Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8694509 times)

MattyWarrior

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/16
« Reply #3975 on: September 21, 2016, 09:14:50 PM »
ESPN sucks,when it comes to the Big East or anything about us, they ignore it!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3976 on: September 22, 2016, 08:05:57 AM »
So Tillman visiting us this weekend and ESPN does not even have us as a listed school. Devoted considerable ink to MSU visit.

I've noticed that, as well. It's hard to believe this is an unintentional oversight. ESPN can pretend the Big East doesn't matter all its wants. But I'm not sure how that ultimately helps "the world leader in sports." Makes ESPN look small, in my opinion.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3977 on: September 22, 2016, 08:49:47 AM »
Stan's twitter is just a bunch of fluffy bullsh*t.

How dare you sully the good name of bull$hit sir!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3978 on: September 22, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
I've noticed that, as well. It's hard to believe this is an unintentional oversight. ESPN can pretend the Big East doesn't matter all its wants. But I'm not sure how that ultimately helps "the world leader in sports." Makes ESPN look small, in my opinion.

Nothing is 'news' anymore as traditionally defined.  Everything is simply advocating for a particular viewpoint to further one's own agenda.  That's now spilled over to sports reporting.  So I guess we have to all watch/follow Fox Sports 1 just to get some coverage.  :(

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3979 on: September 22, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
The recruiting info on ESPN is not very accurate as a whole.  I know they have an anti-Big East bias, but I think this situation is more incompetence than evil agenda.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3980 on: September 22, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »

Meh, verbal commits doesn't list Marquette for Tillman either. I think recruiting sites are terribly inaccurate when it comes to school lists.

Plus, if you're a national recruiting writer (ie you don't focus on one program or state) you probably don't invest a lot of time into each story. Tillman is a top 100 Michigander with an offer from Izzo. Not too unreasonable to some he'd end up a Spartan.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3981 on: September 22, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »
The recruiting info on ESPN is not very accurate as a whole.  I know they have an anti-Big East bias, but I think this situation is more incompetence than evil agenda.

Could be. But shoddy reporting doesn't exactly make "the world leader in sports" look any better.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3982 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:55 AM »
Michigan State 64%
Purdue 27%
Michigan 9%

...says the cristal bowel. Amazing, in a short time it may show the toy-players were 100% for Marquette!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3983 on: September 22, 2016, 09:26:43 AM »
Michigan State 64%
Purdue 27%
Michigan 9%

...says the cristal bowel. Amazing, in a short time it may show the toy-players were 100% for Marquette!

Right!  It seems that the predictions get more reliable as we get VERY close to announcement dates but these early guesses, not so much.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3984 on: September 22, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »

This. I think ESPN has always been behind on the offers extended. Did Telep go there in the last year or so and made it more reliable? I still only use their site with a grain of salt.

Honesty, Twitter is probably the best spot to look for offers. I think with so many out there, it's tough to update sites.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3985 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »

Incompetence, but perhaps also a result of the race to get more info out as fast as possible.  In the pre-Internet days, "news" outlets had time to make sure their stories were more complete and accurate.  Now, someone was probably frantically hurrying to get a list out on Tillman because of the race to complete not only with news outlets, but also Twitter feeds of everybody who claims to know someone who knows someone who knows Tillman.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3986 on: September 22, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3987 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
I get that recruiting news is way different than reporting something like a game score or new coaching hire.

Kids change their minds all the time, right up until the moment they commit. (Sometimes even after.) And it's not as though schools publicly release the names of players that they've extended scholarship offers to.

So if it's such a tall order for ESPN to track down accurate information, why post anything at all about offers? Somehow 247sports.com managed to include Marquette on the list of schools that have offered Xavier Tillman — along with the dates of his 4 official visits (more information you won't find from "the world sports leader").

If Xavier commits to Marquette, it wouldn't really surprise me if he suddenly and inexplicably falls off the ESPN Top 100. Doesn't involve the Big Ten, ACC or SEC? Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:04:04 AM by Marcus92 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3988 on: September 22, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
I get that recruiting news is way different than reporting something like a game score or new coaching hire.

Kids change their minds all the time, right up until the moment they commit. (Sometimes even after.) And it's not as though schools publicly release the names of players that they've extended scholarship offers to.

