[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Open, 2021  (Read 11832 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: The Open, 2021
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »
Great player.  They are shredding this course.  . 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2021, 07:40:26 AM »
Great player.  They are shredding this course.  .

Clubhouse leader in 2011 was -5 after round one, which was the eventual winning score
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »
Clubhouse leader in 2011 was -5 after round one, which was the eventual winning score

The wind is about to pick up.  The greens are crazy slow.  Who ya got?  I guess it's still early.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »
The wind is about to pick up.  The greens are crazy slow.  Who ya got?  I guess it's still early.

Going to wait to see how things shake out Friday. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2021, 08:23:08 AM »
You just know that the guys who go out early and post a score walk off the 18th green and start muttering "Blow, wind, blow."

The R&A take a different attitude about setting up the courses than does the USGA or PGA.    The R&A has the course grow the rough and gorse up, sets the pins, and then lets the weather dictate score.   They can't speed the greens up to Augusta/Oakmont standards because then the ball will not stop on them in the wind.     They don't care if -20 wins, if that is what the conditions permit.   St. Andrews is far too short for the modern professional.   But if the rain is howling sideways.....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:29:34 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
You just know that the guys who go out early and post a score walk off the 18th green and start muttering "Blow, wind, blow."

The R&A take a different attitude about setting up the courses than does the USGA or PGA.    The R&A has the course grow the rough and gorse up, sets the pins, and then lets the weather dictate score.   They can't speed the greens up to Augusta/Oakmont standards because then the ball will not stop on them in the wind.     They don't care if -20 wins, if that is what the conditions permit.   St. Andrews is far too short for the modern professional.   But if the rain is howling sideways.....

Yes.  But the course is playing so soft.  I'm not sure the wind will cause too much havoc today.  Rahm and De Charcuterie have probs Tower.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2021, 08:37:07 AM »
i wanted so bad to add harmon to my team, but i had to go with guys who've been there...i might be sorry.  1st round 65 was solid, but i'll take jordie's play on and around green all day long
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2021, 08:59:21 AM »
Yes.  But the course is playing so soft.  I'm not sure the wind will cause too much havoc today.  Rahm and De Charcuterie have probs Tower.

Bryson is going to struggle playing links golf until he learns to flight the ball.   He hits it too high for the wind.    Rahm is coming off a major victory.   These aren't problems.    These are challenges. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2021, 09:02:45 AM »
Bunch of huge names floundering around what figures to be the cut line.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »
Bryson is going to struggle playing links golf until he learns to flight the ball.   He hits it too high for the wind.    Rahm is coming off a major victory.   These aren't problems.    These are challenges.

until bryson understands he can't play "grip n rip it" on every course or hole, he's going to struggle.  mr scientist has got to learn how to finesse some shots in between flexing

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »
Bunch of huge names floundering around what figures to be the cut line.

how can they have a "projected cut line" before all of the golfers have started round one, the conditions are ever changing, etc

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2021, 10:21:27 AM »
until bryson understands he can't play "grip n rip it" on every course or hole, he's going to struggle.  mr scientist has got to learn how to finesse some shots in between flexing

"Struggle".  Dude has won 3 times in the last year including the US Open and a top 5 in the PGA.  One of 3 players to win a NCAA, US Am, and a US Open.  The other 2 are the consensus best golfers of all time.  He's top 5 in the world right now.  We could all hope to struggle so much.

If you mean at the Open Championship?  Sure.  But there are many greats who have struggled there.

Dude is a firebrand who has made himself a target, I get it.  But his demise and "failures" are always over exaggerated.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2021, 12:16:43 PM »
"Struggle".  Dude has won 3 times in the last year including the US Open and a top 5 in the PGA.  One of 3 players to win a NCAA, US Am, and a US Open.  The other 2 are the consensus best golfers of all time.  He's top 5 in the world right now.  We could all hope to struggle so much.

If you mean at the Open Championship?  Sure.  But there are many greats who have struggled there.

