[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Greg Paulus to ... the Packers?  (Read 11896 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Greg Paulus to ... the Packers?
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/13/packers-looking-at-duke-basketball-player/

The Green Bay Packers have worked out Duke University basketball player Greg Paulus, according to a league source.

Paulus is a former high school Gatorade Football Player of the Year selection who was offered football scholarships to Notre Dame and the University of Miami, but chose to play basketball at Duke.

Paulus was a three-year starter for the Blue Devils at point guard who was once named second-team All-ACC. He was a third-team Academic All-American selection.

A four-time all-state football player in New York, Paulus is listed at 6′1,” 180 pounds on the Duke basketball roster.

Paulus set six New York state passing records, including career passing yards (11,763). He threw 152 touchdown passes in 45 career games, leading his high school to a 42-3 record with him under center.

Paulus was the starting quarterback in the U.S. Army All-American game, also garnering All-American football honors from Parade Magazine.

Pardner

Re: Greg Paulus to ... the Packers?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
As a Bears fan I would love to see the Pack sign him for the defensive backfield.  When Hester gets within five yards of him, Paulus will do the Duke flop.  Put an automatic 7 on the board.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
And there you have the genius of Ted Thompson. This would be my absolute worst nightmare.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »
Hilarious....this could've just as easily been published in the Onion.  Here's hoping they sign him!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:10:44 AM »
As a Bears fan I would love to see the Pack sign him for the defensive backfield.  When Hester gets within five yards of him, Paulus will do the Duke flop.  Put an automatic 7 on the board.

As a 49er fan, I wouldn't care.

I miss seeing him teabagged in basketball!

V "Tea": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXNJQFi_R50

Green Tea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7P3pW1CAhk

Tea-ribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3q8M3wqtHI
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:18:30 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

Combining my hatred of the Packers with my hatred of Duke. Thank you, good sir.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »

+100000!

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
As much as I hate Duke and Paulus.......it should be noted that he was the Number one QB recruit in the country his senior year.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
As much as I hate Duke and Paulus.......it should be noted that he was the Number one QB recruit in the country his senior year.

He probably should have stuck to football. I'm a Packers fan and want nothing to do with any former Dookie.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »

This is assuming the O-Line can keep Cutler upright long enough to make the pass.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:28 PM »
Sounds like a natural match to me.  Plus, he'd only cost one late round pick, whereas the price for Chicago's QB was many first rounders.

S K O L   VIKINGS!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
are the people in Door County still putting goal posts in their yards to keep the Bears away?

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 05:38:56 AM »
So how about this:  Paulus was in Ann Arbor yesterday, talking to Coach Rodriguez about playing for UM.  Apparently he would have 1 year NCAA eligibility.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090415/SPORTS06/90414127/1054/Report++Ex-Duke+PG+Paulus+may+play+football+at+U-M

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
Sounds like a natural match to me.  Plus, he'd only cost one late round pick, whereas the price for Chicago's QB was many first rounders.

S K O L   VIKINGS!!

Many....as in 2.  I'm pretty certain the Bears wouldn't have drafted a player in the first round with more of an impact to the team than Cutler this year. 

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:06 PM »
Many....as in 2.  I'm pretty certain the Bears wouldn't have drafted a player in the first round with more of an impact to the team than Cutler this year. 

+1

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »
I don't know...is Cade Mcnown available in this year's draft.

I'm glad they gave up the picks, although I wish they would have been able to keep the 3rd rounder.  Most of their successful draft picks have been after the 1st round.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
Greg Paulus once ran for 457 yards, threw for 1,500, and bedded three cheerleaders in the bleachers in one quarter.

As a packer fan (and I like Thompson too -shoot me-) I am insanely curious to see if this kid works out. I'd really like the Packers to give him a try. Granted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn are as capable as Aaron Rodgers (flynn moreso than Brohm) I may not want to see the Packers end up in a Bears quartertback like hell. Should I call it now and say that Matt Flynn could be the starter at somepoint next season?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 01:49:44 PM »

C R A P   viqueens!!

2 is a couple not "many".  Typical ignorance of viqueens fans. 

