[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable  (Read 29450 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »
Not to mention there are bake shops where you can get pretty much any food item with it in there. Its a Godsend to cancer patients, and that's not hyperbole. Zero carcinogens.

Yup, of course scientists at the NCI (National Cancer Institute) believe there are better options, but that would take the fun out of it.

Patients who suffer from certain diseases, such as cancer, can benefit from marijuana. The beneficial effects can be obtained by ingesting the substance, rather than inhaling. Cancer as well as its treatment with chemotherapy is associated with side effects such as nausea, vomiting, anorexia (loss of appetite) and cachexia (muscle-wasting). Marijuana is very effective in reducing these symptoms; therefore, it has been prescribed (or recommended) for cancer patients. However, the opinion of scientists at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) is that pharmaceuticals are available, which are superior to marijuana. These include: serotonin antagonists such as ondansetron (Zofran®) and granisetron (Kytril®), used alone or combined with dexamethasone (a steroid hormone); metoclopramide (Reglan®) combined with diphenhydramine and dexamethasone; methylprednisolone (a steroid hormone) combined with droperidol (Inapsine®); and prochlorperazine (Compazine®).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
Yup, of course scientists at the NCI (National Cancer Institute) believe there are better options, but that would take the fun out of it.

Patients who suffer from certain diseases, such as cancer, can benefit from marijuana. The beneficial effects can be obtained by ingesting the substance, rather than inhaling. Cancer as well as its treatment with chemotherapy is associated with side effects such as nausea, vomiting, anorexia (loss of appetite) and cachexia (muscle-wasting). Marijuana is very effective in reducing these symptoms; therefore, it has been prescribed (or recommended) for cancer patients. However, the opinion of scientists at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) is that pharmaceuticals are available, which are superior to marijuana. These include: serotonin antagonists such as ondansetron (Zofran®) and granisetron (Kytril®), used alone or combined with dexamethasone (a steroid hormone); metoclopramide (Reglan®) combined with diphenhydramine and dexamethasone; methylprednisolone (a steroid hormone) combined with droperidol (Inapsine®); and prochlorperazine (Compazine®).

If you know anything about chemotherapy or medicine in general its that people respond differently to different medicines.

Some pharmaceuticals will do the job just fine for some patients, but some will not respond. Sometimes THC is literally the only way to induce appetite in cancer or AIDS patients. It should be an option for those who need it. Not to mention the price of an 1/8 ounce of marijuana ($40 or so) compared to a single perscription of any of the above medications makes it an obvious choice for some individuals. Cost of care should be a consideration, as our healthcare costs spiral out of control.

But obviously, there is no capacity for you to see things in shades of gray, so this discussion is fruitless.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:12:14 AM by Bleuteaux »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
I would never throw a hormone into my body if there was something else available.  I would also recommend the same for anyone else.

The side effects alone from hormones as terrifying.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
If you know anything about chemotherapy or medicine in general its that people respond differently to different medicines.

Some pharmaceuticals will do the job just fine for some patients, but some will not respond. Sometimes THC is literally the only way to induce appetite in cancer or AIDS patients. It should be an option for those who need it. Not to mention the price of an 1/8 ounce of marijuana ($40 or so) compared to a single perscription of any of the above medications makes it an obvious choice for some individuals. Cost of care should be a consideration, as our healthcare costs spiral out of control.

But obviously, there is no capacity for you to see things in shades of gray, so this discussion is fruitless.

I see plenty of things in gray.  My wife has glaucoma, one of the treatments is weed.  Please, before you pretend to know what others are going through or what shades of gray they see, you may want to hold back.

And yes, having cancer throughout the family, I'm quite aware of the side effects of chemo and how some people respond differently. 

The problem is, a lot of people abuse the system...something one ideology knows all to well with welfare and such.  Like the example I gave at the concert the other day.  The lady in front of me was joking around...."Hope you don't mind, I need to smoke this for medical reasons <then a laugh> which isn't true because I faked to get the prescription".   

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
I see plenty of things in gray.  My wife has glaucoma, one of the treatments is weed.  Please, before you pretend to know what others are going through or what shades of gray they see, you may want to hold back.

And yes, having cancer throughout the family, I'm quite aware of the side effects of chemo and how some people respond differently.  

The problem is, a lot of people abuse the system...something one ideology knows all to well with welfare and such.  Like the example I gave at the concert the other day.  The lady in front of me was joking around...."Hope you don't mind, I need to smoke this for medical reasons <then a laugh> which isn't true because I faked to get the prescription".  

Fair enough. There is abuse. But I'd rather have 100 people abuse the system so one person can get what they need to survive.

