collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: It's Iowa, It's Iowa  (Read 11966 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
It's Iowa, It's Iowa
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
Bond Shymansky leaves MU volleyball program for Iowa

He's a UI alum.  Not surprising that he is going home.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: It's Iowa, It's Iowa
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
Ah, crap.  Big loss for MU.

Bond lives two blocks from me .. see him and his family all the time.   His wife told me other colleges were trying to poach him all the time, so not surprised.

Sad to see them move.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
Buzz to MU volleyball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

connie

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Buzz to MU volleyball.
No way--he can't recruit bigs! 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »
More drinkin' solo for melissasmooth, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Bond Shymansky leaves MU
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 04:22:52 PM »
The girls volleyball coach who has been super successful is going to be coaching at Iowa next season. Huge blow for a program that was on a huge upswing.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Bond Shymansky leaves MU
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41807.0

Really?!  Never would've guessed!

"Who has been super successful" is going a bit overboard.  This past season they lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament, and the year before they lost in the 1st round (their first appearance in the NCAAs in...forever).  While it is a big blow because he was turning the program around, let's overstate what they had done.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
Err, mods delete. Didnt even bother looking at that thread cause I didnt have any interest reading a thread about iowa.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=41807.0

Really?!  Never would've guessed!

"Who has been super successful" is going a bit overboard.  This past season they lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament, and the year before they lost in the 1st round (their first appearance in the NCAAs in...forever).  While it is a big blow because he was turning the program around, let's overstate what they had done.
I couldn't disagree with you more. MU VB, has been to the ncaa's three years in row. Won their first game in the program. I've been to about 16 game the past two years. MU was in the golden age for the program. Huge loss!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
Ah, crap.  Big loss for MU.

Bond lives two blocks from me .. see him and his family all the time.   His wife told me other colleges were trying to poach him all the time, so not surprised.

Sad to see them move.

First you run the Wales on Wells guy outta town (w/o securing the magic of his cheese fries) and now Bond.   Will you stop at nothing to become the King of the 'Burbs!!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
Bond Shymansky leaves MU volleyball program for Iowa

He's a UI alum.  Not surprising that he is going home.

Did the gals find out via a news report?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
First you run the Wales on Wells guy outta town (w/o securing the magic of his cheese fries) and now Bond.   Will you stop at nothing to become the King of the 'Burbs!!!!

I also ran Broeker out of the Bay.

But I got Novak to buy a house here, so I'm about even.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:26 PM »

I don't know.  Perhaps they found out like It's Tennessee, It's Tennessee and he put on a sweatshirt on the team bus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »
I don't know.  Perhaps they found out like It's Tennessee, It's Tennessee and he put on a sweatshirt on the team bus.

You're honestly saying that KO's players found out he was leaving when he showed up on a team bus wearing a Tennessee sweat shirt?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Lenny, he was a gem...people knew his intentions by a number of statements and actions.

A gem.  Glad he got MU back on the map, thank God cell phones with cameras didn't exist.

http://www.sippinonpurple.com/2013/1/14/3877266/kevin-oneill-fired-usc-northwestern

http://seattlesportsnet.com/2011/03/17/a-rant-about-kevin-oneill/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:24:16 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
Crean was a gem too. 'Bout as valuable as a glass diamond.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »

at least he did it in person and not on the ESPN ticker.

Not sayin that KO was right either.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
1st Team All-American, Alyssa Goehner is not coming to Marquette
https://twitter.com/AlyssaGoehner

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
1st Team All-American, Alyssa Goehner is not coming to Marquette
https://twitter.com/AlyssaGoehner

This is what I was really afraid of...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
at least he did it in person and not on the ESPN ticker.

Not sayin that KO was right either.

Not of his choice, one of the Harbaughs jumped the gun.  The way it goes, unfortunately.  It's one of the reasons Bob Knight did not coach at Wisconsin...someone jumped the gun.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »
Not of his choice, one of the Harbaughs jumped the gun.  The way it goes, unfortunately.  It's one of the reasons Bob Knight did not coach at Wisconsin...someone jumped the gun.