Many = Herschel Walker.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
Greg Paulus once ran for 457 yards, threw for 1,500, and bedded three cheerleaders in the bleachers in one quarter.

As a packer fan (and I like Thompson too -shoot me-) I am insanely curious to see if this kid works out. I'd really like the Packers to give him a try. Granted Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn are as capable as Aaron Rodgers (flynn moreso than Brohm) I may not want to see the Packers end up in a Bears quartertback like hell. Should I call it now and say that Matt Flynn could be the starter at somepoint next season?

I hope this was sarcasm, otherwise what the hell are you smoking?  You think Brohm and Flynn are as capable as Rodgers and that Flynn could be the starter as some point next season?  I guess you didn't see the sterling numbers put up by Rodgers last year--94 rating and only the second first year qb to ever throw for 4,000 yards (K. Warner).  I think the only way Rodgers isn't the packers qb for the next 10 years is injury.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

As a packer fan (and I like Thompson too -shoot me-)

I am getting warry of Thompson.  He has Wolf's drafting ability, but doesn't seem to have the balls to make moves like the Favre trade and the White signing to put the team over the top.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »
I had Thompson's back even after he showed Favre the door.

The problem he has is he is unwilling to TAKE A RISK (sound familiar, Bear's fans?) and unwilling to admit when he is wrong.

this is a recipie for disaster.

If the packers do not have a winning record at the end of this year, and even if they fail to make the playoffs... Thompson will be gone.

and if you honestly think that Rodger's isn't a franchise QB I don't think you know football.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »
Looks like Paulus may be going to Michigan to play for coach Rich Rod.  As an Ohio State football fan I would love this

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »
Michigan has made him an offer.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
I hope this was sarcasm, otherwise what the hell are you smoking?  You think Brohm and Flynn are as capable as Rodgers and that Flynn could be the starter as some point next season?  I guess you didn't see the sterling numbers put up by Rodgers last year--94 rating and only the second first year qb to ever throw for 4,000 yards (K. Warner).  I think the only way Rodgers isn't the packers qb for the next 10 years is injury.

Thanks, mayer. You covered it for me.

I had Thompson's back even after he showed Favre the door. Me too.

The problem he has is he is unwilling to TAKE A RISK (sound familiar, Bear's fans?) and unwilling to admit when he is wrong. Agreed on the first part, but not the second. Remember Derrick Frost?

and if you honestly think that Rodger's isn't a franchise QB I don't think you know football. Nothing to add here.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »

I think I speak for all Packer fans when I say this... we don't agree with your last statement.

A. Rodgers will be throwing the pigskin for the Pack for many years.  He wasn't the reason for the poor season last year, anyone with football knowledge knows that.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 03:24:50 PM »
A. Rodgers will be throwing the pigskin for the Pack for many years.  He wasn't the reason for the poor season last year, anyone with football knowledge knows that.

Right Rodgers wasn't the only reason the packers were 6-10. But if you want him to throw for years to come then you're ok with having a mediocre team that will consistantly finish second or third in the division, Rodgers won't be a  since the Vikings have a premier offensive player and are a QB away from winning the divsion and the Bears are a reciever or two away from doing the same. All the teams are improving, while the Packers are stagnant. . The Packer run game couldn't find the endzone last year, and they are in desperate need of the third and fourth WR (Nelson and Jones) stepping up. Switching to a 3-4 D should help because the I think the LBs are the best part of the Defense. If they could inject some youth into the secondary their should be some improvements there.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 05:38:17 PM »
Right Rodgers wasn't the only reason the packers were 6-10. But if you want him to throw for years to come then you're ok with having a mediocre team that will consistantly finish second or third in the division, Rodgers won't be a  since the Vikings have a premier offensive player and are a QB away from winning the divsion and the Bears are a reciever or two away from doing the same. All the teams are improving, while the Packers are stagnant. . The Packer run game couldn't find the endzone last year, and they are in desperate need of the third and fourth WR (Nelson and Jones) stepping up. Switching to a 3-4 D should help because the I think the LBs are the best part of the Defense. If they could inject some youth into the secondary their should be some improvements there.