Cancer has touched just about everyone. It is behind the defensiveness in my response, so I apologize for my tone.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:20:06 AM by Bleuteaux »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
I see plenty of things in gray.  My wife has glaucoma, one of the treatments is weed.  Please, before you pretend to know what others are going through or what shades of gray they see, you may want to hold back.

The problem is, a lot of people abuse the system...something one ideology knows all to well with welfare and such.  Like the example I gave at the concert the other day.  The lady in front of me was joking around...."Hope you don't mind, I need to smoke this for medical reasons <then a laugh> which isn't true because I faked to get the prescription".   

So legalize it, tax the hell out of it (like cigarettes), and have the same smoking rules apply as do cigarettes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Fair enough. There is abuse. But I'd rather have 100 people abuse the system so one person can get what they need to survive.

Cancer has touched just about everyone. It is behind the defensiveness in my response, so I apologize for my tone.

That's the problem and the perfect  mindset of  liberal thinking.  Captured perfectly.   "I don't care if 100 people abuse <welfare - insert> so one person gets it" (even those of us that have to pay for all that abuse, while those abusing pay nothing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:28 AM »
That's the problem and the perfect  mindset of  liberal thinking.  Captured perfectly.   "I don't care if 100 people abuse <welfare - insert> so one person gets it" (even those of us that have to pay for all that abuse, while those abusing pay nothing.

Except this abuse doesn't cost you anything. It is not analogous to welfare.

How does one person smoking weed from a medical prescription at an Eagles concert take money out of your wallet?

brandx

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Millions of people smoke it every day.  At the Eagles concert a few weeks ago the entire row in front of me had joints lit by middle of song one until eventually an usher came over with a cop and had them stop.  That lasted about 5 songs, rinse, repeat.  A guy about 6 seats over eventually got them kicked out as his wife was having some kind of bad reaction to all the second hand smoke.

Quit complaining - just lean forward and maybe you can get a cheap high ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
Millions of people smoke it every day.  At the Eagles concert a few weeks ago the entire row in front of me had joints lit by middle of song one until eventually an usher came over with a cop and had them stop.  That lasted about 5 songs, rinse, repeat.  A guy about 6 seats over eventually got them kicked out as his wife was having some kind of bad reaction to all the second hand smoke.

Welcome to the Hotel California.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
I would never throw a hormone into my body if there was something else available.  I would also recommend the same for anyone else.

The side effects alone from hormones as terrifying.

Q: How do ya make a hormone?

A: Don't pay her.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
So legalize it, tax the hell out of it (like cigarettes), and have the same smoking rules apply as do cigarettes.

The solution to everything...legalize it, tax it.

:o

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
The solution to everything...legalize it, tax it.

:o

Yeah, that's what I was saying. ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
Except this abuse doesn't cost you anything. It is not analogous to welfare.

How does one person smoking weed from a medical prescription at an Eagles concert take money out of your wallet?

Really?  So any health issues caused, short or long term don't impact other people?    How about their own quality of life having to inhale that stuff?  Why is it that the guy 6 seats over and his wife had to inhale that, when it is against the law for someone to smoke cigarettes to prevent the very same thing...ingestion of second hand smoke?  Or does weed from a medical prescription not emit smoke?   ;)    I haven't even gotten to the part where they got behind the wheel later that night...what could have been the ramifications there?  Can those lead to financial injuries for someone?  Of course.

Just because there isn't an immediate impact to my wallet, doesn't mean there isn't an impact eventually and certainly that person being rude can impact someone else's quality of life right then and there.  What if later that night a cop pulls one of us over for a broken tail light, we all stink of pot because of the clowns in front of us.  Nothing we did wrong, but we get to go through a fun song and dance with Barney Fife.  So on and so forth.  There are always ramifications to every action taken.  Directly or indirectly, some obvious and some not so obvious. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2014, 12:07:30 AM »
Really?  So any health issues caused, short or long term don't impact other people?    How about their own quality of life having to inhale that stuff?  Why is it that the guy 6 seats over and his wife had to inhale that, when it is against the law for someone to smoke cigarettes to prevent the very same thing...ingestion of second hand smoke?  Or does weed from a medical prescription not emit smoke?   ;)    I haven't even gotten to the part where they got behind the wheel later that night...what could have been the ramifications there?  Can those lead to financial injuries for someone?  Of course.

Just because there isn't an immediate impact to my wallet, doesn't mean there isn't an impact eventually and certainly that person being rude can impact someone else's quality of life right then and there.  What if later that night a cop pulls one of us over for a broken tail light, we all stink of pot because of the clowns in front of us.  Nothing we did wrong, but we get to go through a fun song and dance with Barney Fife.  So on and so forth.  There are always ramifications to every action taken.  Directly or indirectly, some obvious and some not so obvious.  

So ban it in public. Arrest those who drive under the influence. Treat it like alcohol and cigarettes.

You still haven't answered my question. If consumed in private, how is it hurting you?