One of the big differences between Crean and Knight. Who knows if one of the Harbaughs jumped the gun or that's just plain old spin, but TC still has Thanksgiving dinner with that guy. Knight would have stuffed him in a garbage can and left him there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
One of the big differences between Crean and Knight. Who knows if one of the Harbaughs jumped the gun or that's just plain old spin, but TC still has Thanksgiving dinner with that guy. Knight would have stuffed him in a garbage can and left him there.

Yes, as the brother of his wife, I suspect they would still have dinner.  Knight might have shot him in the back...intentionally or accidentally...but that might have turned out as just plain old spin

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »

Yup and @coachtomcrean got sweet, sweet revenge.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »
Big difference between how KO and TC handled things. KO was immature, brash and stupid about it, but he did not hang players out to dry. He was open book with the guys and no real surprise when he came out in sweatshirt. Have stated on here several times he autographed my swetashirt two hours after Duke loss saying TN coach KO. Granted that was after a slew of beers, but he was open book.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »
Coach Crean is no RMK, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »
Yup and @coachtomcrean got sweet, sweet revenge.

Ziggy, when I think of those tweets I still laugh. Creative, really funny stuff.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 08:59:10 PM »
Ziggy, when I think of those tweets I still laugh. Creative, really funny stuff.

don't know exactly why you are referring to me??   ;)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:36 PM »

A classic in the annals of Sick Malicious Vandalism and General Hooliganism. The fact that he elicited a response from the Bronzed Beast elevates it to Immortal status. The Holy Grail of Pranks.

We are not worthy.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
Just to keep everyone updated after talking to some of the girls on the volleyball team only one person is going to transfer after this year and thats only because she didnt get any playing time, not due to the coaching change. Roster will be the same despite Bond leaving.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
Just to keep everyone updated after talking to some of the girls on the volleyball team only one person is going to transfer after this year and thats only because she didnt get any playing time, not due to the coaching change. Roster will be the same despite Bond leaving.

that is what i have been hearing also.

Anyone going down to Loyola to see the Men's Volleyball Final Four in May?
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

Absolutely.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »

Absolutely. Certainly helps when you only live 1 mile west of Loyolas campus.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
Absolutely. Certainly helps when you only live 1 mile west of Loyolas campus.

Lucky you! So they have changed the format to get the Final Four for this year? In the past they had the MPSF, EIVA and MIVA conference champs and an at large make it to the Final Four. Now they have added the Conference Carolinas champ also? Will they have a play-in game?
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Lucky you! So they have changed the format to get the Final Four for this year? In the past they had the MPSF, EIVA and MIVA conference champs and an at large make it to the Final Four. Now they have added the Conference Carolinas champ also? Will they have a play-in game?

Six teams this year. Top 2 seeds get byes and 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
Six teams this year. Top 2 seeds get byes and 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5.

Actually according to this, there will only be 5 teams:

"For the 2014 season, an automatic qualifier will go to the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) league and another automatic qualifier will go to the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (MIVA) conference.  The third bid is an at-large bid, while the fourth automatic qualifier goes to the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (EIVA) & the Conference Carolinas play-in winner. "

The above is from the Conference Carolinas site.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:11:09 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:20 PM »
Are we seeing a budding Scoop romance of melissasmooth and wadesworld???    :-*  :-*

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
Are we seeing a budding Scoop romance of melissasmooth and wadesworld???    :-*  :-*

Nope, just wadesworld and volleyball  :-* :-*.  Hoping to see Loyola (3), USC (1 - most likely won't happen), Stanford (1 - most likely won't happen), and Erksine (1 + a Lightning alum who I never personally coached - won't happen) all make the Final Four.  Backups would include Ohio State (1 Lightning alum who I never coached but know very well and whose brother I am currently coaching) and Lewis (1).  ( = number of players on the team that I coached in club ball while they were in high school)

Also backups from out west would be Pepperdine because that coaching staff is full of incredible people and UCLA because I know that coaching staff fairly well.