What about Rodgers' performance last year leads you to believe that the Packers will be a "mediocre team?"
The 4038 yards passing?
The 28TDs (and just 13INTs)?
The 63.6% completion rate?
The 93.8 QB rating?
The fact that he played through an injured throwing shoulder?
Or was it something else listed in his other stats and splits listed here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8439 that left a sour taste in your mouth?

You touched on the Packers' major issue(s): Defense (and a general inability to get the running game going--imagine what Rodgers could do with an actual ground threat behind him).

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »

I get it... his last name isn't Favre, so he won't ever measure up.  But you mentioned about 4 or 5 things wrong with the Packers last year... Rodgers was just fine. 

The Bears are a receiver away from winning the division.. however what about their aging defense that isn't getting any younger.

The Vikings are a QB away from winning the division, but as many Bears fans on this board will tell you... that may never come

Its a three team race in the NFC North, and I don't see the Packers as being that far away from winning it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »
I get it... his last name isn't Favre, so he won't ever measure up.  But you mentioned about 4 or 5 things wrong with the Packers last year... Rodgers was just fine. 

The Bears are a receiver away from winning the division.. however what about their aging defense that isn't getting any younger.

The Vikings are a QB away from winning the division, but as many Bears fans on this board will tell you... that may never come

Its a three team race in the NFC North, and I don't see the Packers as being that far away from winning it.

In all honesty I favored Rodger's over Favre. I'm saying that I don't think A Rodg will be an elite quarterback, that could easily lead the Packers deep into the playoffs. Right he had a great statistical year, he blew Ben Roethlisberger out of the water, but which one was in the Super Bowl? I don't think A-Rodgers has the intangibles to take the team that far.

As for the Bears- the packers D isnt getting any younger either -look at the secondary-
Vikings- the bear's aren't a great litmus test for judging quarterbacks

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 09:17:19 PM »
You don't have to be a great QB to make it to the super bowl, or even a Qb with intangibles, a football team is much more than a QB.

Trent Dilfer has a ring as a starting QB

I could give more examples.. but no need.

Lets face it, the QB position might be the LEAST of the Packers worries right now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »
Ari, do you understand football at all?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 10:29:15 AM »
I don't think A-Rodgers has the intangibles to take the team that far.

What does that mean?  What "intangibles" doesn't he have?  To me, this is a statement that you make when you don't like someone but can't think of a legitimate reason to justify it.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »

What does that mean?  What "intangibles" doesn't he have?  To me, this is a statement that you make when you don't like someone but can't think of a legitimate reason to justify it.

Agreed. But for fun, let's list some possible "intangibles"

1. Plays hurt. Check.
2. Handles adversity well. Check (see AR's response/reaction to the whole Favre fiasco).

Those are 2 big ones, and I came up with them in about 15seconds.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »
Agreed. But for fun, let's list some possible "intangibles"

1. Plays hurt. Check.
2. Handles adversity well. Check (see AR's response/reaction to the whole Favre fiasco).

Those are 2 big ones, and I came up with them in about 15seconds.

3.  Can grow a rockin' mullet... Check
4.  Can grow a rockin' stache... Check

What else do you need?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 12:37:01 PM »
3.  Can grow a rockin' mullet... Check
4.  Can grow a rockin' stache... Check

What else do you need?

Some pictures being really drunk.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
7 of the Packers' 10 losses were by 5 points or less. Some of that has to signify Rodger's inability to take the game into his hands late and lead the team. If you can't lead a late drive, you're gonna, lose ball games.  I'm gonna call it. I don't think Rodgers has what it takes to take to take the packers to the

Is the QB position the packers' biggest worry? Hell no but a lil bit down the line, they are gonna have to address it

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »

Is the QB position the packers' biggest worry? Hell no but a lil bit down the line, they are gonna have to address it

Why? Rodgers just played his first full season and played better than the majority of NFL quarterbacks. So the Packers need to address this need in 2-3 years?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »
7 of the Packers' 10 losses were by 5 points or less. Some of that has to signify Rodger's inability to take the game into his hands late and lead the team. If you can't lead a late drive, you're gonna, lose ball games.  I'm gonna call it. I don't think Rodgers has what it takes to take to take the packers to the

Or the 7 of 10 losses being by 5 points or less could signify the defense's inability to stop the opposing team from creating a 2 minute drill score to win the game.  No no... must be Rodgers