So if it's such a tall order for ESPN to track down accurate information, why post anything at all about offers? Somehow 247sports.com managed to include Marquette on the list of schools that have offered Xavier Tillman — along with the dates of his 4 official visits (more information you won't find from "the world sports leader").

If Xavier commits to Marquette, it wouldn't really surprise me if he suddenly and inexplicably falls off the ESPN Top 100. Doesn't involve the Big Ten, ACC or SEC? Nothing to see here.

Just like Hank really fell off when he committed to Marquette.

Oh wait, they had him ranked higher than any other recruiting service ranked him...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #3989 on: September 22, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
Good article on Epperson. MSU interested in him too.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/09/meet_jacob_epperson_michigan_s.html

After our experience with Embiid, it's hard to get my hopes up for someone like this.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3990 on: September 22, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »
After our experience with Embiid, it's hard to get my hopes up for someone like this.

In my opinion, Ike might be more in line with an Embiid than Epperson. Kid who has only been playing basketball for a few years but has great hops, defensive tools, and is developing at a very quick pace.

Seems like a mixed bag about Epperson. He has a ton of height. Can't keep on weight (at 210 right now). Would get eaten alive in the post against high majors.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brandx

« Reply #3991 on: September 22, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Meh, verbal commits doesn't list Marquette for Tillman either. I think recruiting sites are terribly inaccurate when it comes to school lists.

Recently on ESPN.

"Xavier Tillman (No. 75) takes his official visit to Michigan State, two weeks after going there on an unofficial visit. Purdue, Florida and Marquette are also in the mix."

"Other noteworthy official visits from uncommitted prospects: Nate Watson (Providence), Hasahn French (Marquette),"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3992 on: September 22, 2016, 10:55:27 AM »
Just like Hank really fell off when he committed to Marquette.

Oh wait, they had him ranked higher than any other recruiting service ranked him...

Sometimes it's just easier to feel victimized.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3993 on: September 22, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »
Nothing is 'news' anymore as traditionally defined.  Everything is simply advocating for a particular viewpoint to further one's own agenda.  That's now spilled over to sports reporting.  So I guess we have to all watch/follow Fox Sports 1 just to get some coverage.  :(

Quite the hot taek ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3994 on: September 22, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »
One of Jordan Nwora's Vermont Academy teammates, Marcos Santos Silva 6-8 250 just committed to VCU.

https://www.vcuramnation.com/2016/09/marcus-santos-silva-commits-to-vcu/

This potentially may be good for us as VCU is one of Hasahn French finalists. I don't know how many open roster spots they have and what other portions they are looking to fill.
            ---Al McGuire

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #3995 on: September 22, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »
Yo, Legs

Yo.  Good to be back.  And a fresh MU connection with a nephew (son of my sister who went to MU) living in McCormack for its last year. Can you imagine what a crapshow that place will be over the last 6 months?  No way they will not spend a dime even to fix a screen. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3996 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
Quite the hot taek ;)

We simply have to listen to the Joe and Phil Show to get fair and unbiased reporting!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3997 on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
I can see that.
However, for us to have a chance to get Epperson we need to strike out on both Tillman and French or have someone transfer out.
I am not sure what Michigan St.'s scholarship situation is, but would Tillman committing to them remove them from recruiting Epperson. As we say you never stop recruiting, but any team signing Epperson has to have a scholarship available.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3998 on: September 22, 2016, 12:16:07 PM »
I can see that.
However, for us to have a chance to get Epperson we need to strike out on both Tillman and French or have someone transfer out.
I am not sure what Michigan St.'s scholarship situation is, but would Tillman committing to them remove them from recruiting Epperson. As we say you never stop recruiting, but any team signing Epperson has to have a scholarship available.
Epperson says he is not committing till the spring. So we will have a lot more clarity on our situation then.
            ---Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #3999 on: September 22, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
FWIW, perusing one of the MSU message boards, their resident insider (Big Bank Hank, only makes sense) said "word on the street is Marquette" in regards to Tillman.

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/95/Contents/17-MI-PF-Xavier-Tillman-Michigan-State-verbal-29297975?Page=3

feedback