[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 257582 times)

The Big East

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #1725 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:27 PM »
Nick Sirianni didn't call plays for the Colts; hired by Eagles.

Urban Meyer has off field baggage ranging from health issues to rumored affairs with coeds; hired by Jaguars.

Dan Campbell talks about biting people's kneecaps in a press conference but apparently interviewed well enough to be hired by the Lions.

Strange league.
Leslie Frazier will likely get the Texans job. He knows the right people . He shares the same agent as the Texans GM.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1726 on: January 22, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
There his involvement with recruiting scandals involving sexual assault at CU too when he was a coach there.

So, if you hire him you’ve hired a woman beater and alleged rape enabler. If you don’t you’re a discriminatory racist. What group do you piss off more?

By the way, his own Alma mater didn’t hire him as head coach but has hired other minority coaches.

And, apparently he’s sucks at interviewing. Comes off as aloof and arrogant. I think we’ve all had job candidates come in whom were great on paper but not in person. And, maybe, he’s just not taking the jobs that have been out there.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-rumors-eric-bieniemy-coach/

Him not interviewing well or calling plays are legit concerns.

Him having a DUI and issues with player behavior when he was a position coach isn't relevant at all.  As Lazar's says, those are issues that don't apply to other coaches and are likely just being floated as excuses now.  (And I don't see where it says he beat a woman.)

That being said, I don't think this is a racial issue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: January 22, 2021, 08:43:43 AM »
There his involvement with recruiting scandals involving sexual assault at CU too when he was a coach there.

So, if you hire him you’ve hired a woman beater and alleged rape enabler. If you don’t you’re a discriminatory racist. What group do you piss off more?

By the way, his own Alma mater didn’t hire him as head coach but has hired other minority coaches.

And, apparently he’s sucks at interviewing. Comes off as aloof and arrogant. I think we’ve all had job candidates come in whom were great on paper but not in person. And, maybe, he’s just not taking the jobs that have been out there.

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-rumors-eric-bieniemy-coach/

In no particular order:

Almost twenty years ago, Eric Bieniemy was an assistant coach at Colorado in 2001-2002. In 2003 during rape investigation, authorities didn't question Bieniemy, nor did they take any depositions from him. They did question, and take depositions from some others.

Twenty seven years ago, shortly after college, while a running back for the San Diego Chargers, Eric Bieniemy and others were cutting across a parking lot. While walking he he put his hand on the back of the neck of a female parking lot attendant jokingly startling her, (This is not okay and not acceptable) kept walking and urinated with the group at a different part of the parking lot. Later a male parking lot attendant was allegedly struck on the side of the face by someone else. Bieniemy wasn't there.

Eric Bieniemy turned down the Head Coaching Position at the University of Colorado.

It's been widely reported that Bieniemy would like to be an NFL Head Coach, but hasn't received the opportunity to do so.

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: January 22, 2021, 08:49:08 AM »
In no particular order:

Almost twenty years ago, Eric Bieniemy was an assistant coach at Colorado in 2001-2002. In 2003 during rape investigation, authorities didn't question Bieniemy, nor did they take any depositions from him. They did question, and take depositions from some others.

Twenty seven years ago, shortly after college, while a running back for the San Diego Chargers, Eric Bieniemy and others were cutting across a parking lot. While walking he he put his hand on the back of the neck of a female parking lot attendant jokingly startling her, (This is not okay and not acceptable) kept walking and urinated with the group at a different part of the parking lot. Later a male parking lot attendant was allegedly struck on the side of the face by someone else. Bieniemy wasn't there.

Exactly.  This is the stuff floated as excuses for one candidate that all sorts of teams would completely overlook for others.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: January 22, 2021, 08:52:15 AM »
Dan Campbell has a documented case of yelling an inappropriate slur at a pep rally while in college.

New coach of the Lions.