My best guess would be that only Loyola and UCLA make it out of that group, but lots of volleyball still to be played.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:33:54 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »

Actually according to this, there will only be 5 teams:

"For the 2014 season, an automatic qualifier will go to the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) league and another automatic qualifier will go to the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (MIVA) conference.  The third bid is an at-large bid, while the fourth automatic qualifier goes to the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association (EIVA) & the Conference Carolinas play-in winner. "

The above is from the Conference Carolinas site.

The Conference Carolinas are a joke.  They don't know what they're talking about.  Each conference (MPSF, MIVA, EIVA, and Conference Carolinas) get an auto bid for their conference tournament champion, and 2 teams will get an at large bid.  Both at large bids will come from the MPSF if Loyola wins the MIVA conference tournament, and that's how it should be.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
The Conference Carolinas are a joke.  They don't know what they're talking about.  Each conference (MPSF, MIVA, EIVA, and Conference Carolinas) get an auto bid for their conference tournament champion, and 2 teams will get an at large bid.  Both at large bids will come from the MPSF if Loyola wins the MIVA conference tournament, and that's how it should be.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I don't understand how Conference Carolinas can even get an automatic bid.

MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
Yeah, that makes more sense. I don't understand how Conference Carolinas can even get an automatic bid.

"Grow the game."

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »
Nope, just wadesworld and volleyball  :-* :-*.  Hoping to see Loyola (3), USC (1 - most likely won't happen), Stanford (1 - most likely won't happen), and Erkstien (1 + a Lightning alum who I never personally coached - won't happen) all make the Final Four.  Backups would include Ohio State (1 Lightning alum who I never coached but know very well and whose brother I am currently coaching) and Lewis (1).  ( = number of players on the team that I coached in club ball while they were in high school)

Also backups from out west would be Pepperdine because that coaching staff is full of incredible people and UCLA because I know that coaching staff fairly well.

My best guess would be that only Loyola and UCLA make it out of that group, but lots of volleyball still to be played.

I've seen UCLA play several times this year and they look pretty good. The win in five against Stanford this past weekend was a great match. BYU looks good also. Stanford and USC could get hot and make a run too. I thought UC-Irvine would be better but their setters stink.
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
I've seen UCLA play several times this year and they look pretty good. The win in five against Stanford this past weekend was a great match. BYU looks good also. Stanford and USC could get hot and make a run too. I thought UC-Irvine would be better but their setters stink.

Setters are awful, coaching is questionable if you ask me.  Won it all last year with all of Speraw's players.  There's a Lightning alum on that team as well, he came back and coached with our team a couple of years ago when school let out for summer.  He already got his 2 NCAA Championships.  Let the "young bloods" get their turn.

Long Beach State has arguably the best player in the country, they could ride him through to the Final Four.  If Pepperdine stays healthy (big if) they're a force.  They SMOKED UCLA the first time they played.  UCLA is probably the best overall team, but they are not consistent yet.  BYU can ride Sander (know their coach very well as well).  To be honest, 3 of any of the top 9 could make it out of the MPSF.  I doubt UCI does because of the setting.  I don't think Hawaii or UCSB hang in there all season.  Stanford and USC probably shouldn't hang in their but they both have extremely good setters that can take them a long way and are young, so if they settle in and find some consistency it's possible.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
Setters are awful, coaching is questionable if you ask me.  Won it all last year with all of Speraw's players.  There's a Lightning alum on that team as well, he came back and coached with our team a couple of years ago when school let out for summer.  He already got his 2 NCAA Championships.  Let the "young bloods" get their turn.

Long Beach State has arguably the best player in the country, they could ride him through to the Final Four.  If Pepperdine stays healthy (big if) they're a force.  They SMOKED UCLA the first time they played.  UCLA is probably the best overall team, but they are not consistent yet.  BYU can ride Sander (know their coach very well as well).  To be honest, 3 of any of the top 9 could make it out of the MPSF.  I doubt UCI does because of the setting.  I don't think Hawaii or UCSB hang in there all season.  Stanford and USC probably shouldn't hang in their but they both have extremely good setters that can take them a long way and are young, so if they settle in and find some consistency it's possible.

