[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Help with Cord Cutting  (Read 11659 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Help with Cord Cutting
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
So, TAMU, what did you decide?

Still on my free trail of sling. But I think I'm going to keep it. It has everything I need fur the lowest price. YouTube TV isn't available in my area yet
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
I did a lot of research on this before cutting the cord. Comparing prices, channel availability, DVR capacity, User interface, device compatability etc. I ended up going with Hulu Live. Worst part about it is the UI but for $45 you get DVR, a lot of channels including ESPN and FS1 plus you get the added benefit of the full hulu library on demand which includes their original content

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:15 PM »
Still on my free trail of sling. But I think I'm going to keep it. It has everything I need fur the lowest price. YouTube TV isn't available in my area yet

The more I'm hearing about YouTube TV, the less interested I am in it. My wife does not want to have to use her phone as a remote, they have little customer service, and they apparently have quite a few glitches.

Not sure what I'm gonna do, but I'm gonna do it by Friday!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
The more I'm hearing about YouTube TV, the less interested I am in it. My wife does not want to have to use her phone as a remote, they have little customer service, and they apparently have quite a few glitches.

Not sure what I'm gonna do, but I'm gonna do it by Friday!

I'd love to hear more. On its face (channel list and $), it seems like a great option. Anyone have experience?

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 08:21:54 AM »
One thing with Sling that drove me back to cable last year was the delay between the digital and cable feeds. Obvi it will depend on internet speeds, but even even using 100mb/s, there was a 7-15 second delay. Nothing huge, but if you like to Tweet and watch, makes for lots of spoilers, particularly in end game situations. When I read the OMG Miggy Tweets after his granny and the at bat was only 1 pitch in on my screen, I caved.

I know cable companies got wise to this, but try calling and asking if they can drop the price to a point you'd be comfortable (35-40). I did that and got a 12 month promo rate for 20 bucks more than I was paying for internet alone. I live in rural Ohio, though,  so that may be a factor.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
PSVue has a 10-20 second delay as well. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »
I'm officially a free agent. DirecTV wouldn't make me a good enough offer to keep me, so I canceled. I currently have no service but I'm not home this week so I don't care. Once I return in a few days, I have to come up with a plan.

I'm thinking about trying the YouTube TV 1-month trial. If I don't like it after a few days, I'll have to start thinking about Plan B. Unless others have a better suggestion based on their experience ...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 06:03:18 AM »
I'm officially a free agent. DirecTV wouldn't make me a good enough offer to keep me, so I canceled. I currently have no service but I'm not home this week so I don't care. Once I return in a few days, I have to come up with a plan.

I'm thinking about trying the YouTube TV 1-month trial. If I don't like it after a few days, I'll have to start thinking about Plan B. Unless others have a better suggestion based on their experience ...

DirecTV came through with a great offer, but not until after I had cancelled their service. By that point, I already had Time-Warner installed. I looked at cord cutting, but my TWC/Spectrum internet/tv/phone combo (phone line isn't even hooked up) was a couple hundred bucks a year cheaper than cutting the cord would have been. The real downside I found to cord cutting was that everyone jacks their internet prices if you go internet only. By the time I would have PS Vue and premiums (at least HBO & Showtime) I was looking at a more expensive total package than if I just went with Spectrum all the way.

I hope in time it comes down to a more viable price point, but for me, it just isn't there yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
DirecTV came through with a great offer, but not until after I had cancelled their service. By that point, I already had Time-Warner installed. I looked at cord cutting, but my TWC/Spectrum internet/tv/phone combo (phone line isn't even hooked up) was a couple hundred bucks a year cheaper than cutting the cord would have been. The real downside I found to cord cutting was that everyone jacks their internet prices if you go internet only. By the time I would have PS Vue and premiums (at least HBO & Showtime) I was looking at a more expensive total package than if I just went with Spectrum all the way.

I hope in time it comes down to a more viable price point, but for me, it just isn't there yet.

Since we moved to Charlotte, we have used Windstream for Internet. It's a relatively small carrier and, in fact, one that has been in financial trouble. It is a "legacy" company that derived all of its income from landlines until only a few years ago. It has tried to branch out into broadband (somewhat successfully), cable (unsuccessfully) and cellphones (unsuccessfully). I have been mostly satisfied with them as an Internet provider and they actually are relatively inexpensive.

I actually priced out how much canceling them and DirecTV, and comparing how much it would be to use Spectrum cable (the former Time Warner here) for everything. I was surprised to see it would not be materially different, which is why I haven't rushed to Spectrum.

I remain open-minded, and hey brew ... maybe DirecTV will come back at me with a spectacular offer now that they miss me so much!!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
Since we moved to Charlotte, we have used Windstream for Internet. It's a relatively small carrier and, in fact, one that has been in financial trouble. It is a "legacy" company that derived all of its income from landlines until only a few years ago. It has tried to branch out into broadband (somewhat successfully), cable (unsuccessfully) and cellphones (unsuccessfully). I have been mostly satisfied with them as an Internet provider and they actually are relatively inexpensive.