Patricia had an alleged sexual assault from college.   Also hired by the Lions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: January 22, 2021, 10:07:01 AM »
The implicit bias at work here is an offense vs defense thing.  African American coaches with offense backgrounds aren't head coaches for the same reasons talented African American kids didn't/don't get played at QB in high school.  Here's a list of recent black head coaches with backgrounds coaching defense: Mike Tomlin, Brian Flores, Ron Rivera, Marvin Lewis, Vance Joseph, Leslie Frazier, Steve Wilks, Todd Bowles, Herm Edwards, Lovie Smith. List of recent black head coaches with offense background: Anthony Lynn, Jim Caldwell, Hue Jackson. I might have missed a couple but you get the idea.

When the next offensive whiz kid head coaching candidate is white, certain personality traits show "eccentricity" and are seen as proof that the offensive guru-ness is real. Guys like Gase, McDaniels, Lane Kiffin, and Trestman all got one and sometimes two chances because teams will do anything and take risks despite red flags to find the next offensive whiz.
Do those guys get the same treatment and opportunities if they were African American? I certainly don't think so.  Bienemy is an example of that, and his red flags are far fewer.

Hopefully some of this disparity washes out as the old inequities become less common, like we're seeing at QB.

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:32 AM »
Another test case upcoming is Byron Leftwich, who as OC at Tampa, also calls plays.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1732 on: January 22, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »

Him having a DUI and issues with player behavior when he was a position coach isn't relevant at all. As Lazar's says, those are issues that don't apply to other coaches and are likely just being floated as excuses now.  (And I don't see where it says he beat a woman.)

That being said, I don't think this is a racial issue.

I don’t care about the DUI but the assault and alleged covering up/enabling sexual assault. That’s an issue.

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1733 on: January 22, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »

I don't think any of us have been privy to his interviews.

Saleh, Staley, Sirianni, Campbell - have they ever called plays for any offense?

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: January 22, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
I don’t care about the DUI but the assault and alleged covering up/enabling sexual assault. That’s an issue.

Dude, he is not alleged to have covered up anything.  Here is the sentence: "Bieniemy also worked on Colorado’s coaching staff when the program had multiple players facing rape allegations."

So now NFL teams aren't going to want to hire an assistant coach (who was never questioned or directly implicated) who was on a coaching staff when players were facing rape allegations (though never charged)?

Urban Meyer coached a player who killed a guy.

So please spare me that stuff. 

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: January 22, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
I don't think any of us have been privy to his interviews.

Saleh, Staley, Sirianni, Campbell - have they ever called plays for any offense?

Saleh and Staley are defensive coaches, so no.  I have no idea about the other two.

My point is there are plenty of legit reasons why teams may not want to hire him.  It very well could be that they simply don't want to wait another 2+ weeks. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1736 on: January 22, 2021, 12:29:26 PM »
Dude, he is not alleged to have covered up anything.  Here is the sentence: "Bieniemy also worked on Colorado’s coaching staff when the program had multiple players facing rape allegations."

So now NFL teams aren't going to want to hire an assistant coach (who was never questioned or directly implicated) who was on a coaching staff when players were facing rape allegations (though never charged)?

Urban Meyer coached a player who killed a guy.

So please spare me that stuff.

https://dailybruin.com/2004/04/05/football-bieniemy-to-likely-fa
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1737 on: January 22, 2021, 12:33:20 PM »
If Eric Bieniemy was white, he’d have a job by now.  The excuses are garbage.  If Urban Meyer is hireable, then so is Bieniemy.  His resume far exceeds many coaches recently hired, including Matt Laflure
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #1738 on: January 22, 2021, 12:42:30 PM »
https://dailybruin.com/2004/04/05/football-bieniemy-to-likely-fa

Nothing that article says disputes what I posted.

EDIT:  And let's just cut to the chase here.  Despite all of these allegations that happened while he was an assistant coach at Colorado, HE WAS OFFERED THEIR HEAD COACHING JOB LAST YEAR!