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
Or the 7 of 10 losses being by 5 points or less could signify the defense's inability to stop the opposing team from creating a 2 minute drill score to win the game.  No no... must be Rodgers

To your point:

Against Tampa, they had a lead before the Bucs scored ten points in the last 2:30.
Tennessee won in overtime - Packers never got the ball
Minnesota they lost on a missed Crosby FG
Against Carolina, Crosby hits a FG just after the two minute warning, only to have Carolina come back and score a TD
Houston kicks a FG as time expired
Jacksonville scores a TD inside the two minute warning

So in five of the losses, the Packer defense gave up a lead within the last 2:30 of the game (or OT) and in another he drove them into place but Crosby missed the FG.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »
And I forgot the at Chicago game where Crosby's 38 yard FG was blocked with 18 seconds to go.

But I guess that was Rodgers' fault too.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »

Haha.  You seriously have absolutely no clue about football.  If you think the Packers will have to address the qb situation a couple years down the line then just about every team in football will have to do the same.

Based on his season last year and assuming he continues to improve and stays healhty, the only QBs I would definitely take over Rodgers for the next 3-5 years would be:

Manning
Brady (assuming he's healthy again)
Brees
Rivers

In the words of Bill Simmons...."that's it, that's the whole list."

There are about 5 other guys you could prolly argue that are on the same level as Rodgers for that time period.  So I guess, besides the Packers, there are 27 other NFL teams that need to address the QB position sometime down the line.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »
And I forgot the at Chicago game where Crosby's 38 yard FG was blocked with 18 seconds to go.

But I guess that was Rodgers' fault too.

If he was the holder it would have been his fault.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »

To your point:

Against Tampa, they had a lead before the Bucs scored ten points in the last 2:30.
Tennessee won in overtime - Packers never got the ball
Minnesota they lost on a missed Crosby FG
Against Carolina, Crosby hits a FG just after the two minute warning, only to have Carolina come back and score a TD
Houston kicks a FG as time expired
Jacksonville scores a TD inside the two minute warning

So in five of the losses, the Packer defense gave up a lead within the last 2:30 of the game (or OT) and in another he drove them into place but Crosby missed the FG.

To your point
Tampa Bay - Rodgers had 3ints all of which TB scored on resulting possession
Atlanta- Rodgers' late int put the game out of reach when Atlanta scored on the next possession
New Orleans - team beaten badly but Rodger's three ints probably didnt help.
Minnesota - Total of 142 yards passing -suppose everyone deserves an off week-
Jaguars- Interception during final drive costs  (following that drive you highlighted)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 10:12:57 PM »
If he was the holder it would have been his fault.

The laces were out?

Finkle is Einhorn. Einhorn is Finkle. Einhorn is a MAN!?

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 11:34:36 PM »
A Rodg

Honestly, are you that increadibly lazy to type out the letters "ers"? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »
To your point
Atlanta- Rodgers' late int put the game out of reach when Atlanta scored on the next possession
Jaguars- Interception during final drive costs  (following that drive you highlighted)

To your point:
You don't get football if you think those games were his fault.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 08:48:17 AM »
Honestly, are you that increadibly lazy to type out the letters "ers"? 

Its his nickname

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
To your point

Uh....you said that Rodgers couldn't lead fourth quarter comebacks.  Even if I grant you Tampa, you can't expect any quarterback to dig you out of holes very often that the defense put you in in during the last two minutes.  Hell, Favre didn't do that all that often.  Furthermore, twice the special teams flat let them down when he actually *did* put them in position to win.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »

Based on his season last year and assuming he continues to improve and stays healhty, the only QBs I would definitely take over Rodgers for the next 3-5 years would be:

Manning
Brady (assuming he's healthy again)
Brees
Rivers

In the words of Bill Simmons...."that's it, that's the whole list."

There are about 5 other guys you could prolly argue that are on the same level as Rodgers for that time period.  So I guess, besides the Packers, there are 27 other NFL teams that need to address the QB position sometime down the line.

Roethlisberger, Cutler, Ryan would fall ahead of Rodgers on that first tier. Rodgers would arguably be at the top of that next tier you mentioned (Rodgers, Eli, Romo, Palmer).

