williams of Fizdale.

There's nothing quiet about Fizdale, though I think I understand what you're saying.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
I think Kawhi ends up with the 76ers personally. They got the picks Pop would want.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »

There's nothing quiet about Fizdale, though I think I understand what you're saying.

Agreed, not in personality, more in the "splashiness" of the hire. Announcing David Fizdale would result in a "who?" from 90% of casual fans.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
I think Kawhi ends up with the 76ers personally. They got the picks Pop would want.

Agreed, they could offer some combination of Covington/Redick/Bellinelli and  Lakers/Kings picks. Those are Spurs-type players on nice contracts with high pick kickers. Rare win-win for both teams

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »
Doc doesn't want to be just a coach and I hope the Bucks learned their lesson giving Kidd so much input on personnel. I think they hire Budenholzer if he doesn't take the Knicks job.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773642-nba-rumors-bucks-to-pursue-knicks-hc-candidate-mike-budenholzer

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »
I actually think the guy the Hornets just fired, Steve Clifford, is a good coach and is respected by NBA players. For example, Dwight Howard had done nothing for 2 seasons and Clifford got a very good year out of him. The Hornets have a flawed roster and also had all kinds of injury issues this season; I understand why Jordan fired him - he hired a new GM (Kupchak) and he wants the GM to choose his own coach - but I wanted Clifford to be retained.

Good guy, too.

The Bucks (or any number of other teams looking for a coach) could do a lot worse.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »
Woj tweeted today that the Bucks planning to cast a wide net and interview Clifford, Budenholzer, Monty Williams, Fizdale, David Blatt, and more. Good to keep options open, but I hope there's a pretty solid power ranking of those guys and that its not a "lets see who really impresses us in the interview" type of thing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
I don't like most things Bleacher Report does.....but this is fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH0NCnqKwmM
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
Bucks interviewing Clifford, Messina, and Monty Williams.  I'd be happy if those are the 3 finalists for the job.

But I wouldn't count on that being the 3 finalists.  After all, the last big hire this front office made they named 3 finalists for the GM job, 2 of those finalists took other positions, and then the Bucks hired someone that was not the third finalist.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:34:13 AM by wadesworld »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »
Bucks interviewing Clifford, Messina, and Monty Williams.  I'd be happy if those are the 3 finalists for the job.

But I wouldn't count on that being the 3 finalists.  After all, the last big hire this front office made they named 3 finalists for the GM job, 2 of those finalists took other positions, and then the Bucks hired someone that was not the third finalist.

Sounds like they are interviewing around 10 in the first round.

feedback