[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette to change/update University Seal  (Read 21398 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Marquette to change/update University Seal
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 01:58:18 PM »
Wrong.  Both Walrus and Walruses can be plural.  And I don't think Walruses like to be called Walri.  Other than that they are very comfortable in their own skin and have complete self-awareness like dolphins.  They are mighty and would be an appropriate nickname for Marquette imao.

I think any team with a Walrus as a mascot has to play at a slow pace though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 02:00:00 PM »

There is an obvious reason why the original painting was cropped the way it was for the seal.

They didn't want to emasculate Father Marquette by showing that he was asking for directions.

You win the Interwebs today...

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 02:01:34 PM »
They should put Joan of Arc on the seal, followed by rebranding us the Warriors with JOA as our mascot.

Cool. Joan of Arc was cool. Playing up the connection with the chapel would be cool.

I don't really understand the loyalty to the seal. It's a seal. It's fine. Some people want to change it, and that's fine too.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 02:02:57 PM »

Wrong.  Both Walrus and Walruses can be plural.  And I don't think Walruses like to be called Walri.  Other than that they are very comfortable in their own skin and have complete self-awareness like dolphins.  They are mighty and would be an appropriate nickname for Marquette imao.

Totally with you on this Muggsy.

And since Walrus/Walruses like cold temperatures, we could even turn down the thermostat in the Forvm on game days and create a real home court advantage.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »

And since Walrus/Walruses like cold temperatures, we could even turn down the thermostat in the Forvm on game days and create a real home court advantage.

I'm envisioning retractable roof so we can play in the crisp Wisconsin winter air
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 02:08:39 PM »

There is an obvious reason why the original painting was cropped the way it was for the seal.

They didn't want to emasculate Father Marquette by showing that he was asking for directions.

Shoulda just used Waze. Wooda avoided dis 'hole bs political poop, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »
They should put Joan of Arc on the seal, followed by rebranding us the Warriors with JOA as our mascot.

I'm totally on board with this.  1000%.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »
If the seal is just changed to a less stereotypical Indian and Marquette isn't standing & pointing then will you be upset?

I am impressed that he could actually stand in a canoe without falling on his ass.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »

That's probably not going to happen.  University seals don't usually have people on them.

They could put Joan of Arc Chapel on the seal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »

Us Vesties could get into the team spirit by wallowing in our seats.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 04:36:41 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2021, 04:15:50 PM »
Every time MU wins as Walruses we should have a large clam/scallop bake.  Fun fact:  Walruses can consume 4K-6K clams in a single sitting. 

:)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 04:40:51 PM »
Cool. Joan of Arc was cool. Playing up the connection with the chapel would be cool.

I don't really understand the loyalty to the seal. It's a seal. It's fine. Some people want to change it, and that's fine too.

+1

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »
Every time MU wins as Walruses we should have a large clam/scallop bake.  Fun fact:  Walruses can consume 4K-6K clams in a single sitting. 

:)

QFE

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »
I mean, has anyone ever given twocraps about the seal? I sure never have, and in 20 years of being connected with MU haven't met a single soul who does. I'd say 95% of students couldn't tell you what the hell is on it.

So like, who cares what they do with the seal? This is a yawn.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2021, 07:47:19 PM »
MU has too much free time on their hands.

Let’s go solve some real problems. Poverty, hunger, whirrled peas, flat or packer cut, crawlers or minnows, cardinals or badgers....which red sucks more.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2021, 07:55:17 PM »
Given who is on the committee, I’m very concerned about what will come out of this process.

The committee is too big and unwieldy. There’s too many perspectives and we will end up looking at the here and now and not the lasting values for which Marquette stands.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2021, 07:56:30 PM »
Given who is on the committee, I’m very concerned about what will come out of this process.

The committee is too big and unwieldy. There’s too many perspectives and we will end up looking at the here and now and not the lasting values for which Marquette stands.

This ^^^^^^^^

Cluster in the making.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2021, 06:47:23 AM »
It's a picture.  I'd wager that 99.9% of people who went to Marquette could even tell you what the top half of the seal symbolizes.  I had to look it up.

The gold and red diagonal bands honor seven heroes from the House of Onaz, the maternal side of Ignatius' parentage, which distinguished itself in battle. The wolves symbolize the generosity of the House of Loyola — even the wolves found something in the kettle on which to feast.

Want the easy solution?  Remove the FP from the picture entirely since it has nothing to do with Marquette.  Or if that is too much, remove both people from the seal and use cross with AMDG around it.  Boom done. 

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2021, 06:56:09 AM »
It's a picture.  I'd wager that 99.9% of people who went to Marquette could even tell you what the top half of the seal symbolizes.  I had to look it up.

The gold and red diagonal bands honor seven heroes from the House of Onaz, the maternal side of Ignatius' parentage, which distinguished itself in battle. The wolves symbolize the generosity of the House of Loyola — even the wolves found something in the kettle on which to feast.

Want the easy solution?  Remove the FP from the picture entirely since it has nothing to do with Marquette.  Or if that is too much, remove both people from the seal and use cross with AMDG around it.  Boom done. 

I would keep the Marquette University 1881 "outer ring"

I would replace the entire interior with a drawing of the St. Joan of Arc chapel and "Numen Flumenque" somewhere. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 07:26:31 AM »
I wouldn't give in 1 inch to these pinko, radical commies. Tell 'em kiss ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2021, 07:28:35 AM »
I wouldn't give in 1 inch to these pinko, radical commies. Tell 'em kiss ass, hey?

Yes, fighting change tooth and nail.  Very effective.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2021, 09:55:10 AM »
Yes, fighting change tooth and nail.  Very effective.
Wonder what it is like to be stuck in the 1960s?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »

I would keep the Marquette University 1881 "outer ring"

I would replace the entire interior with a drawing of the St. Joan of Arc chapel and "Numen Flumenque" somewhere.

That was the change made in the mid 90's when I was there. 1881 was added in place of some flowery things. I found it amusing because just a year or so earlier Cudahy Hall opened with a large seal inlaid in the floor on the lower level that was now outdated.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2021, 05:41:50 PM »

I'd be more worried that the outcome will just be ugly. Design by committee is often a cluster. Just look at Milwaukee's (still official) flag. Everyone wants to have input at the expense of overall design and aesthetic.

Hopefully they just give the designer some notes up front, things they want to keep and things they don't, then review the mockups and pick the best one.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

feedback