'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jameel McKay: Still Growing...Awesome  (Read 12627 times)

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: Jameel McKay: Still Growing...Awesome
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »
with shoes on?

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »
His tweet says "close to 6" 10 wow" are we sure he's talking about his height? Hey now.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
Add those two up and you're in my ballpark.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
At the first night of the pro am, I posted that I saw him standing with Juan Anderson and if Juan was 6' 6" McKay was at least 6'9" or 10". I also posted that he was the most exciting player I saw at the pro am. Someone questioned how that could be, since he did not play, which I did not respond to. He seemed to have a great personality, I liked his hair style (which I would not have like prior to Crowder), although too thin he looked like he could run by anyone on the floor and looked like he was 6'10". He needs to be stronger, but the prospect of him in an MU uniform playing with that height and projected quickness made me very excited about seeing him play. I may be getting to excited about him, but he looks like he could be a really special player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
If Otule is still around, we are going to have the tallest team that we have had in years in 2013-14.  Otule...Gardner...McKay...Wilson...Taylor....

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Wow.  It does get you excited thinking about all that Marquette height!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
With or without shoes.... ;)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:21 PM »
With or without shoes.... ;)
Both Andeson and McKay had their shoes on. Anderson plus 4 inches.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 04:26:45 PM »
HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!

"I'm 6 foot 8 and a half WITHOUT shoes"

That puts him at close to 6'10" in shoes....AKA NBA height!!!

This signing just grew bigger!!!

........now close to 6'11" in shoes???.........GOOD GOD!  :o

But probably just talking about his new listed height with shoes......STILL AWESOME!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:35:37 PM by TheBuzzsaw »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
At the first night of the pro am, I posted that I saw him standing with Juan Anderson and if Juan was 6' 6" McKay was at least 6'9" or 10". I also posted that he was the most exciting player I saw at the pro am. Someone questioned how that could be, since he did not play, which I did not respond to. He seemed to have a great personality, I liked his hair style (which I would not have like prior to Crowder), although too thin he looked like he could run by anyone on the floor and looked like he was 6'10". He needs to be stronger, but the prospect of him in an MU uniform playing with that height and projected quickness made me very excited about seeing him play. I may be getting to excited about him, but he looks like he could be a really special player.

Hey, that can only help with Diamond Stone.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
McKay's teammate at Indian Hills CC Michael Haynes was shot and killed yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8204619/iona-gaels-recruit-michael-haynes-shot-killed-chicago

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
I think Jameel's workout video is worth another look now that he's 6'10".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzc-jFEHl8

He may have more upside than anyone on the roster next year.  A very real possibility that MU will have another Juco POY. 6'10" very athletic and skilled
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:12:43 PM by TheBuzzsaw »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »
Needs major build up in his body weight and strength. His body has to be able to withstand some minutes and pounding in the Big East. The Big East is not the City Conference or JUCO...will have issues boxing out and bodying up if he does not get with Todd I think it is the strength and conditioning coach. But he knows that I bet and seems like a good kid. Very upbeat and free spirit but it would be interesting to see what his game face looks like. I want to see the beast mode come out when the games start and see how tough he is. MU is known for being Texas tough of tough in general. I hope this kid is not soft. We'll see. Very interested in his vertical or if he like Jamil sometimes does, shy away from contact. That can't be coached.You either are able and willing to mix it up and show some physicality or you are not. See Devante Gardner. He does...     

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 06:14:39 AM »
Very interested in his vertical or if he like Jamil sometimes does, shy away from contact. That can't be coached.You either are able and willing to mix it up and show some physicality or you are not. See Devante Gardner. He does...

Disagreed. Many guys shy away from contact because they either don't have the body for it or simply aren't used to taking a pounding enough. The way Buzz batters guys and forces them to run to the hoop through body shields, I think you can learn that. Especially once a guy starts to get bigger and stronger and realizes that he isn't going to take the beating he once did.

I think most times it's a form of fear, and a good coach can definitely teach you to overcome your fears.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 06:51:14 AM »
Disagreed. Many guys shy away from contact because they either don't have the body for it or simply aren't used to taking a pounding enough. The way Buzz batters guys and forces them to run to the hoop through body shields, I think you can learn that. Especially once a guy starts to get bigger and stronger and realizes that he isn't going to take the beating he once did.

I think most times it's a form of fear, and a good coach can definitely teach you to overcome your fears.

Yep.  The college game is full of big men that shy away from contact early in their careers only to work on it and become more physical.  I think we will see that more from Jamil this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »
Yes McKay needs to get stronger, but he also is not a center. He could end up playing the three.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see McKay guarding centers when he is a senior.  Unless we recruit a 2014 stud...or a JUCO transfer...who else is it going to be?  Maybe Steve Taylor....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
Steve Taylor definitely has the body to cover a 5.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
Steve Taylor definitely has the body to cover a 5.

Sounds like we had better all watch our 6!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
I would expect Buzz to bring in a thick player in 2014.  All the pieces are in the puzzle at the other positions.  Taylor, McKay, Burton, DWilson, that is 4 potential starters.  Add another
guard next year or two with Anderson and Ferguson as small forwards, Buzz will need to bring in 2 big bodies for 2014.  A Juco can for sure see he could start in 2014, the spot will be open.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:05 AM »
Needs major build up in his body weight and strength. His body has to be able to withstand some minutes and pounding in the Big East. The Big East is not the City Conference or JUCO...will have issues boxing out and bodying up if he does not get with Todd I think it is the strength and conditioning coach. But he knows that I bet and seems like a good kid. Very upbeat and free spirit but it would be interesting to see what his game face looks like. I want to see the beast mode come out when the games start and see how tough he is. MU is known for being Texas tough of tough in general. I hope this kid is not soft. We'll see. Very interested in his vertical or if he like Jamil sometimes does, shy away from contact. That can't be coached.You either are able and willing to mix it up and show some physicality or you are not. See Devante Gardner. He does...    

Who on a MU basketball roster would not get with Todd Smith?  I'm pretty certain that it's mandatory.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:14:11 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:11 AM »
Who on a MU basketball roster would not get with Todd Smith?  I'm pretty certain that it's mandatory.

Probably depends on your definition of "get with"...  :-X
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »
come on now, this isn't penn state  ;)