So let's stop pretending that he isn't getting a head coaching job because of that.  NFL teams have hired coaches with similar issues. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:47:24 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: January 22, 2021, 12:46:06 PM »
If Eric Bieniemy was white, he’d have a job by now.  The excuses are garbage.  If Urban Meyer is hireable, then so is Bieniemy.  His resume far exceeds many coaches recently hired, including Matt Laflure

Urban Meyer is a scumbag and plays up health issues to his benefit, but come on. The only people with a higher winning percentage in college that coached more than 200 games are Larry Kehres from Mount Union and another D3 coach.  He’s arguably a top college coach of all time. Acting like he’s “not hireable” is silly, dude could get any job he showed legit interest in.

People have posed very logical reasons, not related to DUI or scandal, why he’s not been hired.  It’s not automatically a race thing, especially when he’s been a hot name while other coaches of color have been hired. If he interviews like crap, it’s not race that keeps him from being hired

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: January 22, 2021, 12:59:10 PM »
I think the Lafleur and McCarthy hiring show that why fans look for may not be what front offices value. They were offensive coordinators coming from offenses that weren’t particularly successful.

Maybe Bieniemy is incredibly picky about where he goes. Maybe he’s already agreed in principle with Houston and just playing coy. Maybe he’s a Gregg Marshall type and his personality would not be great as a head coach.

He’s clearly a hot name and it’s not like any GM is going to have an upset fanbase if they hire him. So it feels like there’s something behind the scenes that may give teams pause.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1741 on: January 22, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »
Saleh and Staley are defensive coaches, so no.  I have no idea about the other two.

My point is there are plenty of legit reasons why teams may not want to hire him.  It very well could be that they simply don't want to wait another 2+ weeks.

I think your last point may be most valid. We always look at the HC and, obviously he is the most important guy. But let's not underestimate getting a jump on rounding out the staff. The sooner you get the HC, the more options you have at the coordinator positions.

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: January 22, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »
Lafluer was hired based on him coming from the Kyle Shanahan tree and for his job working as the OC for the Rams.  He left the Rams so he could call his own plays for the Titans.  They wanted someone with a modern approach to offensive football, and that is what they got.

McCarthy was considered a pretty innovative offensive mind at the time, and used to work with Favre as QB coach.  There was actually some talk that Favre was going to retire had they not hired Steve Mariucci, which Thompson had no interest in doing.  So my guess is that they was a bit of a "compromise candidate."

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: January 22, 2021, 01:34:18 PM »
I think your last point may be most valid. We always look at the HC and, obviously he is the most important guy. But let's not underestimate getting a jump on rounding out the staff. The sooner you get the HC, the more options you have at the coordinator positions.

Yeah, and I don't know how you work around that.  I get why teams don't want their coordinators hired away before the Super Bowl, but maybe there has to be some give there.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: January 22, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »
I don’t think this will make Watson want to stay.

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1352728155648389123?s=21

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: January 22, 2021, 03:50:29 PM »

Any "WKRP in Cincinnati" fans here?  Do you remember the episode where Art Carlson was running for city council and called his opponent an alcoholic?  He was so ashamed that he intentionally tried to lose the election.

I kinda feel that's the Texans right now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: January 22, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »

What a disaster.  Also a disaster, that terrible cringy reply from Magary underneath it.  Get a grip dude

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:18 PM »

Any "WKRP in Cincinnati" fans here?  Do you remember the episode where Art Carlson was running for city council and called his opponent an alcoholic?  He was so ashamed that he intentionally tried to lose the election.

My son's theory (which I'm sure he heard/stole from someone else) is that Houston is now a cursed sports town because of the Astros' shenanigans.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1748 on: January 23, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »

The best episode of WKRP was when they did the Thanksgiving turkey drop.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: January 23, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »
Lions moving on from Matthew Stafford. Will look to trade him. He’s only 32 though he’s taken plenty of damage and has a huge contract.

Both Stafford and Watson available this off-season. With that floating around, can’t wait for the Bears to start Trubisky or some retread POS like Jeff Driskel or Nick Mullens next year

feedback