How is it analogous to welfare? Still waiting for you to clarify that one...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
Really?  So any health issues caused, short or long term don't impact other people?    How about their own quality of life having to inhale that stuff?  Why is it that the guy 6 seats over and his wife had to inhale that, when it is against the law for someone to smoke cigarettes to prevent the very same thing...ingestion of second hand smoke?  Or does weed from a medical prescription not emit smoke?   ;)    I haven't even gotten to the part where they got behind the wheel later that night...what could have been the ramifications there?  Can those lead to financial injuries for someone?  Of course.

Just because there isn't an immediate impact to my wallet, doesn't mean there isn't an impact eventually and certainly that person being rude can impact someone else's quality of life right then and there.  What if later that night a cop pulls one of us over for a broken tail light, we all stink of pot because of the clowns in front of us.  Nothing we did wrong, but we get to go through a fun song and dance with Barney Fife.  So on and so forth.  There are always ramifications to every action taken.  Directly or indirectly, some obvious and some not so obvious. 

This is the dumbest argument I have heard.  All the bolded are against the law and would be even if weed were legal.  Driving after smoking weed is an DUI medical related or not, just like you can get arrested for an DUI for taking certain medications that are prescribed to you (pain medicines for instance). 

Fact of the matter is that marijuana should never have been made illegal in this country.  It was a stupid decision and has actually cost the country a lot of money, both through taxation and lost income due to banning hemp production (so that a few of the super rich could protect their assets).

It has exceptional and wide ranging pharmaceutical properties, many of which we do not understand because of its illegal status that makes actual research into these areas more complex.  Some illnesses have no treatments except for marijuana.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/

And for your crazy song and dance rant at the end.  What if you went to a restaurant and the waitress spilled a someones drink on you and then you stink like alcohol even though you didn't drink, should we make alcohol illegal so you don't have to explain it to Barney Fife. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »
And today's data Forgetful

We reap what we sow.....hopefully no one you love will ever be impacted.  Too late for others.

http://www.ibtimes.com/driving-while-high-dangerous-fatal-car-accidents-involving-marijuana-triple-over-10-years-1553319

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »
Any of y'all actually ever pound sand?

Uh, actually yea

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
Uh, actually yea

it was a lonely night in the desert of Iraq.  "Crash" had been into town that day, and caught a glimpse or 2 of an ankle from some of the local honeys.  His swollen ballbag was near to burst, when he tossed a frag in the general direction of his buddies, yet not too close to cause harm, to create a distraction before dropping trow and rapidly pounding sand to relieve the pressure of Islamic blue balls.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
not that this has anything to do with Comcrap etc. but this appears to be the best place to post this:

http://news.yahoo.com/colo-pot-aids-...053424609.html

The doctors were out of ideas to help 5-year-old Charlotte Figi.

Suffering from a rare genetic disorder, she had as many as 300 grand mal seizures a week, used a wheelchair, went into repeated cardiac arrest and could barely speak. As a last resort, her mother began calling medical marijuana shops.

Two years later, Charlotte is largely seizure-free and able to walk, talk and feed herself after taking oil infused with a special pot strain. Her recovery has inspired both a name for the strain of marijuana she takes that is bred not to make users high — Charlotte's Web — and an influx of families with seizure-stricken children to Colorado from states that ban the drug.

"She can walk, talk; she ate chili in the car," her mother, Paige Figi, said as her dark-haired daughter strolled through a cavernous greenhouse full of marijuana plants that will later be broken down into their anti-seizure components and mixed with olive oil so patients can consume them. "So I'll fight for whoever wants this."

Doctors warn there is no proof that Charlotte's Web is effective, or even safe.

"We don't have any peer-reviewed, published literature to support it," Dr. Larry Wolk, the state health department's chief medical officer, said of Charlotte's Web.

Still, more than 100 families have relocated since Charlotte's story first began spreading last summer, according to Figi and her husband and the five brothers who grow the drug and sell it at cost through a nonprofit. The relocated families have formed a close-knit group in Colorado Springs, the law-and-order town where the dispensary selling the drug is located. They meet for lunch, support sessions and hikes.

"It's the most hope lots of us have ever had," said Holli Brown, whose 9-year-old daughter, Sydni, began speaking in sentences and laughing since moving to Colorado from Kansas City and taking the marijuana strain.

Amy Brooks-Kayal, vice president of the American Epilepsy Society, warned that a few miraculous stories may not mean anything — epileptic seizures come and go for no apparent reason — and scientists do not know what sort of damage Charlotte's Web could be doing to young brains.

"Until we have that information, as physicians, we can't follow our first creed, which is do no harm," she said, suggesting that parents relocate so their children can get treated at one of the nation's 28 top-tier pediatric epilepsy centers rather than move to Colorado.

