[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Donations  (Read 8981 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: MU Donations
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »

Actually when they called last night, I asked them to remove my number from their telethon.

That's your right and I don't have a problem with you doing that.

I could do without the moaning and groaning on here when the solution is so simple.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
One item I found while working the phones at MU (maybe some of my cohorts could weigh in), was that the alumni who made the biggest stink about a particular issue "I'm not donating until [The Warrior Nickname Comes Back] / [LGBT Groups are Banned] / [etc]" were the ones with a tiny donation history. Like $10 ONCE.

It's the 80/20 rule 80% of talk time with folks who donated the least. The most pleasant, easygoing folks were the ones who would say, "Oh yeah, I forgot to do that this year. Let's do $1,000."

Not surprised one bit.  Also, that guy who gave $50 two years ago thinking that you ought to have courtside seats ready for them because of it.   ::)

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
You know these people are trying to help your alma mater right? We need these donations and this office full of people willing to take your rude and hard treatment to keep our school achieving.

Maybe support instead of complaining would help!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
You know these people are trying to help your alma mater right? We need these donations and this office full of people willing to take your rude and hard treatment to keep our school achieving.

Maybe support instead of complaining would help!

Sorry, but Marquette just isn't one of my philanthropic priorities. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »

Sorry, but Marquette just isn't one of my philanthropic priorities. 

I get this, and I don't have a problem with people choosing where (or to whom) their money should go.  For 90% of the alumnosphere, it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't donate, but what does bother me is when people, who had most/all of their tab picked up by MU, go on to bigger and better things and still don't donate.

I can see how a MUBB alum might conclude that he contributed multiple times the value of his scholarship on the court (and he may very well be right), but for all of the other athletes and non-athletes who attended on a full or half-ride (i.e. not simply a Pere Marquette or competition scholarship), I'd be curious to see what the average donation is relative to the average donation outside this cohort.

Personally, I don't feel a moral obligation to contribute (over my lifetime) the $45k or so in tuition I never had to pay, but I'm sure as hell going to try... although I truly hope I'm not an anomaly, I have a sickening feeling that I am.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
I get this, and I don't have a problem with people choosing where (or to whom) their money should go.  For 90% of the alumnosphere, it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't donate, but what does bother me is when people, who had most/all of their tab picked up by MU, go on to bigger and better things and still don't donate.

I can see how a MUBB alum might conclude that he contributed multiple times the value of his scholarship on the court (and he may very well be right), but for all of the other athletes and non-athletes who attended on a full or half-ride (i.e. not simply a Pere Marquette or competition scholarship), I'd be curious to see what the average donation is relative to the average donation outside this cohort.

Personally, I don't feel a moral obligation to contribute (over my lifetime) the $45k or so in tuition I never had to pay, but I'm sure as hell going to try... although I truly hope I'm not an anomaly, I have a sickening feeling that I am.

Just remember that those tuition discounts / scholarships are built into the overall financial model.

Anyway as I have gotten older, I have focused giving more on certain organizations.  A couple church based...a couple local charities...get most of the Sultan family's moderate giving. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
I'm forgetting the exact number but MU's participation rate is relatively poor compared to our direct competition.  Also remember that giving a couple hundred bucks spread across a large universe can make a real difference. Don't think you need to give six figures to be impactful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
I'm forgetting the exact number but MU's participation rate is relatively poor compared to our direct competition.  Also remember that giving a couple hundred bucks spread across a large universe can make a real difference. Don't think you need to give six figures to be impactful.
This is a good point. Get the percentages up.

Would like to see MU start offering full ride academic scholarships. Over time that will build our rating up as we get more cream of the crop students.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
They just called me during this game. Two games in a row now.

This cracks me up!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Jacking up the alumni participation rate is probably the last reason I would choose to give.