Dude is a firebrand who has made himself a target, I get it.  But his demise and "failures" are always over exaggerated.

yes, he struggles when he could be even better.  the masters comes to mind.  he wouldn't change his game plan.  trying to beat augusta is like trying to beat mother nature.  you have to respect her.  but he wanted to try to over power augusta, it wasn't working and he doubled down.  you can be "jack armstrong" and still have the discipline to know when to let your foot off the gas a little. 

i like the guy.  i don't care what's going on with he and koepka.  as a matter of fact, bryson seems like he's being the adult in the room, but whatever.  "firebrand" ?  maybe.  great interview on feherty  and he was fantastic in "the match" with rodgers.  helluva a talent and a nice guy

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »
  yes, he struggles when he could be even better.  the masters comes to mind.  he wouldn't change his game plan.  trying to beat augusta is like trying to beat mother nature.  you have to respect her.  but he wanted to try to over power augusta, it wasn't working and he doubled down.  you can be "jack armstrong" and still have the discipline to know when to let your foot off the gas a little. 

i like the guy.  i don't care what's going on with he and koepka.  as a matter of fact, bryson seems like he's being the adult in the room, but whatever.  "firebrand" ?  maybe.  great interview on feherty  and he was fantastic in "the match" with rodgers.  helluva a talent and a nice guy

I don’t like Bryson.  He believes in science.  Burn the witch

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »
I am not a Bryson fan.  But not so much that I really give it a lot of thought.    He hits the ball high and far.   In the wind, the 'high' part can be an immense liability.    He has a need to quantify everything, down to how different amounts of moisture on a ball can effect spin rate.    That is fine.    You be you, Bryson.    Links golf is not about flying the ball 167.5 yards and having it check.   Which is difficult for his amazing mind to handle.     

The best think for Bryson would be for him to spend a month or so on vacation playing links courses.    Learning to flight his irons and his wedges.    Learning how to hit low spin 3/4 6 irons to fly 175 and run out 25.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »
French guy with a man bun.   Siem's unusual for an Open. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2021, 01:09:52 PM »

He’s German

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2021, 01:11:32 PM »
I should have done a Google search first.   Shame on me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 02:25:55 PM »
I am not a Bryson fan.  But not so much that I really give it a lot of thought.    He hits the ball high and far.   In the wind, the 'high' part can be an immense liability.    He has a need to quantify everything, down to how different amounts of moisture on a ball can effect spin rate.    That is fine.    You be you, Bryson.    Links golf is not about flying the ball 167.5 yards and having it check.   Which is difficult for his amazing mind to handle.     

The best think for Bryson would be for him to spend a month or so on vacation playing links courses.    Learning to flight his irons and his wedges.    Learning how to hit low spin 3/4 6 irons to fly 175 and run out 25.

Shade aside, I don't think your concluding point is a bad one.  That is if he's intent on winning the Open.  Otherwise, I think his methods and mentality will do just fine in the US, how they set courses up, etc..

Recent off the field nightmares aside, I think there are some similarities between him and Trevor Bauer.  Both are extremely analytical and confident outside the box thinkers when it comes to their approach in their respective sports, rubbing people the wrong way while doing so.  Both were very accomplished as young amateurs and both took awhile to get it going with their approaches at the professional level but then broke through big.  Remains to be seen if its enduring or not.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2021, 02:33:28 PM »
how can they have a "projected cut line" before all of the golfers have started round one, the conditions are ever changing, etc

"They" don't.

Top 70 and ties make the cut. I was just looking at those who already were tied for 72nd or worse after their rounds, knowing they wouldn't move up based on anything those in the afternoon shot. Now that the round is over, there are even more big names on the fence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »
I guess I was wrong.  Clearly the morning guys had the better draw today.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2021, 02:53:57 PM »
I guess I was wrong.  Clearly the morning guys had the better draw today.

Never admit you were wrong.  This is in the Scoop handbook

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »
Shade aside, I don't think your concluding point is a bad one.  That is if he's intent on winning the Open.  Otherwise, I think his methods and mentality will do just fine in the US, how they set courses up, etc..

Recent off the field nightmares aside, I think there are some similarities between him and Trevor Bauer.  Both are extremely analytical and confident outside the box thinkers when it comes to their approach in their respective sports, rubbing people the wrong way while doing so.  Both were very accomplished as young amateurs and both took awhile to get it going with their approaches at the professional level but then broke through big.  Remains to be seen if its enduring or not.
I expect he will win more majors.   I accept his mind works differently.   It can be fascinating to watch.  Links golf is different.   Can Bryson make the mental adjustments?   It took Phil a couple of decades.   It took Tiger and Spieth just a couple of years.  Which will Bryson be?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »

Gareth Bale made the Open field?

(I know he's Cymraeg)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2021, 03:57:29 PM »
Zalatoris needs to keep looking for a better putting routine.     That looked like a Monday night golf league when the dude was ticked you didn't concede his putt.     If he makes the Ryder cup, I cannot see Europe telling him to pick any thing up. 

feedback