Yeah I really love Shaw and Christenson! Fun to watch. What's up with the UCI coach? His lineup is all over the place and they  have a lot of talent.

I wish there were more matches televised.
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
Loyola is so much fun to watch.

I was at their general volleyball camp back in summer of 07 when I was to be an incoming freshman in high school. Shane Davis knew all the guys at the camp personally and a lot of his players helped out.

The next two years I went to the setters only camp and that was even better because less guys and it was more focused on getting better rather than just playing games. Davis is a really great coach and Mike Hutz (who is the brother for the current Loyola setter) was really good at coaching as well despite the fact that he was only a Sophomore in college at that time.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »
Loyola is so much fun to watch.

I was at their general volleyball camp back in summer of 07 when I was to be an incoming freshman in high school. Shane Davis knew all the guys at the camp personally and a lot of his players helped out.

The next two years I went to the setters only camp and that was even better because less guys and it was more focused on getting better rather than just playing games. Davis is a really great coach and Mike Hutz (who is the brother for the current Loyola setter) was really good at coaching as well despite the fact that he was only a Sophomore in college at that time.

How good is Loyola, I haven't seen them this year. They lost to USC early in the season, beat UCI in 5 and swept BYU.
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
How good is Loyola, I haven't seen them this year. They lost to USC early in the season, beat UCI in 5 and swept BYU.

Well theyre ranked number 1. They have one of the best players in the nation in Smalzer, having a 6'10" middle in Olson always helps and considering their starting setter has only played the position for 3 years hes done a pretty damn good job. They run a FAST offense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
Well theyre ranked number 1. They have one of the best players in the nation in Smalzer, having a 6'10" middle in Olson always helps and considering their starting setter has only played the position for 3 years hes done a pretty damn good job. They run a FAST offense.

Smaltzer is good for the MIVA but if you throw him into the group of pin hitters on the West coast he becomes average. He has had better efficiency numbers this year because Loyola is able to spread the ball a little more this year. Janske in my opinion is their best player. He'll be a force by the time he's a senior.

In my opinion, unfortunately, I think they get the 1 seed and a first round bye and then lose in the semis to an MPSF team. They are schematically too vanilla (set the same set each time they are in a certain rotation) and MPSF coaches will eat that up and expose them. The fact that the best team they will have played since December will have been Lewis will also be a problem for them.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I just see too many holes (Caldwell just isn't good enough and McAndrews isn't either) and not being forced to play at a high level every night to have success (like in the MPSF) as being big problems for them come Tourney time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:35:11 PM by wadesworld »

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »
The MPSF is so deep it is unbelievable.
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
Smaltzer is good for the MIVA but if you throw him into the group of pin hitters on the West coast he becomes average. He has had better efficiency numbers this year because Loyola is able to spread the ball a little more this year. Janske in my opinion is their best player. He'll be a force by the time he's a senior.

I think it will help Smaltzer that hes a RS. OH are worse blocker then RS and even some setters plus if youre a righty middle (which you should be) it always seems like they have more trouble going to their left to block.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
I've only been able to see MPSF games this season on the PAC-12 network. Any other way I can view the other conferences? Online?

Also, is Volleyball magazine the only major volleyball publication out there?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:16:35 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
I've only been able to see MPSF games this season on the PAC-12 network. Any other way I can view the other conferences? Online?

Also, is Volleyball magazine the only major volleyball publication out there?

Probably only though the schools website. I know a whole bunch of them (like MU) stream their other sports.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
Probably only though the schools website. I know a whole bunch of them (like MU) stream their other sports.

That is what I figured thanks
MU15

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »
Y'all should just get a room already and continue the three-way there, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
Youre a junior as well, right Melissa?

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:48 AM »
Youre a junior as well, right Melissa?

yes
MU15

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »

I heard he picked up the phone and called Scott Pilarz immediately to inform Marquette of his decision.

Death on call

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »
USC at BYU is the big game tonight. Should be a good one.
MU15

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »
This thread turned crappy real qwik can i reqwest we go back to the crean bashing?

feedback