I actually priced out how much canceling them and DirecTV, and comparing how much it would be to use Spectrum cable (the former Time Warner here) for everything. I was surprised to see it would not be materially different, which is why I haven't rushed to Spectrum.

I remain open-minded, and hey brew ... maybe DirecTV will come back at me with a spectacular offer now that they miss me so much!!

Keep us informed on how things go. I got DirectTV a couple months ago and am very pleased with the cost. Went from $225.00 for Cable, internet, phone, and HBO to $126.00 for cable, internet and HBO with directv.

Actually when I called Spectrum about getting rid of the phone to lower costs and keep Spectrum, they told me it would go UP $10 a month if I dropped the phone.
Now they are calling all the time about the deals they have - the same thing I called them asking about. I told them I was tired of paying $35 a month for two boxes and the modem and was told too bad. Now they call me offering them for free with the package. One thing I know is that I will never go back to cable.

I was willing to go up 2 package levels for an extra $20 to get all the sports channels on directv or the monthly cost would be even cheaper.

But in 21 months when the deal is up, I will be probably be looking to move again so its nice to keep up with what others here are using.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »

It annoyed me because I called them in the past and they could never knock off more than $20-30 on a $200+ bill. Suddenly they could cut my bill by over $100/month now that I've already changed? Pound sand, you had your chance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2017, 10:01:54 PM »
It annoyed me because I called them in the past and they could never knock off more than $20-30 on a $200+ bill. Suddenly they could cut my bill by over $100/month now that I've already changed? Pound sand, you had your chance.

I absolutely understand. But I am a bottom-line guy. Be cheaper, with decent quality, and I'll use you. I learned long ago not to "cut off my nose to spite my face," as my mom used to say.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
I absolutely understand. But I am a bottom-line guy. Be cheaper, with decent quality, and I'll use you. I learned long ago not to "cut off my nose to spite my face," as my mom used to say.

Spectrum has a policy in place not to raise rates. If I went back to DirecTV (after already sitting through one installation process) I would've had to block time again and my rates would've been jacked back up after my promotional period ended.

If Spectrum's policy changes, I'll probably shop around again, but from a customer service perspective, not having to have the same push and pull over rates every other month is worth a few extra bucks (and the cost difference was pretty negligible).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
"Spectrum has a policy in place not to raise rates."    WOW!!!!!

I think there's a hidden asterisk there.  "... until they want to raise rates."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 08:07:19 AM »
"Spectrum has a policy in place not to raise rates."    WOW!!!!!

I think there's a hidden asterisk there.  "... until they want to raise rates."

I know that policies can change, but it's there now. If they go the DirecTV route and more than double my rates after two years, I'll be gone. My bill went from $248 per month with DirecTV to $130 with Spectrum. And that DirecTV bill was with a discount for being an AT&T subscriber and a "promotional rate" they gave me a year ago.

If it goes up, I'll go through the process again of looking at all the options, including cutting the cord, but as of right now, it would cost me more to cut the cord than to go with Spectrum.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
As long as the ISPs are in the content delivery business cutting the cord will never be cheaper than going through a cable provider (assuming you want new/live content) and that doesn't even factor in the integration cost of multiple streaming interfaces/log-ins/finding content....

It's a corollary to the golden rule(he who has the gold makes the rules): They who control the pipes control your cost.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
Fantastic News!...For those of us with Playstation Vue, CBS Sports Network was added as part of the Core package and better (everything except slim).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
Fantastic News!...For those of us with Playstation Vue, CBS Sports Network was added as part of the Core package and better (everything except slim).

Correction .. "Slim" isn't the package name .. it's "Access" .. Access is $40, Core is $45.

I suppose you could upgrade for 3 months, Dec-Feb.

.. Also .. I can't recall if it's been discussed in this thread, but YouTube TV has added the Milwaukee market now.  $35/month.

Interesting it comes with 6 accounts .. like they're begging people to share their credentials, split the costs.  They have FS1/2, CBSSN.  Not sure about the Fox regionals, though.

No HGTV, so wives everywhere will veto, though.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gaiachoice=true

edit: Not Mormon, don't have multiple wives as far as you know, these aren't the droids you're looking for.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:07:53 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 08:10:09 AM »
Correction .. "Slim" isn't the package name .. it's "Access" .. Access is $40, Core is $45.

.. Also .. I can't recall if it's been discussed in this thread, but YouTube TV has added the Milwaukee market now.  $35/month.

Interesting it comes with 6 accounts .. like they're begging people to share their credentials, split the costs.  They have FS1/2, CBSSN.  Not sure about the Fox regionals, though.

No HGTV, so my wives everywhere will veto, though.

It shows that Fox RSNs are included
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:18:10 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »

No HGTV, so my wives everywhere will veto, though.

How many do you have? I didn't know you were Mormon  ;D

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »
Oops. Edited.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »
What does Sling TV Broadcast at?  1080?  720?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
What do all you cord cutters do for Internet?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »

I currently have Charter (Spectrum) for internet, but plan on switching to TDS asap since they just installed lines last month (Madison area).  Basically, you're stuck with the local ISPs in your area... and typically, there is very little competition... so you're sort of stuck with what you get.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »

AT&T Fiber
But I like to throw handfuls...