[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WAYY Too Early Impressions  (Read 10824 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: WAYY Too Early Impressions
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Oh I forgot, Shaka wearing a shirt so long it could be a smock. The anti-Buzz.

A nod to Crean's long ties perhaps? Is Shaka subtly honoring our history?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2021, 10:29:10 AM »
My take away theme is "velocity".

Shaka employed a lot of different line-ups to start, all very different, which provides him situational flexibility. He will go deep into his bench.

Next was defense. He showed many different schemes and looks. All with high energy to be applied in the fluidity of the game. I was a bit surprised with so many looks this early (there is a lot to clean up), but I am excited that a MU team will play a "stop" pressure defense this season.

So if velocity is speed over time, this game achieved its goal. A deep bench who consistently play with high energy. The previous regime would go (too often) many possessions without stops or many games in a row without wins or start second halves with long opponent runs.

Offense: We'll see after Illinois.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »
Next was defense. He showed many different schemes and looks. All with high energy to be applied in the fluidity of the game. I was a bit surprised with so many looks this early (there is a lot to clean up), but I am excited that a MU team will play a "stop" pressure defense this season.

Offense: We'll see after Illinois.

I was a little surprised as well, but I guess you want to see how it looks against different uniforms. The halfcourt zone looked bad. Saw a variety of ball screen coverages based on personnel, which I don't know if we saw in the last 7 years. They did well with those. Kuath chased at the perimeter more than I'd like on occasion. Good teams would punish that.

In the press defense I couldn't tell if it was meant to be a 1-2-1-1 like he played at VCU, or a 1-2-2. Either way, they're gonna have to tighten some things up. It forced turnovers, but there were some jailbreaks as well. Kur snuffed a few out.

Agree on the offense. They got away with some passes that would have been pick sixes against HM opposition. Got some good looks, moved it well. I'd zone the crap out of MU, personally. Outside of Kolek none of them are terribly reliable outside shooters. Only hunted mismatches a few times with Justin and O-Max.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:43:14 AM by MUfan12 »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2021, 10:45:34 AM »
Like others, I'm excited that defense will be key.
Regarding Shaka's goal of 32 deflections/game, this was interesting:
During the game a team manager held up a sign with the number of deflections during every timeout.
The Golden Eagles far surpassed the expected number.
"We had 54 deflections," Smart said. "Which is, I think, the highest number I've ever had.
"Now, it is an exhibition game against a Division II team, so we'll see how many deflections we have on Tuesday. Our goal is 32, so anytime our guys are that active it really affects the defensive end and the offensive end for us."

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
Very nice student turnout last night. Let's hope that continues.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
Very nice student turnout last night. Let's hope that continues.

My niece told me since they game wasn't streamed they had to go!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »

Yet, I'm willing to bet most students wouldn't have by the book stream.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2021, 11:13:57 AM »

All the Vesties didn't show as there was no parking.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
I looked at the box score and noticed that Kam Jones is a chucker.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »
 It will be odd to lose games this year due to lack of scoring, but that is what I expect, especially if Morsell isn't able to score consistently. We are going to need him to be a scoring threat as others on the floor won't be scoring threats already. Can't have someone playing a guard or SF position who doesn't score.   

Still the energy on the floor should make it exciting and result in some fan engagement that has been missing. Having some defensive take aways and stops and the pushing the ball in transition will be nice.  Intense energy like some of Buzz's teams will be nice.

I really liked the Cubby/Lazar team with the great ball movement.  It will be nice to see constant effort and movement like that team (not at that level, I realize, and not with the same ability to shoot the 3, but still the effort and movement).  And, my favorite all time MU player is Diener.  Have a guy (Kolek) with a little bit of Diener in him will be fun to watch.  It has been a while, a gamer.  Everyone always underestimated Diener.  Even when he had proven himself, it was well how good will he be without Wade etc. He's too small.  He's too slow, etc.  He was just a gamer.  I hope for some version of that from Kolek, even if not at the same level. We shall see.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »

Shaka "the only time i pulled Kam was when he passed up an open shot."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2021, 01:36:21 PM »
Oh I forgot, Shaka wearing a shirt so long it could be a smock. The anti-Buzz.

the days of coaches wearing suits is going away after last year.  I just hope he doesn't wear a garbage bag like Huggins.

