[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicago man bets life savings on Cubs to win the World Series  (Read 11761 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Chicago man bets life savings on Cubs to win the World Series
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 01:50:56 AM »

I like to think that if he had been making $100K annually, he'd have more than $200K to his name, but maybe not. You know best ... or at least you claim to about pretty much every subject.

Hard to say.  Would he be the only earner in the family?  How many kids?  So on and so forth.  Also, he might have more, but tied up in investments that aren't liquid without penalty.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »
Not sure where you live but property taxes are actually way less in the city than in most burbs. I have coworkers who pay twice what I do in property taxes for a similarly priced home in the NW burbs.

Now, the schools are better in the burbs, but I could pay for private school and still come out ahead with the difference in property taxes.

Really any school you'd be sending your kids to is likely ranked ahead of the suburban schools. Lane, Young, Jones, Peyton, Pheonix, Lindblom and Northside all round out the Illinois top ten high schools. Add LP coming in the top 15.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:16 AM »
Really any school you'd be sending your kids to is likely ranked ahead of the suburban schools. Lane, Young, Jones, Peyton, Pheonix, Lindblom and Northside all round out the Illinois top ten high schools. Add LP coming in the top 15.

If your kid gets in.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »
Seems fishy.  The tuition for St. Ignatius, (private high school) is over 17k.  Loyola is the same.  De Le Salle, Brother Rice, Marist and Leo are about 11k. I have a hard time believing the property taxes are that much different. 

The property taxes all throughout Illinois are ridiculous, as with most things, among the worst in the country.

Was talking about grade school. Which at my parish is $5500.

Palatine (Fremd HS area of Palatine) to Chicago (Lake View neighborhood, Lake View High School district) property tax difference is about 8k. Almost same value homes. Directly from the mouth of a coworker. But believe what you want.

Also Loyola and St. Ignatius are both Jesuit schools and are among the most expensive in the archdiocese. St. Benedict, St. Patrick, DePaul Prep (all northside schools near where I live) are all roughly $10k for 9-12. Still not cheap but more in line with the comparison I was talking about....over 13 years of education...the K-8 side is $3k a year cheaper to live in the city and pay for private school and the 9-12 side is about $2k more expensive to do the same. So its more expensive for high school but for all of K-12 you come out ahead in the city.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:40:25 AM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
My point is that the amount of tax money spent on garbage collection in Chicago is likely to be much more on a per-household basis than what the garbage company charges me.

Also, my taxes may be more, but my village's budget is balanced, so there.

I will concede both of your points. No argument.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
If your kid gets in.

I'm talking about you or Coleman specifically. Id bet my life your children, being raised by college educated parents, would not have that issue. The majority of CPS schools suck because the kids there weren't raised to give a damn about education. My point was that an argument of "schools are better out here" doesn't really hold up if you're someone who's confident in how you raised your children.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 10:52:13 AM »
My kids went to Chicago public schools, both for K-8 and high school, and got great educations. Not just good, but great. Their high school still ranks among the top nationally. The parents cared, the principals cared, the teachers cared. As a result, the students cared and excelled.

Unfortunately, all CPS situations aren't identical. Students attending CPS schools in poverty zones have 2.9 strikes against them before the first pitch. I wish I had an easy solution but I don't pretend to have the answers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
My kids went to Chicago public schools, both for K-8 and high school, and got great educations. Not just good, but great. Their high school still ranks among the top nationally. The parents cared, the principals cared, the teachers cared. As a result, the students cared and excelled.

Unfortunately, all CPS situations aren't identical. Students attending CPS schools in poverty zones have 2.9 strikes against them before the first pitch. I wish I had an easy solution but I don't pretend to have the answers.

Just out of my own self-interest...what grade schools/high schools did your kids go to?

We are in Ravenswood Elementary and Lake View High School zones. These seem to be good, but not great, schools. Obviously magnet schools are always an option too but I'd like to know more about your experience.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »
coming late but for two summers while at MU I worked for Streets and Sanitation on a garbage truck on the North Side, I would go down to city Hall with a letter from a Ward Committeeman and then sent immediately to the Union where I had to sign up and pay dues( I was specifically told that I had no right to any beneifts,though)  With my Union card firmly in my hand I went back to CH and was assigned to a ward. The second year I was put in charge of the truck over a driver and two other career garbagemen in their 50s.
The money was good but the work was very demanding rolling 55gal drums out to the truck and depositing the contents. We worked very hard and each week ,because we finished our route by Thursday, we were rewarded by being sent to the South Side to help on another route. There we needed three guys because one had to be armed with a shovel to nail the rats as they came scampering out of the bins and drums.
The money was good for a college student and I could bank the paychecks because we would always make side money taking things we were not supposed to. I could break up a couch in about a minute using the blades on the back. It was also not unusual to find a bag with money on it. It wouldn't be a lot but divvied up I could drink on it for the weekend. All the jobs were patronage positions and most were precinct captains who were assured a job as along as their block voted Dem.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
Bump. Ended up being a very sound investment.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 09:51:22 AM »
Bump. Ended up being a very sound investment.

There  is a huge difference between making a sound investment and having stupid luck.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
There you go being a fun sucker again.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 10:19:42 AM »
Benny approves of this thread.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
There  is a huge difference between making a sound investment and having stupid luck.

Much like Maddon pulling Hendricks too early, sometimes a bad decision works out in the end.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »

At least there ought to be.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »
ok, if this bet did occur, his $200k becomes $600k and he owes the gubmint close to $160k.  his net=$340k minus divorce attorney fees and depends.  not the best investment imho, not worth the anxiety generated

also, if this bet did occur, don't ya think we would have heard something?
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
ok, if this bet did occur, his $200k becomes $600k and he owes the gubmint close to $160k.  his net=$340k minus divorce attorney fees and depends.  not the best investment imho, not worth the anxiety generated

You and Chick should hook up.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
You and Chick should hook up.

whaaaaaaat?  was that glows bet?  i'm a firm believer in counseling...just as long as he goes to GA, i'm pretty sure they can reconcile.  at least he'll have a little extra cash to pay for the chiropractors bills-from sleeping on the couch since may ;D

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
 :o

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
:o

chili started it-just tryin to go with it ;)

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2016, 12:54:32 AM »

He wins $600k on top of getting his $200k back.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2016, 01:10:37 AM »
That said, he should only be taxed on his winnings, right? So he'd take home around $540k. Assuming rocket's tax guess is right.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 04:57:49 AM »
That said, he should only be taxed on his winnings, right? So he'd take home around $540k. Assuming rocket's tax guess is right.

i was basing his taxes on his net return-$400k.  so about 40% of that, right?  yes he would get his original $200k back.  but it's a 3 bagger=$600k-eeeena?  take home, including his original is $540k but he MADE $340k for 5 months of bed wetting  ?-( and sleeping on the couch

feedback