However, the society urges more study of pot's possibilities. The families using Charlotte's Web, as well as the brothers who grow it, say they want the drug rigorously tested, and their efforts to ensure its purity have won them praise from skeptics like Wolk.

For many, Charlotte's story was something they couldn't ignore.

Charlotte is a twin, but her sister, Chase, doesn't have Dravet's syndrome, which kills kids before they reach adulthood.

In early 2012, it seemed Charlotte would be added to that grim roster. Her vital signs flat-lined three times, leading her parents to begin preparing for her death. They even signed an order for doctors not to take heroic measures to save her life again should she go into cardiac arrest.

Her father, Matt, a former Green Beret who took a job as a contractor working in Afghanistan, started looking online for ways to help his daughter and thought they should give pot a try. But there was a danger: Marijuana's psychoactive ingredient, THC, can trigger seizures.

The drug also contains another chemical known as CBD that may have seizure-fighting properties. In October, the Food and Drug Administration approved testing a British pharmaceutical firm's marijuana-derived drug that is CBD-based and has all its THC removed.

Few dispensaries stock CBD-heavy weed that doesn't get you high. Then Paige Figi found Joel Stanley.

One of 11 siblings raised by a single mother and their grandmother in Oklahoma, Stanley and four of his brothers had found themselves in the medical marijuana business after moving to Colorado. Almost as an experiment, they bred a low-THC, high-CBD plant after hearing it could fight tumors.

Stanley went to the Figis' house with reservations about giving pot to a child.

"But she had done her homework," Stanley said of Paige Figi. "She wasn't a pot activist or a hippy, just a conservative mom."

Now, Stanley and his brothers provide the marijuana to nearly 300 patients and have a waitlist of 2,000.

The CBD is extracted by a chemist who once worked for drug giant Pfizer, mixed with olive oil so it can be ingested through the mouth or the feeding tube that many sufferers from childhood epilepsy use, then sent to a third-party lab to test its purity.

Charlotte takes the medication twice a day. "A year ago, she could only say one word," her father said. "Now she says complete sentences."

The recovery of Charlotte and other kids has inspired the Figis and others to travel the country, pushing for medical marijuana laws or statutes that would allow high-CBD, low-THC pot strains.

Donald Burger recently urged a New York state legislative panel to legalize medical marijuana while his wife, Aileen, was in the family's new rental house in Colorado Springs, giving Charlotte's Web to their daughter Elizabeth, 4. The family only relocated to Colorado after neurologists told them Elizabeth's best hope — brain surgery — could only stop some of her seizures.

"It's a very big strain being away from the rest of our family," Aileen Burger said recently while waiting for her husband to return from a trip to sell their Long Island house. "But she doesn't have to have pieces of her brain removed."

Ray Mirazabegian, an optician in Glendale, Calif., brought Charlotte's Web to his state, where medical marijuana is legal. He convinced the Stanley brothers to give him some seeds he could use to treat his 9-year-old daughter Emily, who spent her days slumped on the couch. Now, she's running, jumping and talking. Mirazabegian is cloning the Charlotte's Web seeds and has opened the California branch of the Stanleys' foundation.

Mirazabegian has begun to distribute the strain to 25 families and has a waitlist of 400. It includes, he said, families willing to move from Japan and the Philippines.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
I really don't know what way it will go and I probably wouldn't use it anyway - for now. But if people are able to get local channels free, a lot might leave cable, which may force some re-thinking on their end. That is the benefit that I see, but I really have no sense of which way it is gonna go. Victories in lower courts don't necessarily foretell a high court decision.

Legal defeat for Aereo yesterday as it heads to Supreme Court

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/aereo-loses-copyright-fight-to-tv-networks-in-utah/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HAo5GgaJmsA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HAo5GgaJmsA</a>

rmi210

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »
And today's data Forgetful

We reap what we sow.....hopefully no one you love will ever be impacted.  Too late for others.

http://www.ibtimes.com/driving-while-high-dangerous-fatal-car-accidents-involving-marijuana-triple-over-10-years-1553319

What does that have to do with anything forgetful said?  You don't want to debate the issue so I will choose to use the emotion card.

Plus, that article actually says marijuana is safer than drinking..."The results of the driving experiment gives support to those who say driving while stoned is far less dangerous than driving drunk."

But don't mind me...carry on

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Coleman

• All American
Re: Bought and paid for
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
Bought and Paid for

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/375116/how-comcast-bought-democratic-party-matthew-continetti

This happens on both sides of the aisle. It shows how sick our political system is, and how corporations with soft money are able to infiltrate the system. Rulings like Citizens United and the most recent Supreme Court decision of last week, makes this even easier to do.

For the record, I am just as opposed to this kind of stuff when Democrats do it too.

feedback