Ralph Willard not a fan of the casual dress but when Jay Wright says it's good, the other coaches listen:  https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2021/11/seton-halls-willard-wants-to-wear-suits-but-jay-wright-big-east-coaches-are-leaning-toward-casual-dress.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:46:34 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »
Too early against too poor of an opponent to judge anything. Biggest takeaway is that is was fun to be back at the forum in person.

boooooooooo

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2021, 05:56:09 PM »
We should reserve judgement for at least 5 years.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2021, 06:18:55 PM »
the days of coaches wearing suits is going away after last year.  I just hope he doesn't wear a garbage bag like Huggins.

Ralph Willard not a fan of the casual dress but when Jay Wright says it's good, the other coaches listen:  https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2021/11/seton-halls-willard-wants-to-wear-suits-but-jay-wright-big-east-coaches-are-leaning-toward-casual-dress.html

Is Ralph still alive?

Marquette Overload

• Scholarship Player
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
Is Ralph still alive?

Don’t know about Ralph Willard but Fred Willard died.
Marquette Overload: http://www.muoverload.com

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
Don’t know about Ralph Willard but Fred Willard died.

Ditto Willard Scott.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »
Thoughts...

• Offense will be a challenge, but 72 of the 74 shots were either threes or twos in the paint. Those are high percentage shots. Both mid-range shots were missed, which will help Nevada Smith reinforce the threes and dunks/layups offensive plan. I don't think this is a great offensive team, but a great offensive strategy will minimize their deficiencies.
  • The defensive intensity was something else. Totally different than Wojo. They were still pressuring and diving with a 40+ point lead. I saw Joplin go to the floor with about 4 minutes left. Once they get the team concepts, they'll be really good.
  • Kur Kuath is a difference maker. Uses his length well, smart shot blocker, tries to dunk everything. He's never averaged more than 17 minutes, but he platooned with a very good Brady Manek last year. I'm hoping he can average 25 mpg. In games where he played 25+ mpg, Kuath averaged 9.2 ppg/4.7 rpg/2.5 bpg with 4/6 games at a 119 ORtg or better.
  • The most ready freshmen on this team are Wojo's recruits. Both Mitchell & Jones look like day one contributors. Joplin, Ellis, & Itejere (RS) aren't there yet.
  • O-Max needs to find consistency. He was average at best last night after being great in the open practice. He started, so I assume he is at least showing flashes in practice too.
  • This team is fun to watch. The quick inbounds, constantly looking for a good shot, pushing the pace, creating turnovers, this team plays the modern game, just need the experience and talent to deliver results.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2021, 09:07:09 AM »
  • Offense will be a challenge, but 72 of the 74 shots were either threes or twos in the paint. Those are high percentage shots. Both mid-range shots were missed, which will help Nevada Smith reinforce the threes and dunks/layups offensive plan. I don't think this is a great offensive team, but a great offensive strategy will minimize their deficiencies.

Great observations, but this one needs a call out. Many of us may be sleeping on MU’s offense, but the Nevada Smith NBA philosophy, focused on efficiency, will be interesting to see play out. The fact that only two of 74 shots were mid-range against a cupcake where garbage time can get sloppy, shows the focus of the coaching staff on efficiency. Shaka was not pleased with 13 turnovers, but MU had only four after halftime once the nerves settled down.

This is something to track as the opponents get better in November. We mostly all wanted a modern day coaching staff focused analytics and efficiency, and we got it. Let’s see if it’s a difference maker.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2021, 01:13:01 PM »
Write a letter
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2021, 07:23:33 PM »
I thought I read/heard during the radio broadcast that MU never once fed the post.    Is this accurate? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2021, 07:41:31 PM »
I thought I read/heard during the radio broadcast that MU never once fed the post.    Is this accurate?

Seriously?  There may be some concerns in our h-c offense.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »

Not a priority unless a dunk

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2021, 09:28:06 PM »

Hopefully.