Bottomline is the NFC North is wide open between the Bears, Packers, Vikings. Each team still has holes going into the year. Schedules are all fairly similar, with the slightest of edges going the Bears way. Injuries will play a major role in who wins the North this year. Significant injury to Rodgers, Cutler, Peterson will drastically sway things.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 09:59:35 AM »
Roethlisberger, Cutler, Ryan would fall ahead of Rodgers on that first tier. Rodgers would arguably be at the top of that next tier you mentioned (Rodgers, Eli, Romo, Palmer).

Bottomline is the NFC North is wide open between the Bears, Packers, Vikings. Each team still has holes going into the year. Schedules are all fairly similar, with the slightest of edges going the Bears way. Injuries will play a major role in who wins the North this year. Significant injury to Rodgers, Cutler, Peterson will drastically sway things.

Agreed about the injuries.  It should be a fun race in the NFC North next year, who know maybe the Lions will even win a game.

However, I don't think I would definitely take any of those 3 you mentioned over Rodgers at this point.  Roethlisberger obviously has two rings, but to say he led them to those titles would be a bit of an overstatement (similar to Bradshaw).  Cutler makes a lot of foolish mistakes (very similar to early Favre) and wasn't able to overcome a generous defense to lead his team to more victories than losses (the same as Rodgers).  Ryan had a good rookie year but also hasn't show the ability to make a ton of huge plays yet.  I think all those guys are just about on the same level right now, but that could all change in a year.  Stats don't always tell the whole story but they do help and Rodgers did put up some pretty good ones last year.

I obviously wasn't including any of the older guys (McNabb, Warner, Hassleback, Delhomme) as I don't think they have many more years in them. 

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
Forget the Bears, Packers, and Vikings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4083796

Lions have a new logo and a new attitude this season.  Better recognize!
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »
Agreed about the injuries.  It should be a fun race in the NFC North next year, who know maybe the Lions will even win a game.

However, I don't think I would definitely take any of those 3 you mentioned over Rodgers at this point.  Roethlisberger obviously has two rings, but to say he led them to those titles would be a bit of an overstatement (similar to Bradshaw).  Cutler makes a lot of foolish mistakes (very similar to early Favre) and wasn't able to overcome a generous defense to lead his team to more victories than losses (the same as Rodgers).  Ryan had a good rookie year but also hasn't show the ability to make a ton of huge plays yet.  I think all those guys are just about on the same level right now, but that could all change in a year.  Stats don't always tell the whole story but they do help and Rodgers did put up some pretty good ones last year.

I obviously wasn't including any of the older guys (McNabb, Warner, Hassleback, Delhomme) as I don't think they have many more years in them. 

Well said jmayer.  Plus Rodgers contract 6 years at 65 mil with 20 guranteed is easier on the cap than Ryan (6 years at 72 with 34 mil guranteed), (Big Ben 8 year at 102 with 36 mil guranteed).   

Cutler will need to be resigned soon (next 2 years), but his cap # right now around 8 mil a year is a good deal for the Bears.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »
Cutler wasn't able to overcome a generous defense to lead his team to more victories than losses (the same as Rodgers).

Agree with you here.  Cutler was 13-1 when his generous defense was able to hold the opponent to 21 points or less.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »

I took my rankings as if I were a NFL GM. Would the Packers trade Rodgers to the Bears for Cutler? Most likely. Would the Bears trade Cutler for Rodgers? Probably not without a pick/other player thrown in. I'm not knocking Rodgers here. Cutler has two solid years (1 Pro Bowl) and not the injury history Rodgers has had.

Roethlisberger has the rings, and while he may not put up fantastic stats, he's been very durable and his track record makes him the second most successful QB in the league. Since he has 2 years on Rodgers age wise, I might give you that Rodgers long term is a better option than Roethlisberger.

The league loves Matt Ryan. Forget about his cap number, if the Falcons offered Matt Ryan for Rodgers, that deal would happen in a heartbeat.

I give Rodgers credit, he proved he can play at a high level last year. No reason to think he won't put up 4000 yds, 25 TD's again with that offense around him.